PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Ted Miller has an obsession with MSU

DawgatAuburn
11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Ted Miller: Obsessed

August 4, 2011
PAC 12 Blog (12:57 entry)
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/23856/big-ten-going-to-nine-conference-games

For example, take Mississippi State. Here's what they did last year (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/344/year/2010/mississippi-state-bulldogs). The Bulldogs have improved under Dan Mullen, but they would have been a middle-of-the-road team in the Pac-10 in 2010. They didn't beat any good teams, but they ended up 9-4 due to scheduling and finished ranked a wildly-inflated 15th.

And that earned them a No. 20 preseason ranking (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm) in the coaches poll, which the Bulldogs figure to maintain because they've scheduled four easy nonconference victories again: Memphis, Louisiana Tech, UAB and Tennessee-Martin.

No offense Mississippi State, but we'd love to see you schedule a game out West. You might enjoy a trip away from Starkville.

August 4, 2011
Chat
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/39596/ncaa-fb-with-ted-miller
JS (Pensacola, FL)

Do you honestly feel the Pac-12 is better than the SEC? If Mississippi State were in the pac-12 they win the conference, agree or disagree?
Ted Miller
(3:38 PM)
1. No I don't think the Pac-12 is better than the SEC; 2. I don't think the gap between the two conferences is terribly large; 3. I'd pick Oregon, Stanford, Arizona State, USC, Utah, Washington and Arizona to beat Mississippi State.

February 6, 2012
PAC 12 Blog (12:20 entry)
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/34199/acc-pac-12-and-big-12-to-play-nine-sec-heck-no

Mississippi State played in a bowl game last year despite going 2-6 in SEC play. No Pac-12 team played in a bowl game with fewer than four conference wins.

The Bulldogs best win last year? Probably an overtime win at home over Louisiana Tech, a game that Tech controlled but lost because of three turnovers.

When Mississippi State -- or many SEC teams -- makes its schedule, its singular goal is to guarantee four wins just about every year. That's what happens when you play teams like Memphis, UAB and Tennessee-Martin on an annual basis.

This wasn't always the case for Mississippi State. Just a few years back, it played home-and-home series with Georgia Tech and West Virginia. Solid teams. But after getting poleaxed in all four games by a combined count of 160-65, it decided it was better to get picked on by the Pac-12 blog than try to man-up against quality nonconference competition.

Oh, as a footnote, Mississippi State is already 4-0 in 2012: Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama and Middle Tennessee State. No, I did not make that nonconference schedule up (http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=205349749).

April 27, 2012
Pac 12 Blog
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/37985/pac-12-lunch-links-no-wimpy-scheduling

The SEC is the nation's best football conference. Six consecutive national titles leave little doubt, particularly with five different teams claiming at least one in the BCS era. And the draft numbers for Thursday were impressive. There is a gap between the SEC and every other conference, and my belief is that gap has widened over the past 10 years -- from being mostly perception to become (self-fulfilling?) reality.

So what am I saying about scheduling? Well, dagnabit, I'm going to pick on Mississippi State again (http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/34199/acc-pac-12-and-big-12-to-play-nine-sec-heck-no). Apologies in advance, lovely Starkville.

Last year, the Bulldogs' nonconference schedule (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/344/year/2011/mississippi-state-bulldogs) featured Memphis, Louisiana Tech, UAB and Tennessee-Martin. This is hard to believe, but the 2012 slate is even more embarrassing: Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama and Middle Tennessee.

June 29, 2012 (11am entry)
PAC 10 Blog
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/40642/what-should-the-selection-committee-look-like

“This sort of statement needs to be made, if necessary: "It's great that Mississippi State has shocked everyone and won the SEC West. But its nonconference schedule (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/344/mississippi-state-bulldogs) means it can't be a final four team. This will be a hard lesson for the Bulldogs and, by extension, the SEC. But they surely will thank us for it later."

June 29, 2012 (6 pm entry)
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/40680/opening-the-mailbag-husky-roses-and-playoff-questions

“According to me, Oregon should be disqualified because of its weak nonconference schedule. Of course, the Ducks situation is different from teams like Mississippi State, which go to great lengths annually -- and without apology -- to avoid playing tough nonconference competition. Oregon is in a bind because Kansas State backed out of a home-and-home series. Further, the Ducks have a long and strong tradition of tough nonconference scheduling. Their 2012 slate is an anomaly and not something the Ducks sought out.”

November 28, 2012 (7 pm entry)
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/50300/pac-12-has-7-5-disease

Arizona, Arizona State, USC and Washington fans: Go here (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/344/mississippi-state-bulldogs). Soak it up. Take in the glory of Mississippi State.

(At this point, we'd encourage Mississippi State fans to turn away. Just as we are supposed to love the sinner but hate the sin, we love you but not your schedule).

