Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cord cutting advice

I have Uverse and 2 smart Tv's Netflix, sling, Hulu etc.. I am about to call dish network and tell them to take a hike... Only trouble is that I use my dish login to sign in WatchEspn.... What all do I need to do to get everything set up if our main watching priorities are 1.MSU Sports, DYI, Local news, History channel, A&E.....

Benedict Arnold | Scott Stricklin Yes | No

With an Apple TV and even on my phone I use my SLING login for watch espn app.

That's all I use it for, watching state games.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Why do you have sling if you have dish? Use an antenna for free locals

Quote Originally Posted by civildawg88 View Post
    Why do you have sling if you have dish? Use an antenna for free locals
    That was my question; why does he already have sling if he has the dish? Anyway, Sling, Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live can all be used to sign in to watch ESPN or any of the other cable apps (AMC, FXNow, etc.)

Also uverse? You have uverse and dish and sling?

Use your uverse sign in for ESPN.

Maybe he means he has Uverse internet. Still doesn't explain Sling and Dish.
    Last edited by the peeper; 02-11-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

NewsOn app will get local newscast for you if you can't use an antenna. I have antennas in Brandon and Starkville and get all the local networks no problem. DIY, A&E and History Channel all have apps with a lot of their content on it you can get w/ Smart TV's. Hang on to Sling Orange w/ the $5 sports package and use those credentials for ESPN and SEC Network.

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    PlayStation Vue gives you watch espn access.

If we all agree to cut the cord we can eliminate Comcast forever guys. I am in! Whose coming with me? No seriously I cut the cord on Comcast in January. 17 that piece of shit company

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I have Uverse and 2 smart Tv's Netflix, sling, Hulu etc.. I am about to call dish network and tell them to take a hike... Only trouble is that I use my dish login to sign in WatchEspn.... What all do I need to do to get everything set up if our main watching priorities are 1.MSU Sports, DYI, Local news, History channel, A&E.....
    I have Roku and a Hulu Live subscription that gives me access to WatchESPN. My HuluLive also gives me 30 hours of cloud DVR and access to FOX and CBS LOCAL channels here in Starkville area so I can get all football games except those on ABC and local news. There are about fifty channels that it carries live in my subscription category. I know it has History, SEC network and HGTV as live channels.

Plus u get access to all HULU original program, all their movie and tv catalog.

I did PlayStation Vue before, but I like Hulu better because of all the extra tv and movie options u get for same price plus cloud dvr. I tried Sling, too for a short time.

YouTube is rolling out a live tv subscription service but it is only in select areas so u may want to check that out too.
    Last edited by MaroonBelle; 02-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Iím about tired of Hulu live

Great concept, but itís starting to buffer like crazy. If thereís a major sporting event just prepare for the buffer.

anyone have those issues with the other services? Think Iím about to switch.

I'm a big fan of Playstation Vue. I meant to give Hulu Live a free trial during football season, but I never got around to it. I rarely have any buffering issues with Playstation Vue and the picture quality is excellent. Cloud DVR only stores programs for 28 days, so if there is anything you want to keep you need to burn it to DVD or something. Lots of On Demand content as well.

I used to not really recommend Playstation Vue for Roku because their app was incredibly inferior to the app for Fire TV. They have corrected it, and now the apps for both devices are very similar. Navigation on both apps can be a little clunky, though, so sometimes its hard to find the program you are looking for.

Playstation Vue is now Alexa-compatible, so if you have a Fire TV with voice control you are set. Hulu is also Alexa-compatible, so I suspect Hulu Live offers voice control as well.

Vue is a great cord cutter option but they did not have the History or the Weather Channel when I was on there. Have they added these yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgzilla View Post
    That was my question; why does he already have sling if he has the dish? Anyway, Sling, Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live can all be used to sign in to watch ESPN or any of the other cable apps (AMC, FXNow, etc.)
    I have Uverse Internet....I live in the sticks... according to the ATT website, I can't get UVerse TV option... I just recently got the smart TV's so now im trying go figure out what I can do to get rid of dish...

They still do not have the Hitler channel, but they do have Nat Geo. And no weather channel, and I don't mean to criticize anyone's viewing choices, but you can get all the weather info you want all over the place.

