Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mullen is 0-16 vs Top 20 Teams...

Here's the quote that should cause you wonder if Mullen will ever be a good head coach...

“I should’ve done a better job taking shots down the field to them,” MSU coach Dan Mullen said. “We were trying to protect and slowly breaking in the wide receivers.”

Seriously? Is he playing to lose the game? Did FSU protect their Freshman QB last night and break him in slowly? Wow..

Well, that's exactly what it looked like. It's September 3 and I already wanna puke.

All I've heard from coaches and the AD since we've lost is excuses.

We're being sold a bill of goods, people. The intention is to get to 6-7 wins and call it a day. That's worth 3 mega bills to our current HC. And it's the upper limit of competency.

Its not so much that we lost, but its the fact that our average margin of loss has increased by about 3 or 4 points each year since '09/'10.

Maybe that's on TR. Who knows.

Not defending Mullen here, but I hate that stat. So many of those teams were top 10 teams that virtually nobody beat.

What I do hate is that when we play these teams, we junk the playbook and play so close to the vest just to try and keep it close but still end up getting pummelled. Why not just go for broke and throw everything at these teams? A loss is a loss but at least you could say you tried.

Well throwing a bubble, hitch, flare side winder pass is a good way to break them in. Seems like he is still breaking in the coaches.

This is 17ing offensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Its not so much that we lost, but its the fact that our average margin of loss has increased by about 3 or 4 points each year since '09/'10.

We really miss Mark Hudspeth, I really believe he was the difference in our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    We really miss Mark Hudspeth, I really believe he was the difference in our offense.
    Hudspeth didn't do anything while he was here. Mullen didn't let him. Plus, Hud is a great head coach, but he's not a very good position coach. You should've heard some of the crap he was teaching our WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrubDog View Post
    Well throwing a bubble, hitch, flare side winder pass is a good way to break them in. Seems like he is still breaking in the coaches.
    The bigger problem is that our WRs can't block worth a damn. That's why we don't run more of the bubble screen stuff, and that's why we are less explosive with the sweeps and wide runs. Morrow got a nice holding call on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    Hudspeth didn't do anything while he was here. Mullen didn't let him. Plus, Hud is a great head coach, but he's not a very good position coach. You should've heard some of the crap he was teaching our WRs.
    By all means, please share.

Either Hudspeth had a positive influence on play calling, or we need to check Koennig and Mullen for dementia. No other explanation for the deterioration in the play calling ability on our staff.

And the versus top twenty stat is bullshit. Most of those were teams nobody beat. But you don't need that stat to make the case against Mullen. It was clear we had problems with playcalling last year, and he apparently didn't even try to address it. No excuse for making over $2M and not trying to address obvious problems. It's ok to try someething and it not work out. It's not ok to just sit there and be content.

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    Or Jon Banks. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgatAuburn View Post
    By all means, please share.
    I don't want to denigrate coach Hud. I like him and I hope he's our next coach. All I will say about it is that we had a WR leave our program because, and this is a direct quote from his dad, "he got much better coaching in high school than he is getting now." Hud was here despite Mullen not wanting him here, and his strengths weren't exactly being utilized.

Darth Photoshop BigMotherTucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanmudog View Post
    Not defending Mullen here, but I hate that stat. So many of those teams were top 10 teams that virtually nobody beat.
    I came here to say this. We are starting to let the Ole Miss propaganda machine get to us when our own fans start spewing this stuff. Alabama and LSU could be semi-pro right now. Up until last year Arkansas was a VERY good top 5 team. Auburn 2011 was the best team money could buy. Mullen is 0-16 against top 20 teams?? Well no shit... Noone was beating those teams. That isn't a knock on Mullen. Thats just the lot that Mississippi State has drawn.

So Hud as the Passing Game Coordinator did nothing with the offense? Really? Please explain this to me..

THIS is the biggest difference between early Mullen and late Mullen. Well, that and Croom's recruits.

"Slowly breaking in the wide receivers"? What are the practice sessions for, or did we not practice with the wide receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMotherTucker View Post
    I came here to say this. We are starting to let the Ole Miss propaganda machine get to us when our own fans start spewing this stuff. Alabama and LSU could be semi-pro right now. Up until last year Arkansas was a VERY good top 5 team. Auburn 2011 was the best team money could buy. Mullen is 0-16 against top 20 teams?? Well no shit... Noone was beating those teams. That isn't a knock on Mullen. Thats just the lot that Mississippi State has drawn.
    You keep drinking the Mullen Kool-aid and I will keep posting his record vs Top 20 teams.
    I hope he gets a win this year before he is 0-20. I really do, but after Saturday's game I just don't see it..

No, they were bowling...

Darth Photoshop BigMotherTucker's Avatar
    Im not drinking any Mullen Kool-aid. I could give two shits if he packed up and left at the end of the year, but to say we havent beaten Bama, LSU, Ark, and Aurburn BECAUSE of him is completly crazy talk. These teams are (or have been) kicking ass and taking names. We are not alone in getting the shit kicked out of us by these teams.

Records aside, here is one truth: a 5th year senior QB, experienced OL, quality and depth at RB, solid TEs, and arguably more athletic WRs could NOT score a single damn point against a Big XII defense that was pitiful last year. Mullen made not one single change in the offseason except to do away with the FB position. We are regressing on offense regardless of what Ole Miss fans may think or say.

what really pisses me off is Dan's refusal to QB sneak from under center when all you need is less than a yard.

