OT: Lawn dawgs, whats the new MSMA?

Yard has been neglected and taken over by all kinds of clover, johnson grass...pretty much everything. It was once a nice yard full of Bermuda grass. Theres still a bunch of Bermuda running thru the yard.

My dad still brags about the old days when they had Red Panther Juice and MSMA.

Whats the best option here? And would you over-seed with more Bermuda? Its a small yard.

We Donít Take No Shit | Loud Mouth 17in AD Yes | No

You can still get MSMA at the co op I believe. In a 2.5 or 5 gallon jug. Should be a lifetime supply for a small yard

seconded. MSMA is still available and hard to beat.

Get a weed and crabgrass killer with quinclorac. It ain't MSMA but it worked in my yard.

Agreed with above. Most Co-ops do carry MSMA called Target 6 Plus. I bought a 2.5 gallon from Canton MS Co-op this year. Plenty to share with neighbors. Not sure exactly but seems like it was around $80..

Didn't know people still had it.

Anytime is a good time to spray?

Would you throw more seed out at the end of the summer?

thanks for the info

MSMA works best at or above 90*. MSMA won't kill broadleaf weeds but you can add about 1 oz per gallon of 2-4-D to the mix. I just ordered a bottle of Celsius, it's supposed to kill both grassy and broadleaf weeds

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I saw a pallet of MSMA at Scruggs Farm Supply in Tupelo on Saturday. I'm sure you could contact them about sales and shipping.
    Here's their website: Mash Here

What amount per gallon would yíall recommend per gallon for a pump up sprayer to spot spray weeds?

Bought mine there too. Use it a lot. Still have 60% of it after 3 years.

The only problem is the new MSMA does not have a residential turf section on the label, so use in those areas is not permitted.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    Thatís correct but thereís nothing diffferent about it than before, they just took the turf label away. I canít believe they are letting anyone buy it no questions asked.

If you have sensitive plants like roses or tomatoes be careful with 2,4D because it will kill them and itís pretty volitale and will form a vapor in the air. You can buy in most stores Image which is imazaquin and it will kill most broadleafs as well. MSMA will also smoke a full grown tomato plant.

2oz per gallon in a pump up sprayer.

Quick question: ďnot permittedĒ by whom?

Your friends at the EPA.

Quote Originally Posted by katfsh View Post
    What amount per gallon would yíall recommend per gallon for a pump up sprayer to spot spray weeds?
    Have 15 gallon sprayer (pulled behind mower) and 12 oz per 15 gallons and can spray 1 to 1.5 acres per load.
    Works great at this level. Put soap in mixture as surfactant.

"They" determined arsenic in organic form isn't as toxic as once thought.

Iíve used this stuff as an MSMA replacement too. Think it was called Weed Out with Q. Guy at the garden place told me it wouldnít be quite as good at getting rid of crabgrass as MSMA, but that it would prob be the best substitute if/when all the MSMA is gone. Itís been years since I used it, but I remember thinking the garden place guy was right - MSMA would kill crabgrass graveyard dead with one spray, but this Q stuff took maybe 2-3 applications. Still worked though.

Good advice here.
    MSMA on crabgrass.
    24D if it has a leaf in it.
    Image for nutgrass.

These are all contact killers. To really get rid of the weeds, you need to hit it in spring with pre-emerge. Those chemicals are different, but thatís the best way. Then, you will be just spot-spraying through summer when a weed pops up here and there.
    Last edited by RutherfordBHayes; 07-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.

One of my neighbors, who apparently isn't a lawn aficionado, let his hybrid Bermuda get too tall before he cut it, then whacked it down. This was just a few days ago. Now it's all yellow, with what appears to be wild onions growing out of it. He may have done the next to impossible ... killed Bermudagrass in the full sun.

My lawn guy apparently knows what he's doing. I don't have a sprig of crabgrass or any other weed in my Zorro Zoysia. He sometimes mentions using "3-way" but I don't know if that's a brand, a generic type, or just that he's using three different chemicals.

Is Image a permanent solution for nutgrass?

ooooo kay. .................................................. ............................

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 701
Size:  2.87 MB

Pre-emergents such as prodiamine are God's gift to bermuda lawns. Hit it in the fall and spring (early Feb) and your yard will look a lot better. Keeps the unwanted seeds from germinating in the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by RightOfCenter View Post
    Is Image a permanent solution for nutgrass?
    Dont think so. I spot spray every year, but itís coming off the neighboring property.

I'd like to know as well. And is there a generic variant?
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

ďIt is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

DCD, the EPA or state affiliate does do routine spot checks on the use of this and other products.

The active ingredient in Image is imazaquin so I’m sure there’s generic. For ag use it’s called Scepter and it’s way cheaper than when it’s labeled as Image and yes Image is death on nut sedge.

you can knock nutsedge back but probably won’t ever permenantly get rid of it.
    Last edited by DesotoCountyDawg; 07-13-2018 at 11:31 AM.

What is the answer for Virginia Buttonweed? I have tried 24d but it just keeps coming back.

You get rid of Virginia buttonweed by moving to another house. The best thing you can do is if you spray some MSMA, mix in a herbicide called Cimarron (a co-op might have it). Virginia buttonweed has a deep root system and thatís why itís so hard to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by NTDawg View Post
    What is the answer for Virginia Buttonweed? I have tried 24d but it just keeps coming back.
    I have had good luck with MSM (not MSMA) in my centipede. The stuff tends to yellow my grass pretty bad, but itís the only thing Iíve found that hurts the buttonweed.

I see. /insert Nicholas Cage gif

ive heard of some doing a double spring application of prodiamine in the sppring like Feb and then again in May.......then another in October. But you are limited by label as to max amount per year. I do have prodiamine and sprayed in March this year. What are the prime months in central MS (8a) to apply it for max effectiveness?

I use prodiamine in the spring and pendimethalin in the fall. The main problems I get are a little nut sedge ( image handles it) and spurge. God I hate spurge. Every summer when it gets hot the little bastards start making random appearances in my yard. One day the yard looks like Augusta National and then bam there are 2 or 3 clumps of spurge. Did I mention I hate spurge?

Thats the stuff I've used the past few years...Can't tell that its killed anything.

What kind of soap?

Dawn? My gallon of surfactant is a bit low.
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

Buttonweed is bad stuff. covered in seeds root to leaf. Has been laughing at me and my attempts to battle with 4 oz/gal MSMA this summer and last. Will have to try with Cimarron soon.
    the other weed I had looked like centipede and ran. msma wouldn't touch it so upped our game to the small area and took out with glyphosate. the bermuda will cover by end of summer.

I have a mixture of Bermuda and centipede, what can I use?

Quote Originally Posted by karlchilders View Post
    Dawn? My gallon of surfactant is a bit low.
    Dawn.

But really any liquid dish washing detergent and like mixing a drink...what ever feels right.