The Bulldogs' best win this year was over Middle Tennessee, a team that lost to McNeese State. Its four SEC wins came against teams that went a combined 14-34.

Arizona, you beat Oklahoma State, Washington and USC. Arizona State, you beat Arizona. USC, you beat Arizona State and Washington. Washington, you beat Stanford and Oregon State. Heck, Arizona's win over Toledo and Washington's over San Diego State are better than anything Mississippi State did this year.

Each of you, I suspect, would pound Mississippi State. The Bulldogs, bless their hearts, aren't very good.

57stratdawg
11-30-2012, 09:13 AM
haha wow.. I don't see why this guy goes after us so much. We get it, we play a soft OOC schedule. No one in the country argues otherwise, but who knows if we would beat those teams he mentioned.

Why does it matter if we finish the season #24 in the AP poll? I don't see why that bothers him so much.

KurtRambis4
11-30-2012, 09:18 AM
That guy's a nut.

redbird4state
11-30-2012, 09:18 AM
That guy can say what he wants about scheduling but our 2010 team was damn good. So close to beating eventual MNC Auburn and triple overtime loss to Arkansas that went to the Sugar Bowl.

Edit to add: Ass raping of Michigan. Don't care how "bad" they were

birdawg
11-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Why should we play tough non-conference foes when we already play anywhere from 4-6 top 15 teams annually within our own conference?

SignalToNoise
11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Did his wife cheat on him with someone with MSU ties or something? Sounds like he has a personal vendetta.

DovaDawg
11-30-2012, 09:33 AM
So let me get this straight, we should fly all the way out West to play a Pac-12 team and potentially get an L or we can play Memphis (recruiting area / low travel cost) and get an easy W that counts towards putting us in a bowl (money / extra practice / morale). What am I failing to see here that benefits us going out west?

MedDawg
11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
haha wow.. I don't see why this guy goes after us so much. We get it, we play a soft OOC schedule. No one in the country argues otherwise, but who knows if we would beat those teams he mentioned.

Why does it matter if we finish the season #24 in the AP poll? I don't see why that bothers him so much.Ted Miller started his career covering Auburn in 1997. Same year State started a 4-year win streak against them. So he is probably simply ******** from then.

kired
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Does anyone read this? I mean, it's a pac10 blog...

fishwater99
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't think he liked it at all...

InaccuratePredictionsDawg
11-30-2012, 10:01 AM
...e-mail him & tell him to stop acting like a concern-trolling dick when it comes to Miss. State, here's his contact page...

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/mailbag/_/id/21420

WalkTheDawg
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
WTF are we supposed to do? When playing highly ranked Oregon, highly ranked West Virginia, Houston with Sumlin on the sideline and Kolb behind center, and a good Georgia Tech team the media line was "MSU can't do that year in and year out. With a tough SEC slate they need to schedule smarter"

Now it's "look at the cream puffs! Schedule harder!"

When have we heard any criticism toward FL state for scheduling? They are probably going to the Orange bowl playing 2 ranked teams all year.... And an un ranked team in the ACC championship. Duke, Maryland, Boston college, Wake Forest as Conference games? Then Murray state and Savannah State OOC?

Bu bu bu they played Florida OOC!!!! Big fn whoop. Without that game you go to the BCS without playing a top 10 team all year.

ESPN is glowing for praise for Ohio State when they have only played 2 ranked teams? None in the top 11?

Oregon? Played one top 10 team and LOST. Played Two ranked teams all year.

Want Mississippi State to play more Oregons and West Virginias? Well get Oregon to play OOC with Michigan, get Florida State to play Notre Dame OOC. Get Nebraska to Play Oregon State OOC.

Till the big boys in the PAC 12, Big 12, and Big 10 Play three top 10 teams in a row. Until then they can STFU.

Seinfeld
11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Good lord. The first problem is that the man clearly has the typical inferiority complex about the Pac12 as compared to the SEC, even though he admitted to saying that they SEC was better. You don't throw out comments like "come play a team out West" without being butt hurt about it.

Secondly, if that's his agenda, he really needs to get some new material to make his point.

Thirdly and probably best of all, the funny thing is that I'm not sure that he'd get a single argument from an MSU fan other than that we don't "need" to play a strong OOC opponent. He's preaching to the choir in terms of us not really being all that great of a team.

bonedaddy401
11-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Ted,

Your obsession with Mississippi State is not only entertaining but also humbling. Don't be mad at us that your conference gets zero respect nationally. Its not Mississippi State's fault. Its teams you respect like Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Cal and others who year after year let you down in bowl games and non conference play.

