Who had the most disappointing exit Egg Bowl?

All Egg Bowls that we lose are gut punches, but some are unforgivable and unforgettable.

Which departure Egg Bowl loss stings the most over the last 20 years?

Jackie Sherrill 2003 MSU loss 31-0 to 17 th ranked OM

Sylvester Croom 2008 MSU loss 45-0 to 25th ranked OM

Don Megan 2017 MSU barely losses to sucker punch, cheap shot, shitty Ole Miss.

I know they all suck, but which one really hurt the most?

Benedict Arnold | Scott Stricklin Yes | No

The clear answer here is 2017.

Beat a bad Ole Miss team in Starkville....

and we go play Notre Dame in the Citrus Bowl. It’s that one hands down.

For me the 2017 EB doesn’t sting as near as bad as the 2015 or the 2014 one. But out of these options, 2017

ETA: just saw you worded the question as an “exit” game. So 2017

Quote Originally Posted by natchezdawg View Post
    and we go play Notre Dame in the Citrus Bowl. It’s that one hands down.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Allday View Post
    All Egg Bowls that we lose are gut punches, but some are unforgivable and unforgettable.

Sylvester's 45-0 lost, in hindsight, was the catalyst that forced Ninja to act and become the first SEC athletic director in history to fire a black head coach. It was painful at the time, but it was necessary, and worth it.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

With Sherill we knew it was the end of the ride. Croom's was a blessing since it ushered him out the door. Mullen's was one we obviously should have won and it included a bad injury to the QB. Mullen's for sure.

Though not a coach, Dak's exit in 2015 was pretty disappointing. Granted they were a better team than us that year.

Jackie Sherrill's last game was embarrassing

1983 wind bowl. God didn't like us that day.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

15-14. Didn’t mean as much in the scope of things, but we had to be reminded of it every time a Golden Flake commercial would play.
    It wasn’t a departure game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg1976 View Post
    No. That was the "Satanic Deflection Game".

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

The 1981 Egg Bowl

That one hurt worse than any of the others. Why? Because Emory Bellard lost his nerve, and didn't wait until the last second to kick the field goal. Also, because of the cheap Pass Interference Penalty by Dick Pace. Finally, because that was our last impression of John Fourcade in an Ole Miss uniform...the only time he ever came through in the clutch.

Too bad there are no professional teams that wear maroon. it seemed Fourcade saved his best games for us.

Only one I attended in person was 2003. It didn't really sting. It was Jackie's swan some and we knew we would get crushed. We the Kang came running out of the tunnel for senior day it put it all in perspective.

I was thankful for the 2008 beat down.

2017 was more embarrassing than 2003. We lost to a far inferior team that day.

2017 hands down. I was so sick of Croom I was actually pulling for OM so he’d be fired.

The 2008 Crxxm game doesn't belong on this list

How about we let our neighbors up north share in our pain —- Houston Nutts exit in 2011 was special. Blow out Croom in 2008, then lose 3 straight egg bowls to that Mullen asshole. Down 31-3 in the fourth they finally score a TD in the closing seconds just to have it reviewed and taken away, L.O.L. Gives us our 6th win to be bowl eligible for the second consecutive season and go on to become (as Mullen would say) Music City Bowl CHAMPIONS.
    Last edited by kired; 07-11-2018 at 07:48 AM.

The original question was the most dissappointing EXIT EB.....

Quote Originally Posted by Allday View Post

This thread has morphed somewhat into the most disappointing overall so I will answer both.

Most disappointed exit EB had to be 2017 for one simple reason. We were favored to win. Every other exit EB in the last 3 generations has been an exit EB because the coach was fired and in such cases a loss was not unexpected.

The most disappointing overall was 2014 for two reasons. First was again because we were favored to win against a good but injury riddled bear squad. Second was because a playoff spot was at stake. But instead of winning the egg we laid one.

I like it. How about this one....

Quote Originally Posted by kired View Post
    How about we let our neighbors up north share in our pain —- Houston Nutts exit in 2011 was special. Blow out Croom in 2008, then lose 3 straight egg bowls to that Mullen asshole. Down 31-3 in the fourth they finally score a TD in the closing seconds just to have it reviewed and taken away, LOL. Gives us our 6th win to be bowl eligible for the second consecutive season and go on to become (as Mullen would say) Music City Bowl CHAMPIONS.
    The beav's 2016 exit was very special and was especially humiliating to the loan sharks. Fancy's pre-game bluster about 'snitches get stitches'. Nick Fitz coming out party, hanging 55 on the sharts in oxfart capped by a pick six. The win allowing us to sneak into bowl eligibility on a technicality.

