Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Here it is in all it's glory, ball badly underthrown, I hated that prick.

I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

We Donít Take No Shit | Loud Mouth 17in AD Yes | No

The wind kick game was brutal. First, I had witnessed the rip off the year before that saw Forecade prance around in victory that was absolutely stolen from us.

The Cosby kick itself was just another Egg Bowl in which we absolutely were the more dominant team. The fact that the game was close was typical MSU. Even though we dominated the game, we gave up a punt TD going into the half, and if I recall we fumbled 3 or 4 times.

In the lead up to the kick - we finally looked like we were going to overcome our mistakes and we methodically moved it down the field with our powerful wish bone as we'd done alll day... without fumbling.

With time running out, we send our sure footed kicker to clinch the deal. You know the rest.

My girlfriend's brother played at umiss (hated forecade), and they were obnoxious type rebel diehards. When the crowd yelling shifted from us to them..... she started waving that rebel flag in my face. I snapped that thing and probably came as close to domestic abuse as ever. Not sure how we ended up dating for so much longer after than.

After those years, to regularly beat them under Jackie was seemingly a miracle. I honestly think that is why JWS is so endearing to many of us.

Me too. This team makes one start early I guess. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I was a student for the 2002-2006 seasons and didn't drink before, during or after a single game. Went to them all.
    Well, I was the idiot next to you during all of the events in this timeframe...shit housed.....No other way my eyes could take it.

The 3-2 game was bad. Maine was terrible but the game that gets me is the Snow Game vs UK when they won via out of bounds tip in. This wasn’t the DeMarcus Cousins one. The original....I think they had a fella named Morris that tipped it in.

In that moment, the sickening feeling of being a true dawg fan, came to be.
    Last edited by Lettuce; 07-11-2018 at 02:44 PM.

My team went 4-32 from 2012-2014

This occurred after going 12-2 in 2011. In the process, we were also left behind in C-USA 3.0 by our longtime conference mates who fled to the AAC.

Iím so tough - I was a freshman walk-on football player in 1988. That year we went 1-10 (Tech and 10). I was running scout team with Sleepy, Kenny Roberts, John James and many others who became playmakers. Being the worst players on the SECís worst team made us tough and prepared us for winning later. Our next four years yielded 24 wins. Not great, but a step up from what we came into.

Yikes. Came at the worst possible time for you too. If the AAC had formed when you were still near the top of CUSA most every year, they might have taken you to gain some credibility even with the small market.

Quote Originally Posted by OneParticularHarbor View Post
    This occurred after going 12-2 in 2011. In the process, we were also left behind in C-USA 3.0 by our longtime conference mates who fled to the AAC.
    I have much empathy (and respect) for Southern Miss. Since integration, you have the only football program that consistently did what it had to do to stay competitive. Then the Metro did not happen, and MSU and Ole Miss rode the wave of the SEC into the sunset. Before that, USM was every bit the program as the others, maybe moreso. MSU and Ole Miss I guess always had slightly more support and made the great decision to enter the SEC way back in the day. That is life I suppose.

There are so many things that should have been done differently over time in this state. Had MSU and Ole Miss stayed as one U of M institution, they would be a powerhouse. USM likely would have been more competitive and maybe gotten over the hump, and could have been in a major conference. Instead, the state of Mississippi divides and conquers itself in every way possible.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

That's right. Meant to say fumbled kick, not kickoff. Should have said punt.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 07-11-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Oxford. 1992. The stand. That day my hatred for all things Ole Miss grew 10 fold.

I heard Doc Fogelsong's band play and saw some dandelions on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecchio Cane View Post
    I sat through the entire 1991 Liberty Bowl, watching us get physically whipped by Air Force while sleet blew into my face. State's first bowl in over a decade.

The Air Force qb only threw 1 pass and ran for over 300 yards. Michael Davis scored in garbage time to cut it to 16 points
    Was that the game when Sleepy bounced a pitch off of Kenny Williamson's shoulder pads and AF picked it off? The ONLY good thing about that game was the Air Force falcon flying around the stadium while the cowbells were ringing and the free PBMaxx candy bars they were giving away. Man, those things were good and you can't find one anywhere anymore.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Your accounts of yall's road trips were always great. I enjoyed them a lot.

