What would you change in general for the 3 major college sports?

For me:

Football: Bama
    Basketball: stop the crazy foul calls
    Baseball: stop the unfair scholarship stuff

SPS Magazine | Clarion Ledger Yes | No

I agree with everything except football. I'd reinstate the death penalty.
    Last edited by Uncle Ruckus; 03-21-2017 at 07:14 AM.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Football: Make bowls more merit based than just record/conference based
    Basketball: I have nothing really
    Baseball: Increase scholarships

I would say to let players go pro out of high school for football and basketball (and if not, make them stay 3 years in basketball), but those are NFL/NBA rules and nothing can be done about them.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Football: How many coaches can be on staff (not just on field coaches).

Basketball: Fouls / 2 year minimum (I know that's a NBA thing, but still).

Baseball: Scholarships.

Football: it ain't broke
    Basketball: get rid of one and done. make the rules mirror baseball.
    Baseball: double the scholarships
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by preacher_dawg View Post
    For me:

Football: Bama
    Basketball: stop the crazy foul calls
    Baseball: stop the unfair scholarship stuff
    Football: Get rid of playoff committee and go back to BCS, with BCS determining 4 playoff teams.
    Basketball: Better officiating. If can't get NBA to adopt baseball type rule, I'd say start counting early departures against APR if they don't graduate. Surely play would be a little better and more sophisticated if teams had to start looking for players that they expected to play for at least three years.
    Baseball: Stop counting football scholarships at profitable football programs for Title IX purposes.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

For all sports do not limit the money a student athlete can make on their own and allow more liberal movement.

Football: eliminate scholarships based on the finish of the season to try an even the playing field as every major sport does. So if you make the 4 team playoff you lose from 3 to 5 schollies for the following year. top 10 loses 2 and top 20 loses 1.

Basketball: play more like NBA, shorter possession clock, longer 3 pt, stop calling ticky-tack fouls.

Baseball: more scholarships.

Football- a knee down would no longer mean the play is dead. That has always been a shit rule as the defense should have to do its job and get the player down. Until then, the ball carrier should be able to touch the ground with a knee or elbow all they want.

Basketball- go to quarters for men's game. It is the only remaining version of basketball left on earth(i think) where halves are played. FIBA is quarters. NBA is quarters. High School is quarters. Women's College is quarters. Moving to quarters would help speed up the game due to teams spending less time in the bonus.

Baseball- reduce the dead time between pitches and outs. Just in every way possible, reduce the dead time.

*for anyone who declares more scholarships for baseball is what they would change, they should have to then explain where said scholarships will come from for MSU and also if they recognize the cost associated with increasing the overall number of scholarships at every university in order to comply with laws.

I genuinely love that a lot of smaller conference schools consistently compete and do well against the power conference teams in baseball. This is, in part, due to talented players being distributed around to smaller programs due to large schools not being able to offer financial assistance. Basically, more scholarships in baseball would lead a shift towards what we see in college football where there is less parity and more consolidation of talent.

Baseball scholarships are insane and need to be addressed. Six fouls per player in basketball, 26 or 28 second shot clock. I hate how slow the college game can be.
    Last edited by JungRebel; 03-20-2017 at 04:30 PM.

For all three: athletes need no longer attend classes.

signed,
    Rebelbruiser

Fumbling out the endzone should not be a turnover/touchback.

Football: must be touched to be down. i hate this rule. lets not reward a player for making an unbelievable diving catch or play.
    Baseball: Schollys
    Basketball: 2 and done. shot clock with less time. P*ssy fouls. flops = Ejection (maybe 1 warning with a T attached prior to ejection)

Make basketball like baseball: you can go pro right out of HS but if you got to college you have to play 3 years before leaving.

I disagree with this. It should absolutely be a turnover, as it penalizes a team (I say appropriately) for committing the cardinal sin of football at the most important place on the field and rewards the defense for playing tough for every yard on the field. Otherwise its essentially a mulligan for extremely poor discipline.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I disagree with your disagreement. In every other case where the offensive team fumbles out of bounds, it retains possession. Why should the defense get rewarded with the ball when it never recovered it. It should be the offense's ball at the spot of the fumble.

The endzone isn't just any old spot out of bounds! (Same goes for fumbling out of the back of your endzonedefense doesn't recover it there but get two points and the ball, even if its as simple as the snap going over tr punter's head.) I understand your point, I just think it adds a little extra importance to goal line offense and defense and like how crucial it can be in determining an outcome.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

A la penalties in the box in soccer (& maybe hockey)?

ETA: Well, maybe not. Those penalize the defense more.
    Last edited by CochiseCowbell; 03-20-2017 at 05:18 PM.

