From Reddit: I Wish We'd Bring This Back

I really want to hear what it would sound like and plus it can't hurt for us to have another tradition:
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  248.8 KB

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Boo Dan | Boudin Yes | No

Never heard or knew about this....

Like you, would like to hear what it sounds like. cant be worse than “Madelinnnnnnnnnnnnnne”

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

From the University archives...

The very last paragraph of the article explains this tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post

Just learned that the MSU fight song was written by Mutt Peavey, the father of Hartley Peavey (Peavey Speakers). Archives mention that Mutt owned the music store in Meridian.

From archives, here’s a link to the tune

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post

https://youtu.be/VpkA0Vec_eA

thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Humphrey View Post
    https://youtu.be/VpkA0Vec_eA

thanks for posting
    The tune in that recording (Washington and Lee Swing) is not even close to what's on the sheet music above. I'll play it tomorrow and make a recording.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    I'll play it tomorrow and make a recording.
    Please do. The archive article said the music was the same as 'Hail State' but it doesn't fit from what I can read music.

The symphonic band plays it at the end of the student conductor concert to wrap up the spring semester. But as for the marching band playing it or a public performance, I doubt that happens anytime soon.

Why’s that?

Wow. Surprised this was posted on reddit. I actually do enjoy this song and would love for it to be more public than it currently is. I think the major issue is "traidition" and the fact that it is very similar to our current fight song. Just much longer. Think of this as a longer alternate version of the fight song.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    The very beginning is the same as Hail State. I texted it to a friend that was in the band several years ago. He said he had never seen or played it.

Here’s a Facebook video link where they played it 2017

https://www.facebook.com/famousmaroo...4369685545825/

Can we replace Madelon with this for the love of god?

I dont get it. The description in the facebook post says its basically just Hail State. And the song played there is basically Hail state

The directors have just never looked to doing it, but I’d image a big part of that is that it’s essentially a long version of Hail State. Madelon isn’t going anywhere because it’s been a part of pregame for decades, and it’s more fitting for an “marching” performance.

The intro is a quote from Hail State. The main song is different. Stand by.

Didn't realize a recording was already posted. That saves me the effort.

The recording of the Famous Maroon Band's performance is not just "Hail State." The introduction uses a quote of basically 8 bars of Hail State, but when you get to the next strain it is a different tune for 16 bars. They play "Men of State" shown above, then go into an elaborate march arrangement of Hail State.

"Men of State" finishes on a Bb7 and should move forward into something in Eb but doesn't; it's almost like it is intended to be an introductory verse to Hail State.

Madelon is an old WW1 song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-_WMbuPp0

For those interested in this sort of thing, here's an arrangement of the pregame MSU Fanfare and Hail State that I put together a couple of years ago: https://goo.gl/8ay8De

I like the lyrics:

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I don't get the hate for Madelon. It's played once in the band pregame show. It's a throwback to our school's military history. And it feels like a song you should be singing while swinging a pitcher of beer in your hand.

I would love to hear the brass parts from this used in current form of “Hail State”.

I think its the fact that its been played "once in the pregame show" , the SAME pregame show that hasn't changed for years that attracts the haters. That and the way the announcer says "Madeliiiiiine" every time, for years.
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    Madelon is an old WW1 song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-_WMbuPp0
    I also don't get the "Madelon" hate; Listening to that makes me like it even more.