FWIW - AutoZone Liberty Bowl just updated their Facebook cover photo

And it has Mississippi State painted in the end zone.
    https://www.facebook.com/AZOLibertyBowl

The Liberty Bowl people love the 17 out of us.

It feels good to be a bowl location's clear favorite team, even if they're not a great bowl.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar

Yeah I'd say that's a good indication.

I'm telling you, this 50th anniversary for game in memphis is going to be a big deal. They wanted that bad. Earhardt said the other day on the radio that Mullen grabbed him after the Bama game outside the locker room, and said, "don't give up on us. We're going to be in Memphis."

http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/detail.php?id=6254

wow

look at all that maroon. no wander they want us back. i love it

I agree awesome picture
    MSU Class of 2011

Memories. My first semester at MSU, and we manage to beat Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, and win our bowl game against the C-USA champion UCF. Pure awesomeness....

My daughter's high school band (from out here in Georgia) was in initial stages of a plan to perform at the Liberty Bowl this year. I told Mullen that at the Atlanta Road Dawgs event and he told me then that he wouldn't be at all surprised if that's where we ended up.

Since then the band thing has fallen through, but I remember that encounter with Mullen and think it's awfully nice that we picked up the wins we needed to make that prediction happen.

This picture brings back some kickass memories

So much maroon everywhere in Memphis for 3 days.
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst

Looks like a deal was worked out...

To be honest, the Liberty Bowl is in a better time slot being on NY Eve afternoon/ night than the Gator Bowl... Which is 11:00 est. Jan 1 and starts the same time as several other bowls, plus the Liberty will be on ESPN not E2.

coldest game Ive ever been to

if I think about long enough, my ass starts to freeze.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    It always turns cold for the LB.

Freezing game. But was worth it. I remember walking around inside b4 the game and it was crowded as hell and the ucf fans would start chanting and to shut them up what did we do? More cowbell. It was glorious.

1991 Liberty we played against Air Force was colder I believe, at least I was. Got our arses handed to us too 38-15, that made it even worse
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

I was there and thought I would never make it out alive. Frigid.

Memories of this

One of my earliest recollections of existence. All I can really remember is the bitter cold... and my dad being extremely pissed off. For some strange reason, it's a cherished memory.

Yup... Not one of my proudest memories...

Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    1991 Liberty we played against Air Force was colder I believe, at least I was. Got our arses handed to us too 38-15, that made it even worse
    I agree with the peeper about the coldest game....that AF game wins the title

Well just crap. That's about like your mom walking in.

One of my first games. It was witch titty cold.

Cold as anartica and we got skull drug by a bunch of underweight white boys. Let's just say it was a terrible experience to say the least.

I was there too and I hate cold weather. Thank God the concessions had hot coffee. As far as the Liberty Bowl goes, I think it's a nice bowl. Certainly if you go 8-4 or better you want a higher tier bowl. But for teams with records similar to ours, thats a good one. What's not to like about good bbq and Beale street?

There was a regular season game against Kentucky one year that was colder. The crowd was really sparse.

Oh, The humanity!

That game was miserable. I was sitting in the end zone where the Air Force mascot beat the crap out of our mascot.

Was that game played in Philadelphia Penn? >>

Wasn't the 63 game played in Philly?**

It was, and I've heard it was as "cold as a pawn broker's heart".

Quote Originally Posted by jamdawg96 View Post
    One of my earliest recollections of existence. All I can really remember is the bitter cold... and my dad being extremely pissed off. For some strange reason, it's a cherished memory.
    This is also one of the first games I can remember going to as a kid. I remember the Air Force fans throwing cheese but have no recollection of how cold it was.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTheMiddlex3Punt View Post
    Memories of this

I played in the band at state and this was my second year. I'm in the second O at the very top, and yes it was cold as nuts.

I remember you!

I'm the guy on the 20th row, even with the R. Wearing a hat.
    Last edited by AlCoDog; 12-05-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Yes, you are correct. I was confused. It's just that team's 50th anniversary and 55th for teh bowl game, and they are honoring them.

ETA: Reply fail. meant to reply to Rambis. Having a tough time in this thread.

Yep. Last Liberty Bowl played in Philadelphia. Moved to Memphis the next year.

I'll second that.The Arky game In Vegas that we lost in about triple OT too..

The Arkansas game had a horrible mixture of rain, sleet, snow. Rinse repeat. Miserable!!

the back of my head is in that picture somewhere just to the middle right..... it was chilly, but '91 was colder in my opinion.
    formerly known as Han'some Jimmy Valiant..........

It's strange that I have been to games at the Liberty Bowl where it was nearly 110, and they ran out of water at half time, and then where it was sub-arctic
    formerly known as Han'some Jimmy Valiant..........