Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawgFan86 View Post
    Ha I would have gladly put money on him not winning the PGA. Anyone want to bet on him not winning the Masters next year? Put your money where your mouth is.
    Iíll take Tiger to win the Masters for $100 for whatever the final posted odds are (currently 12:1). Being the reputable bookmaker that you are, Iím sure you will gladly pay out accordingly if he wins.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    17n Piece of Shit | Rob Skelton Yes | No

I think the most important thing about yesterday was to just make sure we soaked it up. I think he's still got a major or 2 left in him. Maybe 3-4 more good years. But eventually that back is going to go. But by his mid to late 40's with that injury the sun will be setting on him. But days like yesterday are what will live in us as fans forever. You hear older folks talk about what it was like the day they got to watch Mickey, Mays or DiMaggio. The same way it was to see Jordan do the shoulder shrug vs Portland in the finals. Yesterday was that day for us. After him there will still be great golfers. But they're not in all likelihood going to be "special". The man shot a 64 yesterday on the final day of a major, his lowest final round score in the history of his majors. After everyone had left him for dead. The lowest runner up score in the history of major golf history. And he shot that 64 from the effin GALLERY. Let that sink in. Greats come and go. But special is what we'll never forget.

The Babe said it best, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die."

Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Just imagine if Tiger had been using Taylormade clubs instead of Nike all these years.

Very impressive weekend by Tiger. He would have won if had shot better on his Thursday opening round.
    He won with mizuno. He won with titleist. He won with Nike.

His irons have been ground to fit his eye and at setup have been eerily similar thru the years, regardless of brand.

Your newest dead horse is already dead from overbeating.

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post
    I think the most important thing about yesterday was to just make sure we soaked it up. I think he's still got a major or 2 left in him. Maybe 3-4 more good years. But eventually that back is going to go. But by his mid to late 40's with that injury the sun will be setting on him. But days like yesterday are what will live in us as fans forever. You hear older folks talk about what it was like the day they got to watch Mickey, Mays or DiMaggio. The same way it was to see Jordan do the shoulder shrug vs Portland in the finals. Yesterday was that day for us. After him there will still be great golfers. But they're not in all likelihood going to be "special". The man shot a 64 yesterday on the final day of a major, his lowest final round score in the history of his majors. After everyone had left him for dead. The lowest runner up score in the history of major golf history. And he shot that 64 from the effin GALLERY. Let that sink in. Greats come and go. But special is what we'll never forget.

The Babe said it best, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die."
    The most important thing about yesterday is that Tiger now thinks he can win and moving closer to the point that he KNOWS he can win again.

That's a long way from a year ago when he wasn't sure he would play competitively again.

All very true. He wasn't celebrating 2nd place with that vivacious fist pump on 18 after that putt. He was celebrating because he knew he was back. But, I thought I had a really well worded post on what that meant for us, just to toot my own horn, lol.

BTW, what about those Cardinals, seems Schildt was the man for the job. Wasn't my first choice but you can't argue with success.

All very true. He wasn't celebrating 2nd place with that vivacious fist pump on 18 after that putt. He was celebrating because he knew he was back. But, I thought I had a really well worded post on what that meant for us, just to toot my own horn, lol.

BTW, what about those Cardinals, seems Schildt was the man for the job. Wasn't my first choice but you can't argue with success.
    Itís nice when you have a six game stretch against the Marlins and Royals. They are so far away from contending Iím only mildly interested. As a matter of fact, when you compare the talent with the really good teams, itís kind of depressing.

They have a lot of young guys getting outs but it wonít be that easy once the scouting reports are in.

Without a doubt. I don't particularly care for him as a person, but love to watch him play.

I don't think I'd want to hug Tiger ... or any of the rest of them.

Please, they've won 5 straight series since the change. Including the Cubs and Pirates. A win tonight and they could be a game and a half out of the wild card. You're still as crusty as a 98 yr old woman's draw's. Yea it may get a little tougher on the young pitchers but it's not like they're scrubs, they are some of the top pitching prospects in the game, untouchables at the trade deadline. They could go on a run and win the central and you'd find a reason to bitch about it. Ain't it about time you went and got off on a UK board?

Please, they've won 5 straight series since the change. Including the Cubs and Pirates. A win tonight and they could be a game and a half out of the wild card. You're still as crusty as a 98 yr old woman's draw's. Yea it may get a little tougher on the young pitchers but it's not like they're scrubs, they are some of the top pitching prospects in the game, untouchables at the trade deadline. They could go on a run and win the central and you'd find a reason to bitch about it. Ain't it about time you went and got off on a UK board?
    Some guy named Miles Mikolas is the ace of the staff. Let that sink in.

Not like it's a small sample size. He walks no one and keeps the team in games. He was an all star and Cubs and Brewers wanted him just as bad as us. But yea he's no Yu Darvish***. In 2006 we won the whole shebang with a record of 83-78. Let that sink in, it's baseball, anything can happen. Enjoy the young players while they're winning. Had you rather sit around and watch a bunch of big names players lose with an overpaid ace. Get over yourself. Fair weather fan's like you suck

Not like it's a small sample size. He walks no one and keeps the team in games. He was an all star and Cubs and Brewers wanted him just as bad as us. But yea he's no Yu Darvish***. In 2006 we won the whole shebang with a record of 83-78. Let that sink in, it's baseball, anything can happen. Enjoy the young players while they're winning. Had you rather sit around and watch a bunch of big names players lose with an overpaid ace. Get over yourself. Fair weather fan's like you suck
    Look. If you want to be a homer, knock yourself out. It takes all kinds.

