A former MSU hoops player and personal favorite of mine got his degree

last weekend. Glad to see he came back to State to get it. Always was a huge Phil Turner fan. Loved his hustle and passion. I was also his neighbor Freshman year in Hurst Hall. He is currently playing in China and told me he will probably be going back next year to continue his pro career.

I always liked Phil as well. Regardless of whether he should have played as much as he did and regardless of whether he was always playing the most appropriate position, the dude left it all on the court. Congrats.

I hear he started out in BioMedical Engineering but settled on Marketing*

gladtohearhecamebackku
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

Phil is one of my favorites. He played his ass off and was asked to play the 3 or 4 when he didn't have nearly the height for that. He needs to make Lettuce's basketball dirtbags team or whatever the equivalent to a dirtbag is on the court.

Cool.
    My favorite player of the last few years.
    Defensive energy level always went up when he entered the game.

2 favorite moments.
    As a Freshman, yelling at his teammates for not hustling on D. Whacked some big guy who was late back up the court(Varnado?) pretty hard.

SEC tourney, we're dogging it until Phil comes in, 5 minutes later we are back in the game, Stans calls time out and starts to fuss at Phil.
    Phil argues back and points out where Bost and Stewart had jacked ridiculous 3s as I'm yelling the same thing at the TV.

I don't know how anyone couldn't have liked Phil Turner as a player. Glad to see he got his diploma. Couldn't have been easy to do while he's still playing overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I don't know how anyone couldn't have liked Phil Turner as a player. Glad to see he got his diploma. Couldn't have been easy to do while he's still playing overseas.
    Because he hustled his ass off, played hard, and didnt put up with crap.
    His assets were his downfall. He played that hard because he had to make up for the talent gap. He didn't put up with crap and it led to arguments.

I have heard he wasn't great for the locker room, and could see that as being accurate. I could also see that being accurate because he was vocal, passionate, and didn't put up with crap all leads to locker room issues. But maybe it was others with the problems. Maybe if there had been better leadership and player effort, he wouldn't have griped as much and locker room issues would have been lessened.

I will forever love the whole way he was tossed off the team. It was then that I lost the last bit of respect for Stansbury. It's a business, but Stans couldn't have handled it worse, and it turned emotional and bickering. The whole arguing over a manager texting Turner that the season ending meeting was cancelled was classic. Turner co platelet called Stans out because there was no reason left to keep quiet.
    like I said- it seems his assets were his downfall.

Ever have one of those message board moments when you almost fired off a negative reply only to catch yourself at the last minute misreading the original post? I first read your post to say "I don't know how anyone COULD have...". Man that dude hustled. I'm not surprised that he worked hard enough to get his degree while playing overseas. Kudos Phil!

I think someone else did just have one of those moments. Yeah, I loved Phil Turner. Nobody worked harder than he did.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    Ever have one of those message board moments when you almost fired off a negative reply only to catch yourself at the last minute misreading the original post? I first read your post to say "I don't know how anyone COULD have...".
    Seems that might have happened to mstateglfr too.

I think someone else did just have one of those moments. Yeah, I loved Phil Turner. Nobody worked harder than he did.
    If I hadn't found it so inconceivable that anyone could dislike Phil, I might not have read it that third time to be sure...hilarious that someone else did what I almost did. Must be your typing!

He did hustle. I'm not arguing against that. But his numbers fell off a cliff his last year. In 08-09 he shot 46% from the field 37% from three. Going into the next year, I thought he'd be a break out player for us. But in 09-10 he shot 36% from the field 27% from three. Those kind of numbers can strain a relationship with your coach.

Well crapsticks!
    My many apologies for misreading.

Phil would jack up a long distance 3 quicker than anyone I have ever seen. I swear most of the threes he took were from beyond 25 feet. He took several from the MSU Bulldog logo on the court. But man you had to love his intensity. Ill never forget when he knocked down one of those 25 foot threes to beat LSU. It was one where everyone is screaming NOOOOOO and then it somehow miraculously goes in and everyone celebrates. Would have loved to see him play this year for Rick Ray and the scrappy group of guy we had.

It was more funny than anything else. And yes, we've all done it (most recently for me was Saturday when someone posted about Arkansas losing to Tennessee and for some reason I read it as South Carolina losing to Tennessee and posted a completely nonsensical response). Judging from the other responses, it's pretty obvious I didn't do a good job of making my point very clear to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDawg View Post
    Phil would jack up a long distance 3 quicker than anyone I have ever seen. I swear most of the threes he took were from beyond 25 feet. He took several from the MSU Bulldog logo on the court. But man you had to love his intensity. Ill never forget when he knocked down one of those 25 foot threes to beat LSU. It was one where everyone is screaming NOOOOOO and then it somehow miraculously goes in and everyone celebrates. Would have loved to see him play this year for Rick Ray and the scrappy group of guy we had.
    Scrappy and hungover. I can't wait until this batch of kids is through. My opinion of them has changed drastically from 2-0 in the SEC to now and it has everything to do with off-the-court stuff.

Phil would have just made situations worse.

I'm friends with two guys from Grenada High and they love him, but they said he got kicked off their basketball team 2 or 3 teams throughout his high school career for disputes with the head coach. Phil was right almost all the time when calling his teammates out and telling Stansbury he knew nothing about anything, but he didn't go about it the right way and wasn't in a position of authority. If he can cool it he'll make a good coach at some level or another one day in the future.

We really ended up needing Turner after his release. He was leagues ahead of Bryant. Glad he came back from DSU. If that's not True Maroon I don't know what is.
    Last edited by esplanade91; 05-14-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Haven't heard this opinion before

Quote Originally Posted by esplanade91 View Post
    Scrappy and hungover. I can't wait until this batch of kids is through. My opinion of them has changed drastically from 2-0 in the SEC to now and it has everything to do with off-the-court stuff.
    Honestly, can you name another MSU basketball team in the past 8 years that gave anywhere close to that much effort?