Cornerback Depth

Anyone have an idea which way we will go there? I know Smitherman has looked pretty good, but who is behind him and do you think this is a big concern?

We Donít Take No Shit | Loud Mouth 17in AD Yes | No

A little worried about this myself

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Marcus Murphy has been playing corner right?

Tyler Williams will have to play more, and I bet Rayford gets action at corner again. Could see someone like Landrews or Murphy there, too.

Tyler Williams

No.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Whoever it is needs to not get beat deep. We've been fortunate to not have played a team good enough to torch us regularly because that is far and away our biggest weakness.

As long as they don't get beat deep or allow anything underneath......
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

If peters is out for a long time Smitherman will step in or rayford and Marcus Murphy will get more PT at Safety: we are fine. Injures happen.

Safety help will be key.

Fortunately we have some veterans in Mark McLaurin, Jonathan Abrams, and Brian Cole as safeties + we should get good pass rush from Simmons, Sweat, Rivers, Gerri Green, and company. However the last few games we have been bringing a safety down into the box to get edge pressure...we're probably going to have to give that up and just rely on our front 7 to get pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg@HillsofMS14 View Post
    Anyone have an idea which way we will go there? I know Smitherman has looked pretty good, but who is behind him and do you think this is a big concern?

Ill never understand why coaches play their difference makers when up 3 plus tDís in a game where you know 100% youíre going to win. Jeffery Simmons was in in the 4th quarter. Thatís Fín ridiculous . Peters shouldnít have been in the game when he got hurt. He will be out for the year probably. Poor decision on Moorhead. Love the guy but come on man. When youíre up against a JUCO school pull every single starter. Every. Single. One.

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

We went 4-3 this week against La-La, because Abrams had to sit out 2.5 qtrs.

I do wonder if we will stay with the 4-3 with Peters out or go back to the 4-2-5?

There were times when it looked like La-La confused our 3 LB formation, when we had 10, 40, and 6 lined up out there. Seemed like they got pinched inside when they had to cover the TE or Slot Guy, and they got caught inside on the swing passes to 15 for La-La a couple of times and wound up chasing rather than facing up the ball carrier.

He was questionable evening playing on Saturday. With back to back Sec games why wouldnít you rest him when you can. Hell The reason him and Dantzler were banged up to begin with was from being on the Kick Off team. I donít understand why In the world you would have Starters in on kick off. They both got banged up in the first two games doing that stuff.

I don't have a problem with him playing in the first half. It's unfortunate that he got injured, but it's hard to blame the coaches for playing guys in the first half. The truth is we probably could have won the game without playing any starters, but you have to play guys to give them reps to get better. I agree with not liking playing key guys in the fourth quarter of a blowout though.

Quote Originally Posted by RPOdawg View Post
    Ill never understand why coaches play their difference makers when up 3 plus tDís in a game where you know 100% youíre going to win. Jeffery Simmons was in in the 4th quarter. Thatís Fín ridiculous . Peters shouldnít have been in the game when he got hurt. He will be out for the year probably. Poor decision on Moorhead. Love the guy but come on man. When youíre up against a JUCO school pull every single starter. Every. Single. One.
    And then what happens if that "JUCO school" makes a comeback? Then you have to put all of your starters back in cold or rely on the back ups who aren't getting it done while hurting team and fan morale.

Peters was injured in the second quarter if I'm not mistaken.

I agree he shouldn't have played against UL-L unless he was 100%, but I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt that he was more than healthy enough to play. I also don't like playing starters on special teams in games we should easily win. I realize that in certain games we could lose on a big special teams play, but in certain games we should be able to keep starters off the kickoff team.

I'm fine with allowing the underneath if it prevents the deep homerun. If teams gonna go small yardage against us I think we can live off that.

Because they are teaching. Game reps. Practice is so limited now.

Well there's 3 posters who think they know a lot about the game and yet probably don't.

Bama still has their starters out there late in the 3rd against OM. Nobody ever pulls starters as early as you are suggesting. They stay out there for two very huge reasons that canít be fully replicated in practice: game reps and game conditioning. We are going to need our studs to be used to logging lots of plays when the 4th quarter showdowns come up against LSU, Bama, A&M, etc.

Really Annoying
    Smitherman will start. Tyler Williams and Chris Rayford will back them up. Brian Cole, Landrews, and Marcus Murphy are fast and athletic enough to fill in at corner if any more injuries happen. Itís not ideal but def no reason to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    Bama still has their starters out there late in the 3rd against OM. Nobody ever pulls starters as early as you are suggesting. They stay out there for two very huge reasons that canít be fully replicated in practice: game reps and game conditioning. We are going to need our studs to be used to logging lots of plays when the 4th quarter showdowns come up against LSU, Bama, A&M, etc.
    Exactly. I'm fine leaving our healthy starters out there for three quarters typically in a blow out. And then you take into account that we are learning new schemes on both sides of the ball as well- those reps even though they are in garbage time are valuable like you said.

I guess our fans aren't used to blowing teams out.