PDA

View Full Version : HTML Query for Admins & Knowledgeable Non-Admins...

Maroon Eagle
08-28-2012, 09:56 AM
One thing I liked about the old site (seriously) was the fact that I could switch to html mode and edit image sizes so that they wouldn't be too big for computer screens. How can I do the same here on the New and Improvedô Six Pack Speak Forum? I don't see an html button; however, there is a way to wrap html tags around text. I just want to be able to see the coding so I can edit...

pDigital32Dawg
08-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I haven't played around yet with posting images, but you might be able to just post the image to an image hosting site, and use the html tags to reference the URL of the iamge site and resize it through there?

Maroon Eagle
08-28-2012, 10:26 AM
The problem with that is that a lot of image hosting sites are blocked by my workplace's filter.

dawgstudent
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Vbulletin strongly suggests not allowing HTML in posts for security reasons.

pDigital32Dawg
08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I know it is very easy to resize through HTML, but it is best practice to just use an already scaled image to save bandwidth.

//inner nerd talking

Maroon Eagle
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I know it is very easy to resize through HTML, but it is best practice to just use an already scaled image to save bandwidth.

//inner nerd talking

Yeah, understood.

Vbulletin strongly suggests not allowing HTML in posts for security reasons.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I'm going to have to get used to posting and editing images this way after having done it via HTML for years.

BluffParkDawg
08-28-2012, 11:36 AM
What about installing something like this on the backend of the site so that all images are resized to a maximum size?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176531&highlight=image+width

OurPrideAndJoySnots
08-28-2012, 11:59 AM
You could also upload to flickr. It spits out several resolutions that you can choose from. Take the following link for example. Choose the size you want and then strip the static location.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jflint/1388786057/sizes/l/in/pool-10555783@N00/

Maroon Eagle
08-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Now that could work. Flickr is the perhaps the one major photo sharing site to which my workplace allows access. Thanks.

OurPrideAndJoySnots
08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome!

sixpackspeak
08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Yes, I agree that resizing and optimizing before upload / attachment is the best thing to do.

It would be very easy to restrict image sizes in posts but that is not the issue here.

If you insert an image and then double-click it, you can choose between thumbnail, medium, large and full size. This is good because it maintains consistency of size.

499px ◊ 104px (scaled to 300px ◊ 63px)

I could add a custom bbCode to do the job that you are asking. Normally it would be [img=WIDTHxHEIGHT]URL[img] but is it really necessary with all these other options?

You can see the code if you toggle the top left button on the advanced editor. (switch editor to source mode)