Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Welcome to SPS, how tough are you?

I was at the Maine game and 3-2, sober as a bird.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Benedict Arnold | Scott Stricklin Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    I was a student for the 2002-2006 seasons and didn't drink before, during or after a single game. Went to them all.

I was gonna post what I thought was an impressive story about surviving on a stranded island for three months, but you two 17’ers put that to shame. Damn guys

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I've experienced it all. The Maine disaster to the 1980 AL 6-3 win. As far as how tough I am.......I'm 64. I'm not.

Stayed for the second half - student in north end zone bleachers, Auburn 2003, when Cadillac Williams had rolled up 5 TDs morning n the first half.

Made my girlfriend (now wife) stay with me till the end of 2003 egg bowl, in the rain. I knew if our relationship could survive that, we could make it thru anything.

Survived the 2001 tornado to watch us lose to Troy “state”.

Croom was a piece of cake after living thru sherrill 01-03.

2000 Arkansas game. Shut this thread down.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Walked out of the 3-2 game thinking, both teams are in for long year, ant Tubbervilles bouncing-groundhog offensive cadence was the nail in his coffin.
    Drove to the South Carolina game (1992?). Top 10 ranked, destroyed by the always tricky delayed draw up the middle.
    Troy homecoming sucked. Bad.

Maine, 3-2, Troy, and 4 wisdom teeth.

I ate the last bite of tenderloin at DS's tailgate.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

My senior year was Tech and Ten.

I was at that one and the 2001 Troy tornado evacuation game we lost.

I was a student from 2001 through 2005. I think we won 12 football games during my 4 years in Starkville. However, I didn't make it through many of them sober.

I'm a younger member of the pack... But My freshman year of college was Rick Ray's first year. And I attended most of the home SEC games under the Ray era

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    I was there on 10/23/1993.

G Date Day School Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L T Streak Notes
    1 Sep 4, 1993 Sat (23) Mississippi State Memphis Ind L 35 45 0 1 0 L 1
    2 Sep 11, 1993 Sat Mississippi State LSU SEC L 16 18 0 2 0 L 2
    3 Sep 25, 1993 Sat Mississippi State @ Tulane Ind W 36 10 1 2 0 W 1
    4 Oct 2, 1993 Sat Mississippi State @ (5) Florida SEC L 24 38 1 3 0 L 1
    5 Oct 9, 1993 Sat Mississippi State @ (22) Auburn SEC L 17 31 1 4 0 L 2
    6 Oct 16, 1993 Sat Mississippi State South Carolina SEC W 23 0 2 4 0 W 1
    7 Oct 23, 1993 Sat Mississippi State Arkansas State Big West T 15 15 2 4 1 T 1
    8 Oct 30, 1993 Sat Mississippi State Kentucky SEC L 17 26 2 5 1 L 1
    9 Nov 6, 1993 Sat Mississippi State @ Arkansas SEC T 13 13 2 5 2 T 1 Little Rock, AR
    10 Nov 13, 1993 Sat Mississippi State @ (12) Alabama SEC L 25 36 2 6 2 L 1
    11 Nov 27, 1993 Sat Mississippi State Ole Miss SEC W 20 13 3 6 2 W 1
    Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
    Generated 7/11/2018.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

^^^ this. Student during Wocky disaster.

Tornado, 3-2, SECT when Boogie sent us to OT.

I’m like Dawg1976,an old fart. I watched the immaculate deflection.

I was there too

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    In the freezing cold and sleet. To watch us lose at the end. Brutal.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

We won 15 ballgames while I was there...Thanks coach Shira**

Famous Maroon Band. 2nd year was Tech and 10. I was of course at every game. Finally ended that God awful season sitting in freezing rain on Thanksgiving weekend in Memorial Stadium in Jackson, soaked to the bone, playing Hail State.

You kids today don't understand suffering.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I was a student for the 2002-2006 seasons and didn't drink before, during or after a single game. Went to them all.
    I don't think that's being tough. Insane? Mentally ill? A masochist? Just stupid? Any number of other things that could be and I have to think just being tough is one of the less likely...

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Ya bunch of woosies .. I attended EVERY home game during the Charley Shira epic.

'66 State went 2-8 with wins over Richmond and USM .. '67 State went 1-9 with a win over Tx Tech .. '68 went 0-8-2 tied Tx Tech & OM .. '69 3-7 with wins over Richmond, USM & Tx Tech. Finally, finally .. MSU had a 'winning' season .. '70 State went 6-5 with wins over Ok St, Vandy (FIRST SEC win in OVER 5 years), GA, Tx Tech, USM, and OM (FIRST win over OM in 6 years, 2ND WIN in 24 years) .. '71 State went 2-9 with wins over Florida nd Lamar. Unbelievably, even AFTER a 2-9 season and consistently coaching losing football, Shira was retained for a final '74 4-7 season.

Consider .. During the 1967 season, MSU scored 49 points. Yes, that's 49 points in an ENTIRE 10 game season. In his tenure at MSU, Don Mullet's teams scored 49 points or more ~20 times and some of those wins were over teams like .. Ky, Ark, Michigan and Ole Miss.

ps .. thank you Texas Tech!
    Robbie Faulk .. To your point, I think MSU will have 49 scholarship players from Mississippi on next year's roster and Ole Miss will have 19. So much for 'Mississippi Made.'

