PDA

View Full Version : I Shall Now Opine On A Hot Topic Amongest The Bulldog Nation

saddawg
08-31-2010, 03:01 PM
<span style="font-weight: bold;">No.... not the Stealin' Samoan.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Although I will say if he doesn't play, 1/2 of the Rebel O just got shelved. The Rebs were going to look like the Matt " Sniff, Sniff" Jones days at big Ark-Toothless.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Now, not so much.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">I digress. The hot topic among many is this "Ring Responsibly" bullshit.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">I remember having a sticker of John Stennis ringing a cowbell in the well at the US Senate with the caption " Give me Cowbells, or Give Me Death".</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">If I am not mistaken, cowbells were outlawed over 30 years ago. </span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">That didn't stop them from ringing.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">The SEC then instituted a penalty system for us ringing them.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">That didn't stop them from ringing.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">We had the worthless ass Croom for a coach.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">That didn't stop them from ringing.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Now we have brought the issuse to a head ourselves. Much like the PC crowd at Ole Miss when they made an issuse out of a non-issue with a chant at the end of the " From Dixon With Love" song their band played.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Like the Land That Forgot Time, we were scared something was gonna happen if we didn't act first.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Bullshit.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">They have been trying to stop us for ringing them for over 30 years and it hasn't worked. Now we give them the way. They will fine us so much that 3 year olds will now be frisked upon entering the stadium next year.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">State will be forced to crack down. No more wink-wink at the no cowbell rule, because I will guarantee you , if we beat Memphis , when Auburn is in a tight spot for the first time, fine number 1 will come down. If we beat Auburn, every fine they can give us will be applied.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">We should have stayed outlaws. </span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">The powers that be at State should have told the SEC, " Hey we are searching people and their belongings. We are confiscating any we see in the stands. We are doing everything possible."</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Then, when they got back to Stark-Vegas, they should have then turned a blind eye to it, and done none of what they told the SEC that they were doing, or were gonna do.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Now they have painted themselves in a corner. </span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">We will be fined out the ass. </span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Hope Scotty S. has a cowbell slush fund set up.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">There seems no reason to me why we made an issue of it.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">But Saddawg, who has a little outlaw in him, and who has done a bit of smuggling, dealt a little contraband, and has run with some big time buccaneers, has a answer.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Just charge $5 more per ticket for the cowbell fund.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">$5 times 50,000 fans equals $250,000 ( check my math, McClure).</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">$250,000 a home game to pay the fines ought to keep them ringing, .</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">I'd pay $5 more a game to keep them ringing.</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">As the slogan on the back of the Bad News Bears uniforms said "Let Freedom Ring."</span><br style="font-weight: bold;"><br style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;">We should have kept enjoying the freedom of being outlaws.</span>

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad97/saddawg/Coo%20Chees/sd6.jpg

FlabLoser
08-31-2010, 04:38 PM
They say the options were to compromise "or else". I'd sure like to know what the "or else" was gonna be.

saddawg
09-01-2010, 02:14 AM
exactly.

They've been "or else-ing" us for years.

Screw 'em.

shutterdawg
09-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Saddawg, I have always enjoyed your discussion and ifind myself agreeing with you 98 percent of the time. You are insightful, funny, and sarcastically spot on-usually. However, this time I have to respectfully disagree with you on this situation mainly because the facts you assert do not fit the situation. Maybe in your absence from SPS you also did not follow events surrounding the program closely as well.
saddawg wrote:
<font color="#0033ff"> Staying outlaw was not an option and we did not bring this issue to a head ourselves. It came to a head long before Scottproposed the compromise. League AD's were beginning to push the issue and it was going to be brought up. SEC officials were already looking to put a heftyfine structure in place for this season that would have been far more significant than the one we now have.The fine structure would havehad a significant financial impact on our program and resulted in extensive searches at the gate andall cowbells siezed. Scott proposed the compromise to at least give us a chance to keep our cowbells by having a one-year trial period with reduced fine structure for non-compliance. If our fans comply, we keep our cowbells. If not we face a total ban, gate searches - which would likely result in other precious cargo/contraband being siexed - and loss of a true university tradition.
</font>
We will be fined out the ass.
<font color="#0033ff">Yes-we will be. If our fanbase follows the "cowbells or be damned" philosophy. I want to ring my bell on third and one as much as anybody but I know if I thumb my nose at the rule that it will only get worse. This is about more than me. It is about more than any individual. This is about preserving a university tradition we all hold dear. Do I like it? No. But I like it much better than having it stripped away.
Yes, if we do not comply this year we will be fined. But next year we will truly pay the price.
</font>