If weíre talking mental toughness, I watched the 3-2 game on the old ESPN Gamecast in a construction trailer in the CA Central Valley...watching the digital ball mostly stay still on the Tecmo Bowl-ish field. Punts were exciting.

I still have wet clothes from the 86 and 88 Egg Bowls. I was not at the 1993 Kentucky game, but to anyone who was, I defer.

Quote Originally Posted by tatedog View Post
    I still have wet clothes from the 86 and 88 Egg Bowls. I was not at the 1993 Kentucky game, but to anyone who was, I defer.
    The wettest game I ever attended was a day game against LSU in red stick, circa 1996. More rain over a 2 hour period than I've ever seen in my life, and I stayed for the whole miserable game.

Yup, that was 96. Meant to go to the game, but woke up at halftime after a night out in NOLA. Glad it worked out that way due to the rain.

Watched us spank Warren Moon and the Huskies ass in Seattle...............
    "You magnificent bastards, I read your book" General Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgstudent View Post
    That Oregon trip. I remember walking up to their stadium and saying damn we have a ton of people here. 50% were gone by halftime.
    I was there too and I remember quite a few state fans leaving from our section after the 3rd quarter. Can't blame them because we were playing like dog crap. At my insistence we stayed the whole game, because I'll be damned to have traveled a 1000 miles to leave early.

Not as wet, but cold, rain, sleet, snow and one 17ing shitfest of a game. 2000 Arkansas game. I sat through the whole damn thing.
    Formally BR549

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    The wettest game I ever attended was a day game against LSU in red stick, circa 1996. More rain over a 2 hour period than I've ever seen in my life, and I stayed for the whole miserable game.
    We outplayed a much better LSU team for most of that game. If I recall correctly, we missed a couple of wide open WR's for touchdowns in that game that lost it for us. I think it was the early JP or Lincoln Financial or whatever it was at the time 1130 AM game. Outside of the 88 Egg Bowl, probably the most standing water I've seen a football game played on.
    Last edited by tatedog; 07-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.

We were waiting to get off the plane in Eugene, and I was standing near Gene

Swindoll so I asked him if he'd heard any news. That's when he told me Fant didn't make the trip. Had my trip ruined before I got off the plane.

I found out later that I knew before Kyle York did. Jackie didn't tell him until they were dressed in the locker room.

If you are a long time State fan and haven't figured out to leave it in the Stadium, seek help.

bama in the 70s in Jackson. Brought 100+, played them all.
    tech and ten for every home game. Tech game. "I'm not leaving, this is the only game we'll win this year".
    Air Force. Our DTs are faster than everybody on their O except the QB, still lose.
    arkansas state tie. "Can only get up for 3 games a year, blah blah blah."
    Bama early 90s. score to go up 10 in 3Q, still lose.
    troy state tornado. "let's watch the OL quit blocking when Dontae comes in after 1Q suspension."
    Maine. After 1Q "I've got a bad feeling about this."
    Tulane. Thanks for the check.
    USA!, USA!

Carl Williamson #27. From Brownsville, TN. Just a bad pitch and a worse catch. Might have heard footsteps

Quote Originally Posted by DISTRICT DOG View Post
    Not sure if this makes me tough or stupid...but my buddy and I sat through the entire 2008 Eggbowl in Oxford. 45-0. Watched every play.
    Sorry for your pain, but I can one up you on that misery: Freezing in the heavy snow in Oxford in '71 losing 48 - 0!!! Girlfriend caught pneumonia that day in those stands.

Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    There for that one and the Snow Bowl. Nearly froze to death at both but at.least we won the Snow Bowl.
    I don't remember that play, but do remember the missed chip shot field goal. The field was a total mess that day. Our tailgate tent had almost completely collapsed due to the sleet/snow that day.

We haven't had any really bad weather days in the past few years, unless you count the heat of early September noon start times.

