Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 79
  1. #1
    What Would Freezus Do? hatfieldms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,412

    Anthony Dixon claims on twitter he wasn't allowed in cowbells last night

    I wonder why that is?

  2. #2
    If I had to guess....acting like a fool

  3. #3
    The General HD6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,305
    In my experiences going to Cowbells, that seems unlikely.

  4. #4
    Probably at capacity if I had to guess.

  5. #5
    No, he was pretty pissed about it.

    Doubtful it was because he was black, if that's what the question is.

    From my few experiences, Cowbells lets just about anything in, so it was probably at capacity or something.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO2044 View Post
    No, he was pretty pissed about it.

    Doubtful it was because he was black, if that's what the question is.

    From my few experiences, Cowbells lets just about anything in, so it was probably at capacity or something.
    I've only been to that dump once, but when I left they were doing a "one out one in" deal... And that was during a slow random weekend. I could imagine a big weekend like this one would only make that worse.

  7. #7
    Regardless of the reason, does anyone think Eli, Oher, McCluster, or Powe would have a problem getting in anywhere in Oxford? This is part of the problem. Jesus Christ our town sucks at times. Regardless of capacity, you find a way to get NFL players or prospective recruits in your club. We are the only school in the SEC that has a bar that would turn a way an alumnus that plays in the League.

  8. #8
    Yeah, I don't doubt it. Been twice, didn't like it.

    But if AD shows up at my bar- he's getting in. Stupid by the management.

  9. #9
    It had to have been at capacity, they'll let anybody in that place. The only thing good about Cowbell's on a Saturday night is the people-watching. Freak-city.

  10. #10
    That bar is complete trash

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest4Moore View Post
    Regardless of the reason, does anyone think Eli, Oher, McCluster, or Powe would have a problem getting in anywhere in Oxford? This is part of the problem. Jesus Christ our town sucks at times. Regardless of capacity, you find a way to get NFL players or prospective recruits in your club. We are the only school in the SEC that has a bar that would turn a way an alumnus that plays in the League.
    This^^.

    You want to know why Ole Miss "wins the party"? Because they don't do stupid shit like that and hurt themselves. I swear Mississippi State is its own worst enemy.

  12. #12
    It was at capacity. There were probably 60 people in line outside when I left at 1:30. With that being said, this is pathetic that they didn't let him in.

    Cowbells is part of the Starkville problem. Bars in Oxford coordinate ways to get recruits and former players in their bars. Meanwhile... We have Cowbells tweeting this at ours.

    @CowbellsSports: @Boobie24Dixon sorry if you think your more special than any other person...but we treat everyone the same.

    CowbellsSportsGrill (@CowbellsSports)
    4/21/13, 3:21 AM
    @Boobie24Dixon sorry we treat every customer equal...NFL Player or not. Every customer is important. We didn't let a lot of folks in.
    Last edited by Requiem For A Dawg; 04-21-2013 at 12:55 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem For A Dawg View Post
    It was at capacity. There were probably 60 people in line outside when I left at 1:30. With that being said, this is pathetic that they didn't let him in.

    Cowbells is part of the Starkville problem. Bars in Oxford coordinate ways to get recruits and former players in their bars. Meanwhile... We have Cowbells tweeting this at ours.

    @CowbellsSports: @Boobie24Dixon sorry if you think your more special than any other person...but we treat everyone the same.
    Holy shit. I am not believing they tweeted that. 17 Cowbells. Everyone should quit going to that bitch and show them just how much more special Dixon really is. What a joke. Is Cowbells run by Bracky's family?

  14. #14
    I sat next to him and big Pern at Applebee's last night, and after they were seated they had nobody waiting on them and after about 20 minutes Anthony had to find somebody and ask for menues.

  15. #15
    Yeah, the only reason anyone ever goes there is because they are open until 3am. I'm never stepping foot back in that place though.

  16. #16
    That is not a very smart response. Never once thought about going there anyway, but I assure you the next time comes up it will have a negative connotation in my mind.
    Last edited by TBone; 04-21-2013 at 01:05 PM.

  17. #17
    I think anyone in town would have given up spots to let those two cut in front or get into a bar. These two have worked as hard as our entire athletics department to bring good PR and some of the national spotlight to Starkville in every way they can, and they still WANT to support MSU and Starkville. If it were Michael Henig (nothing against him as a person) tried to say he was a football player once, then I think that's one thing, but Dixon, Pern, Sherrod, Banks. should get better treatment. If Jerry Rice had walked up, NO ONE in their right mind would turn him away... and these guys fall in that category.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    I sat next to him and big Pern at Applebee's last night, and after they were seated they had nobody waiting on them and after about 20 minutes Anthony had to find somebody and ask for menues.
    Not sure what's worse....that they got poor service, or that we didn't have a better restaurant than Applebee's for them to eat at.

