Another OT Cost Savings Plan from 615dawg: Cell Phones

Many of you have PMed me tho thank me for my Cord Cutting thread a few weeks ago. An update of sorts - Hulu Live has now added CBS in Jackson. It apparently happened last week and I discovered it yesterday during football. It would have been nice for them to send an announcement, but other than that I have no complaints.

So now Hulu Jackson gets all ESPNs/SEC Network/College Sports Channels, all locals and HGTV.

Turning our attention to something else many of us pay too much for. Our cell phone plans. My AT&T plan was $190 with tax for two iPhones. I started looking into adding a phone for my oldest and we were going to be north of $230 every month. I thought that there had to be a better way. And turns out there is, although its a bit outside the box.

I know, I know - what the hell is Cricket Wireless. Well, I'll tell you. Its AT&T. If you can get AT&T service, you can get Cricket service. Its the same exact service!!!! Why would you switch?

Unlimited everything (text, calls, data)
    $40 for one line
    $70 for two lines
    $90 for three lines
    $100 for four lines
    $125 for five lines

Tax inclusive. That's what you pay. What you don't pay for is Lily. I love Lily from the AT&T commercials, but I don't like paying twice as much for the same exact service.

There has to be a catch right? Well, the catch for me was that I felt like a dumbass for not knowing about this sooner. But the data speeds are capped at 8 MB. That's fast enough for me to watch my Hulu Live video, but if you are into power gaming on your mobile device when its not on WiFi, it may not be for you. But if you just call, text, browse apps and want to watch some videos now and then - you can save some serious coin.

So if you are counting, 615dawg is saving you some serious money.

The average cable bill is $103 - Hulu Live cuts it to $40. That's $63 a month or $756 per year
    The average cell bill for a family of 4 is $210. Cricket cuts it to $100. That's $110 a month or $1320 a year.

Reading this thread just saved you over $2000 a year. Over 30 years with an 8% rate of return, that's $257,843.12 for just reading my two threads.

We Donít Take No Shit | Loud Mouth 17in AD Yes | No

At&t may own Cricket but something is significant different about their coverage. I know this from experience in Texas.

Cricket absolutely will not work for me where I work, but At&t does. If I didn't work in remote places, I would probably make this move also.

I've been using it in Mississippi for three months and have had zero issues. There are no contracts so its simple to change back if it doesnt work for someone. But I was sick of overpaying for crap I barely used and went nuclear on finding ways to save.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I have been on the Cricket bandwagon for 4+ years. AT&T purchased AIO wireless several years ago. I can confirm that if you are on AT&T you will have the exact same Nationwide converage.

I like to buy my own phone (current phone is a OnePlus 5t) so that is why I initially switched.
    I ported all the family over and no one could tell a difference.

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    Does att have priority over Cricket on their towers?

Isnít that what cspire kind of has with Sprint when you leave the state? I heard CSpire used to have really low priority with Sprint but something changed a few months ago with Cspire. I actually have decent data coverage outside the state now.

From what I have gathered it is possible to experience that problem in really large cities. NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston.

But Cspire outside MS, Memphis and Mobile is lowest priority on Verizon network. cricket is Priority 2 on ATT network. I was able to talk text and watch the Kansas State South Dakota Game from my seat at Davis Wade in week 1.

Cricket receives lower priority and download is capped at 8mbs and 4mbs depending on coverage

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    I don't think Cspire uses Verizon anymore. It's Sprint. But like I said - something happened a few months ago where it worked a whole lot better leaving the state. Even driving to Atlanta and Eastern TN this summer - I had decent coverage. I was in Phoenix last week and it worked well.
    I support the two most frustrating teams in America: The New Orleans Saints and The Mississippi State Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by dawgstudent View Post

Isnít that what cspire kind of has with Sprint when you leave the state? I heard CSpire used to have really low priority with Sprint but something changed a few months ago with Cspire. I actually have decent data coverage outside the state now.
    Exactly. All carriers contract out their towers with prepaid partners(internal and external), competitors, and out of state carriers. Priority is given to the captured customer. May not be a big deal in some areas, but good luck catching and holding calls during rush hour in major cities on prepaid.

