Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Any of you experienced any disc problems in your back?

I took a shower just before the state/ole miss game last Saturday and felt perfectly normal. Stretched out to watch bball and 2 NFL playoff games. By the time the state game was wrapping up the top inside of my shoulder blade around the trap was killing me for what seemed like no reason.

By the Sunday came along I'd lost 75% of strength in that arm with a numb thumb. It was marginally better Monday then I slightly over did it Monday or tues working on year end reports. By that night it was worse. But my Dr wasn't in. I had a bad t5-t7 area major injury at 16 so I hafta use my arms for a lot more than the average Joe. Makes it hard to take it easy.

Found out my Dr was on ER duty last night and went as I used a 10 on the pain scale for the first time ever. Still feel like I have a knot at that original shoulder blade c-spine area. He said it sounded like a disc problem which he said it could not be good. He gave me a steroid shot, a tardol shot, and dilaudid shot. Hafta get MRI this morning and see a therapist. I was finally to get some sleep for the first time last night on 2-3 days until it wore off about 4:30am, so at least I'm getting to watch state/usce.

Anyway, any of you had a similar slipped disc prob in the cervicle spine area. I've never hurt like this. What ended up being you prognosis and were they able to do much with it? Not asking for prayers or sympathy but the general knowledge of this board is sometimes astonishing and that you may have had similar problems. Thanks for any response, smartass or otherwise.

Left Field Lofts | Left Field Dumpster Yes | No

Tough deal. Hopefully the MRI comes back clean. I herniated a couple of discs in my lower back a few years ago and PT did the trick. My wife actually had back surgery on a few of her L#'s right around the same time. We spent enough time combined at the Texas Back Institute to learn that the T-'s and C's are a lot harder road.

I also saw some miserable looking people with the between the shoulder blade pain and the doc said most turns out to be muscle inflammation that swells up putting pressure on nerves and heals in a few weeks, so it's pretty rare that it's an actual disc herniation in the middle compared to lower and even neck. Hopefully you are just having muscular issues.

I don't personally know anyone that had a major Tspine issue, but myself and everyone I know that had an L# herniation, knows two moments. The 1st moment was when they hurt it, the second time is down the road when they ceased being able to move for 3 days and cried like a baby from the pain. The second moment is when I knew it was a herniated disc. It sounds like you know your two moments, but I am hoping for your sake that it's a coincidence since it's been such a long time between the two.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Good info, thanks. I fractured my t5-7 in a wreck at 16 but I don't think pain is near as debilitating at 16 as it is at 36, but I don't remember pain like this, and that was with having a 10 hour surgery to get 12" of titanium rods to stabilize it.

Several years ago I had an L rupture and the pain was excruciating. A few years later I was diagnosed with a rupture in the neck. Pain was equally bad and I couldnít raise my right arm above midway if there had been a million dollar check on a shelf a little higher. Anyway it turned out to be a bone spur that mimicked a rupture on the mylogram. Everything was fixed up fine but donít wait around at all. Not that you would with the pain but pinched nerves can cause muscle atrophy if too much time passes.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Disc/nerve injuries are the worst. I had one years ago, three days before I was supposed to race (road bikes) the Master's National Championships. I couldn't lift my right arm at all, eventually lost all my muscle in my arm and had to completely rebuild with much rehab/clinic therapy/chiropractors/etc. I suffered for awhile, about 6 months of bad pain. Changed my sleeping position, pillow, posture, rebuilt supporting muscles and eventually discovered Bikram yoga which was my saving grace. It saved my life. I know, cheezy hippy dippy bs...but it did and now at the age of 52 I am racing mountain bikes at an expert level. Podium'd on every race last season. Mindset is the key, as the body can heal itself.
    Good luck, it's a bitch to deal with. I have broken a lot of bones in my life (motocross, bmx, skateboarding, etc) but nerve/disc pain is the absolute worst I have dealt with.

