Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

Looks like Diaz will be announced on Monday...

From what I was told.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

Real Nattys | Fake Nattys Yes | No

What an awful hire. A guy that cant coach or recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    What an awful hire. A guy that cant coach .
    Not sure how you came to this conclusion

It will be good to see more pressure on the pass rush. Solid hire

Damn 8.

He coached the worst def in tex history and underachieved greatly in 2010. If we move to the sunbelt its a great hire but its clear he is not ready for p5 football

Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    He coached the worst def in tex history and underachieved greatly in 2010. If we move to the sunbelt its a great hire but its clear he is not ready for p5 football
    Who do you suggest we hire?

I would have made a
    Play for summers or hired orgeron. At leat orgeron has been around great success, can recruit, hasnt proved he cant coach def at this level, and hasnt left us once already

And thats just off the top of my head. To think manny is the best we can do is depresing

I thought manny did a great job here and at la tech this year. Texas thought he did a great job here too

What Would Freezus Do? hatfieldms's Avatar

I completely agree

I have no desire to bring Diaz back. He has been terrible since he left and will obviously jump at the first chance to leave town. Screw that guy

Color me unimpressed.

I wonder how much more he will make vs his last stint at MSU. He has done absolutely nothing in that time to deserve a pay raise (left us, terrible at TX, solid job at lower school last year). Should be paid the same as when we hired him from MTSU.

Look at the bright side. He will probably win the recruiting battles he's in. I feel good about Manny pulling kids away from Troy and Southern Miss.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

La tech national def rankings:

Sacks -- 16th
    TFL -- 2nd
    Ints -- 1st
    Scoring def -- 39th
    Total def -- 35th

I'd say those are pretty respectable numbers for his 1st year

Quote Originally Posted by hatfieldms View Post
    I have no desire to bring Diaz back. He has been terrible since he left and will obviously jump at the first chance to leave town. Screw that guy
    So if an opposing company offered to double your salary, you'd turn em down?

I wouldn't expect to be offered my old job back at company A after company B canned me.

I think he has something to prove after the Texas debacle.

At least he won't run the psycho put your best players on the bench defense. He did well here the first time. Do yall really think coaches don't bounce around all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdawg View Post
    I wouldn't expect to be offered my old job back at company A after company B canned me.
    If your old boss thought highly of you, you might get your old job back.

This hire tells me mullen thinks much more of manny's ability than this board

I'm very underwhelmed. With the year we had, the exposure, lettermen coming back I think we can do much better

Im fine with it. He did well at Middle TN, here and LA Tech. Didn't do well at TX but Strong didn't do much this year either. As far as him possibly leaving after a year or two....so what? O wouldn't stay long either if he was successful. All of them have left us after a little success.

Fine with it. Business is business. A lot of posters on here post like a bunch of old women

Manny ' s defense will definitely be more focused on the pass rush. That is good. However, no matter who the DC is, they will have a huge challenge on their hands. I think the days of dominating defense are gone. Today's offensive schemes are very hard to defend and some are impossible to stop. We have a bunch of inexperience on tap for next year and the job is going to be tough. I hope the new guy will have something extra to bring to the table than what we had this past season with Collins.

Was he the fourth or fifth option?

Does Ole Miss like him???

If yes, then hope he doesn't come.
    If No, then come on down, Manny!!!

Anything that pisses OM off is exactly what I want!

True. And I should also add that I don't think Diaz would be a "terrible" hire. I'd be ok with it, but just not impressed or overly excited.

Didn't Mullen recently say that he wanted to bring someone in that completely embodies MSU? What am I missing in not understanding how a guy that has already fled Starkville at the first opportunity for more money "embodies' MSU?

Mullen has made a career in recruiting guys to the program that truly want to be here, so I'm really having a hard time understanding why we would bring a family back that has no desire to be in Starkville. I wish Diaz the best, but 17 bringing him back. He can't possibly be our best option

Texas had a lot bigger problems than Manny Diaz. Brown tried to make him the scapegoat, but it was too late. This isn't a home run hire, but it's not a bad one by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    Fine with it. Business is business. A lot of posters on here post like a bunch of old women
    Yes. What he said.

Wonder if we will be paying him his old salary?

I will trust Dan to make the hire. I do hope that if we hire Diaz, it isn't because we weren't willing to pay the going rate for a proven defensive coordinator. If does end up being a rehire of Manny Diaz, I hope we don't overpay either. Don't intend to sound bipolar here, but for a potential special year in 2015, we should have been willing to pay a million bucks or more for a "proven" defensive coordinator. In Manny's case, his epic fail in Austin, TX casts a shadow on him being "proven". Thus Diaz probably shouldn't command more than 500k or so in his initial yearly salary. Do a great job in year one, then reward him in year 2. As for "yaw, yaw football" Coach O, he might be a proven recruiter and d-line coach, but he is not a proven DC yet either, so I'd be so wary of overpaying him as well. I'd say 800k would be fair in year 1 for Ed O if he were hired as the sole defensive coordinator. Too bad we cannot combine Orgeron with someone else and get the best of both worlds.

I'm ok with it too. Almost everybody like him when he was here and hated to see him leave for Texas. And I doubt that the Texas experience made him any worse, and might have opened his eyes a little. He should stick around as long as Mullen/MSU wants him to. I suspect he'll get a pretty good raise, somewhere between what we paid him before and what he made at Texas. Mullen must know that our defense was the weak point this year most of the time, and that losing Collins isn't the end of the world. Manny will be at least as good as Collins was.

Hopefully this is not true

Quote Originally Posted by hatfieldms View Post
    Not terrible since he left. Terrible at texas but everyone has been lately. I thought he did fine here before and think he will do fine again.

I don't understand everyone acting like he sucks because of Texas. Plenty of guys made a bad career move and have been succesful afterwards. Saban and Petrino come to mind.

Texas was s train wreck, Manny got served

Up as a sacrifice when Brown should have been fired. I seem to recall that Texas sucked offensively trying to play old style while Manny was facing what now are some of the most potent offenses in the country in the big 12 and his defense stayed on the field a lot.
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

Whom ever becomes our DC, I just hope that he is teaching and stressing to his players the proper fundamentals like getting off of blocks and wrapping up when tackling. Made me so angry and sad at the same time this past year to see good athletes in the right place at the right time blowing their assignment because of poor fundamentals or technique.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    La tech national def rankings:

Sacks -- 16th
    TFL -- 2nd
    Ints -- 1st
    Scoring def -- 39th
    Total def -- 35th

I'd say those are pretty respectable numbers for his 1st year
    Also 5th in turnover margin. I think this is an excellent hire.

It is true. Dan heard about it on the radio.

Weren't we second in the SEC in sacks this year?

Coverage sacks.**
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Didn't Mrs Manny hate Starkville while they were here? What were the stories about selling the house, etc?