I used Google Project Fi for about a year and a half and averaged about $26.00 per month and loved it, but my wife made me switch to Verizon because she could never reach me at 5:30 pm when we were figuring out who could pickup the kids. I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call.

I do miss making fun of how much everyone paid for mobile service though...

Total wireless is the same thing with Verizon. I haven't noticed a difference in coverage or speeds. Cut my bill in half.

Hope that's true. CSpire has gone to hell in a handbasket for me outside the state when storm chasing. It was the cause of me driving dead center into a tornado this spring in AL. Not exactly a warm fuzzy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Blldawg87 View Post
    At&t may own Cricket but something is significant different about their coverage. I know this from experience in Texas.

Cricket absolutely will not work for me where I work, but At&t does. If I didn't work in remote places, I would probably make this move also.
    I live in Both Texas and Mississippi and ATT sucks in my neighborhood..but I had cricket before AT&t bought them and the coverage did improve..... I really like it in Mississippi...the hotspot is good enough to stream on the way up from the coast to Starkville and that is about as rural as it gets .....I'll stay on the cricket bandwagon

I feel like with the big boys (I use Verizon) you get better customer support & service. A good number of the guys who work under me use these cheaper (non-contractual) secondary providers & always seem to have issues.

That said, I've never strayed away to try them out myself & I may just be a loyal stooge from whom they sap money.

ETA: My vehicle died on me recently in the middle of traffic. Getting a free tow through my insurance (Progressive) was a, thankfully, simple process on my smart phone in a matter of minutes & I don't even have their app. I doubt I'd get that from "The General."

Not an apples to apples comparison, I know.

I'm regular AT&T and once again in Davis Wade last night I had ZERO data as did my 3 kids. I can get an occasional text to go through after awhile but otherwise its a no for AT&T data on game day. I NEVER have problems otherwise anywhere
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I had no issues with C-Spire at the SFA game. If you can live with sucky data outside their service area, they're still the best bet in Mississippi for coverage and value. And according to dawgstudent, they've gotten better out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    I had no issues with C-Spire at the SFA game. If you can live with sucky data outside their service area, they're still the best bet in Mississippi for coverage and value. And according to dawgstudent, they've gotten better out of state.
    Ceasefire didn't work well last night. I knew when it wouldn't update the ESPN app in the Veranda at 4:00, but it was going to be a long game.

Isn’t that what cspire kind of has with Sprint when you leave the state? I heard CSpire used to have really low priority with Sprint but something changed a few months ago with Cspire. I actually have decent data coverage outside the state now.
    That change happen in August? Can confirm I was in Ohio over July 4th and Ceasefire did not work. Verizon hotspot worked like a charm.

What about the phones for Cricket? Do you have to purchase them or can you take the phone you already have over?

Any thoughts on how Mint Mobile compares to Cricket? Mint uses the T-Mobile network and sends you a SIM card to put in your phone. You have to make sure that your phone is unlocked and compatible with their service. I use an iPhone 8 with Verizon. I verified that my phone is compatible. All I would have to do is have Verizon unlock my phone and have Mint send me a SIM card. I would then activate it by purchasing the service online. I would choose the $25/month unlimited (10GB LTE) plan. That's compared to the $80 unlimited plan I have now with Verizon. I have no complaints about Verizon other than the cost. The big unknown is how good T-Mobile coverage is in your area. I live in Starkville. Anybody use T-Mobile in the Starkville area?

The point I was making is that whether it will work is relative to your situation. I work in the oilfield in South Texas and West Texas.

These places are far more rural / remote that what most people end up in and for me the most reliable service is critical. Cricket doesn't have that there.

It definitely gets more rural than the drive from the coast to Stark!

If I was in a city all the time or even most of the time, I would probably go with Cricket as well.

You can take yours if its compatible with AT&T. They have a page on their website where you can check yours

I need this info too

Your AT&T is really expensive. I have two lines with Verizon (unlimited everything except data, which is 2Gb ... I don't use it) for $80.

