Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak

Ely's Restaurant Preseason Prognosticators - Ole Miss Rebels

DATE OPPONENT
    9-5-16 Florida State @Orlando, FL (Mon.) ..
    9-10-16 WOFFORD ..
    9-17-16 ALABAMA ..
    9-24-16 GEORGIA ..
    10-1-16 MEMPHIS ..
    10-15-16 at Arkansas ..
    10-22-16 at Louisiana State ..
    10-29-16 AUBURN ..
    11-5-16 GEORGIA SOUTHERN ..
    11-12-16 at Texas A&M ..
    11-19-16 at Vanderbilt ..
    11-26-16 MISSISSIPPI STATE ..

**Click here to do your picks for the other SEC Teams that have previously been posted

Last edited by dawgstudent; 06-16-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    8-4 (5-3)

They have a ridiculously tough schedule. UGA, Arkansas, Auburn, A&M, Vandy are their 5 SEC wins.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

8-4 (5-3)

L's to FSU, Bama, LSU, and either UGA or Ark.

I can see them sneaking up on Wofford...1-11.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

0-12 (0-8) *

* 8-4 (4-4) before the NCAA vacates their wins

1-5 (0-2) Nothing left to play for.

4 yrs probation, 30 schollies, bowl ban, 2 coaches fired, 2 show causes

6-6. They better come to play every week. FSU has the SEC shadow chip on their shoulder. From GA to the end of the season, they will be playing a team where their coach is coaching for his job or a coach has something to prove. HK struggles to pump sunshine.

7-5 (4-4).

6-6 (3-5)

losses to FSU, Bama, UGA, LSU, A&M, MSU

When does Ole Miss go before the Committee of Infractions? I can see anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2 depending on what happens and the Rebels' psychology....

7-5 (4-4)

They are a good team but have one of, if not, the hardest schedules in the country. I think they start 1-3.

6-6, 3-5 Losses to FSU, Bama, UGA, LSU, Arky, MSU

0-13. They get invited to the Repentance Bowl because of 'Exemplary Cooperation' and promptly lose to Liberty College.

5-7. Self imposed bowl ban. Freeze suspended for bowl game that doesn't happen.

5-7

6-6 (3-5). They don't get above .500 until the Georgia Southern game, and it doesn't last long.

9-3 (6-2)
    Let's be real. They're 17ing good.

Well played

nm
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

I agree, Vaught would shit his pants looking at that schedule.

nm
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

9-3 (6-2)

losses to bama, lsu, fsu

8-4 (5-3) L - FSU, Alabama, LSU, and... Auburn

8-4 (5-3) SEC

Quote Originally Posted by dawgstudent View Post
    8-4 (5-3)

They have a ridiculously tough schedule. UGA, Arkansas, Auburn, A&M, Vandy are their 5 SEC wins.
    Name wise yes it's tough, but they catch Bama and UGA early, which is better than late. And they catch Vandy and TAMU late, which is better than early. Their trip to Arkansas is no longer late November, which also is a plus.

Going to be hard for a coach with a show cause hanging over his head to inspire players. Hate it for them.....sarcastically!

Since I know you are all dying for me to weigh in.. I say anywhere from 8-4 to 10-2, so I'll split the difference and go 9-3 (6-2). The schedule is brutal. Our offense should be pretty explosive with the experience back at QB, and we have a ton of weapons, but the backend of our defense scares me.. a lot. I think we will be a middle of the pack type defense, this year.

Florida State is as talented as any team in the country.. So, that's a monster test in the opening week. If we could somehow win that one (which I don't anticipate), then we would be set up for a major, College Gameday type, game with Alabama in week 3. But, in all likelihood, we will be 1-1 heading into a, still very big, game with Alabama. I like catching them early, though, with the QB position possibly still unsettled. Ditto for Georgia. Yeah, they are both going to be ridiculously talented, but I'd rather play them in weeks 3 and 4 than weeks 10 and 11. But, Saban according to the 27,563 times that ESPN mentioned it last year, was like 13-1 in "revenge games", and I think he's 1-0 in "super duper revenge games", so we should be nervous about that, I suppose.

Road trips to Arkansas and LSU in back to back weeks is really tough, and Arkansas has had our number under Freeze (damn you 4th and 25), so I just hope we can go 1-1 in that stretch, realistically. Who knows what Auburn and A&M are going to have.. I could see either of them winning 9 or 10 games, and I could see either of them completely imploding, and a coach getting fired midsesaon. And we also have a road trip to Vandy the week before the Egg Bowl, which has major letdown potential, because we will be looking ahead to the big "not our true rival, because that makes us feel so important to pretend like it's true" rivalry game with Miss. State. And Derek Mason is a very, very good defensive coach.

And, finally, I'm glad the Egg Bowl is in Oxford this year. Because I think you guys are going to be a good bit better than even the majority of you are predicting. You'll be fine at QB, and probably pretty good at QB. If Mullen has proven anything in his coaching career it's that he can develop a QB (and get under our skin). His track record speaks for itself. The experience you bring back on the OL is key, and you have some really good defensive personnel. And, as we all know so well, crazy shit happens in that game. I think we will win a game that people think we won't (Florida State, Alabama, or @ LSU), but I think we will also lose one that Vegas thinks we shouldn't (Auburn, @ Vandy, or Miss. State.... and Ga. Southern whispers echos of Memphis and Jacksonville State in my ear, too).

Not real sure how the offense can be expected to be so explosive. You guys will be good on the offensive side of the ball - with a good QB and some good options at WR. You are going to miss treadwell as much for his blocking on the edge as for his playmaking ability. It's an even bigger loss than most realize. Your offensive line is very, very troublesome. Your RBs consist of Judd and a bunch of Duds.

You'll score points because Freeze is crafty offensively. Kelly has to stay healthy or things can go south very quickly. I know, I know, Shea Patterson!!!11!!!

The NCAA stuff looming will take it's toll.....MSU fans speak from experience on this.

All extremely fair points, no doubt. But, you could say the main QB going down would hurt almost any team. You just have to make prognostications assuming health. I think Patterson will be really good before he leaves Ole Miss, but if he has to start games this year, we are in trouble.

I think Tunsil missing 7 games last year will help us this year.. But, we still better hope that Greg Little is as good as advertised. Truth is, we were really good offensively last year, with a serviceable OL. Rod Taylor not fighting lockers, and Javon Patterson having a year's experience under his belt should be an improvement on our interior OL. There's plenty of reasons to be concerned there, though. I just think we will be explosive because we should have high level QB play, and we have a lot of weapons out wide. We have an insane amount of talent and depth at WR, in my extremely biased opinion.

Your point about missing Treadwell's blocking is the one that is the absolute most spot-on. He was the best blocking WR I've ever seen at the college level. He took pride in it. Freeze once told a story (in between snake handling) about how the first day Treadwell was on campus, he came by Freeze's office and asked him how he could become a better blocker, out wide? Freeze said that's the only time in his career he's had a WR ask him that, and it was Treadwell's #1 concern. I always thought that was pretty cool.. There's no doubt that we will miss Treadwell. No way around it. But, I'm hoping the year of experience under Kelly's belt will mitigate some of that loss.

And, this time of year it's just a lot more fun to assume the best, than dwell on the weaknesses. If we are going to get exposed, that harsh reality will be here soon enough.