Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LOCKED - What do you know about MSU's campus that no one else knows?

Name something about campus that is relatively unknown, in which others might find interesting.

The top section of bricks on the LLoyd Ricks Watson building resemble a confederate flag.

Best photographic evidence I have found on the internet so far:
    Last edited by DawgatAuburn; 10-06-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Towel Whips | Busted Lips Yes | No

If I told you then someone else would know**

The cafeteria was meant to look like a church in case of an bombing attack the students could go there for safety.

What year was the cafeteria built?

If the building looked like a church, it was off limits to bombing?

On the second floor of the new union there's a photo of old main that has a hand written reference to the location that would make an ESPN writer say "Damn!"

There is a masonic symbol in every building on campus

Quote Originally Posted by pDigital32Dawg View Post
    If the building looked like a church, it was off limits to bombing?
    nt

Completely False information there

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Forbin View Post
    The cafeteria was meant to look like a church in case of an bombing attack the students could go there for safety.
    The cafeteria was actually modeled after a building at West Point Military Academy, since MSU did have a military background.

The top section of bricks on the LLoyd Ricks Watson building resemble a confederate flag.
    Do you know why though? First president Lee was a former confederate general and every building built under his supervision of the school had the stars and bars lining the roof. Most buildings have been rebricked or raised like McCain, but Lloyd Ricks isn't the only building like that one still. It's not necessarily something they tell you during orientation because Lee's reasoning was pretty bad.

As far as stuff less known, I don't really know. McComas, the performing arts building looks like a grand piano from the sky? I think everyone knows that. MSU owns more acreage (not on campus) than any university in the US? We're getting a 2nd cafeteria where the current tennis courts are located? There is/was a penthouse apartment ontop of Swalm? They're adding a floor to the library?

I feel like everyone knows that stuff. I've got nothing.

I have an awesome place to drop a deuce on gamedays that apparently nobody else knows about. Won't be sharing that information for obvious reasons.

The mortar joints on the Lloyd Ricks building are 3/4" rather than the standard 3/8".

the Library has the same confederate flag looking detail

just under the cornice, similar to Lloyd-Ricks

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    The abstract statue that's in front of Dorman (it may be gone I can't remember) looks like two people doing it doggie style from a certain angle.

Dollar sign at the apex of the Montgomery Hall east pediment.

A noble past - A promising future. That creation gave art a bad name.

Is there still an underground tunnel between the Union and the Cafeteria?

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Sex

A lot of loving has occured in parked cars near the present site of Humphrey Colliseum. We called it Cow Hill.

Some of you, or your parents, may well have been conceived there.

The floor plan of McComas was designed by Helen Keller.

...Because in 1921, there were trans-continental bombers? Fail.

Kind of reminds me of the peculiar statue on the corner of Stone Blvd/Bully Blvd in front of the Landscape Architecture building. I would like to know the story behind how that one came to be.

So does that mean that a noble past is doing a promising future from behind?

apparently, there is some really shitty soil or no irrigation for the leo seal jr football complex. the brand new shrubs that were installed in and around the area are now dried up twigs. the new ones around the mize pavilion are also struggling in spots. whoever is in charge of grounds needs to have a serious talking-to....it looks like shit primarily over at the seal jr side.

Eckie's pond used to used for artillery practice.....

Name something about campus that is relatively unknown, in which others might find interesting.

Best photographic evidence I have found on the internet so far:
    During the corp of cadet days one of the military science classes used to mount a 22 rifle on an artillery carriage on the the drill field and shoot at a target floating on the pond.

Exactly

Your acuity astonishes.

Thank you sir.

It was still there in 2010

I got to do a project through the meteorology department where we had to identify all severe weather safe areas in all buildings on campus, then create new markers to label them. We got to go through that tunnel and check it out as a possible location.

There's also a tunnel that starts behind the YMCA building.

