Jake has a real chance to be the SEC's all-time hits leader

If he returns. Nobody would fault him for moving on, but we could really use some leadership as we transition to a new staff in a new stadium. I just wish we had more around him this season, but the young guys have some ability.

Benedict Arnold | Scott Stricklin Yes | No

Jake is a late 2nd or 3rd round pick. You gotta think he is gone.

But where does he stand in the record books in fly outs?**

Are you confident that a slap singles hitter playing center field is a sure fire 2 nd or 3 rd round pick? Is that what most of the 30 teams are looking for today in an outfielder? Is an attacking aggressive lead off guy or 9 hole hitter who switch hits and will probably hit .260 to .270 at the next level what MLB teams are looking to draft?

I think Jake has some work to do. I think because he is a contact aggressive hitter, he needs to up his base stealing exponentially. He also needs to play some corner outfield.

Just asking some questions I suspect scouts may ask.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Good points, but size wise and offensively, i think Jake compares very similar to Adam Frazier who has done really well for himself.

I donít see it happening but if you listened to Cohens interview on OOB the other day, Cohen mentioned this. I thought that was interesting what he was saying. He was saying how Jake is a kid who is not necessarily about the money and is ultra competitive and could see him deciding to stay for his senior year to break the record and get his degree. Very interesting

Every mock draft that I have seen for the last year has him very late 2nd or 3rd round. He is a great defensive centerfielder with plus speed & a very strong arm. He will always hit for average and will steal some bases at every level. His drawbacks will be that he strikes out too much for a lead-off guy, he does not take a lot of pitches & as a result never walks, and he lacks power. Adam Frazier has been in the majors for 3 plus years now & his profile pre-draft was not nearly as good as Jake's profile. I would luv to have Jake next year @ MSU to play with all these talented sophomores, but I just don't see it happening.I really hope that I am not correct.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Are you confident that a slap singles hitter playing center field is a sure fire 2 nd or 3 rd round pick? Is that what most of the 30 teams are looking for today in an outfielder? Is an attacking aggressive lead off guy or 9 hole hitter who switch hits and will probably hit .260 to .270 at the next level what MLB teams are looking to draft?

I think Jake has some work to do. I think because he is a contact aggressive hitter, he needs to up his base stealing exponentially. He also needs to play some corner outfield.

1) Was his hit in the 8th last night a slap single?

2) In what universe are you expecting him to top out at .260 - .270? He hit over .400 and won the SEC batting title as a true freshmen. Heís been a steady .330 - .340 ever since (with a very impatient plate approach) even with every pitcher in the league scouting him exclusively as one of the only offensive weapons in our lineup. Once he improves his plate discipline in the minors, the sky is the limit. He can flat out hit a baseball.

He will not be back.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shamoan View Post
    If he returns. Nobody would fault him for moving on, but we could really use some leadership as we transition to a new staff in a new stadium. I just wish we had more around him this season, but the young guys have some ability.
    Take a look at the roster of any decent college baseball team and you will find maybe 1 or 2 seniors. The reason is simple. Your choices are, keep pulling money out of my own (parents) pocket to play college ball or get paid to play baseball. The only way staying in school makes any sense is if you believe it will increase your draft status and that obviously is not the prevailing wisdom.

Mangum is not even in the discussion of coming back. Maybe a couple of other but Jake is as good as gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Grove Dawg View Post
    Every mock draft that I have seen for the last year has him very late 2nd or 3rd round. He is a great defensive centerfielder with plus speed & a very strong arm. He will always hit for average and will steal some bases at every level. His drawbacks will be that he strikes out too much for a lead-off guy, he does not take a lot of pitches & as a result never walks, and he lacks power. Adam Frazier has been in the majors for 3 plus years now & his profile pre-draft was not nearly as good as Jake's profile. I would luv to have Jake next year @ MSU to play with all these talented sophomores, but I just don't see it happening.I really hope that I am not correct.
    Yep, you hit it. If I'm being objective in evaluating Mangum the biggest knock on him is definitely that he has little to no plate discipline. He has improved it ever so slightly over his time at MSU but he still strikes out way too much and has too few walks for a lead off hitter. All in all though, with all of his positives, he will be Top 10 round pick and will almost be a guarantee to not be back.

As a senior, you lose all of your negotiating leverage as well.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

One thing that is easy to overlook when projecting Mangum to the next level, but you can believe the scouts are looking at it, is that he's one of the rare outfielders who routinely turns doubles and triples into singles and outs. That saves more runs than you would think, and it's worth a more than an extra 20 points on a batting average.

Quote Originally Posted by thekimmer View Post
    Take a look at the roster of any decent college baseball team and you will find maybe 1 or 2 seniors. The reason is simple. Your choices are, keep pulling money out of my own (parents) pocket to play college ball or get paid to play baseball. The only way staying in school makes any sense is if you believe it will increase your draft status and that obviously is not the prevailing wisdom.

Mangum is not even in the discussion of coming back. Maybe a couple of other but Jake is as good as gone.
    I'm not arguing that Jake will or should stay, but there would be some value to him coming back and being the SEC's all-time hits leader. If he's coming back to the Southeast after baseball, I think being the all time SEC hits leader has more cachet than a moderately successful 4 or 5 year stint in the majors. I also think it gives him a little more of an in if he wants to go the college sports broadcasting/media route. Hell, it's probably more valuable if he just ends up coming back and going into sales in the Southeast.

Not sure how that compares to the leverage lost by being a senior with no more eligiblity, but it is something.

Quote Originally Posted by AlCoDog View Post
    Good points, but size wise and offensively, i think Jake compares very similar to Adam Frazier who has done really well for himself.
    The difference is Frazier was here in the dead-ball era. His power numbers went up as soon as he went to the minors. Jake compares more to Robson to me from a hitting standpoint.

I wouldn't think being the all time SEC leader in hits would raise his earning potential.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

WTF? Do you even halfway think about the things you post??

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    I'm not arguing that Jake will or should stay, but there would be some value to him coming back and being the SEC's all-time hits leader. If he's coming back to the Southeast after baseball, I think being the all time SEC hits leader has more cachet than a moderately successful 4 or 5 year stint in the majors. I also think it gives him a little more of an in if he wants to go the college sports broadcasting/media route. Hell, it's probably more valuable if he just ends up coming back and going into sales in the Southeast.

Not sure how that compares to the leverage lost by being a senior with no more eligiblity, but it is something.
    What?

Some of ya'll are eating bath salts this morning

I couldn't even tell you today who the all-time SEC hits leader is. Mangum will be remembered for his college days just as much whether he leaves this year or comes back and sets the record. And, as others have pointed out, if you come back you lose all contract leverage plus put yourself 1 year behind in your professional development. If you think you've got a chance at the majors, you really need to leave after 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    One thing that is easy to overlook when projecting Mangum to the next level, but you can believe the scouts are looking at it, is that he's one of the rare outfielders who routinely turns doubles and triples into singles and outs. That saves more runs than you would think, and it's worth a more than an extra 20 points on a batting average.
    But bruiser says he needs to be a corner outfielder, you know, the spots usually reserved for power hitters with lesser defense