Thread: Fishing Dawgs

Fishing Dawgs

I was able to do some surf fishing in Grand Ilse last weekend. Missed the full moon by 4 days and the tide was backwards........so it wasnt very productive.
    Did any of you make it two weeks ago when it was perfect? My buddies pounded about 120 big specks in the surf. The bait this year was the suspending jerk bait.....supposedly.....kinda looks like a rattle trap but more rounded. No lip. Last year they were all over Chartreuse and red dot spec rigs. Finicky bastards.

Anyone wetting a line this weekend? Think I'ma hit an Oxbow near Natchez. River is on that crawl fall. Do a lil perch jerk.

Gonna try and hit the harvest moon weekend back down in the marsh. Suggestions welcomed. Somewhere i can marsh fish with an 18 foot bass tracker, preferably.

Benedict Arnold | Scott Stricklin Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    I was able to do some surf fishing in Grand Ilse last weekend. Missed the full moon by 4 days and the tide was backwards........so it wasnt very productive.
    Did any of you make it two weeks ago when it was perfect? My buddies pounded about 120 big specks in the surf. The bait this year was the suspending jerk bait.....supposedly.....kinda looks like a rattle trap but more rounded. No lip. Last year they were all over Chartreuse and red dot spec rigs. Finicky bastards.

Anyone wetting a line this weekend? Think I'ma hit an Oxbow near Natchez. River is on that crawl fall. Do a lil perch jerk.

Gonna try and hit the harvest moon weekend back down in the marsh. Suggestions welcomed. Somewhere i can marsh fish with an 18 foot bass tracker, preferably.
    If I was able to make it I would split the cost of hunting them down with you. Unfortunately, all my gear is in a 10x15 storage riim waiting on the sale of our house and the purchase of our next.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    If I was able to make it I would split the cost of hunting them down with you. Unfortunately, all my gear is in a 10x15 storage riim waiting on the sale of our house and the purchase of our next.
    You would be a welcomed with open arms and bottles of Highlife!

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I havenít been as much as I would like this year, but I waded off of Freemason about 3 weeks ago. People all around us were killing the specks on live croaker. We caught about 15 on artificials.

Iím going to Venice next weekend. Hope I do well down there.

I was in Lafitte last week. Wednesday morning we caught 6 redfish 30 inches or better in the marsh on gold spoons. It was damn near better than sex.
    Last edited by M R DAWGS; 07-13-2018 at 06:15 PM.

We went third week of June s nd did very well

On specs and reds at Pointe a la hache. I never had fished the east side before but was impressed with the lack of pressure on that side. Limited on reds in 30 minutes.
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

Iím getting in my kayak tomorrow and Sunday morning. Iíll go topwater early AM then swap to plastics. Iíve been catching more reds than specks, but itís more with where and how I fish. Been floundering a few times and they were stacked up.

Reds on a kayak- I've heard that the ol' Cajun Sleigh Ride is quite a good time.

Some really good prints from the old days of the original Nantucket Sleigh-rides in this video.

Was in GI in may with the yaks after reds and did well. In GI don’t get caught up on the bait as much as the conditions. If that surf is calm and you have clean water on the beach, you’ll catch on about any bait or tide. Fished the east Biloxi Marsh last Saturday and grinded out a solid day despite fishing when the tide was dead. Got a trip to Golden Meadow set up for October and I’d like to fish 1 more yak tournament this year as well as hitting up the Biloxi Marsh a few more times. Kids have really put a hamper on my fishing but I’m still catching despite a lack of water time.

eta- The last 2 years me and some buddies have rented a camp across from Elmer’s in GI and that’s the way to go. Yak fish north side of Hwy 1 for reds from tythe camp and surf fish across the street. Any dawgs wants the put together a PAC houseboat & mothership yak trip shoot me a dm. I’m doing that eventually.

GI yak red pulled deeeeep from some mangroves

Biloxi marsh red last week. Crushed the chatterbait
    Last edited by FreeDawg; 07-13-2018 at 09:16 PM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Beautiful!!!

ive been looking at a fishing yak. Whatís yalls take on the best bang for your buck? Used?

We went to the North side of Elmer last Sat and South side Sunday. Folks were posted up down on the south side there hooking black tip and a few reds. The fellas would wade out in the surf and launch a mullet...walk the pole back in and hand it off to the women who would land the fish from a lawn chair.. It was entertaining watching them with the sharks....two piece bikinis... Funny as hell.

The crabs were thick. You never know what you may see on Elmerís. I watched two athletes out in the surf with the motel trash cans...scooping crabs out.
    Then watched the necks chase down what had to have been a full marine cooler full....by the hundreds.....with two poles and some chicken wire.....I was jealous.

Ive done well in Borigaurd Island inlets in my bass boat.
    Still learning.

Beastman, do the other at EDers approve of you posting on this board?*

July, Friday the 13th is a bad fishing anniversary for me. 6 years ago today me and a buddy was fishing a 6pm-midnight fruit jar tourney on Pickwick. Everything had gone wrong up to blast off. He had to work late so we had to meet at the ramp, meaning I didn't take the time to strap the my rods onto the deck. So we take off, as we come around curve in yellow creek we were doing about 50 when this big wave came around the bend. I was in the passenger seat. I normally kept my iPhone between the seats but for some reason I had it in the Velcro pocket of my fishing shirt and I was wearing a pair of polarized Ray Bans.

We hit that wave just right so that I went flying right over the side of the boat soaring like a bird. There was no sounds, I didn't know where the boat was. All I could do was stare down at green water and wonder if this was it. By the time I'd came up and got my bearings the buddy had doubled back to get me. I knew my hand was hurting but by the time I'd realized 3 of my baitcasters were gone I'd forgotten it. Never did find them, 3 worth a total of around $800. Not only that my ray bans were gone. Plus my iPhone drowned and never recovered. My buddy asked if I felt like staying and I said sure.

Back to the hurting hand. I had one baitcaster left and I threw it fine then moved the reel to my left hand for the retrieval. As soon as I flinched my wrist to pick the jig up I dropped my rod in the boat as I found out I had no strength in that wrist. I avoided the ER the first day but by Sunday I had to go. Broke left wrist, no surgery but was basically worthless for 6-8 weeks. $800 in rods gone, $150 in shades gone, $2-300 iPhone gone. By far the most expensive fishing trip in my life. Hell half my fishing has been done in boats that didn't cost as much.

I'll holler at you in the fall. Good Luck!

Iím leaving tomorrow for a week long grouper and snapper trip off the coast of Florida. I canít wait to put the smack down on some.

Buy 2nd hand for you first one. You can find them super cheap on FB. I like Jacksonís. Itís what I have. You can find a Cuda for fairly cheap on there. Itíll have everything you need besides fish gear. Good starter kayak.

Iím in cocadrie right now. Didnít catch shit this morning

My dad is in coco also. They caught 87 trout yesterday. Wade fishing islands

Itís expensive but I love my Hobie Outback. Traditionalists donít like foot peddled yaks but they are way better to me especially if you are fat and out of shape.