Also, you can get on the roof of Lee fairly easily (or you could several years ago) through a door in some storage space on the top floor.

my dad used to tell me some crazy stories about old main. one of my favorites was that they used to skeet shoot down the hallways using records that were skipped and thrown from the rooms. another one was that there used to be some heavy hvac type units in each room and they would tie the units to a rope and hang them out the window, tie it to the doorknob, and pull the pins out of the door hinges. when the unsuspecting student would turn the doorknob, the knob would fly out of their hand and the door would smash into the wall surrounding the window. from the way he talked about it, it sounded like these types of antics were pretty commonplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamoan View Post
    apparently, there is some really shitty soil or no irrigation for the leo seal jr football complex. the brand new shrubs that were installed in and around the area are now dried up twigs. the new ones around the mize pavilion are also struggling in spots. whoever is in charge of grounds needs to have a serious talking-to....it looks like shit primarily over at the seal jr side.

Same thing at the on/off ramp from hwy 12 and college view dr. That whole thing looks terrible

Quote Originally Posted by FirstPoetsThenSunDoggy View Post
    Is there still an underground tunnel between the Union and the Cafeteria?
    I used that tunnel a couple years ago for work. It goes from the basement for the Cafeteria to an elevator that comes up in the back room of that convenience store in the new Union.

Under the lower seating on the west side of the football stadium there is an area where they store extra product for the football games. There is an old cage set up for Bully and another for "Ms. Bully", or something along those line. That was the first and only time I had ever heard of a female version of Bully.

Also, I was told by a MSU Roadrunner on my college visit in 2005 that that cafeteria was designed to look like a church as well...they said because during WWI churches were typically not bombed by either side and MSU was a military college and could be a likely target.

Quote Originally Posted by esplanade91 View Post
    Do you know why though? First president Lee was a former confederate general and every building built under his supervision of the school had the stars and bars lining the roof. Most buildings have been rebricked or raised like McCain, but Lloyd Ricks isn't the only building like that one still. It's not necessarily something they tell you during orientation because Lee's reasoning was pretty bad.

As far as stuff less known, I don't really know. McComas, the performing arts building looks like a grand piano from the sky? I think everyone knows that. MSU owns more acreage (not on campus) than any university in the US? We're getting a 2nd cafeteria where the current tennis courts are located? There is/was a penthouse apartment ontop of Swalm? They're adding a floor to the library?

I feel like everyone knows that stuff. I've got nothing.
    2nd largest by acreage. Michigan state is the largest by a long shot

Kind of reminds me of the peculiar statue on the corner of Stone Blvd/Bully Blvd in front of the Landscape Architecture building. I would like to know the story behind how that one came to be.
    I call that one the shocker statue. Looks perfect for two in the pink, one in the stink.

Are you sure it's not A&M?

You can get on top of the jumbotron fairly easily. Probably the highest point on campus. Pretty neat

McComas was designed to look like a baby grand piano. I dont see it though.

tell us more..

are you seasoned at this?

Quote Originally Posted by HughJazz View Post
    You can get on top of the jumbotron fairly easily. Probably the highest point on campus. Pretty neat

Quote Originally Posted by AFDawg View Post
    There's also a tunnel that starts behind the YMCA building.

Also, you can get on the roof of Lee fairly easily (or you could several years ago) through a door in some storage space on the top floor.
    Hopefully the statue of limitations has run out on that one. The door to the west attic was unlocked the night we went and the roof hatch doesn't have a lock on it.

Steam tunnel under drill field

There is a tunnel that goes from McCain Walker parking lot under the drill field to a storage room in the Union. Its a tight squeeze but we made many runs back in the day. You would climb down a culvert in the parking lot then shimmy along the wall until you got to the storage room. For the girls or guys who freaked out like girls, you could escape half way through a manhole cover in the middle of the drill field.

My roommate and I went up there in broad daylight one summer. There wasn't anything that said you couldn't, so...

If you enter the stadium on the east side, which right by the police station, the scoreboard column on that side has a door that us unlocked. There is about 20 sets of ladders that go strait up and eventually you get to the place where all those loud ass speakers are. Then you take one more ladder and open the latch that's on top and you're there.

ETA: I have some pics but I don't know how to do that from my phone
    Last edited by HughJazz; 07-24-2013 at 04:56 PM.