The analogy will never be exact, but sure. I like that committing a certain error at a certain point in the game could be more consequential than at other points in the game. It may not be how the game usually operates and seem odd for that reason, but that's not enough for me to think its a bad rule. Your analogy is good enough. When a penalty happens outside of the box its a 'spot foul.' When it happens in the box its automatically a PK, even if that shaves several yards off the attempt and takes away all defenders except for the goalie. Also I believe a handball in the box is a hard red whereas otherwise its just a foul (or a yellow?).
    Last edited by JungRebel; 03-20-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JungRebel View Post
    The endzone isn't just any old spot out of bounds! (Same goes for fumbling out of the back of your endzonedefense doesn't recover it there but get two points and the ball, even if its as simple as the snap going over tr punter's head.) I understand your point, I just think it adds a little extra importance to goal line offense and defense and like how crucial it can be in determining an outcome.
    Where the ball goes out is generally a matter of luck. You can fumble inside the 2 and have it go out at the 1 inch line, or have it bounce a little differently and go out just on the other side of the pylon. Yet those two scenarios are drastically different results.

If you want to punish fumblers, make it a 10 penalty to fumble out of bounds or something.

Football: Require the player with the ball to come down inside the end zone for a touchdown. No more breaking the plane or inside the pylon crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JungRebel View Post
    Baseball scholarships are insane and need to be addressed. Six fouls per player in basketball, 26 or 28 second shot clock. I hate how slow the college game can be.
    Six fouls per player is a no brainer. As bad as officiating is, have a five foul limit is too low as it causes bad officiating to have a much bigger impact. Really easy for a key player to pick up 2 BS fouls early.

Also need to change the bonus situation. It shouldn't be close to a given that both teams are going to end up in double bonus each half.

get rid of Title IX

might as well bump the bonus back as well.

Football: Change transfer rules. Walk-ons can transfer immediately (for a scholarship) unless offered a scholarship at their current school. Get rid of the untouched player down rule. And implement the rouge**
    Basketball: Call the fouls right. Two points at the beginning of the game and two points at the end are worth the same. So should any foul calls be.
    Baseball: Scholarships.

Other general things: Loosen amateurism rules. They're really grounded in the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I disagree with your disagreement. In every other case where the offensive team fumbles out of bounds, it retains possession. Why should the defense get rewarded with the ball when it never recovered it. It should be the offense's ball at the spot of the fumble.
    I agree with Jung, it's your job to get the ball safely to the endzone. Fumbling into and out of the endzone should carry the extreme penalty it does now. I think it is one of the best rules in the game and adds excitement.

I would probably go with 5 yards but that wouldn't be a bad idea either. Say if the ball went through the endzone it would be placed at the five, giving both the offense and defense a shot at scoring or stopping regardless of the down.
    Last edited by JungRebel; 03-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.

BKB: Add 2 officials, Call the game per rule book, Limit TOs to 4 ...

within regulation time and 1 TO for each OT period per team.

Revert to the previous rule on throw-ins, i.e. A player (in bounds) must possess the ball before the 5-second count.

Revert to the previous rule... Don't stop the clock after made baskets in the last minute of the second half and OTs.

Eliminate inbounding the ball from the front court into the back court.

Require the ball to be advanced into the front court within 10 seconds regardless of how the team on offense originally got possession of the ball. Examples: Rebound, steal, "jump ball", turnover, .... On a made basket, both the 5-second inbound count AND the 10-second count (to advance the ball into the front court) starts immediately. The 5-second count and the 10-second count should NOT be separate.

Back to the refs... Call the games tightly! It'll take up to half a season for the players to accept the fact that they can't grab, push, carry the ball, walk, hang out in the lane... but they will adapt. BKB was designed to be a free-flowing, minimal contact sport. Calling the game tightly will push the game back to that type of game action. Two byproducts: (1) After the players adapt, there will be less fouls committed, thus less FTs ... leading to fewer interruptions in game play (2) more scoring

Go ahead and make college football a minor league of the NFL. Divide the ncaa teams up under the NFL teams and let the NFL draft for the colleges in their farm system. Let the NFL pay the players and call them up and send them down like MLB.

And yes, I'm kidding....sort of. It would make things interesting though.

Football:
    1. Eliminate league championship games.
    2. Implement an eight-team playoff.
    3. Require teams to have a minimum of 6 days between games. This would require teams playing midweek games to have a bye (or have played another mid-week game) the week prior.
    4. Every team gets to dictate the game time of one home game of its choosing. All others can be dictated by TV partners as needed.
    5. SEC: Missouri moves to the SEC Western Division; Auburn goes to the SEC Eastern Division.

Basketball
    1. Play four 10-minute quarters.
    2. Two-shot bonus begins with the third team foul of the quarter.
    3. Eliminate the one-and-one.
    4. Replace alternate possession with the jump ball.
    5. Implement an NBA-style continuation rule to determine shooting fouls.
    6. SEC: Rotate men's tournament among NBA arenas in Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans and Orlando.

Baseball
    1. Gradually increase scholarship limit to 20.
    2. SEC: Rotate tournament among Birmingham, Memphis and Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    I agree with everything except football. I'd reinstate the death penalty.
    Can the NCAA do that just for tsun then after a couple of years go on record and say it was too rough and they won't ever do it again....leaving tsun like SMU for the past 30 years?