I stayed through the entire 2000 Memphis game at the Liberty Bowl. $4 bottled water.. no ice... the pressure fizzed like a coke when you opened it. Hottest game in the history of sports.

Tough enough to sit through a game at Jackson Memorial Stadium and watch us lose to USM in 1986.
    Formally BR549

In my 4 years at MSU, we were 4-20 in SEC football games, I endured two straight 3-15 SEC basketball seasons, the only postseason was 3 baseball regionals and 1 CWS.

Student 1984-1988 20-35 overall 4-27 in the SEC in 5 years. Bellards last two years & Felkers 1st three. I lived thru Tech & 10 and Bellard telling the media he thought he would win the SEC during the summer before going winless in conference in 85.

Me too. That was awful.

I had a couple fraternity brothers that had tickets to UT and Bama in Neylland and turned em down to stay in Starkville.
    Last edited by cowbell88; 07-11-2018 at 08:21 AM.

These are the games that I can remember off the top of my head that I attended and left feeling like I had no soul.

-I saw us lose to NE Louisiana (or some variation of that type of school) in around 1995. I remember our administration (or whoever runs the sound system on the field) letting their cheerleaders get on the loudspeaker in the stadium and start doing cheers on our home field after they beat us. I was 10 or 11. Up until that point in my life, my dad had tried to take me mostly to games that he knew we would win because he wanted me to have a positive experience. After that shit show, he just said 17 it and let me hurt like everyone else going forward.
    -Went to the peach bowl around that same time frame (maybe a year or 2 earlier) where we kicked about 5 field goals against NC State and lost.
    -Attended the 99 Alabama game
    -Went to Arkansas and Ole Miss in 2000
    -Witnessed Ole Miss and Oregon 2002
    -Tulane 2003
    -Witnessed Maine
    -Witnessed Ole Miss 2003 (what a horrible rain storm)
    -Witnessed 3-2 in person
    -All home games in 05/06 and the Egg bowl on the road in 06 as well
    -Witnessed LSU and Tennessee and Ole Miss on the road in 2008
    -Arkansas 2009/LSU/Alabama/Georgia Tech 2009
    -Arkansas 2010
    -Auburn 2011
    -Alabama and A&M and Ole Miss and Northwestern 2012
    -Auburn/LSU 2013
    -Georgia Tech 2014 Orange Bowl (2015 I guess since it was new years i think)
    -Alabama/LSU/Ole Miss 2015
    -Alabama/Ole Miss 2017
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 07-11-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Not tough enough to watch Art Cosby's kick as a 10 yr old sitting in the horseshoe of the Vet. I covered my eyes.. mom told me to listen to the crowd. If the people on the right cheered then it was good and we won. If the people on the left cheered we lost.

Everybody cheered and she tried to explain to me what happened.

I didn't see it until replays on the news that night.

SixPack's Official Mortgage Lender
    Y’all can pick out all these little streaks or seasons or bad games you want but I’ve endured every single Mississippi State home game since 1987 with the exception of one. I missed the home opener vs Memphis in 1995. Believe me there were times during the Croom Error that I had no desire but I wasn’t gonna let him take my streak!!

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Well you are obviously a person that has other influences in your life besides booze and MSU football. Otherwise, there is no other way the second thing on the list wouldn’t have directly led to the first. Not in the era you are talking about.

I attended every single game (home and away) of Croom’s 3-9 season in 2006. Included in that was the Tulane post-Katrina loss, an Egg Bowl loss in Oxford, an OT shitshow of a game at UAB, and the punt from UGA’s 30 yard line in Athens.

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Student from 00-06. Was at Maine. Was at Arkansas sleet game. BYU 2001. Was at Tulsa NIT game. The only home football game I missed was Troy/tornado, so maybe I’m still a pussy.

"A tie is like kissing your sister"...and Arkansas State was happy to oblige.

Watched the entire 2001 Florida game, baking in the relentless Gainseville sun.

Auburn 3-2 was pretty bad. LSU 45-0 to open the season on a Thursday night hammered drunk and full of misguided optimism was pretty tough in 2007 I think it was.

ETA: Honorable mention the 3 OT basketball game at the Hump vs LSU around 2009 or 2010. They had Tasmin Mitchell. I think both teams had a few players foul out. We lost of course and the fans "had it."
    Last edited by TheStateUofMS; 07-11-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    MSU Class of 2011

when i was a student at MSU, the best overall record our football team achieved was 3-8 during my 4 years there. 2001 3-8, 2002 3-9, 2003 2-10, 2004 3-8. . i was also in attendance of this:

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    Weren't you like 11 for the Maine game? I would hope you were sober...

Not sure if this makes me tough or stupid...but my buddy and I sat through the entire 2008 Eggbowl in Oxford. 45-0. Watched every play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    There for that one and the Snow Bowl. Nearly froze to death at both but at.least we won the Snow Bowl.