  19. #19
    GTAdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Golden Triangle Area, duh
    Posts
    1,222

    The really have a monopoly

    considering they are the only establishment that can stay open that late. If they had any type of competition in town that could be open those hours they would struggle.
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst

  20. #20
    It was full but there was also a "We don't want any trouble" speech, which is why AD said on twitter he had never started any fights or anything at any club in Starkville. I was picking up a friend at the time and AD seemed cool about it, but you could tell he was pissed.

    I agree that we have to step it up when it comes to businesses being more player/recruit friendly. I'm not saying having underage recruits dancing on stage while drinking, but we need somewhere for them to go and have fun. We should be booking hip hop stars on big recruiting weekends.

  21. #21

    Holy

    shit. What a joke. Can y'all imagine ANY other SEC bar turning down a player that is in the NFL? Especially one with the popularity of AD. The fact that they responded with this makes me dislike this place. Who are the owners? I hate the whole "boycott" BS, but it seems applicable in this case. What a bunch of morons. Thanks for doing yalls best to make Starkville shitty, assholes.

  22. #22
    Morons. Who the shit rejects people making hundreds of thousands of dollars from entering their bar trying to spend money?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtRambis4 View Post
    shit. What a joke. Can y'all imagine ANY other SEC bar turning down a player that is in the NFL? Especially one with the popularity of AD. The fact that they responded with this makes me dislike this place. Who are the owners? I hate the whole "boycott" BS, but it seems applicable in this case. What a bunch of morons. Thanks for doing yalls best to make Starkville shitty, assholes.
    Yep. I'm all for boycotting it after that.

    But I've been doing my part since 2009.

  24. #24
    Sounds like the Applebee's I remember.

  25. #25
    HotMop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by hatfieldms View Post
    I wonder why that is?
    Kayne West said it's because Cowbells hates Black People.

    Seriously though...if anyone on this board steps foot in that place again your a asshat. (grammatical errors included for street cred)

  26. #26
    This is just embarrassing. Wow.

  27. #27
    No, the worst part is that people actually eat at Applebee's. If i want overpriced shit food and diarrhea I'll go eat whatever is under a heat lamp at the local shell station.

  28. #28

    Unless the fire marshal was standing at the entrance counting people...

    that's a BS excuse. Even if the fire marshal were there, take them in another damn door. I don't know what it is, but there's another reason the management didn't want him in the bar.

  29. #29

    Cowbells is a shithole and the owners are total douchebags. Students BOYCOTT

    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest4Moore View Post
    Regardless of the reason, does anyone think Eli, Oher, McCluster, or Powe would have a problem getting in anywhere in Oxford? This is part of the problem. Jesus Christ our town sucks at times. Regardless of capacity, you find a way to get NFL players or prospective recruits in your club. We are the only school in the SEC that has a bar that would turn a way an alumnus that plays in the League.
    Starkville has never embraced The University and Students should recognize this and do their part to force change. College age kids at normal colleges would rise up and make a statement, but at colleges in MS, you get a bunch of stereotypical Mississippians that just are like, welp, not much I can do bout that I reckon. I hope that I am over exaggerating and am just being a jerk, but being around a lot of other colleges, I see students much more vocal and involved in what is going on around them. Dixon should be pissed off and let the President know that if his presence isn't appreciated he will just stop coming to campus and recruiting on our behalf. No one likes to be treated like a bitch, and if Dixon keeps on taking this kind of abuse, then he's the fool.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    4,243
    I must be the only person on the board who agrees with Cowbells (and I don't know a thing about Cowbells ... most seem to say it's a dump of a bar). But ... when "celebrities" try to throw their weight around, many times it meets resistance (e.g., the Reese Witherspoon post elsewhere). It sounds like he must have identified himself and thought that would get him in ahead of everyone else. Personally, I think he should have to stand in line too. I doubt any were at Cowbells, but lots of alumni were in town ... who's to say there wasn't some large company CEO standing in line too? Could be. Should he get preferential service? No. And neither should AD. If someone instantly recognizable should (and AD is not by most), say Dan Mullen, should he be let in? He might be, but not if he started raising a stink and demanded to be let in because he was DM. I'll have to say I agree with a business who treats everyone equally. Why should anyone be given preferential service, especially if they start trying to throw their weight around?

  31. #31

    You're wrong for 2 reasons:

    If they fail to let him in, there are 2 big drawbacks:

    1. They miss out on the huge positive of having one of Starkville's most beloved sons throwing down top dollar and probably encouraging those already there to have even more of a good time, with alcohol.

    2. They get a ton of bad pub, and are seen as the bad guy in this scenario no matter how it really went down. Maybe if he walks into a bar in Denver or Kansas City he gets the "we treat everyone equally" treatment, but in a city where he's a goddamn hero? Wow.

  32. #32

    Jamar Chaney gets it.

