Regardless of Bibby's status

Vic made the adjustment that he needed to and played a zone and did a nice job mixing it up. This is a better squad than the last two teams.
    Last edited by ezsoil; 01-17-2019 at 09:16 PM.

2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    Left Field Lofts | Left Field Dumpster Yes | No

Depth

Taylor, AEH Carter, Scott

All of them played great tonight. I actually thought each brought their own level of energy to the floor tonight. They have a great future here. Curious how Promise Taylor is progressing as well.

I hate what happened to Bibby. It's clear with her progress she has put in a ton of work. She has become a great basketball player.
    Last edited by Hankp22; 01-17-2019 at 10:04 PM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hankp22 View Post
    Taylor, AEH Carter, Scott

All of them played great tonight. I actually thought each brought their on level of energy to the floor tonight. They have a great future here. Curious how Promise Taylor is progressing as well.

I hate what happened to Bibby. It's clear with her progress she has put in a ton of work. She has become a great basketball player.

Promise has lost over 30 pounds and was drilling threes in shoot around

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Weíre about to hit a lull in our schedule playing a lot of average and below average teams. Not sure we will have a real challenge on our hands again until mid February. So we should be able to get our reserves a lot of playing time in the coming weeks, as well as our starters a little more rest. I donít think Big T is gonna have to play 40 minutes against 5-12 Florida next week.

Our bench really impressed me tonight. They were thrown into the fire and handled the situation about as well as you couldíve asked.

Quote Originally Posted by ezsoil View Post
    ... This is a better squad than the last two teams.
    Ooh. I disagree. But the SEC doesnít have that monster in front of us that has been South Carolina these last two years. Also, UCONN isnít what they usually are. So, we are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by RutherfordBHayes View Post
    Ooh. I disagree. But the SEC doesnít have that monster in front of us that has been South Carolina these last two years. Also, UCONN isnít what they usually are. So, we are in good shape.
    Itís hard to compare this yearís group to last yearís because they are two extremely different teams. I would still go with last yearís team though just because they had Vivians and I think we were a little better defensively a year ago. But itís closer than I thought it would be before the season.

The SEC is having a down year and we appear to be by far the best team. And thereís a lot of parity among the top 6 or 7 teams nationally. So who ends up in the Final Four is just going to depend on who is hot at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    Itís hard to compare this yearís group to last yearís because they are two extremely different teams. I would still go with last yearís team though just because they had Vivians and I think we were a little better defensively a year ago. But itís closer than I thought it would be before the season.

The SEC is having a down year and we appear to be by far the best team. And thereís a lot of parity among the top 6 or 7 teams nationally. So who ends up in the Final Four is just going to depend on who is hot at the end of the year.
    thats true ...the top 8 teams are fairly close and it will come down to a few plays in the tournament...but I have to say this team is FAR better defensively by almost any metric... and with Vic recognizing that a zone is needed sometime, that makes them much better ... add in the fact that this team is far more balanced offensively, I would be more confident in March than I was the past two years...I have my final four tickets..and My flight reservations for Tampa. See ya there

thats true ...the top 8 teams are fairly close and it will come down to a few plays in the tournament...but I have to say this team is FAR better defensively by almost any metric... and with Vic recognizing that a zone is needed sometime, that makes them much better ... add in the fact that this team is far more balanced offensively, I would be more confident in March than I was the past two years...I have my final four tickets..and My flight reservations for Tampa. See ya there
    The thing I like about the zone defense is the rebounding edge. We were already dominant on the boards, but when we play a zone, teams are going to have to shoot 60% or better to beat us because offensive rebounds will be non-existent.

South Carolina shot lights-out from three and still lost by 15. The biggest reason for that is that we outrebounded them 49-24 and virtually took away second chance opportunities by allowing only 10 offensive rebounds, most of which came when we were playing man defense.

Here, fixed it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by RutherfordBHayes View Post
    Ooh. I disagree. But the SEC doesnít have that monster in front of us that has been A'ja Wilson these last two years. Also, UCONN isnít what they usually are. So, we are in good shape.
    Another good thing about last night was not having to hear that name repeated 500 times immediately followed by 'is fouled on the play'.

I think this team could hold its own with last year's team. Jazz is a different style player than Victoria, Jazz is just a hard nosed grinder and that works really well.
    Great Win for Mississippi State.

-Rick Stansbury

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    Vic made the adjustment that he needed to and played a zone and did a nice job mixing it up. This is a better squad than the last two teams.
    This team is not as good as the last two. And I hope they prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I agree. I thought this year's team had a chance to get as good as the last 2 by tournament time, but I don't see that happening without Bibby. I hope they prove us both wrong.

"I have to say this team is FAR better defensively by almost any metric" I totally disagree with this. I think last years team had a much better defense.

This team isnít close to as good as the last two. Especially defensively and shooting the three. Still a good team. Letís see how things change and develop.

I like that Vic is letting T score by getting offensive rebounds. Instead of trying to post T up and have her double teamed and Her getting offensive fouls. Now Danberry can penetrate and shoot, if she misses T cleans it up. Same with Jazz and Howard, they score off the bounce and T just rebounds if they miss. If Vic had done this against Norte Dame we win the Natty.

say our shooters shoot 40% and Big T and Howard get 50% of the misses and put them back--that my friends is how you score 90 a game.

Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    This year's team scores by committee. Last year's team was VV, Teiara, and 3 role players. VV and McCowan were our offense last year. This year's team is very good offensively. Our only loss was a defensive issue.

I'd honestly rather rely on rebounding and offensive put backs than 3 pointers.

I will say that the moment AEH took that charge, it looked like her "I'm officially a lady dawg" excitement and the crowd baptized her in applause. Now there's nothing but air and opportunity now between her and her potential. While Bibby's loss will possibly cost us a round or 2 this year, I think the PT that Carter plus all those trying to fill Gingers shoes gets may advance us a round or two next year when T is getting paid.

add in the fact that this team is far more balanced offensively
    You really believe that? Sans Ginger, if Tierra gets into early foul trouble, or is shut down by some defensive force, or rolls an ankle. What 4 players are you confident that can go out there and give you 55 points a game so that the rest of the team can get 25 more and hope for a win since without T the change in the rebounding ratio and the shots she doesn't affect will mean scoring 80 gives us much less margin for error, if we get to 80. Unless someone steps up to spread the oppo D out then other teams are gonna double team T and probably have a third girl rotating to have 3 on her at times.

not an diss of the girls on the team, I just don't see the more balanced team, especially without Ginger.

edited to change D up to D Out in last line of the first paragraph
    Last edited by PineGroveBully; 01-19-2019 at 12:06 AM.

All five of Vicís signees coming in next year are McDonalds AA nominees.....
    #kanítCrootToStarkville. (Vic can)

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    the girl from Detroit is really good.

The future of this program is very bright. Vic is really developing players and now is consistently bringing in a higher level of talent (he got the memo that Mullen missed about recruiting).

This team doesnít shoot the three well. Last yearís team was one of the best shooting teams in the country.
    Bibby was good, but had a couple of off nights. Jazz and Jordan canít shoot the three at all. I mean, they donít take wide open shots because they canít hit them. Thatís a liability. Teams collapse down on the paint. T has 2 and 3 defenders on her when she touches the ball. Last year she kicked it out to 3 or 4 excellent shooters (Viv, Blair, and Ro were great). Our best outside shooter now is Anriel, weíll see how Bre does (I think sheís good). Offensively, we need Andra to step up big.
    The thing that makes this team so good is T is so dominant, Anriel is so very good at everything, and Jazz/Jordan can handle the ball so well and defend.

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post
    You really believe that? Sans Ginger, if Tierra gets into early foul trouble, or is shut down by some defensive force, or rolls an ankle. What 4 players are you confident that can go out there and give you 55 points a game so that the rest of the team can get 25 more and hope for a win since without T the change in the rebounding ratio and the shots she doesn't affect will mean scoring 80 gives us much less margin for error, if we get to 80. Unless someone steps up to spread the oppo D out then other teams are gonna double team T and probably have a third girl rotating to have 3 on her at times.

not an diss of the girls on the team, I just don't see the more balanced team, especially without Ginger.

I trust Howard and Danberry to score 20+ if needed. Scott and AEH haven't played enough for me to know. Holmes is capable but rarely needs to.

I can't count many times that a player other than Vivians or T scored 20+ last year. Howard, Danberry, and T can all score 20+ when needed. It's a different look but still good on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    by allowing only 10 offensive rebounds, most of which came when we were playing man defense.
    Half of those coming on one possession very late when they were jacking up 3s. Take those away and our dominance on the boards was even more impressive. Solid win.

Quote Originally Posted by topbulldawg View Post
    "I have to say this team is FAR better defensively by almost any metric" I totally disagree with this. I think last years team had a much better defense.
    The statistics do not back up your thoughts... Opponents FG pct, steals, turnovers created, it's not even close....last year's team had a huge defensive liability with Morgan William and that is why Jazz played more in the crunch time, what makes you think last year's team was better defensively? They were certainly limited in size and couldn't defend the big guards like Cunningham.

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post

Scott has one of the highest points per minute on the team...obviously you haven't watched her or you haven't listened to coach Harris talk about her offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    We got a Panda Express now.

Well to be perfectly honest I don't make it a habit of listening to many assistants talk in any sport, just prefer seeing the product on the floor and make my own decisions. And I grant you Scott has looked the part, but opposing coaches don't spend a lot of prep for a 12 min/ 6.4 ppg average. As her PT is bound to expand greatly we'll see if she's ready and able to step up be more than a roll player when her opponents have scouted and game planned for her.

We'll see. Hopefully y'all are right. But there will be major growing pains as someone steps up for Bibby then whoever fills those 12-14 mins off the bench. Good news is this happened the first half of January instead of the end of February. I trust Vic to have ironed out a lot of those wrinkles by March. I wasn't doubting the young players potential, but when you're thrusted into a starters roll in a week and will be expected to knock down shots from deep so that opposing coaches don't just drop down and zone us constantly. Oh and that starters roll is for a team that is 2 wins away from back to back natty's and on a squad expected to reach E8 or maybe even F4.

The silver lining is that this setback should create opportunities that'll really benefit next year's squad. I'm just glad it's Vic with this challenge as opposed to Howland. Much more impressed with Vic's player development.