who says MSU and Starkville cant work together

Good deal. I can't read the article, but a convention center, hotel, and parking garage are included in phase 1. The shops and bars will hopefully be added in the future, but no real timetable has been set at this point.

Nothing's official until the "Coming Soon" sign goes up. **

Lo

This is like MSU's version

of Groundhog's Day, the movie...

Feminist
    Big, big deal. For so many reasons I can't even begin to count.

I'll believe it when I see a shovel hit the ground.

It's a new developer with a new plan. There will be no shops and bars with this developer. All he's doing is renovating the Cooley building, and building the hotel and parking. The rest of the land will be sold off in parcels so it will be a crap development compared to the former proposal. I figure it will just be chain restaurants going up on some of the most valuable and critical land in Starkville. I hate to see that because they had a real opportunity to do something special with that property but looks like it will be your typical suburbia development.

I was hoping they would give Russell Street a Main Street/Boulevard type feel by shrinking the lanes, bringing storefronts up to the street(commercial below and lofts above), adding street trees, bike lanes leading to campus and on-street parking and creating a real entrance to MSU. Oh well that's wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Steakonastick View Post
    I'll believe it when I see a shovel hit the ground.
    You'll see a shovel hitting the ground, but it'll probably just be some sum'bitch from the Cooley building swatting at a rat snake or something.

Digging that close to campus makes me nervous, burial grounds and such. Maybe there's some different tribe out there that would be pro instead of anti MSU sports
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Quote Originally Posted by YardBarker View Post
    It's a new developer with a new plan. There will be no shops and bars with this developer. All he's doing is renovating the Cooley building, and building the hotel and parking. The rest of the land will be sold off in parcels so it will be a crap development compared to the former proposal. I figure it will just be chain restaurants going up on some of the most valuable and critical land in Starkville. I hate to see that because they had a real opportunity to do something special with that property but looks like it will be your typical suburbia development.

I was hoping they would give Russell Street a Main Street/Boulevard type feel by shrinking the lanes, bringing storefronts up to the street(commercial below and lofts above), adding street trees, bike lanes leading to campus and on-street parking and creating a real entrance to MSU. Oh well that's wishful thinking.
    Not if they have the correct codes in place for that area. Which, they might not. If not, they need to get on off their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by YardBarker View Post

You have no idea what you're talking about. I would suggest you check your facts first before spouting off at the mouth. The property along Russell Street is located in a T-5 or T-6, Transect District...buildings in the front, parking in the rear, etc. Here's a link to the Starkville Zoning Ordinance along with a color coded map that maybe you can understand - http://library.municode.com/HTML/146...VIIDIRE_STTRDI. You should also be aware that MDOT/The City of Starkville has plans to dramatically change the Russell Street/Highway 12 intersection along with 2-laning Russell Street, sidewalks, a pedestrian path from Russell to Campus, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgpound11 View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. I would suggest you check your facts first before spouting off at the mouth. The property along Russell Street is located in a T-5 or T-6, Transect District...buildings in the front, parking in the rear, etc. Here's a link to the Starkville Zoning Ordinance along with a color coded map that maybe you can understand - http://library.municode.com/HTML/146...VIIDIRE_STTRDI. You should also be aware that MDOT/The City of Starkville has plans to dramatically change the Russell Street/Highway 12 intersection along with 2-laning Russell Street, sidewalks, a pedestrian path from Russell to Campus, etc.
    haha you really set me straight didn't you now? FYI, I may or may not be a land planner, so I don't have to have a color map to help me understand, but it's nice of you to point that out for me. I wasn't aware that Starkville had implemented form based codes. Great, I'm proud of Starkville. I live out of town now, but follow pretty closely through twitter and the local newspaper websites. Everything that I have read, stated what I wrote in my previous post. I do apologize for stating falsehoods if I did, though. Glad to see Starkville has finally taken the initiative to improve the aesthetics and quality of life of the community.

I was aware that Starkville had hired Placemakers to do a study for the Russell Street/12 intersection several years ago. I was also excited with their recommendations to basically add a frontage road on both sides of 12, remove the median, add sidewalks and crosswalks, and bring the future building fronts up to the street to create a really nice entrance to MSU. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought that proposal had died do to lack of funding. Am I wrong about that? When does construction start?

Nice backtracking Mr. Land Planner. Google is free, try it. If you knew about the Placemakers Study, why didn't you mention it? Or the Charette that was performed for the city? I know why, because you were too busy bad mouthing the situation and the developer who is trying to turn an eyesore into something Starkville and MSU can be proud of. If you want to know more about the proposed Highway 12/Russell Street intersection, try calling Mike Tagert, North Mississippi Transportation Commissioner.

First, I'm not backtracking. I simply apologized for making a false statement if I indeed made one. That's called being a man.

Secondly, Mr. Castleberry, I was actually involved in the charrette for the city, because I was a citizen of Starkville at the time. I have also mentioned the Placemakers study on this forum several times before. I didn't mention the Placemakers study on this occasion because I thought the proposal was dead and you still haven't proven to me that it's alive. Telling me to call someone else means you don't know shit.

Lastly, I hope you get it built and do it the right way, not the easy way. I've seen your other developments. Prove me wrong.

I'm not Mark Castleberry, but thanks, I guess. And I don't have to prove you wrong, time will.