Pac 12 teams have to have a stronger non conference schedule because your conference doesn't make for a strong schedule in itself. You have to beef up an already weak slate of games. We at Mississippi State do not have to do so because of the conference we belong in. Losing to Alabama, LSU and A&M gets us more respect than some teams in the PAC 12 get for WINNING games. Thus the scheduling strategy. I for one would love to have been able to play Washington, Cal, Washington State, Arizona St, Arizona, Utah or Colorado. Only 3 of those are bowl eligible. Lets see how they do in those bowl games.

PS - If you want to no more about why we schedule like we do ask Greg Byrne, AD at Arizona. It was his idea.

FISHDAWG
11-30-2012, 10:56 AM
well done Bonedaddy ... first alternate to an Engie response that I hope is forthcoming

dawgstudent
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Spelling error - yikes. Know instead of "no" in the PS.

aTotal360
11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
http://www.freelancecopywritersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/whatif-i-told-you.jpg

InaccuratePredictionsDawg
11-30-2012, 11:18 AM
...he's already on record saying he thinks Miss. State will finish in the final AP top 25 if MSU wins their bowl game. If MSU wins their bowl game, I'm going to e-mail him & demand he stay true to his word & use one of his articles to make the case for a 9-4 Miss. State team to be ranked in the AP top 25. I have his contact page bookmarked. Suddenly my desire to see MSU win their bowl game has increased 3-fold.

bonedaddy401
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeaaaaa.... damn it. The negative nature of my email took over and I blacked out.

DawgatAuburn
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
The archivist lives.

KurtRambis4
11-30-2012, 11:35 AM

MedDawg
11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
If nothing else, if we are going to the Gator Bowl, I'd like to mention that as he wrote we were going to the MCB.

I tried to add this to the comments, but haven't been able to get it to work on this computer.

Mississippi State had the
#1 toughest schedule in the country in 2009 (Top 3 toughest in NCAA's previous 10 years),
#30 toughest in 2010 (tougher than all of the Pac12's except Arizona and Oregon State), and
#25 toughest in 2011 (tougher than all of the Pac12's except Arizona).

So give us a break for one year. We are opening 2013 against Oklahoma State, and just in the past 6 regular seasons we have played an 11-win Georgia Tech BCS bowl team, a 9-win GaTech team, a 10-win Houston team, and two 11-win West Virginia teams, not to mention the extremely tough SEC/SEC West schedule we face each year (best division in cfb history in 2010/11).

Our wins may not be against the strongest competition this year, yet this past weekend's loss to in-state rival Ole Miss was Mississippi State and Dan Mullen's first loss in 4 seasons to a team with fewer than 8 wins (and OM will win 7). Can Arizona, ASU, Washington, and USC say that? UW lost to 3-9 WSU last weekend and a 3-9 OSU last year. ASU lost to 5-7 (#11 in the SEC) Missouri earlier this season and 4-8 WSU last year. Arizona lost to 3-9 Oregon State and 3-10 Colorado last year. USC lost to 6-7 ASU last year, 5-7 OSU in 2010, and 5-7 UW in 2009.

Ted Miller has 'picked' on Mississippi State for 3 seasons, but we have been one of the most consistent teams around, at least compared to the some of the teams he mentioned in this article. And I don't disagree with the difficulties of a 9-game conference schedule, but leave MSU out of it.

jakldawg
11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Pat Forde likes the cut of this guy's jib.

dawgstudent
11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Custom title added. If you remember any others from the old board - please do tell.

diddog
11-30-2012, 12:44 PM
It is what some of us having been saying the past two years. Our best win last year was La. Tech. There is no doubt about that fact.
Our best win this year was Tennessee. Followed by Troy.

Those are really bad teams. In the past two years, we haven't beat anyone any good. And by any good, I mean in the top 40 teams in America. This year, we didn't beat anyone in the top 50.

I've always said that MSU's athletic dept. scheduling is based upon the premise that you can fool most the people most of the time. As long as we go 7-5 and beat a bunch of terrible teams, no one cares. But if we a tough OOC opponent, we may go 5-7. In most years, when Arkansas, Tennessee, KY and Auburn are not at the deepest lows in their respective histories, then we won't go 8-4.

This was not a good team.

gtowndawg
11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
they are 8-3, with a chance of 9-3 after Saturday. They beat Georgia Tech at Georgia Tech...badly. They are 6-1 in a conference that is very good this year.

/I'm not saying MTSU is some stud team, but in retrospect, it's our best win.