Walkoff homer, 10 out of 12. Yea, some of us enjoy sports instead of being a sourpuss.

Walkoff homer, 10 out of 12. Yea, some of us enjoy sports instead of being a sourpuss.
    Thatís great. Whatever makes you giddy I guess.

If they make the World Series Iíll haul my fair weather ass over to St Louis for a game or two but Iím not going to hold my breath.

By the way, for some reason youíve spent an unusual amount of time trying to change my mind on the Cardinals in a thread about golf. Iíve been following them long enough that Iím going to draw my own conclusions and not rely on some random, silly-ass homer on the internet.

Brandel Chamblee provided an interesting point on ESPN this morning: At the end of 1997, Tiger re-worked his swing and it took almost 2 years for him to get everything worked out. In 1999, he had a 3rd place finish in the US Open, then a 7th at the British, and then he knew he had everything dialed in and won 5 of the next 6 majors. He has taken a couple of years to get his latest swing dialed in, and he just had a 6th place finish followed by a 2nd place (and an enthusiastic fist pump on that final birdie). Look for him to tear it up at the Ryder Cup, and be a real force in the Majors next year.
    Last edited by Dawgzilla; 08-14-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: I had my major wins mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgzilla View Post
    Brandel Chamblee provided an interesting point on ESPN this morning: At the end of 1997, Tiger re-worked his swing and it took almost 2 years for him to get everything worked out. In 1999, he had a 3rd place finish in the US Open, then a 7th at the British, and then he knew he had everything dialed in and won the next 4 majors. He has taken a couple of years to get his latest swing dialed in, and he just had a 6th place finish followed by a 2nd place (and an enthusiastic fist pump on that final birdie). Look for him to tear it up at the Ryder Cup, and be a real force in the Majors next year.
    This provides no hope for the average golfer. If it took Tiger 2 years to learn to play with a new swing, and he's elite, and he plays all the time, my game is hopeless.

The club pro where I used to play gave me these salient instructions upon seeing my swing: "Take two weeks off ..... then quit."

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I know my ass would be at the JCC to watch him. Would be my first ever Sanderson.

That last fist pump said exactly that. He said I just shot a 64 from the 17n gallery. Shit fixing to get real.

On the bright side, you would probably be happy with the kind of game Tiger had while he was still trying to figure things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgzilla View Post
    Brandel Chamblee provided an interesting point on ESPN this morning: At the end of 1997, Tiger re-worked his swing and it took almost 2 years for him to get everything worked out. In 1999, he had a 3rd place finish in the US Open, then a 7th at the British, and then he knew he had everything dialed in and won 5 of the next 6 majors. He has taken a couple of years to get his latest swing dialed in, and he just had a 6th place finish followed by a 2nd place (and an enthusiastic fist pump on that final birdie). Look for him to tear it up at the Ryder Cup, and be a real force in the Majors next year.
    They may have reconciled, but Brandel and Tiger don't exactly love each other, so (my opinion) it's actually a big deal for him to acknowledge Tiger. And I agree w/ Brandel. I certainly get why people don't like Tiger - aside from his fall from grace, he get pissed, has thrown clubs, all that stuff. But he draws crowds - big crowds - on TV and in person. And even though I get why folks don't like him, I'm not one of those. I love watching him, and wish him success in the continued redemption saga (both personal and professional).

On a side note, I spoke w/ Brandel at TPC Sawgrass about 5 years and he was a GREAT guy to talk about golf with. Really, really great guy. We hung out 15-20 minutes.
    On another side note - a friend of mine works for Nike in the golf-division and told me the number of private-jet rentals for the Masters in 2018 was 10X each of the previous 5 years. The difference? TIger didn't play the previous 5 years. The exact # escapes me, but it was something substantial.
    So yeah, I'm pretty much an expert on 2 data-points.

I agree, Brandel has always been highly critical of Tiger. These days he says that Tiger has the best swing on Tour, if he could just get his height right on drives. But he also says that Tiger may be the biggest waste of golf talent of all time. You have to think about that claim a little; he is basically saying Tiger could have obliterated the golf record books if not for all the time he spent overcoming personal and physical problems and re-working his own swing.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Just imagine if Tiger had been using Taylormade clubs instead of Nike all these years.
    Had to rib yah, fish. But let the record show that the Taylormade M4 driver he is swinging sure as hell ain’t helping his driving ability right now.
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst

That last fist pump said exactly that. He said I just shot a 64 from the 17n gallery. Shit fixing to get real.
    What's crazy is he coulda shot a 61 or 60 with only hitting 5 fairways. He had the put that stopped one rotation from going in, he should of made a close put on #1 for birdie, he almost aced #3 and he had a chip almost drop too. Tiger had a legendary round on Sunday. The announcers kept saying his front nine was the best 9 they had ever seen from anyone considering he couldn't sniff a fairway.

So how does Tiger's current competition stack up against his competition in the early 2000's ?

I think in the early aughts if Tiger showed up with B game there were 5-6 golfers that could beat him, Els, Vijay, Duval, Sergio, maybe Phil and a few others that slip my mind. Today there's probably 15-20 that could beat Tigers B game. But back then if Tiger was on his game it took something special to eclipse him. There is probably 10-12 golfers out there now that if they've got it all working and Tiger has it all working then he's beatable, still takes something special but there's a lot more special out there right now, they just haven't matched Tigers consistency yet. Koepka may be that guy that does it. If Rory, DJ, or Spieth had BK's mindset they could lap the field.