I was in the band from 2000-2004. Not only was I at the Memphis game in 2000, in full uniform, I was at the South Carolina game that year, Arkansas in the sleet, and then the snow bowl. A lot to take in as a freshman. I went to Florida the next year, I was at the Troy tornado game, The Maine game as well as numerous other skull draggings. And I was sober, and in a uniform, and could not leave early.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    I was at the Maine game and 3-2, sober as a bird.
    Me too. As a guest in a box up top on the East side. One of the last games I went to in the Croom era.

I felt bad for the folks hosting me.

Quote Originally Posted by LandArchDawg View Post
    I was at that one and the 2001 Troy tornado evacuation game we lost.
    Me too. On the cell phone with my wife bitching because there was a tornado warning and I wasn't home to protect her and the kids. Like that would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Dawg View Post
    Hey Nugget, are you counting the "home" games LT sold to Florida? I was at one of our home games in Tampa.
    17 LT... I'm so glad we are light years away from that kind of administration.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStateUofMS View Post
    Auburn 3-2 was pretty bad. LSU 45-0 to open the season on a Thursday night hammered drunk and full of misguided optimism was pretty tough in 2007 I think it was.

ETA: Honorable mention the 3 OT basketball game at the Hump vs LSU around 2009 or 2010. They had Tasmin Mitchell. I think both teams had a few players foul out. We lost of course and the fans "had it."
    Wasn't that the game where a story broke after the game that our QB Fant threw himself off the top of the stadium but LSU intercepted him before he hit the ground?

I spent 7 hours one night in 2001 climbing up the crane that was constructing the East Side upper deck to hang a giant ďGo to Hell Ole MissĒ banner.

In reality this was not me. But whoever really did do it would win this here contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    In the freezing cold and sleet. To watch us lose at the end. Brutal.
    And then I walked to the Hump for an exhibition basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Ya bunch of woosies .. I attended EVERY home game during the Charley Shira epic.

'66 State went 2-8 with wins over Richmond and USM .. '67 State went 1-9 with a win over Tx Tech .. '68 went 0-8-2 tied Tx Tech & OM .. '69 3-7 with wins over Richmond, USM & Tx Tech. Finally, finally .. MSU had a 'winning' season .. '70 State went 6-5 with wins over Ok St, Vandy (FIRST SEC win in OVER 5 years), GA, Tx Tech, USM, and OM (FIRST win over OM in 6 years, 2ND WIN in 24 years) .. '71 State went 2-9 with wins over Florida nd Lamar. Unbelievably, even AFTER a 2-9 season and consistently coaching losing football, Shira was retained for a final '74 4-7 season.

Consider .. During the 1967 season, MSU scored 49 points. Yes, that's 49 points in an ENTIRE 10 game season. In his tenure at MSU, Don Mullet's teams scored 49 points or more ~20 times and some of those wins were over teams like .. Ky, Ark, Michigan and Ole Miss.

ps .. thank you Texas Tech!
    Ha , I was right there with you. About 100 degrees opening game against La Tech and watched Terry Bradshaw destroy us. Drunk-sun-burned and had the $hit beat out of football team is no way to go through college.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO2044 View Post
    Maine, 3-2, and LSU beat us 45-0 on my 21st birthday (which actually wasnít that bad because LSU fans kept buying me drinks, and I forgot a great deal).

3-2 was worse to me than Maine.

sorry-74-0 ass whipping by Houston-was far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by OutaStatePlates View Post
    I watched us score a total of 20 points against Georgia. IN BASKETBALL.

1982. Coach Bob Boyd vs a Dominique Wilkins led UGA. Almost no one at the Hump that night. Literally almost no one, due to ice and sleet conditions on the streets. Roads were being closed due to weather. I walked over from Evans Dormitory. Final score was a 26-20 loss. We played a Four Corners stall the entire game to keep the ball out of Dominique's hands. . The NCAA invoked the shot clock a year or so later.
    I was there--by stalling we did have a chance to win. good move by Bob Boyd.

who was there when Memphis State beat their first SEC team and it was Us--they tried to tear down the goal post at Scott Field and a huge brawl occurred. Like maybe 65'.