Do not disregard a good Chiropractor. Good friend of mine was thrown from a horse years ago. He had back pain, hip pain and it eventually led to loss of feeling in one lower leg. He had seen several Dr's and was to the point of surgery, my wife talked him into seeing her Chiropractor, she has sciatica, he was skeptical but willing to try anything. It took 6 months for a full recovery but he said he saw improvement in a week. He is now back to pre horse accident, which was 10 years ago, and still goes once a month just for adjustment. I have never been to one but have seen the results in family and friends.

That's me, I can't lift left arm enough to barely get a tshirt on.

That's me, I broke my nose and two toes playing hs basketball, then fractured a bone in my face and broke 2 fingers playing baseball, broke a wrist bass fishing, the 3 vertabrae at 16, broke a femur deer hungting, and broke the other and a foot in a wreck. None of that compares to this.

thank you all for your imput

Edited to add that the last sentence didn't come out right, meant to come out saying as painful as my list looked, your sans muscle deal sounds worse
    Last edited by PineGroveBully; 01-18-2019 at 08:52 PM.

I've had a nerve issue that cause spasms in my back that go from middle back

down and then referred pain in abdomen when it flares up. I've been dealing with it since early 90's with no real treatment other than walking,
    weight loss, massage and Tins machines. It doesn't bother me that often but when it does it sucks. I use a thera cane to do self message on the spasms and
    that really helps me get through my episodes. Best of luck.

https://www.allegromedical.com/perso...34631fb#TC1000
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    Do not disregard a good Chiropractor. Good friend of mine was thrown from a horse years ago. He had back pain, hip pain and it eventually led to loss of feeling in one lower leg. He had seen several Dr's and was to the point of surgery, my wife talked him into seeing her Chiropractor, she has sciatica, he was skeptical but willing to try anything. It took 6 months for a full recovery but he said he saw improvement in a week. He is now back to pre horse accident, which was 10 years ago, and still goes once a month just for adjustment. I have never been to one but have seen the results in family and friends.
    Yea. Def try a good, well reviewed, chiropractor before surgery. I had my L1-L2 come a little out of whack due to a car accident when I was a teenager. It didn’t show up as a bad problem until my mid 20s after being a mild bother the years before.

it got to the point where I could not stand up straight after going from seated to standing without excruciating pain. And I could not stand without propping myself up.

Chiropractor saw the problem on XRay and I started getting adjustments. It is manageable now with only periods of pain when I may over exert myself or want to believe I’m still 17 on a wakeboard.

Just sometimes i can get up from a chair with no pain. Some random time it may catch and I nearly fall on my face. If I fight through the pain and stretch upward to stand, my back will pop and then I can stand with no pain. And it’s not really an audable pop to anyone that would be standing next to me. It’s more like a slight slip and a thud kind of pop. That little bit of free movement and going from lots of pain to no pain instantly sort of worries me a tad. But this happens when I don’t see the chiropractor in a while. If you have back issues, you are supposed to keep going at least once a
    month.

I had lost my tens unit but was going by today to get one. Thought that might help a little.

Just be careful when you mention it...
    https://youtu.be/f4ss4K8DAmE

Quote Originally Posted by WalkTheDawg View Post
    It is manageable now with only periods of pain when I may over exert myself or want to believe I’m still 17 on a wakeboard.
    I read this three times before I realized you said seventeen, instead of 17

Physically therapy and steroid shots for lower back. Same for middle back and upper back. Neck area is tricky. Have to be very careful. I have slip discs between T2 and T3. That one sucks bad and can cause me to miss sleep. L5-S1 can be a pain in the ass literally. Also had issues at L3 and some at C2. Last fall I had similar issue with numbness and tingling in arm and pain in upper back. Few days and stretch and not lifting anything it got better. I had a bad wreck when I was In high school and played football high school and college so lots of back damage. It got a lot worse from lifting to heavy for the first time a few years ago, and I started having nerve pain and muscle twitches. I spent a lot of money trying to figure out the nerve issues I had with muscle twitches. Lots of CT scans and MRIís. Donít do much lifting anymore at all now. Just light excercise. Iím also a big guy so it doesnít help. I also recommend a chiropractor and a good neurologist. Just keep the doctors informed of whatís going on. Stretch and do the excercises they recommend. The shiatsu massage chairs are also good and help work out some areas in the back to help relax those muscles around the spine. If you are young try to stay away from surgery if possible at all. Sometimes thatís the only way but if you have surgery it will always be different and cause issues. Doctors always tried to steer me away from it. I see the chiropractor twice a month and when I stick to that schedule I feel a lot better. They have that spinulator thing in most that rolls through your back that helps a lot. Thatís mostly for the T, L, S nerve issues though. Good luck because spine issues suck.

