Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LOCKED - Question for the Jacksonites

Could Brandon/Flowood/Madison/Clinton build a connector road and just become a kickass set of suburbs?

I am of the belief that suburbs are great, but they need a great city. Jackson is a shithole. There are places that have not had water for 2 weeks. It may fall apart tonight with these temperatures. They just let the alleged killer of a young girl out of jail while aggressively seeking murder against an older man defending his property.
    Last edited by dawgstudent; 01-18-2018 at 10:46 AM.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Grown Ass Man | Troy Aikman Yes | No

1. Cant imagine its financially feasible if its even feasible
    from an engineering standpoint

2. It would not make those suburbs any different than they are

You know about the Clinton-Byram parkway, right?

Link.

Yes - its the wrong way though. Need to connect Madison and the Flowood/Brandon area somehow.

Iíve always thought it would be great if 220 could be continued to connect into 20 somewhere around pearl or Brandon.

Brandon is the one that takes awhile to get to. I live in Madison (off of rice road) and it only takes about 15 minutes to get to Flowood.

And how would that be done with the Reservoir in the way?

Tunnels under the Reservoir.

Or Runnels?

Wait a minute...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25318C4E-4075-40CF-BF2E-576895BD5D00.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	9400

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Jackson is worse than a shithole. The schools have been closed 2 weeks for broken water pipes and now theyre closed again. Those kids will have to go to school thru June assuming the pipes are fixed this week and thereís no more snow closings. State employees have been using porta johns in 20 degree weather for 2 weeks because theyíre at the mercy of Jacksons infrastructure. Itís embarrassing and itís almost comical. My concern living in Madison is that Iím still too damn close to Jackson. It seriously concerns me over the next 25 years. Thereís just not much a buffer. And I Agree- Madison, Brandon, etc.... individually arenít big enough to do some of the things Iíd like to see but combined, theyíd be capable of much more. But given the logistics, I just donít see it without something like what youíre talking about. And Madison canít go too far north without getting into Canton. Already half of lake Caroline is in the canton school district. Brandon still has plenty of room to expand.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Hard to build a direct route from Madison to Flowood with the Reservoir there, unless they construct a Causeway style bridge.
    And I don't see the economic benefit being great enough to warrant the expenditure on that kind of infrastructure investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post
    And how would that be done with the Reservoir in the way?

Tunnels under the Reservoir.

Or Runnels?

Wait a minute...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25318C4E-4075-40CF-BF2E-576895BD5D00.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	9400
    Iím not proposing this be done. I said it would be nice. Obviously, I understand this has not been done for a reason. But I believe a bridge would be more reasonable than a tunnel.

Bridges would be more reasonable than a tunnel but you know we are in Mississippi.

I seriously think the best thing that could happen for Jackson would be for the U.S. Government to take over for about 12 years and rebuild the city at all levels.

4 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

If you think you need additional buffer then you might as well build a bunker in the woods.

Detroit is Exhibit A of what needs to happen. Chapter 9. Appoint a Conservator and give him/her absolute authority answerable only to a federal bankruptcy judge. Shitcan the elected administration.

7 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

Jackson would have to be in default or near default to go to Chapter 9 and state law makes it hard for cities to get into such a position.

You could go Flora/Gluckstadt/Madison/Brandon/Flowood if you buil up infrastructure out by hwy 43 bridge from Canton to Brandon. The bigger hurdle would be getting Madison and Rankin County to work together.

The State needs to take over JPS. They have a co-governing agreement so to speak to manage downtown around the Capitol.

Fixing JPS and or allowing the proliferation of Charter Schools is the only hope. I actually donít think the new Mayor is terrible but the problems are so enormous there may not be a solution.

Jackson needs to cede over some control and the State needs to step in with some investment. Having the State Capitol as a disaster is bad for the whole State.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

We have to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    You could go Flora/Gluckstadt/Madison/Brandon/Flowood if you buil up infrastructure out by hwy 43 bridge from Canton to Brandon. The bigger hurdle would be getting Madison and Rankin County to work together.