Negative Waves
11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
they find every reason in the world to put us down. Weak schedule, haven't beaten anybody, etc. Well, what the idiots willfully forget is that we were LOSING to those teams 4 years ago. Now, we are getting better and all of the sudden they think we're supposed to be beating Bama and LSU and scheduling four top 10 teams for our OOC games. They complain about our weak schedule, but rant and rave when Boise State goes 12-0 against WAC teams and wonder why they're not playing in the championship game. Additionally, our fans are buying into it and putting down the team after an 8-4 season. If you told State fans 6 years ago that we would have 3 straight winning seasons and go to 3 straight bowls, we would've been elated. Now, we poor mouth the team after winning 8 games. Sure, the 4 losses were embarassing, but an 8 win season at State is rare. Enjoy it because what has happened the last 3 years doesn't happen very often around here. Mullen needs to change some things this offseason, but some of the talk on this board has been insane since the Egg Bowl.

johnson86-1
11-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I've always said that MSU's athletic dept. scheduling is based upon the premise that you can fool most the people most of the time. As long as we go 7-5 and beat a bunch of terrible teams, no one cares. But if we a tough OOC opponent, we may go 5-7.

Going 7-5 against a middle of the road schedule is not fooling anybody. Most people are not idiots and recognize that having a mediocre team that goes 7-5 is better than having a mediocre team that goes 5-7. Hell, having a mediocre team that goes 7-5 is better than having a pretty good team go 5-7 like we did in 2009. People would much prefer to have a good team, but since having a top 5 SOS does not make us better than having a top 30 SOS (which is normally as low as we will drop being in the SEC), there's no reason to try for a top 5 SOS. We might as well have a top 30 SOS and enjoy going to some bowl games.

And seriously, we had one of the weakest schedules I can remember at MSU and we still played 3 top 15 teams. How many teams did that this year? If our schedule had worked out like people expected, we would have played two top five teams (LSU and Bama) and 3 to 4 teams competing for a spot in teh top 25 (UT, A&M, Arkansas, and maybe Auburn). The schedule just looked weird because A&M ended up being closer to a top 10 team and Arkansas, UT, and Auburn more or less shit the bed, so we ended up with a bipolar schedule.

maroonmania
11-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Going 7-5 against a middle of the road schedule is not fooling anybody. Most people are not idiots and recognize that having a mediocre team that goes 7-5 is better than having a mediocre team that goes 5-7. Hell, having a mediocre team that goes 7-5 is better than having a pretty good team go 5-7 like we did in 2009. People would much prefer to have a good team, but since having a top 5 SOS does not make us better than having a top 30 SOS (which is normally as low as we will drop being in the SEC), there's no reason to try for a top 5 SOS. We might as well have a top 30 SOS and enjoy going to some bowl games. And seriously, we had one of the weakest schedules I can remember at MSU and we still played 3 top 15 teams. How many teams did that this year? If our schedule had worked out like people expected, we would have played two top five teams (LSU and Bama) and 3 to 4 teams competing for a spot in teh top 25 (UT, A&M, Arkansas, and maybe Auburn). The schedule just looked weird because A&M ended up being closer to a top 10 team and Arkansas, UT, and Auburn more or less shit the bed, so we ended up with a bipolar schedule.normally because you get physically beat up and your confidence gets shot to hell. Playing a tougher schedule in basketball is smart because even near break even teams make the NCAAs with a tough SOS, in football a tough SOS just buys you more bumps and bruises and wounded pride.

diddog
11-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Going 7-5 against a middle of the road schedule is not fooling anybody. Most people are not idiots and recognize that having a mediocre team that goes 7-5 is better than having a mediocre team that goes 5-7. Hell, having a mediocre team that goes 7-5 is better than having a pretty good team go 5-7 like we did in 2009. People would much prefer to have a good team, but since having a top 5 SOS does not make us better than having a top 30 SOS (which is normally as low as we will drop being in the SEC), there's no reason to try for a top 5 SOS. We might as well have a top 30 SOS and enjoy going to some bowl games.

And seriously, we had one of the weakest schedules I can remember at MSU and we still played 3 top 15 teams. How many teams did that this year? If our schedule had worked out like people expected, we would have played two top five teams (LSU and Bama) and 3 to 4 teams competing for a spot in teh top 25 (UT, A&M, Arkansas, and maybe Auburn). The schedule just looked weird because A&M ended up being closer to a top 10 team and Arkansas, UT, and Auburn more or less shit the bed, so we ended up with a bipolar schedule.

If we went 5-7 against a tougher schedule, rather than 7-5 (and I agree with the other poster that a tougher schedule hurts more than just in losses, because losses hurt your confidence, will, etc. and build upon themselves), then people would be calling for Mullen's job and to a less extent there would be heat on the AD. The AD doesn't want that heat and so plays the most cupcake OOC schedule in the SEC the past two years. Heck, we are only playing Okie State next year due to a dropout from a weaker opponent.

Our best win the past two years according to Sagarin, for example, is La. Tech last year at number 40, then it was not a good year. This year it was Tennessee at 56.

dogmatic
11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Emailing a guy like this is the equivalent of replying "Unsubscribe" to generic spam email. It just lets them know they've randomly found a live person.

If he were a reasonable sportswriter trying to do a good job, an email might be of benefit. That's rarely the case anywhere anymore.