I'm having a nerve root epidural in my lumbar region next Friday due to disc and stress fracture issues from years of athletics. Anyone had one of these shots done? I'm confused on how exactly it fixes the problem instead of just bandaging the pain.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

The steroid that is injected into the epidural is supposed to decrease the inflamation. I have had about 10 of these since my initial injury in 2002. The effects are typically shorter after each one. I have had two surgeries since 02. They are just a bandaid for most.

I am so lucky. As a hs senior I went out for football for my first year. Tried to tackle a running back much bigger than me (110 pounds) and I accidentaly speared him with my head. The impact knocked me out from back injury, between the shoulder blades. My back was sore for a few weeks but finally healed with no noticeable problems afterwards.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I’m a physical therapist here in Arkansas. Definitely sounds like herniated disc type symptoms or impingement.

Our typical plan of care would include manual cervical traction where we create some distraction/slight separation of the vertebrae to relieve that pressure and hopefully that leads to a healing disc. We would follow up with some massage to the cervical muscles and add some postural training exercises to reverse to pressure on those vertebrae (chin tucks, scapular muscle strengthening exercises) and stretches (where the patient could tolerate).

Posture corrective exercises and stretching along with shoulder and scapular mobilizations would be more for an impingement type case. But both would have similar plans of care.

We’re seeing this more and more with the forward leaning tendency people are getting into now with looking at phones, computers, improper seating positions at work and at home leading to more stresses on the vertebrae. Every chance you get I would try doing some shoulder blade squeezes where you pinch them together, chin tucks at your desks to help combat these types of injuries.

Feel free to ask me any questions about this!
    Last edited by NWADog; 01-18-2019 at 04:00 PM.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Jan 2015

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	12144

March 2016 complete revision because three screws broke in T1 and C6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	12145

Arthritic bone spurs in the cervical spinal canal. Long term effects... chronic pain, neuropathy in feet, legs and hands which has led to six other surgeries on my feet for things like big toe amputation.

You and I have talked about this in PM. I really, really hope they can fix you. My guy was one of the best in the country and looks like he should be playing tackle for some NFL team, but he is fantastic, probably kept me walking. I have his number if you are interested in coming to Austin. He gets patients from all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by PineGroveBully View Post
    Good info, thanks. I fractured my t5-7 in a wreck at 16 but I don't think pain is near as debilitating at 16 as it is at 36, but I don't remember pain like this, and that was with having a 10 hour surgery to get 12" of titanium rods to stabilize it.
    Spine pain is different from anything else and hard to make people understand.

Never had surgery, but I have some sort of spinal shot every three months ... epidural, facet block, and sometimes a radiofrequency nerve burning. All those keep me going. I've seen too many surgery failures. This is all for degenerative discs in the lower back.

This is the plan of action the Dr laid out last night, just waiting for MRI. Thanks for confirming his plan as a good one.

We'll stay in touch

Well here's my deal. I've only mentioned this once or twice in 11-12 years on SPS. I mentioned the car wreck and three fractured vertebrae at t5-t7. Well that wreck was when I was 16, left the gym after a Christmas break shoot around. That wreck going home left me completely paralyzed from the waist down. The spinal cord wasn't injured initially, but this was b4 the standard now of emt's giving cortisone shots to ppl with possible SCI's. But I was out in a freezing field for 20 mins before I was found, then took ambulance from Ripley 15 more to get there as I was out in the country. Tupelo wasn't the correct emergency level at the time to accept me, 2 years later they were. So I was headed to the Med in Memphis and it was raining/sleeting and wind blowing 50 mph so they couldn't fly me. So it was around 5-6 hours before I reached experts and swelling around the vertebrae cut SC circulation off after so long. That is what ended up getting me, swelling.