    Jamar Chaney@Jamar51Chaney10h
    @CowbellsSports @boobie24dixon image how many recruits were there this weekend. U & me both know that wouldn't have a happen at Ole Miss...

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    4,243
    True, they will have to suffer the consequences. Perhaps SPS doesn't represent the consensus view of Starksvillians or even students, so there won't be an negative consequences ... that remains to be seen. But I still think they did the right thing by not catering to privileged prima donnas. They may be "dead right", meaning suffering because people think we should cater to "heros" (I like AD, but he's not a hero in the same way some guy caught in a bomb in Afghanistan and lost both legs is a hero). AD is merely an entertainer.

  34. #34

    Nobody said he was a hero in that way.

    He's a sports hero. Lighten up, Francis.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    True, they will have to suffer the consequences. Perhaps SPS doesn't represent the consensus view of Starksvillians or even students, so there won't be an negative consequences ... that remains to be seen. But I still think they did the right thing by not catering to privileged prima donnas. They may be "dead right", meaning suffering because people think we should cater to "heros" (I like AD, but he's not a hero in the same way some guy caught in a bomb in Afghanistan and lost both legs is a hero). AD is merely an entertainer.
    Perhaps SPS doesn't represent the consensus view of Starkvillians. That's the reason OM wins the party on recruiting weekend. They may have followed policy but they did our recruiters no favors by bringing negative attention to the nightlife.

  36. #36
    The only negative impressions I`ve ever had of AD I picked up on SPS. I don`t do twitter but some on here have posted quotes and statements from his twitter account and at least in that venue he comes across as uh well someone you might not want to spend a lot of time with. Maybe the bar owner reads SPS.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    4,243
    No, of course you didn't say that. It was merely an example that I was using. If you will, imagine a couple of scenarios:

    1) AD comes up, gets in line, and the owner or bouncer or whatever recognizes him and says "Hey, Bobbie ... come on in". Under those circumstances, I don't think anybody standing in line wold object once they knew who he was. Personally, if AD came to my front door right now I'd have no idea who he was. I've only seen him on the field in a uniform, which means totally covered. Maybe the bar owner is the same.

    2) AD comes up, sees the line, and goes to the owner or bouncer or whoever, and says "Hey, I'm Anthony Dixon and I want to come in and am not gonna stand in line". In that case, he'd be trying to throw his weight around ad get privileged treatment. Can't blame the owner for saying, "get in line and you can come in when it's your turn".

    I suspect it was the latter, or something similar. And if the place has a limit of 60 or whatever, how would you like to be the one that gets thrown out? Probably not very much. And if he had a small entourage with him, then several would have to be thrown out.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    4,243
    There would have been no negative publicity without a whining tweet and the posts on SPS .... I suspect if AD had acted with a little decorum, he would have been let in. I wasn't there, but I suspect he was acting like a jackass. Maybe not.

  39. #39

    I found the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    "Hey, Bobbie ... come on in" ... Personally, if AD came to my front door right now I'd have no idea who he was.
    I can now see why you sympathize with Cowbells. You're not really that big of a fan, are you?

  40. #40

    Im with RocketDawg on this...

    My family has owned multiple businesses in Starkville dating back to 1955 (father, grandfather and uncles- prob around 10 businesses) and having worked for a Starkville business owner (non-family member) while attending State 4 years, and having both sides of my family living in Starkville for several generations, I can tell you my family's business owners would have done the same thing, and most likely I dont think Starkville residents will give a flying 17 and likely will support the business owner.

    The very first thing that comes to mind is the insurance implications if there were a fire or accident and there were questions of being over capacity. And also remember, this is the same guy that got a DUI in Starkville once which is another potential liability since alcohol is being served at this particular establishment.

    Second, not all local business owners feel like MSU has been all that great to them. There was a time where MSU supported local businesses, but now it will go out of town to do business because they found a better deal. I also have family members who have closed businesses in the last 5 years in Starkville so I am speaking from my experience.

    Third, I can only speak for my family here, but they would say an NFL athlete would best be serving MSU and Starkville collectively by not using his MSU-enabled fame as a platform to bitch when he doesnt get his way like a little 17ing self-entitled cunt.

    Take it FWIW, but I'd rather Boobie just not feel entitled to do as he please in the city of Starkville and instead act like a model citizen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SixPack Sponsors

















Disclaimer: Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Mississippi State University or any other Mississippi State sports website. Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Scottish & Newcastle PLC d/b/a Bulldog Strong Ale. The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by SixPackSpeak.com. The interactive nature of the SixPackSpeak.com Discussion Forums makes it impossible for SixPackSpeak.com to assume responsibility for any of the content, including photographs and/or images, posted by participants. The ideas, suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, opinions, comments, advice, and observations made by participants of the interactive Discussion Forums are not endorsed by SixPackSpeak.com.


Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties