PDA

View Full Version : Pack Mentality Double Play: Best Restaurant in Mississippi; Jackson

AzzurriDawg4
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I have definitely had the Yocona v. Anthony's fight with many of my Ole Miss friends and many small towns across the state boast incredible eateries. This really won't be limited to fine dining, but the combination of atmosphere plus food is important I think.

So lets put the question to the masses this way: If you were moving to Germany tomorrow and were given the choice to eat at one Mississippi restaurant before you left the Country, where would you go for dinner? Just to get some more variety, feel free to list your favorite places in Jackson if they are different from your statewide selection. Favorite dishes at said eatery are welcome too.

I will start it with:

Mississippi: Anthony's...There may be better food out there, but not much better and Blues Night (RIP) will always have a special place in my memories. Hard to beat their citrus vinaigrette and chicken anthony.
Jackson: Shapley's for me with Walkers a close 2nd. I get the filet at Shapleys and the tamale app.

AzzurriDawg4
I have definitely had the Yocona v. Anthony's fight with many of my Ole Miss friends and many small towns across the state boast incredible eateries. This really won't be limited to fine dining, but the combination of atmosphere plus food is important I think.

So lets put the question to the masses this way: If you were moving to Germany tomorrow and were given the choice to eat at one Mississippi restaurant before you left the Country, where would you go for dinner? Just to get some more variety, feel free to list your favorite places in Jackson if they are different from your statewide selection. Favorite dishes at said eatery are welcome too.

I will start it with:

Mississippi: Anthony's...There may be better food out there, but not much better and Blues Night (RIP) will always have a special place in my memories. Hard to beat their citrus vinaigrette and chicken anthony.
Jackson: Shapley's for me with Walkers a close 2nd. I get the filet at Shapleys and the tamale app.

AzzurriDawg4

I will start it with:

AzzurriDawg4

I will start it with:

bonedaddy401
07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
/

jacksdawgs
07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Mugshots in a close 2nd. For me, anyway.

Maroon Eagle
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Also receiving consideration... Sakura Bana in Jackson. </p>

pDigital32Dawg
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
That way I could enjoy great tasting food and drink a cold beer in a place that has never failed to have a good atmosphere in previous stops there.

mcfly
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
and Ive been eating there since I was a child. As far as quality service and atmosphere there is no better.

Rabbitt
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
If I were going to have a great "fine dining" meal....Ruth's Chris in Ridgeland is by far the best steak and dine place in the Jackson metro area. If it is a good experience, Amerigo or Char would fit the bill. Walkers is fine, and so is The Little Meramaid out a Lake Caroline, but Ruth's Chris tops them all when it comes to service, wine, and great food.

LTblows
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Wraps in Maywood Mart has better food.

Dollabillz
07-12-2010, 10:59 AM
nm

JohnDawg
07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd say Walkers is my favorite restaurant in Jackson. I'd beat someone close to death for the Redfish Anna.

ckDOG
07-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Ruth Chris's?

State82
07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Have not tested the waters enough in other areas of our fine State to render an opinion.

Beretta
07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd say Walkers is my favorite restaurant in Jackson. I'd beat someone close to death for the Redfish Anna.

OneParticularHarbor
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
IMO, it's slipped a few notches in the last couple of years.

Best restaurant in H'burg these days is the Purple Parrot.

Ol Blue
07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
the most overrated restaurant on the planet.

Might as well go to the Sizzler.

TeedOff
07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
How can anyone go wrong with blues on the stage in a smoke-filled room at lunchtime. All you can eat buffet that included fried chicken livers in gravy, and I think it was fat-free...

Cheers,

Teed

rugbdawg
07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
chops at Tico's. Maybe I should thank Tico's for my move to Colorado. I'm in Colorado Lamb heaven.

msudeltadawg1971
07-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Might as well go to the Sizzler.I have to agree withOl Blue about Doe's, I have been to Doe's 4 times, 3 times because I had friends that came in and said they had to eat there because of what they had heard about it.They definately have the health department on the payroll, each time there were cockroaches crawling on the walls and table. Steaks are average on best, I have had way better, and the tamales at Fat Mama's in Natchez and some little dive inVicksburg are better than Doe's.

dudehead
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
is our favorite at the moment. Pad Ped and Green Curry spicy are our favorites. The place is rather unassuming and they have weird hours (they close at 8:00 pm) but the food is fresh, tasty and delightfully different - at least for this MS boy.

A few comments from urbanspoon: Click here (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/211/1069570/restaurant/Mississippi/Takrai-Thai-Cuisine-Meridian)

Maroon Eagle
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
...you're right that it's slipped some but I think it's rebounded. Purple Parrot is very good. I've not eaten there in quite some time though.

The Canebrake Clubhouse is a winner, but I don't know if it qualifies as far as the purposes of this thread are concerned.

Todd4State
07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
with the fried seafood platter or the redfish.

For Mississippi, I'll go with Mary Mahoney's in Biloxi with the Presendential Platter and the gumbo, and then any other entree.

JxnReb
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Kiefer's is and will always be superior to Wraps.

JxnReb
07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Lillo's - Mississippi

biguglyjoe
07-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Hotel Roosevelt
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Wraps beats Keifer's easily for quality of food, even if Keifer's is a better place to go if you have an hour or two to kill and want to sit outside while you eat and hang out.

dawgoneyall
07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
the restaurant where you are least likely to get shot would get my vote.

Any suggestions?

SwampDawg
07-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Kind of a pretentious name but the food is wonderful and the ambiance (on the edge of Fort Bayou complete with setting sun) is too. The food took a dive right after Katrina but now is back to it's former excellence. Be sure to start off with the gumbo.

CdawgNHouston
07-13-2010, 12:10 AM
You pick the town.

rebelrouseri
07-13-2010, 12:21 AM
my top pick. Cherokee gets a shout out too for the lunch plate, burgers and fried mushrooms. I only ate at Crechale's once but I liked their stuffed flounder. Hal & Mal's had pretty good food too for a bar.

LTblows
07-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Get a house in Rankin County with Catvet.

pikedawg
07-13-2010, 12:29 AM
for the fried green tomatoes. For Jackson, I'd go with Ichiban, because who doesn't like making yourself throw up from the cheesy crab concoction.

LTblows
07-13-2010, 12:31 AM
The stuffed catfish is phenomenal. Add that with their cheese fritters.... mmm............

Notch Johnson dawg
07-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Runnerups:

JOURDAN RIVER STEAMER - KILN, MS
DOE'S EAT PLACE - GREENVILLE

Paperdawg
07-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Been to RC a half dozen times in past 18 months. The food is great, but in no way is their service, steak, seafood, wine, etc., in the same league as Shapley's.

When Shapley's was created, they could've right then stopped making new $$$ restaurants because no others compare.

KurtRambis4
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Crechale's is pretty good and the Mayflower.

Seshomoru
07-13-2010, 01:13 AM
The fried soft shell is one of the best things I've ever eaten. The fresh redfish, lemon, or speckled trout are tops as well. If they have whole flounder, get it. Eaten there close to 50 or so times probably, and I've never opened the menu. Just look at the board and order.

KurtRambis4
07-13-2010, 01:37 AM
*</p>

8dog
07-13-2010, 01:38 AM
Im getting pissed off just thinking about it.

8dog
07-13-2010, 01:40 AM
easily one of the 3 best dishes in town.

Mayflower, Walker's, Shapley's still reign supreme.

But if its my last meal before Germany, I go Hamil's. We take for granted how easily we can get some good soul food here.

AzzurriDawg4
07-13-2010, 02:02 AM
What about Como? Never been to the steak house but I heard it was very good.

topdawg
07-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Something about chickens running around in the yard, the feeling you were going to fall through the floor, and drinking the "recycled" sweet tea that could have passed as syrup just made the BBQ that much better.

gdogg
07-13-2010, 02:07 AM
not to long ago. That use to never happen. Ruth Chris has my vote on steak and service.

AzzurriDawg4
07-13-2010, 02:09 AM
They are ready to step it up and go for a nicer location and better atmosphere. The only reason to go to Keifer's over Wraps is the atmosphere. I wish Wraps would invest in a place nearby that had a better outdoor eating/atmosphere situation (similar to what Newk's did in the Rogue building). The food is outstanding.

Maroon Eagle
07-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Going to Leatha'sdoesn't have the feel of a special trip. </p>

colodawg
07-13-2010, 02:16 AM
The best restaurant in MS is w/o a doubt IMHO Mary Mahoney's (with Anthony's a close second).

The best restaurant in Jackson is Shapley's with Walker's a close second. (Char is also quite good)

Coming to the coast in a couple weeks and our list includes Mary Mahoney's, BB's, Biloxi Schooner, 32, and Anthony's Under the Oaks.

8dog
07-13-2010, 02:17 AM
d

patdog
07-13-2010, 02:29 AM
The view of the sun setting on the bayou is spectacular. And the food is very good.

jakldawg
07-13-2010, 02:34 AM
From someone who's currently living where the seafood ranges from "edible" to "WTF is this supposed to be?" I'd kill for some decent shrimp.
For Jackson: I'm going with Nick's.

DerHntr
07-13-2010, 02:35 AM
has to be on the day that they are having fried chicken or fried pork chops though at the Round Table.

edit: Ibelieve thatif I were leaving the country and knew I might not be coming back that I would want some good ol' Mississippicomfort food.I'd rather eat in a pre-civilwar house with home cooking the way it is supposed to be done for my last meal than sitting in a fancy restaurant. Just me. I can fine dine in Germany when I get there but sure as hell can't get what they are serving at Walnut Hills.

cytubb
07-13-2010, 02:37 AM
best pokechop anywhere

OneParticularHarbor
07-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Leatha's would grow exponentially if you could get a drink there. Still a fun place to go. But if you could buy a cold beer with those ribs...

SixtonPackerish
07-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Runnerups:

JOURDAN RIVER STEAMER - KILN, MS
DOE'S EAT PLACE - GREENVILLE

DesotoCountyDawg
07-13-2010, 03:43 AM

OzarkaNSW
07-13-2010, 03:55 AM
If you don't think Keifer's is the best restaurant in thejackson metro area you are ignorant and just plain wrong

JohnDawg
07-13-2010, 04:03 AM
nm</p>

dawgfisher
07-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Filet on top of blue cheese grits is the best steak I've ever had. Menu changes every now and then but it's all good.

LTblows
07-13-2010, 05:09 AM
My party was being a little indecisive in choosing what they wanted, so the owner of Wraps decided he would order for everybody. It was bold and weird, but everybody went with it, and truly enjoyed the selections.

ColMuldrow
07-13-2010, 05:18 AM
For me it is a toss up between Mary Mahoney's and Anthony's.

JimHalpert.nafoom
07-13-2010, 05:20 AM
The steak was good, but they give you about three pieces of squash as the side and the service was awful. It took almost thirty minutes to get a drink and we had to wait another hour to get our food.

ColMuldrow
07-13-2010, 05:32 AM
But some of the other steak places mentioned make it a tier 2 place in comparison. They cook a good steak for a decent price. <div>
</div><div>Another Delta place that I thought would be mentioned is Crawdad's in Merigold. I haven't eaten there in years but it used to be really good. </div>

medearis
07-13-2010, 05:45 AM

Might as well go to the Sizzler.
Comparing Doe's to the Sizzler? I see that you are not a connoisseur of rating great steaks there Ol Blue. Whats ur favorite? The Applebee's sirloin special, cooked well with a side of ketchup...maybe even butterflied for that extra well, charcoal taste?

Dawgbreeze
07-13-2010, 08:03 AM
great seafood and Italian cooking. I would hate to try and pick only one or two. There are lots of great ones all over the state.

AzzurriDawg4
07-13-2010, 08:08 AM
nm

colodawg
07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I have never felt the love for Lusco's. If in Greenwood I would pick the Crystal Grill any day. But don't tell that to Delta folks.

AlCoDog
07-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Grew up in Jackson, and am a huge Keifer's fan. Moved 4 years ago, so obviously it's pretty new.I could eatKeifer's pita motz and a gyro for every meal. Vasillios in Madison also has a good gyro.

DesotoCountyDawg
07-13-2010, 09:41 AM
The last few meals I had there were sub-par.

JohnDawg
07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
It's in the old Pizza Inn location at Maywood Mart in Northeast Jackson. The owner, Yianni, is a Mr. Meoff-like party animal, except 20 years older. In my opinion, he has the best gyro in town. His "Yianni Special" will make you want to slap your mother and anyone around her. It's a pita mozz filled with chunks of seasoned chicken and lamb and tomatoes, onions, lettuce, feta, etc. It's messy but it's incredible. I definitely recommend it.

8dog
07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
d

El Diablo Blanco
07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
in Biloxi

Duane Chapman
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm also a big fan of Tico's

AzzurriDawg4
07-13-2010, 10:02 AM
nm

drunkernhelldawg
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Overpriced and average. They used to be great. (Terrific Cathedral across the street may have the best stained glass in Mississippi).

Try Lil' Rays in Long Beach for coast seafood. Other favorites are all on Pass Road in Biloxi: Mr. Greek, The Korean restaurant next to Mr. Greek, and Sakura on the corner of Pass and Eisenhower.

But none of these is the best restaurant in Mississippi. Nothing pops into mind on that, though I do remember a little Lebanese place in Fondren. Got no name for it tho.

karlchilders
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
formerly Phillip M, in Philadelphia.

I thought this was to be for restaurants in Jackson...but reading others....

Shmuley
07-13-2010, 11:25 AM
the steak was teh suck. Very disappointed.

AlCoDog
07-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I will be checking it out next time I'm in town

2thdoc44
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
The menu does change often but very rare to get a bad meal.

Walker's for me in Jackson and Leatha's in Hattiesburg

MFReb
07-13-2010, 11:56 AM
you'd find me up at mudbugs or crawdad hole gorging out. i typically cook my own but if i had to go get some before leaving the country youd find me there with a cold case of beer by my side

NewTweederEndzoneDance
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
I also really like Char and Bravo. Didn't Shapley's sell and then the Shapleys' (or one of them) open Ely's? I always liked Tico's better than Shapley's anyway. Also I love Keifers, but Wraps does have some damn good food. For pizza, give me the Pizza Shack anyday.

As for the rest of the state: I always thought Doe's was overrated. Same for Yacona, though it is pretty good. Anthony's in West Point is awesome, but not on the same level as the places in Jackson. If I'm in Oxford, I might take the Pizza Den over anything else. In Starkville, I'd come close to killing a man for the food at the old Grill.

Never spent much time on the coast, or in the Delta for that matter. Is Madidi's (sp?) in Clarksdale any good? Thought I'd heard good things about it.

Beretta
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
If you don't think Keifer's is the best restaurant in thejackson metro area you are ignorant and just plain wrong

keifers is good..........good.....nowhere near great..... or even in the conversation as the best in jackson.

sounds like a keifers employee to me