MSU Receivers: Drops and Tops

I think that Mitchell drop of a sure TD in the Florida game is going to sting for a long time and, if we end up winning 4 or 5 more games, keeps us out of a New Year's Day Bowl.

What's the worst dropped pass you remember by a Bulldog receiver: For me, Fred Hadley's against Auburn in 86 (though I think we ended up getting blown out in that game).

On a positive note, list your top 5 MSU receivers all time:

1. Eric Moulds
    2. Marty McDole
    3. Danny Knight
    4. Fred Ross
    5. Terrell Grindle

(David Smith and Sammy Milner were before my time)

Boo Dan | Boudin Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy13 View Post
    I think that Mitchell drop of a sure TD in the Florida game is going to sting for a long time and, if we end up winning 4 or 5 more games, keeps us out of a New Year's Day Bowl.

What's the worst dropped pass you remember by a Bulldog receiver: For me, Fred Hadley's against Auburn in 86 (though I think we ended up getting blown out in that game).

On a positive note, list your top 5 MSU receivers all time:

1. Eric Moulds
    2. Marty McDole
    3. Danny Knight
    4. Fred Ross
    5. Terrell Grindle

(David Smith and Sammy Milner were before my time)
    Don't remember who, but we had a long pass dropped vs Auburn in 2010. Receiver was standing waiting on the ball like a punt and it hit hit him right in the chest or stomach. At worst we would have been in FG position and we lost by 3.

Without checking, I think it would have been O'Neil Wilder, track star turned "wide receiver."

Edit: nope, he had graduated by that point.
    Last edited by WutheringDawg; 10-11-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Leon B? Returned kick offs too? Iím drawing a blank at the moment.

Edit
    Leon Berry. He had a crucial drop in that game.

Leon Berry. He was very consistent catching the ball. Except that one time.

So many I have erased them from my limited memory.

Top 5 MSU receivers:Eric Moulds
    Olanda Truitt
    Willie Harris
    Glen Young
    Fred Hadley

1996 vs LSU. Can't remember the receiver's name, but he was WIDE open and

dropped a pass from Taite that hit him dead in the chest. Lost 28-20 but should have won the game. Eric Moulds is the best receiver we've ever had and no one else is close. His circus catch against Alabama in 94 will always be one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen. He jumped so high that his feet looked like they were at the defenders head.

I've only earnestly been following Mississippi State since 2000. So the first decade of my fandom is littered with some real nobodies. (Co-Eric Riley, Mckinley Scott, Aubrey Bell, Tee Milons, Will Prosser) I have so many memories of dragging these guys kicking and screaming to glory in the NCAA video games. But having said that, some of the bigger names that others will list won't show up here just because I might have seen them play, but not during my conscious fandom.

1. Chad Bumphis
    2. Fred Ross
    3. Derunya Wilson
    4. Terrell Grindle
    5. Ray Ray Bivens

Adding second list because you said all time:

1. Moulds
    2. Kelvin Love
    3. Bumphis
    4. Fred Ross
    5. Derunya Wolson
    Last edited by WutheringDawg; 10-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Glenn Young has to be on this list

Not the worst, but one i remember was young man named Will Prosser from Starkville Academy.

The home game against West Virginia was like watching an NFL offensive line bulldoze through a practice squad for 60 minutes. The season seemed to hinge on a potentially athletic passer, a hyped freshman quarterback, who tore an ACL early in the game from running scared like a virgin on prom night.

Late in the 4th, Prosser got free somehow, and the day's only ball thrown beautifully by a maroon clad quarterback hit Will squarely in the breadbasket in stride, and according to script, was dropped. It's amazing how much the an already deflated stadium took a deep breath to erupt from a single spark of hope, and then exhaled, and seemed to say a collective silent "17 IT" after that drop. One of the many Croom moments I have tattooed in my memory.

Ironically, Prosser quickly became somewhat famous for his strange combination of droping well thrown passes, and then crazy circus catches of errant throws no human should make. He was absolutely the best bulldog receiver on EA Sports' NCAA 2006 game. Omar Conner, Titus Brown, Jerious Norwood, and Prosser won untold nattys, which only those who played it knew that teams full potential.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

quickly became somewhat famous for his strange combination of droping[sic] well thrown passes, and then crazy circus catches of errant throws no human should make.
    To me the winner of that illustrious title is Justin Jenkins.

I was going to put Jenkins on my list, but went with Grindle instead.

When they realized he needed glasses he was a lot better. 🤦🏻

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    So many I have erased them from my limited memory.

Top 5 MSU receivers:Eric Moulds
    Olanda Truitt
    Willie Harris
    Glen Young
    Fred Hadley
    Mardye McDole belongs on that list

Twitter
    @SixPackSpeak
    That was Jeremy Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Waves View Post
    dropped a pass from Taite that hit him dead in the chest. Lost 28-20 but should have won the game. Eric Moulds is the best receiver we've ever had and no one else is close. His circus catch against Alabama in 94 will always be one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen. He jumped so high that his feet looked like they were at the defenders head.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    When they realized he needed glasses he was a lot better. 🤦🏻
    Yeah, the poor guy just needed contacts and he was awesome after that. Now that we mention it, eye exams need to be conducted for all our receivers immediately.

It wasn't the easiest catch, but it was very catchable.

https://youtu.be/XdbAdWgWJXw?t=6937

Not a particular pass, but I remember Keon Humphries getting behind the D so many times and then it was like his legs turned to jello when we threw him the ball. He had to of been one of the fastest WRs we've had but couldn't catch. Seems like we moved him to DB and then he transferred.

Since others have mentioned video games - I won a couple of Heismans with Joey Sanders, another one of the famous Croom WRs. I feel bad for those guys sometimes knowing they had to play in that offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Waves View Post
    Yep, unlike RB where we can have some debate, I agree that Eric Moulds is our #1 all-time WR. Only WR I've seen us have that was worth the price of admission just to see him play. After that, its kind of amazing that we probably had better all-time WRs in the days we ran the wishbone (Marty McDole, Glen Young, Danny Knight) than we can seem to recruit today in what should be a much more WR friendly offense.

Quote Originally Posted by kired View Post
    It wasn't the easiest catch, but it was very catchable.

https://youtu.be/XdbAdWgWJXw?t=6937
    That wasnít even the worst drop we had in that game. Broomfieldís drop of a sure pick 6 on a ball thrown right to him by Cam was easily the worst drop in MSU football history. I donít care that he didnít play WR.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by kired View Post
    Not a particular pass, but I remember Keon Humphries getting behind the D so many times and then it was like his legs turned to jello when we threw him the ball. He had to of been one of the fastest WRs we've had but couldn't catch. Seems like we moved him to DB and then he transferred.

Since others have mentioned video games - I won a couple of Heismans with Joey Sanders, another one of the famous Croom WRs. I feel bad for those guys sometimes knowing they had to play in that offense.
    ** Old School Name Alert **

M-fing TRAE RUTLAND hit Neon Keon in the hands in one of those early Croom years, I think to maybe go ahead of South Carolina in 2006, and straight dropped it. Long, beautiful post-corner pattern. Nope, we are Miss Stake
    Last edited by Clarence Boddicker; 10-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.