Dec 21 was 20 years ago. Well I'm also a pretty big guy, 6'5 190ish. So I hafta use my arms and shoulders for everything most ppl use 4 limbs for I have 2 to use, and now 1. So it's really hard to give it any rest. That and how much I use my arms is gonna make this complicated. Hopefully therapy will be his recommendation once the MRI is read. The steroid shot gave me a little more range of motion and upped my strength in that arm from 25 to 40ish%. Now I've had between 25 and 30 surgeries over those 20 years so the scalpel doesn't scare me, but being I lost the use of my legs that long ago and the fact that I only use a manual chair and drive a 4wd Tacoma that requires a little climbing to get in, the thought of a cervical spine operation where a mislick could leave me helpless scares the shit out of me, and very few things bring fear to me.

For those 20 years I've done pretty much everything on my own with no assistance so the thought of otherwise is REAL. If an operation happens to be the case I have the best neurosurgeon in Tupelo and if I go the chiropractor route the only one I've used is Dr Adam Martin in New Albany. Not telling y'all any of this for sympathy or asking for prayers but some of you asked me to follow up and I wanted to add in why this was more complicated. I'm not asking for anything but if any are willing I can set me up a GoFundMeALapDance account. Someone else mentioned the trouble was sleeping, well it wasn't until I got those 4 shots last night it had been 5 nights since I could lay on my back which is how I now sleep.

Again not meaning to draw any sympathy, just figured the pack could give me better info on a disc problem than google and most seem really concerned so I just filled in a few details. Thanks again guys and if interested I'll let you know more as I do. I toughed it out and climbed in the truck and went hunting for a cpl hours,hunting out of the truck watching cutover, had to get out and didn't know how many more chances I had this year.

Thanks again pack and let's go whoop some crooked court vandy ass. To keep it real someone please find something in my post to goad my ass about.
    Last edited by PineGroveBully; 01-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Fat fingered a down vote bud, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedLetta4Eva View Post
    I read this three times before I realized you said seventeen, instead of 17
    Well I was something on a board back then. Could have worked either way. Now when I hit the water it’s like “man.. if I did that I would pay for it tomorrow”. After a few beers, it changes to “Get your ass in the boat and let me show you how it’s done”.

Chiropractor might not be the answer but it has helped me a great bit. I have lower back pain a lot from hip issues and sitting in a chair all day.

When I go to the chiropractor consistently, it helps a lot.

Back and spine pain sucks.

I took a shower just before the state/ole miss game last Saturday and felt perfectly normal. Stretched out to watch bball and 2 NFL playoff games. By the time the state game was wrapping up the top inside of my shoulder blade around the trap was killing me for what seemed like no reason.

By the Sunday came along I'd lost 75% of strength in that arm with a numb thumb. It was marginally better Monday then I slightly over did it Monday or tues working on year end reports. By that night it was worse. But my Dr wasn't in. I had a bad t5-t7 area major injury at 16 so I hafta use my arms for a lot more than the average Joe. Makes it hard to take it easy.

Found out my Dr was on ER duty last night and went as I used a 10 on the pain scale for the first time ever. Still feel like I have a knot at that original shoulder blade c-spine area. He said it sounded like a disc problem which he said it could not be good. He gave me a steroid shot, a tardol shot, and dilaudid shot. Hafta get MRI this morning and see a therapist. I was finally to get some sleep for the first time last night on 2-3 days until it wore off about 4:30am, so at least I'm getting to watch state/usce.

Anyway, any of you had a similar slipped disc prob in the cervicle spine area. I've never hurt like this. What ended up being you prognosis and were they able to do much with it? Not asking for prayers or sympathy but the general knowledge of this board is sometimes astonishing and that you may have had similar problems. Thanks for any response, smartass or otherwise.
    without acute trauma i would say this is a gall bladder problem. iím guessing you had a big greasy meal before this happened.