There have been a lot.

1992 in oxford. 18** chances to score inside the 10. OM got away with some penalties, but really that shouldn’t have mattered. It was cold as 17.

ETA: from the list, 2017.
    Last edited by boatsandhoes; 07-11-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: from the list

It is really disheartening to see how many of you simply didn't read or didn't understand the question.
    "At South Panola we still honor what the word commitment means"-Lance Pogue

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Leaving at halftime in the cold rain storm vs Eli in Starkville. Having to walk under the stadium hearing all those 17'ers do the Hottdy Toddy cheer as State fans bowed their heads and exited in a line in what resembled a parting of the red sea is a memory that will always stick. I think the final was 30-0 and it may have been 23-0 at the half. Can't remember their score. I remember our 0 though.

ETA: I didn't notice at first glance but you said "exiting" Egg Bowl as in coach leaving, however my post still works here.
    MSU Class of 2011

Side story on 2008 Egg Bowl. Went to Oxford with my dad to see the game. (What the hell were we thinking) Anyway, after the loss we make it to the car and we are hauling ass out of town. Highway Patrol lights us up on 278 I think. Dad pulls over and cop comes to the window. "License and registration, please. Sir, the reason I pulled you over is you were doing 70 in a [whatever the limit was]."
    Dad says "Sorry officer we were just trying to get as far away from that beating as we could."
    Officer goes to his patrol car to run everything. Comes back up to the window and says, "I'm gonna let you go. I don't want to be responsible for two ass-whippings in one day." All three of laughed so hard on the side of the road.

2003 and 2008 should not have come as a surprise. We were terrible both years, Ole Miss was really good both years.

2017 was a disaster. We should’ve won by double digits even without Fitz.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    2003 and 2008 should not have come as a surprise. We were terrible both years, Ole Miss was really good both years.

2017 was a disaster. We should’ve won by double digits even without Fitz.
    This. 2017 hands down. Injury made it twice as bad.
    2008 got croom out the door. I was there and left early in the 3rd.
    2003 was humiliating but expected.

Your exactly right Mutt the Hoople. 1981–People who weren’t around at that time have no clue how frustrating the game was. The whole season was really very frustrating. Incredible defense - should have Really won 10 games that year (back when 11 games were played) finished 8-4- including the bowl game. Yeah the pass interference call sucked and Fourcade’s ass running in the end zone.. prolly knocked us out of the citrus or gator bowl for the hall of fame (Birmingham bowl)

Sadly I witnessed it in person and it will not leave my head till this day.

2017 sucked but my vote goes to 2008. Most embarrassed I’ve ever been as a state fan. It led to better things, but I was screaming for Croom’s head during that game. I’ll never forget the camera panning to a state fan in Vaught holding a FIRE CROOM NOW sign. I seriously think that sign had some influence in getting rid of that joke of a coach.

Out of the ones listed 2017 is the correct answer. In the 2003 and 2008 games, Ole Miss was just a much better football team and we had nothing to play for. This past Thanksgiving was a shit show of epic proportions for many reasons. That hunchbacked bastard was dead to me after that night and I had no idea he was leaving. I was probably 1 of 5 State fans that was giddy when the news broke on Sunday he was leaving. Mullen allowed Ole miss to screw us out of a possible playoff birth in 2014, a sugar bowl in 2015, and the capital one bowl in 2017. Mullen owned Houston Nutt. Not Ole Miss. Ole miss after Nutt was Mullen’s daddy. Another reason I can’t stand the SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg1976 View Post
    I still remember that ball seeming to hang in mid-air for an eternity before falling short.

2003. Jackie ended his career on a terrible note.

After starting against them 6-3, he ended up 7-6.

Speaking of 2008, did we ever figure out this guy's SPS handle?

When Dale Sr cut a tire on the last lap of the 500 and Derrick Cope won. **
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by M R DAWGS View Post
    2017 sucked but my vote goes to 2008. Most embarrassed I’ve ever been as a state fan. It led to better things, but I was screaming for Croom’s head during that game. I’ll never forget the camera panning to a state fan in Vaught holding a FIRE CROOM NOW sign. I seriously think that sign had some influence in getting rid of that joke of a coach.
    I was at that game in Oxford and it was the lowest point for me.

Leo Seal bequeathed 40 million dollars of Hancock bank stock upon his death, that helped us buy out Croom’s contract. We all owe the Seal family our sincere gratitude.