There seems no reason to me why we made an issue of it.
<font color="#0033ff">He did not make an issue of it but he did confront of it head on. Would this been my proposal? No. My suggestion was to ask for a one-year stay on the ban to conduct a decibel study at all SEC stadiums to determine if our stadium were any louder than the rest of the conference stadiums at specific times in the game. This would put to rest the whole debate once and for all and prove those complaining were just looking for an excuse as to why they cold'y beat poor ole Mississippi State. There is no way, even with our cowbells, we are louder on the field than Bryant-Deny or any of the other stadiums-except maybe vandy-in the conf. But that was not the track he chose and I support him 100 percent.

I don't like this any more than anyone else.When we have Auburn 3 and 1 on there own 15 my handds will be aching to ring my bell. But I won't do it because this about more than me.
</font>

MSUCE99
09-01-2010, 03:43 AM
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/festus-albums-festus-stuff-picture2622-800px-gadsden-flag-svg.png

saddawg
09-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Oh, I understand all that went into it.

But no matter what they are going to get us. If we beat Auburn, we will be fined.

I'll take your points one by one......

1) Staying outlaw was not an option.....

Who would have been doing the searches at the gate? The SEC gonna hire cowbell police?

We should just stay outlaw like in past. As I said in my post, tell the SEC you are doing what you can, but then don't do it. Tell the SEC that you have no idea how the bastards are getting them past the searches at the gate.

Hell, lie.

2) We will be fined out the ass....

because no rational person can think that 40 something thousand liquored up fools and college students with bells in their hands are gonna sit on them when the game is on the line. They are gonna fine us with or with out the deal they made.

3) We didn't make an issue of it...

Here I disagree.

Say we mention nothing at the meetings about cowbells and some other school brings it up.

Say they vote to re-ban them for the 1,000th time and make up some fines.

What could we have done then?

See point 1, and put a cowbell tax on each ticket to pay the fines.

Just the way I think, which is why I am probably so screwed up most of the time.

Skidawg
09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
$5 extra a ticket would worth every cent just to piss off the Aubies, Bammers, and !**%. Great observation of the potential fines. We will not have worry about "Taxation without representation" after we play Auburn.

BeerHound
09-02-2010, 01:57 AM
file:///Users/briancraig/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd409/88driver/bells.jpg

</p>

saddawg
09-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Holy shit!!

I haven't seen that in over 20 years. Is that yours or did you find a picture of it on the web?

I have no idea what happened to mine.

BeerHound
09-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Never forget getting it at the old MSU bookstore when I was maybe 7 or so. Was digging through some old pictures to show my six year old and there it was.. I thought the timing was sort of ironic with the debate raging again after 35 years...

Miss your blog by the way.......

saddawg
09-02-2010, 05:45 AM
the blog will be the same here, just a different design.

Thanks for uploading that picture.

MrHooch
10-26-2010, 06:21 AM
It's like you're in my mind, man! I have been preaching this shit ever since I heard about the impending conference and rules to be passed down regarding cowbells. I would gladly pay an extra $5/ticket, but I seriously doubt the SEC will have the balls to fine us if they ban cowbells next year, because think about it... in a 50,000 seat stadium I'm gonna guess about 35-40,000 folks MAX are bringing cowbells. When they are banned next year that number will drop to something like 1-2000. If you think the noise from a few thousand cowbells is going to be distracting or significantly impact play on the field you're crazy. I wish I knew Mike Slive, because I would call his sackless ass up right now and "f@cking double-dog dare" him to fine us for hearing a few random cowbells next season.

Also the decibel study has been done, check it out:

http://i843.photobucket.c...e/study.jpg?t=1288106607 (http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/msubone/study.jpg?t=1288106607)