The State needs to take over JPS. They have a co-governing agreement so to speak to manage downtown around the Capitol.

Fixing JPS and or allowing the proliferation of Charter Schools is the only hope. I actually donít think the new Mayor is terrible but the problems are so enormous there may not be a solution.

Jackson needs to cede over some control and the State needs to step in with some investment. Having the State Capitol as a disaster is bad for the whole State.
    Letís give the state Jackson too, cause the state government is ran so well**

No more state highway money should be spent in Jackson until they finish all the other rural projects that have been dragging out for the last 40 years. The highway 19 project from Meridian to Philly then up 15 to Louisville will be 40 years old this summer and just got 130 million cancelled to build another 17 lane on I-55.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Maybe something like this, and then upgrade airport road to interstate quality? Take this as a rough estimate, since they'd want to avoid houses and wetlands if at all possible:

Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I seriously think the best thing that could happen for Jackson would be for the U.S. Government to take over for about 12 years and rebuild the city at all levels.

I do not want my money to be spent in Jackson to rebuild by the Feds.........
    McCowan flashed a smile. ďI did tonight,Ē she said.

0 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

The legislature already has a workable draft of an authorization statute. Politically difficult, yes. But very much on the table.

[QUOTE=615dawg;1445082] Jackson is a shithole.

I learned this past week that using the word "Shithole" to describe a city or country is racist.
    But I agree with your description of Jackson.

7 out of 14 sixpackers like this post

[QUOTE=Leeshouldveflanked;1445147]
    Quote Originally Posted by 615dawg View Post
    Jackson is a shithole.

I learned this past week that using the word "Shithole" to describe a city or country is racist.
    But I agree with your description of Jackson.
    It's not. But saying I don't want any of the people from that Shithole moving into my suburb could be interpreted as racist when 80% of the city is black.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Could Brandon/Flowood/Madison/Clinton build a connector road and just become a kickass set of suburbs?

I am of the belief that suburbs are great, but they need a great city. Jackson is a shithole. There are places that have not had water for 2 weeks. It may fall apart tonight with these temperatures. They just let the alleged killer of a young girl out of jail while aggressively seeking murder against an older man defending his property.
    The only way to take back over a city is for someone to make a sacrifice and move back in, thus voting out the people in office now. Gentrification if you will. But to do that, the Jackson residents will be displaced into a suburb.

I saw the story about the judge letting Coats loose, but who is the older man defending his property? Link?

Bottom line, the best Jackson can hope for is to revitalize the downtown from Fondren down to the river and a little bit south, ramp up police presence there, and hope to be a decent entertainment district for visitors and residents alike. Birmingham has done this successfully and people saying these same things about it 15 years ago. The County was in freaking bankruptcy over the sewer system.

Even Montgomery has done this. No reason Jackson cannot.

This keeps the vital economic engine of Jackson going, at the same time, without having to rebuild the crap areas.
    Last edited by 5049; 01-16-2018 at 09:29 PM.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

It'd be the same hellhole within 2 years after being rebuilt. It's Jackson's demographic that's the problem. The failing infrastructure is simply a result of piss poor dumbass leadership (or lack, thereof). I'm sorry if it offends some, but that's simply the truth.

12 out of 14 sixpackers like this post

Is this because the US government has clearly proven how good they are at running things or because of their clear prowess in money management?

Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    It'd be the same hellhole within 2 years after being rebuilt. It's Jackson's demographic that's the problem. The failing infrastructure is simply a result of piss poor dumbass leadership (or lack, thereof). I'm sorry if it offends some, but that's simply the truth.
    Everyone knows this, whether they admit it or not.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by QuaoarsKing View Post
    Maybe something like this, and then upgrade airport road to interstate quality? Take this as a rough estimate, since they'd want to avoid houses and wetlands if at all possible:

See that blue squiggly thing with no roads around it? It's not easy to put roads there and it's really expensive.

And you also drove across the Country Club of Jackson.

ETA but it would be nice.
    Last edited by She Mate Me; 01-16-2018 at 09:32 PM.