YouTubeTV released AppleTV and Roku apps last week. It’s a phenomenal service. Locals, all the ESPNs, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, CBS Sports and more. $35.99 per month. After taxes and fees, $39.99.

Unlimited DVR, WatchESPN access, 6 accounts (DVR for each) and 3 simultaneous streams. I couldn’t be more pleased and all the reviews are stating it’s hands down the best streaming service already.

7 day free trial. You won’t regret it.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

I really didn't see any advantage to Youtube TV, other than the 9 month DVR storage as opposed to just 28 days on Playstation Vue. I suppose it is worth a free trial, but I'll probably wait until the NCAA Tournament.

Find the service that best fits you and has watchespn

After that, rotate specialty services and look into NBA and MLB.tv if that appeals to you.

Bookmarking this for when he canít get access to something.

I did the unthinkable this week and left the cord cutting scene. Comcast is the only option in my neighborhood and my internet promo just expired. So I bundled internet plus tv and will pay roughly the same as my new internet only rate + PS Vue. Also have tripled the internet speed with this bundle. The picture on my 55" tv is more clear with Comcast HD over Vue. When I had a smaller screen I could see no difference. So I'm one of the few happy with tying the cord again.

It sounds silly but cutting the cord and being behind twitter and those watching something in person or using a cord is a really bad experience

watchedthe super bowl on a stream and my kid was texting me stuff before things happened
    Last edited by 8dog; 02-11-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    It sounds silly but cutting the cord and being behind twitter and those watching something in person or using a cord is a really bad experience

watchedthe super bowl on a stream and my kid was texting me stuff before things happened
    Same way when we have to watch something on WatchESPN or SECN+ (best I can tell they're the same). I remember last year in baseball the stream was about a minute behind the real action. Not to mention it's not very dependable. I'll stick with paying for satellite.

They still do not have the Hitler channel, but they do have Nat Geo. And no weather channel, and I don't mean to criticize anyone's viewing choices, but you can get all the weather info you want all over the place.
    Is the Hitler Channel equivalent to the American Pickers Channel (which, BTW, has some bonus American Pickers on now for some reason)? Nat Geo was the Drug Channel for a long time but not so much lately.

I noticed that. I was switching back and forth the other day just to compare the picture and noticed that Vue was a good 45 seconds behind cable. Not that it matters if your not in touch with the outside world while watching.

I really didn't see any advantage to Youtube TV, other than the 9 month DVR storage as opposed to just 28 days on Playstation Vue. I suppose it is worth a free trial, but I'll probably wait until the NCAA Tournament.
    From a college sports perspective:
    YouTubeTV has 1 package thatís $35.99. With that you get local channels, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Southeast, NBC Sports Network, Big10 Network & CBS Sports.

With Vue, the base ďAccessĒ package ($39.99) youíll only get ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2 & NBC Sports Network.
    You can upgrade to the ďCoreĒ package ($44.99) and get ESPN News, ESPNU, Fox Sports, Foxs Sports South, Big10 Network & SEC Network.

YouTube does not have any Turner networks, but I'm pretty sure there are NCAA sponsored apps/websites for viewing tournament games.

Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    YouTubeTV has 1 package that’s $35.99. With that you get local channels, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Southeast, NBC Sports Network, Big10 Network & CBS Sports.

With Vue, the base “Access” package ($39.99) you’ll only get ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2 & NBC Sports Network.
    You can upgrade to the “Core” package ($44.99) and get ESPN News, ESPNU, Fox Sports, Foxs Sports South, Big10 Network & SEC Network.

YouTube does not have any Turner networks, but I'm pretty sure there are NCAA sponsored apps/websites for viewing tournament games.
    Do you have to watch youtube through your laptop and the Apple TV displays it on your flatscreen or does Apple TV have a youtube app in it that you manage all the channels through that way?

Every time I look into cord cutting, I come back to the same conclusion that Comcast/XFinity bundle is still my best option. And honestly, other than the premium price, both Internet and TV have been outstanding. And, despite what you hear, their customer service has been good every time I've needed to use it (which isn't often).

