Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best steak in Starkville?

What's your favorite?

Edited to be more specific:

I live in Starkville and when I want a good steak, I cook one at home. However, today is my birthday and my family wants to take me out to dinner in Starkville. If I ever do go out for a Steak, I go to the Tin Top in Pheba that does a great job. However, they are only open Thur-Sat. So, I want to find a decent steak IN Starkville for tonight!

Heard people talk about Veranda saying they are pretty good but never had one. Just not sure about anywhere else.
    Last edited by drail14me; 03-21-2018 at 11:58 AM.

General Stark | Colonel Sanders Yes | No

Best Steak

Quote Originally Posted by drail14me View Post
    What's your favorite?
    The best steak in the Starkville AREA is in West Point at Anthony's. I have never had a steak in the city of Starkville that can compare.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Braised short ribs > steaks

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

J Broussard's in Columbus is just as good or better. I think Anthony's uses a great cut, but they sometimes over-season their steaks.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Never been to Anthony's or Broussards, but I love the marinated ribeye from the Grill. That may not be fancy to high end for a lot of the posters here, but I like it. However, when I really want a steak I'll go to East MS Wholesale Food and get them to cut me a 1.5" ribeye I marinate myself and grill. I usually much rather have one I cook myself.

PM me if you need a better recipe. **
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh's Burner Phone View Post
    Never been to Anthony's or Broussards, but I love the marinated ribeye from the Grill. That may not be fancy to high end for a lot of the posters here, but I like it. However, when I really want a steak I'll go to East MS Wholesale Food and get them to cut me a 1.5" ribeye I marinate myself and grill. I usually much rather have one I cook myself.
    There is nothing "fancy" about Anthony's. Don't need to dress up. It's even BYO Wine and Liquor. But the atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the food is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by aTotal360 View Post
    J Broussard's in Columbus is just as good or better. I think Anthony's uses a great cut, but they sometimes over-season their steaks.
    Never been. Will have to try. Had steak at Huck's and came away disappointed. Wasn't up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 57stratdawg View Post
    I'll agree with this. I love steak, but I've learned that when I'm at good restaurants, there is usually a better option, or at least an option that I can't replicate as well at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh's Burner Phone View Post
    I usually much rather have one I cook myself.
    CORRECT answer. I pick out my own steaks, grill them to perfection (+ must have, thermometer) Usually, entails a bourbon (beer in the summer) while I'm grillen .. + a nice red wine when everything is ready. Nothing better!

My form of relaxation and 'why' I grill out all year long. Way cheaper too.
    Robbie Faulk .. To your point, I think MSU will have 49 scholarship players from Mississippi on next year's roster and Ole Miss will have 19. So much for 'Mississippi Made.'

Anthonyís is my favorite restaurant I have EVER been to.

Old hickory does a damn good steak

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

The Gristle Pit can be hit or miss. It's burnt down and changed hands so many times, you simply never know what your getting. With that being said, I haven't been in 5 or 6 years.

Waffle House steak & eggs with a large bowl of cheese grits & a triple order of SSCCTD&P hash browns at 4 AM on Sunday morning of SBW.

You can’t get good steak in Starkville worth forking out for....except at Kroger (they have USDA prime choice cuts). Cook it yourself.
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst

Only place I will get steak in GTR area

The Golden Horn out near the airport. They have an inside charcoal grill they use to cook their steaks and you can watch them if you like. A buddy of mine got the best steak I've ever tried there. They called it the black & blue. It was a T-bone steak with blue cheese on top and it was cooked perfect (he was bragging about how good it was and cut me a small piece to try and he was right). I haven't been there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MaroonBelle View Post
    The best steak in the Starkville AREA is in West Point at Anthony's. I have never had a steak in the city of Starkville that can compare.
    Edited my original post to be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by GTAdawg View Post
    You canít get good steak in Starkville worth forking out for....except at Kroger (they have USDA prime choice cuts). Cook it yourself.
    Edited my original post to be more specific.

For what you are looking for with family tonight, you can't beat the veranda. Plenty of options that are reasonably priced. In starkville. Family friendly but you can drink and have fun. Steak options are pretty good.

Is Cappeís still open?

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_34 View Post
    Old hickory does a damn good steak
    I was wondering if this would be mentioned. I haven't been there in 20 years, but that was the place my dad wanted to go when I was at State and the parents came to visit. My great uncle was a State Rep and he and some fellow Reps would drive to Columbus once a month just to eat there.

Never heard of it. It still open?

Quote Originally Posted by Faustdog View Post
    Is Cappeís still open?
    Yeah, but you arenít getting a steak there thats any better than half a dozen or so other places in town (Veranda, Harveyís, Central Station Grill, etc.). Restaurant Tyler may have a decent steak, but Iím not sure and their menu changes up somewhat frequently. All of the others above are extremely average at best.