I don't want to denigrate coach Hud. I likhie him and I hope he's our next coach. All I will say about it is that we had a WR leave our program because, and this is a direct quote from his dad, "he got much better coaching in high school than he is getting now." Hud was here despite Mullen not wanting him here, and his strengths weren't exactly being utilized.
    You want him as our next HC yet he is a shitty position coach and ran off a player because of his suckassyness. Makes total sense.

Excellent point**********

Quote Originally Posted by Hanmudog View Post

What I do hate is that when we play these teams, we junk the playbook and play so close to the vest just to try and keep it close but still end up getting pummelled. Why not just go for broke and throw everything at these teams? A loss is a loss but at least you could say you tried.
    yep, we can either play not to lose and lose to bama/lsu/a&m/etc. 42-14 by going down 28-0 in the 1st quarter, then scoring some garbage TDs late, or we can go for broke with creative play calls, trick plays, throwing on 3rd and long, going for reasonable 4th downs, etc. and maybe we create some havoc, go into halftime 14-14, get the country to turn the channel to our game, and even then if the talent of bama/lsu/a&m/etc. catches up to us and they pull away to win 42-14 in the 2nd half, we at least put up a fight. it's really rather amazing how much difference in perception the same final score can have.

Exactly. Brad Locke and others have been repeating Mullen's record versus top 25 teams like demented parrots almost since day 1 without any regard as to who those top 25 teams were.

Without looking I would venture a guess that over half of those top 25 teams were in the top 10 if not the top 5. I am not excusing our performances against OK State or Northwestern but lets be honest about WHO we have played. We have had shit luck for the last 4-5 years as far as catching teams when they are up. Georgia Tech and Houston were damn near undefeated when we played them.

^^^^^^This

I posted

the actual numbers a couple of months back (not going to search it), and it really makes this argument (can't beat top 25...20 teamz1!) stupid.
    Last edited by KurtRambis4; 09-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Was his dad his HS coach? Sounds like someone was ********.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

And one of them was OSU

Even Nutt beat a top 20 team from time to time.

Reality isn't propaganda. If fans like you never get pissed for Dan sucking, he'll never improve.

Propaganda. Lol.

You keep being a Mullen homer, but he is just not a great offensive mind.
    If he was he would have changed to more of a pro-style offense to better suit TR.
    Mullen is either too stupid or he only knows Urban's system.
    Instead of adding plays for TR, we are actually not running some of the playbook b/c of TR's lack of mobility.
    Would you not adapt to the talent you have by year 5?? But Mullen's continues to run the same offense. Why??
    He has had 2 years to make changes, but nothing has changed. Reminds me of Crooms...

0-16 vs the Top 20, get ready for 0-20 this year...

You keep being a Mullen homer, but he is just not a great offensive mind.
    If he was he would have changed to more of a pro-style offense to better suit TR.
    Mullen is either too stupid or he only knows Urban's system.
    Instead of adding plays for TR, we are actually not running some of the playbook b/c of TR's lack of mobility.
    Would you not adapt to the talent you have by year 5?? But Mullen's continues to run the same offense. Why??
    He has had 2 years to make changes, but nothing has changed. Reminds me of Crooms...

0-16 vs the Top 20, get ready for 0-20 this year...
    Mullen homer? I would have given Mullen the option of firing all his assistants or GTFO after last season so that hardly fits me.

However, pointing out that most of the top 20 teams we played were in the top 5 or 10 teams is common damn sense. If that makes Mullen a clown then there are a lot of clown coaches out there because those teams did not lose to anyone but each other.

So are you ready to Fire Mullen right now?

So we've reached the point where you guys realize you're slowly slipping back to "square one" as a program.

Fantastic.

tyler russell

Quote Originally Posted by chew1095 View Post
    Records aside, here is one truth: a 5th year senior QB, experienced OL, quality and depth at RB, solid TEs, and arguably more athletic WRs could NOT score a single damn point against a Big XII defense that was pitiful last year. Mullen made not one single change in the offseason except to do away with the FB position. We are regressing on offense regardless of what Ole Miss fans may think or say.
    tyler russell is not the answer 5th yr or not. he cannot handle an sec defense or any pressure at all. he will kill us against sec competition. did everyone just forget the northwestern game? or lsu or bama or ole miss?

Freezus was 0-6 last year vs the Top 25. Ole Miss is 0-16 in the last three years vs Top 25. You have to go back to 2009 to find a win over a Top 25.

Point being, lower tier SEC programs are going to have those kind of numbers vs Top 20 teams. It isn't just Mullen or State.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 09-04-2013 at 11:00 AM.

The problem with comparing us to Ole Miss is that they were a crappy team under Nutt's last 2 years(4-7 and 2-10) and last year was Bucky's 1st year.

We are supposed to be a program on the rise under Mullen and it appears that we are regressing in his 4th and 5th years.
    Our best season under Mullen was 2010 (9-4) with our 2nd Top 25 win being over a ranked UF.
    What have we done since then?
    We haven't beaten a ranked team, that's what we haven't done..

Quote Originally Posted by UMad? View Post
    So we've reached the point where you guys realize you're slowly slipping back to "square one" as a program.

Fantastic.
    As if OM is immune to this sort of thing. You guys were "East Bound and Down" just, what, 3? 4 years ago? Reality will slap you in the face soon enough, my brotha'