Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    You think the average city council in Mississippi (or hell, even the ten best city councils in Mississippi) are anywhere close to being able to determine whether subsidizing big box stores compared to local retail provides a positive or negative net return to the city?
    Average ones? Prolly not, but ones in Starkville, Oxford, Cleveland, Hattiesburg, Meridian, Columbus, Coastal Cities, Metro Jackson One's, etc. should be able to.

National retailers have the best information on whether a particular town can support their store, but the town's officials should have the best information on where it should be located; keeping in mind the town's best interest from a big picture development stand point.

We Donít Take No Shit | Loud Mouth 17in AD Yes | No

We would like to thank the City of Starkville for their tax breaks and incentives for Academy Sports to move into Starkville. Thanks for driving out a local MS business.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I guess you missed where they are closing due to their rent going up and them not willing to pay it. Academy has nothing to do with it. And guess you never support those chain businesses like Academy, Walmart, CVS, Kroger, etc. and only shop at local companies.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Junction John View Post
    Most of those people also shop at The WalMarts.
    Walmarks

The problem where i live specifically is that we used to have a Sports Authority. It went out of business when Academy opened up, and it just confused the hell out of folks, especially my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by aTotal360 View Post
    You're doing what a lot of people do. Check it out at in a store and buy it online.
    Actually, I tend to do the opposite. Especially for the type of merchandise that SC sells (hunting stuff). I'd rather "shop" online and go try it out and purchase in the store. That way I can get it quicker and returns aren't as big of a deal in most cases.

You're definitely in the minority.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDawg View Post
    I read today that Sports Center in Starkville is closing. I guess that is the inevitable result of Academy Sports opening in Starkville. It is inherently unfair for the Starkville city leaders to give tax breaks and incentives to large corporations, giving them a huge competitive over a family owned store, and making it virtually impossible for for family owned businesses to survive.
    CoolDawg, welcome to the resistance

I wouldn't doubt it. I tend to be on a lot of things these days.

Not having a Targets cost us Dan Mullen**

Quote Originally Posted by JML105 View Post
    This is true, but it is self perpetuating in many rural regions across the country. Here in Mississippi there are more examples of it happening than not. Cleveland is a perfect example. The city officials there are so insane it's just down right silly. They refuse to let any outsider do business there (Wal-Mart is, but they will always get what they want). There are three "home-town" hardware stores there, but people sneak away to Lowes in Greenville regularly. And guess what, they eat at chain restaurants while they are in town to shop too. Thus creating a better economy and higher population for Greenville instead of Cleveland (what they do with that economy is a different story). Starkville used to be just like Cleveland (forcing people to go to Columbus by comparison), but it has seen the light and is progressing at a healthy pace in my opinion. If you understand city economics, its healthy to have the big guys in town because that brings the traffic and revenue in to support the local merchants. Can't have lions without gazelles and vice versa, so to speak.

As far as SC goes, Academy or high rent didn't put them out of business. Their inability to adapt to the market and economy did. When Academy came to town they should've reevaluated their business plan and provided what Academy doesn't, thus creating their own niche within the sporting merchandise market.
    You can easily replace "Cleveland" with "Grenada" above. No town in America is in more need of a Lowes or Home Depot, there is not a big box hardware retailer between Batesville and Madison. The locally owned hardware store is nice but has very limited hours, it pisses me off to drive an extra hour round trip to Lowes in Batesville when the need arises after 5:00 PM M-F or after noon on Saturdays (also closed Sundays and Holidays).

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh's Burner Phone View Post
    I guess you missed where they are closing due to their rent going up and them not willing to pay it. Academy has nothing to do with it. And guess you never support those chain businesses like Academy, Walmart, CVS, Kroger, etc. and only shop at local companies.
    I guess you missed the part where they said as a family owned company without city tax breaks, it isn't feasible for their doors to remain open. I am a free market person all the way. I think all businesses should be on an equal footing and let the market dictate who succeeds. However, I do not believe that government should help pick the winners and losers by giving tax breaks and incentives to some businesses, but not others. That is not a free market.

1 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    I say it wrong all the time and it drives my family nuts.

In my (our) defense though, the name is stupid. "Sports Academy" sounds like a place. "Academy Sports" sounds like you are talking about events, not a place.
    I disagree. Sports Academy sounds like a school or a training facility. Kirk academy, Marshall academy, ect.

Academy Sports sounds like a store because that's a common way to do it. Put the item you are selling in the end. Joe's used cars, Billy's liquor, Joe's guns, ect

Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    We would like to thank the City of Starkville for their tax breaks and incentives for Academy Sports to move into Starkville. Thanks for driving out a local MS business.
    Can you provide a link to the package that Academy Sports received from the city?

Story I got

last night from an associate, when I went rummaging at SC, was the land lord almost doubled the rent. I said he must have someone else in line, and she said that the word was Ashley Furniture. Side note: Didn't they have a store in Starkville several years ago? I expressed that my biggest disappointment was that Starkville was losing its best hunting gear store and I wish that they would just downsize and keep that side of the business going. After all they have Maroon and Co. for State merchandise. She said that the owners have been discussing that possibility with several investors in Starkville. So stay tuned.

Also, their last day is February 28th. I imagine that the price cuts will continue to get better as that date approaches, but the inventory is already getting pretty picked over. However, if you want a new bow or crossbow, I would hit them up quickly.

Twitter
    @maroonbulldog

Landlord

Iím almost positive the landlord is also a local owner. I know at one point it was locally owned at least. I suspect he/she is trying to get fair market value for rent. It stinks Starkville is losing this business because I for one enjoy shopping there - but I would be willing to bet there is a lot more to it than the landlord being a bad guy. At the end of the day though itís really none of my business I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    If they signed a 10 year lease without a negotiated option after 10 years, thatís on them.

If the landlord thinks his space is worth more than he is getting, he has the right to ask for more money.

"Tuesday Morning" already packed up awhile back and moved down the road, I wonder if their rent was also increased an unreasonable amount?

I went by today. Didn't see signs that said what was discounted by how much other than "up to 25% off storewide".
    Place was a madhouse, though. Folks must have thought they were getting some good deals, anyway.

People in Starkville still call Vowell's Marketplace Piggly Wiggly or Foodmax. There was once a grocery store called Sack and Save and it changed to Winn Dixie and people still called it Sack and Save. Whenever a local business gets a new name, it takes a long time to learn the new name for some residents.

We have a Cash Saver that used to be called Big Star. You can tell who is new from who has lived in Oxford for more than a few years by what they call the place.