Simply put, Starkville is straight up garbage when it comes to getting a decent restaurant steak. No other way to put it.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Starkville area, Anthony's in West Point, order it with the crawfish sauce.

Starkville, The Veranda. That's where the flavor is!

Really Annoying
    The Best Steak is at Anthony’s in West Point. I’ve been all over the State and had them. It’s the best to me. The veranda used to be really good to me but the last few meals I’ve had their have been Luke warm and the service has been bad.

I know this is blasphemy but I was in Tupelo last weekend and we decided to try the new Texas Roadhouse, best Ribeye I have ever had in the city of Tupelo hands down. It was probably in the top 10 ever and I have eaten a lot of steaks in a lot of places. The next one may be crap. I usually don't order steaks at a chain but that one was cooked perfect, tender, juicy, and seasoned great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    I know this is blasphemy but I was in Tupelo last weekend and we decided to try the new Texas Roadhouse, best Ribeye I have ever had in the city of Tupelo hands down. It was probably in the top 10 ever and I have eaten a lot of steaks in a lot of places. The next one may be crap. I usually don't order steaks at a chain but that one was cooked perfect, tender, juicy, and seasoned great.
    Longhorn makes a damn good steak too, and its pretty good every time. Definitely not the best Iíve had or anything like that, but you canít beat the price-to-taste ratio.

How so few of you are mentioning the best steak restaurant in the golden triangle, Old Hickory in Columbus, is beyond me.

That place has like 10 total menu items, all of which are steak, with the only sides being baked potatoes and a side salad. Also, you can see them grilling the steaks at the front of the restaurant, so you know they're doing it right.

Please stop with all the Anthony's love, it's hard enough to get a table as it

is.*
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

http://golden-horn-steak-and-seafood-restaurant.business.site/

Never heard of it. It still open?
    There is a phone number on their site as well. Best steak in GTR area hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Law Dawg View Post
    How so few of you are mentioning the best steak restaurant in the golden triangle, Old Hickory in Columbus, is beyond me.

That place has like 10 total menu items, all of which are steak, with the only sides being baked potatoes and a side salad. Also, you can see them grilling the steaks at the front of the restaurant, so you know they're doing it right.
    I have eaten there often and it is a good steak but I have yet to have a great steak there. The steaks that I have had there are just larger versions of the steak you can get at any one of the 150 steak and fish houses in this area.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Anthony's and Old Hickory are cheap steak houses if that is what you are looking for. Atmosphere in Anthony's is far superior to Old Hickory as is the service. I have never been impressed by either concerning their food though.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I have eaten there often and it is a good steak but I have yet to have a great steak there. The steaks that I have had there are just larger versions of the steak you can get at any one of the 150 steak and fish houses in this area.
    I agree and the service and atmosphere are terrible. If you like eating off paper plates and having your food thrown at you go to this restaurant. Rueben's Fish and steak house is better IMHO but better atmosphere on the river.

You think that is blasphemy. I quit grilling steaks a few years ago. A friend turned me on to the cast iron skillet method. Way better than I could ever get on the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Law Dawg View Post

I don't mention it because the two times I have been there the steak was thin and overcooked, the salad and service was basic and subpar, and you get a slice of texas toast. Oh, and canned beer at $2.50 a pop. For a couple bucks more I can go to Anthony's, have fresh baked bread, exceptional house made dressings on a lovely salad, bring my own bottle of red wine, and it's a far superior environment. And I can have my choice of sides including fresh vegetables or garlic mashed potatoes. So I haven't been back and won't recommend.

Since you asked about the best steak in Starkville, not the GT or your backyard grill, I'll try to answer you.

You can get a good one at Tyler and the Veranda although neither is overly consistent. They both have reasonably good atmospheres for a family night out. You probably won't be disappointed. There are one or two new, well regarded places I haven't been to so maybe others can weigh in on those.

Further throwaway thoughts, unless something has changed, the Golden Horn is probably the best steak in the GT, but I never enjoyed the atmosphere much. Anthony's is my favorite restaurant for an all around good experience. Nothing wrong with Old Hickory's steaks, but I'm just not going to spend money for that experience over the other options.
    Last edited by She Mate Me; 03-21-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Farmhouse Market in West Point by the high school has some high quality meat if you want to cook yourself. They had some Wagyu strips last week. Also have some dry aged Ribeyes sometimes.

Never had a bad steak at Texas Roadhouse....order the Ft. Worth 12 oz. ribeye...forget the toppings

Quote Originally Posted by Deen View Post
    Farmhouse Market in West Point by the high school has some high quality meat if you want to cook yourself. They had some Wagyu strips last week. Also have some dry aged Ribeyes sometimes.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check this place out.

That is the only way I do them anymore. It is the best way to get the most consistent outcome and easiest to make adjustments without hurting flavor. I have even done medium well steaks like this that are still good. My wife won't even order steaks at restaurants anymore because she said it is never better than what I do at the house.