Former MSU Associate AD Scott Wetherbee cuts 4 sports at Eastern Michigan.

Softball, wrestling, women's tennis and men's swimming and diving programs.

Link.

Benedict Arnold | Scott Stricklin Yes | No

That was hard to watch. That's a very tough call to make.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

I thought wrestling would be a big deal up North. Maybe not to them.

I expect other ADs will be facing the same problems over the next decade.

Even the gravy train breaks down every once in a while.

Regional universities are in trouble across the country. We only have one true regional university in MS - Delta State. USM sounds regional but operates on a statewide model somewhat effectively. States like Michigan and Alabama that have multiple regional universities are struggling - this won't be the last of the cuts we see.

I do believe we will see an FBS program cut football in the next five years.

What's tougher about this is that their men's swimming team was pretty dang good. 34 MAC titles. That's getting close to Kentucky basketball conference domination level.
    Last edited by 615dawg; 03-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Mississippi Southern's day is coming...

It is my understanding that USM's football assistant's coaching staff is the lowest paid in CUSA and including the Sun Belt. They have real financial issues and it would not surprise me to see them move down to FCS level eventually. Reality is going to be a tough pill for what few fans they have.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Varney View Post
    Mississippi Southern's day is coming...

It is my understanding that USM's football assistant's coaching staff is the lowest paid in CUSA and including the Sun Belt. They have real financial issues and it would not surprise me to see them move down to FCS level eventually. Reality is going to be a tough pill for what few fans they have.
    Therein (in bold) lies the problem. If nobody much cares, much will be cut.

My sister and cousin went to USM. They are huge State fans.

USM fan(s) = pre-Bama fans

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The sports bubble is going to pop for alot of schools across the country. Higher education in America is suffering across the board. So much money goes out (salaries, facilities, travel, etc.) with so much NOT coming in. Colleges and athletic departments are going to have to make some tough choices soon. The smaller schools will be hurt the most. It's a cruel cycle of not being able to compete because of money and losing money because they cant compete. Athletic Director at a small school is not a job I would want, for sure. I hate it for him. That decision effected dozens of families. Not just coaches, either. Those students lost scholarships and I bet some of them won't be wanted by other schools forcing them to pay for school and racking up loans or not graduating at all.

times are tough.....

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by dogwhisperer View Post
    The sports bubble is going to pop for alot of schools across the country. Higher education in America is suffering across the board. So much money goes out (salaries, facilities, travel, etc.) with so much NOT coming in. Colleges and athletic departments are going to have to make some tough choices soon. The smaller schools will be hurt the most. It's a cruel cycle of not being able to compete because of money and losing money because they cant compete. Athletic Director at a small school is not a job I would want, for sure. I hate it for him. That decision effected dozens of families. Not just coaches, either. Those students lost scholarships and I bet some of them won't be wanted by other schools forcing them to pay for school and racking up loans or not graduating at all.

times are tough.....
    In the University’s defense, they are honoring the academic scholarship for all of the players for the remainder of their college time. They also stated that if they wanted to go play elsewhere, they would help them.

Bad situation, but at least their education is still provided for.

Unfortunate. Its the unfortunate end result for some when everyone tries to keep up with the Jones family.
    College athletics has outpaced sustainable and level growth, and it will eventually correct itself.
    It appears it is doing that for some across the country in reduced attendance and revenues. The bell curve is perhaps just starting.

EMU had the most athletics programs in the MAC though, so that perspective needs to be kept.

Very few win in the long run of an arms race.

Any guesses when will we see coaches' salaries scaled back?

Before or after 2025?

Quote Originally Posted by dogwhisperer View Post

times are tough.....
    Been preaching this for a long time. Technology/education/college sports is a three headed monster that is eating itself alive.

When UAB cut its football program their scholarships were still honored by the school. I assume this is the model nation-wide when a school cuts a program.

Quote Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
    Unfortunate. Its the unfortunate end result for some when everyone tries to keep up with the Jones family.
    College athletics has outpaced sustainable and level growth, and it will eventually correct itself.
    It appears it is doing that for some across the country in reduced attendance and revenues. The bell curve is perhaps just starting.

EMU had the most athletics programs in the MAC though, so that perspective needs to be kept.

Very few win in the long run of an arms race.
    This is all it is. It's a tournament dynamic, and that pretty much always works out to be a net loss if you look at all the participants as a whole, with only a few getting rich and most losing small or big.

It's really hard for athletic directors to do because a lot of donors care about football, but most programs outside of the Power5 would have been better off making a decision long ago to not field a football team and try to focus on men's basketball and then competing in niche sports.

Alternatively, the Power5 needs to form it's own division with its own championship.
    Last edited by johnson86-1; 03-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Depends if the bears keep paying triple what they have to for coaches.**