That is a testament some of the lunacy in Jackson, if the State could do better. Theyíd be better off hiring a management company.

Connector roads between Hwy 80 / I 20 in Brandon/Pearl and Lakeland are being built. Phase 2 of the Airport Parkway project opened a few months ago, and Phase 3 will seamlessly connect Hwy 18/I 20 to Lakeland. No feasible way to do much to connect that to Madison/Ridgeland other than what's already there though.

It's pretty evident none of you cookie cutter, Logans steakhouse, 45 minute commute lovers have actually seen all of the development going on in Jackson (The District, Fondren, Dowtown) Sure there are some problems going on but name a large city (especially Southern) that doesn't have issues. I want everywhere in Mississippi to thrive and that starts with having a vibrant capital city. The long term strength of the burbs depends on it too.

2 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Agree that there is a lot going on in Jackson. But unless they can get the crime problem under control, it's never going to really amount to much. The police do their job. The DA and the courts, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by QuaoarsKing View Post
    I've always thought they should start at I-220 North, go to Lake Harbor road on the reservoir, past Audobon Point, and follow one of the county roads all the way to I-20.

To take it one further, extend from there down to Highway 468, go through Hwy. 49, and then work your way up to I-220. That would make an I-220 Loop around the Jackson Metropolitan area.
    [image]https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46482010_10215768325618546_1036688621446365184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=aed9b556c63cf3d486fe00646d8824c9&oe=5C754991[/image]
    MooU Has Rednecks

My son just graduated Belhaven...

He loves the Belhaven/Fondren area.
    [image]https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46482010_10215768325618546_1036688621446365184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=aed9b556c63cf3d486fe00646d8824c9&oe=5C754991[/image]
    MooU Has Rednecks

We have to do something.
    I agree with this 110%!!!

Hard to get anybody to come through Jackson as long as Kenneth Stokes is throwing rocks and bricks at you.

6 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    He loves the Belhaven/Fondren area.
    We need all you big money Texas folks to come back and spend your money here and maybe we can have nice things

The State or even Feds taking over Jackson isn't going to solve Jackson's problems until some form of tax base, either industrial or residential, return to the city. The loss of major portions of their tax base along with some poor management are what have made this recipe of disaster Jackson currently has. As another poster mentioned it's going to take some folks with enough balls to invest back into the city, possibly gain a voting block, and enacting changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafiadawg View Post
    It's pretty evident none of you cookie cutter, Logans steakhouse, 45 minute commute lovers have actually seen all of the development going on in Jackson (The District, Fondren, Dowtown) Sure there are some problems going on but name a large city (especially Southern) that doesn't have issues. I want everywhere in Mississippi to thrive and that starts with having a vibrant capital city. The long term strength of the burbs depends on it too.
    ďSome problems...?Ē With all due respect, despite a couple of restaurants and some apartments going up at the district and whatever might be going on in Fondren, state employees for the last 2 1/2 weeks have been shitting in plastic boxes out on the street? And this isnít the first time this has happened. Every time it gets cold, this happens. And these restaurants located in Jackson are having to bring in bagged ice and even close some days because of the added expense of not having water. Name me another southern city where thatís going on right now. I donít think you can.

Living in Jackson aint for everyone, but I love it. No, I'll never send my kids to JPS. Yes, we lock our doors at night and don't leave valuables in our cars (you would do the same if you lived in any big city). But I live in an historic neighborhood full of 75 year old trees in a house that was built in 1930. I can walk to the grocery store and 4 different restaurant/bars (none of which are chains). My favorite watering hole is literally on my street. My business (also in Jackson) is 4 minutes away. When I walk my dog, she gets to sniff the grass in Eudora Welty's front yard. I don't know... maybe I am a sucker. I certainly don't judge people that have moved out (particularly for school reasons)... I understand the challenges. There are tradeoffs for living in a city that has had generations of bad leadership and the deck stacked against it, but I love my city and pray for its future.

7 out of 9 sixpackers like this post