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG61 View Post
    Do you have to watch youtube through your laptop and the Apple TV displays it on your flatscreen or does Apple TV have a youtube app in it that you manage all the channels through that way?
    I don't even own a laptop. There is an iOS app called "YouTube TV" that works on the AppleTV (new generations), iPads, iPhones, etc. You can also watch it thru the Chrome web browser on a PC/laptop.

I too was surprised how well my customer service experience went. I didn't want to talk to some foreigner that I couldn't understand so I sent in a request for a price quote through their feedback feature. Listed exactly what I wanted and I got a final list including taxes, fees and all via email. Took a few emails of going back and forth on specific features but got it all in writing and never talking to a person other than the onsite tech. He had to come out to switch over a cord previously set to DTV by another owner. Easy transaction.

A $26 antenna in my Starkville attic got all the networks and their sub stations, total of about 12 stations. Upgraded it and put it onto an old satellite dish post on the roof and now get a couple stations from Tuscaloosa and somehow a couple from Birmingham in addition to the original ones.

Thing is, there's getting your weather and then theres' getting your weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Do you have a friend or relative that will give you their login info? I use my brother's directtv account and use an apple tv. I pay for hulu and netflix, then use a leaf antenna for local programming. Ran it up my wall into the attic and have a perfect signal nearly all the time. In my opinion the best thing is to find a friend or relative for login info. But, Hulu does have live TV as well that includes ESPN (I believe?)

YouTubeTV released AppleTV and Roku apps last week. It’s a phenomenal service. Locals, all the ESPNs, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, CBS Sports and more. $35.99 per month. After taxes and fees, $39.99.

Unlimited DVR, WatchESPN access, 6 accounts (DVR for each) and 3 simultaneous streams. I couldn’t be more pleased and all the reviews are stating it’s hands down the best streaming service already.

7 day free trial. You won’t regret it.

Agree......switched from Vue at the start of the football season to youtube.TV and love it. No app yet for my amazon fire, but signing up I got a free chromecast and I just cast from phone to tv. Very......Very.....Very few problems with them so far.

YouTubeTV has 1 package that’s $35.99. With that you get local channels, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Southeast, NBC Sports Network, Big10 Network & CBS Sports.

With Vue, the base “Access” package ($39.99) you’ll only get ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2 & NBC Sports Network.
    You can upgrade to the “Core” package ($44.99) and get ESPN News, ESPNU, Fox Sports, Foxs Sports South, Big10 Network & SEC Network.

I'm still paying 34.99 for the the "Core" package. Guess I need to look into YouTubeTV before they jack up my price.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh's Burner Phone View Post
    Thing is, there's getting your weather and then theres' getting your weather.
    While I do love me some Steph Abrams (both of her)........get a free weather app on your phone and there are plenty of hot women on Al Gore's intersnet......for free.

Been contemplating cutting the cord for over a year now. Finally pre-paid for 2 months of DirectvNOW, only because I get a free Fire TV box from it. If you signed up for 3-months pre-paid, you got an Apple TV box. Figured it'd only take me 2 months or so to decide.
    "State can only hope to reach the level of success that southern cal, florida, alabama, lsu, and Mississippi reach year in and year out" - KurtRambis4

Iíve got C-Spire fiber giving me up to 300-400 Mbps and use PlayStation Vue. The total cost is about $100 less that AT&T and the broadband is much better. The key advantage to Vue is you can watch on up to five devices at once.

Advantages of youtube.tv are:

Its lineup is sports programming heavy (All ESPNs, SEC Net, FS1 & FS2, Fox Sports Regionals, NBC Sports, Big 10 Net, CBS Sports, NBC Golf, Tennis Channel)

You can share your account with 6 people (they can login anywhere in the us)

unlimited cloud recording that stay available for 9 months. No storage limits. (This is so much better than Vue, Genie, or Hopper IMO)

Can cast from from portable device to TV using Google Chromecast.

App is available on Roku and Apple TV. (Currently not available on Amazon Fire).

Compare streaming services by device, location, channel, etc at the link below

https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=133&f=1l...l1&r=Bk5Qz5gPf

Well, this just confirms once again that cord cutting for me is a choice between saving money and not getting a lot of the channels I want, or get the channels I want but not save any real money. Comcast still by far the best and most convenient option for me. Good link though.