I would run out of 2GB of data in about 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    I'm regular AT&T and once again in Davis Wade last night I had ZERO data as did my 3 kids. I can get an occasional text to go through after awhile but otherwise its a no for AT&T data on game day. I NEVER have problems otherwise anywhere
    I have AT&T and have had no issues at either game. I have been surprised how fast DATA has been.

I was talking to my son Friday afternoon and we got to discussing cutting costs. He told me about Crickett and the cost savings. It does look like the way to go.

He also mentioned he changed insurance companies to Gooseneck and his premiums reduced drastically. I googled this but apparently they are not in Mississippi yet but are expanding rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blldawg87 View Post
    The point I was making is that whether it will work is relative to your situation. I work in the oilfield in South Texas and West Texas.

These places are far more rural / remote that what most people end up in and for me the most reliable service is critical. Cricket doesn't have that there.

It definitely gets more rural than the drive from the coast to Stark!

If I was in a city all the time or even most of the time, I would probably go with Cricket as well.

Well I'll I understand and when I'm at my well sites over in Sour Lake, Batson, and Hull, I don't have any coverage either ...I think it's an oil field conspiracy....lol guess you have to bite the bullet and go with Verizon and pay double...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Geech View Post
    Any thoughts on how Mint Mobile compares to Cricket? Mint uses the T-Mobile network and sends you a SIM card to put in your phone. You have to make sure that your phone is unlocked and compatible with their service. I use an iPhone 8 with Verizon. I verified that my phone is compatible. All I would have to do is have Verizon unlock my phone and have Mint send me a SIM card. I would then activate it by purchasing the service online. I would choose the $25/month unlimited (10GB LTE) plan. That's compared to the $80 unlimited plan I have now with Verizon. I have no complaints about Verizon other than the cost. The big unknown is how good T-Mobile coverage is in your area. I live in Starkville. Anybody use T-Mobile in the Starkville area?

My Daughter is in Marketing with T Mobile and they have been targeting 2019 as a year to address Mississippi coverage but for now it stinks .....Metro PCS is the Cricket equivalent for T Mobile if you want to look at them.

I'm still using my Powertel plan. It came with Oregon Trail pre-loaded.

Name:  abc.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  4.1 KB

That's strange, wish I knew the difference. We've got both iPhone and Androids and its regular AT&T, not one of the reseller's. Anybody got a suggestion?

Cricket says speeds are capped at 3mbps on their website. Can anyone comment?

I'm with you - no data in Davis Wade. AT&T with iPhone 8. Even in the 4th quarter when 2/3rd of the stadium was empty I couldn't get anything to pull up. I'm in the lower part of section 6... I'm assuming location matters. Maybe the coverage is better in the higher rows.

I get between 1.25 mbps and 3.75 mbps I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDallas View Post
    I think I must have their ultimate budget plan called unlimited 2. Supposedly capped at 3 Mbps but I sometimes get a little over, sometimes under.

The savings are fierce as I pay $125 flat for 5 lines of unlimited everything. I am the biggest critic in the family wrt data speeds, and they have been tolerable. I can stream Netflix and watch ESPN on the network usually which was my main concern.

However, if you are ever in any high demand areas/situations you can probably count on data not working in my experience. I'm in the Jackson area. Cell and SMS usually hang in there pretty well.

Bottom line, you definitely get a lower quality service but for me it is still a good value because of how low the cost is.

That's not it, I'm in upper level. I even walked up to the top row Sat nt in the 4th quarter and it still sucked. All of our phones are 2 years old or less, I've had mine just a couple months so it should be all new and updated.

My kids average about 30GB a month on data streaming games and Netflix etc. My five phones on AT&T usually eating about 100 GB a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Your AT&T is really expensive. I have two lines with Verizon (unlimited everything except data, which is 2Gb ... I don't use it) for $80.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDallas View Post
    They gave 2 plans. The regular plan that costs more is 8mbps. The lite plan that costs less us 3mbps.