Had my gallbladder removed about 16 years ago in college.

I would exhaust every possible option before having surgery for sure. If it comes to it and you need the surgery just do your homework on who your surgeon will be. No matter who your surgeon is the above discs and vertebrae are more likely to degenerate after a surgery. So once you have one more than likely there will be more to follow it in the future.

Also... invest in a good pillow. It sucks to spend 50-100$ on a pillow but itíll be worth it.

without a gall bladder

Had my gallbladder removed about 16 years ago in college.
    i would exhaust this as the cause before letting another opportunistic doc cut on me. after that i would go the stem cell injection route. at the same time, investigate what it takes to follow the low inflammation food lifestyle.

Will keep in mind, thanks. The steroid injection I got thurs night plus the decadron for swelling has cut the pain in half with help from some pain meds. I figure this will wear off in a couple weeks but hopefully if nothing major shows up maybe I can get a cpl weeks of therapy before it wears off then maybe get 1 more injection in me and do several more weeks of therapy and then see where we are. Thanks for your input.

I really hope I didn't put some ppl off by the details I provided but a cpl posters seemed really knowledgeable (we're talking 26-27 on the English section of the ACT) so I thought it'd help them if they knew the complications that went with my particulate disc issue.

Again thank yall for your input. I now have a idea of things to bring up and discuss as I go forward.

I slept on crappy to semi crappy pillows most of my life, damn hotel pillows normally won't allow me to zip my suitcases. But I did break down and buy me a My Pillow back in the summer, and they seem to be as advertised. But like you said if nothing really major shows up then the manual cervical traction was his first plan of action.

I've talked to some that said it took 5-6 years to ever get complete healed, but I don't have that kind of time. Is this something that spending a little time in a hyperbaric chamber might speed or help the recovery. I know little about them other than a lot of pro athletes that swear by them, but that may bc they really help with quick recovery to keep them fresh and to maybe keep some nagging injuries from becoming chronic. You'll know more about them than I do.

Maybe check out ďTreat Your Own NeckĒ by Robin McKenzie. I donít have any experience with cervical disc problems, but I have had good success treating lumbar disc issues with his prone progression exercises.

I donít know if itíll heal you or make a huge difference but it wouldnít hurt to try.

You can also get at home cervical traction units. There are some that hang over the door and there are some that you lay your neck down in and you pump it up and it expands and creates distraction as well. Both can help facilitate healing quicker along with the therapy youíll be getting.

Thanks again, will check on the home unit, I've got great connections in the Med products field if it's something insurance doesn't want to fork out.

thanks again bud, I may PM you if I have more questions

Quote Originally Posted by biodawg View Post
    Maybe check out ďTreat Your Own NeckĒ by Robin McKenzie. I donít have any experience with cervical disc problems, but I have had good success treating lumbar disc issues with his prone progression exercises.
    Those are great books, quick and cheap.

Iím a PT. Highly recommend a few PT visits and getting a good exam to deal with this. Hard to give any focused advice without that. Ask for good recs around your area. Iím glad the injection helped and hope you get in soon so you can start feeling better. Best of luck.

Iíve had years of pain from lumbar disks (lower spine). Iíve had epidural injections, physical therapy, swimming (really effective, by the way), and even went to a chiropractor as a final resort. The chiropractor realized very quickly that he was in over his head and got me in to see a neurosurgeon at Baylor in Dallas. I have problems with L2-L5. Degenerative disk disease and spinal stenosis. All 4 disks are herniated and bulging. Been that way for years. My sister is a PT and she has helped me over the years and is the reason I havenít let them do surgery on me. With my situation, one surgery will lead to subsequent surgeries. My sister has spent over 30 years doing therapy on people who had back surgery. She has also seen way too many people who were victimized by chiropractors and their ďadjustmentsĒ. There are good chiropractors out there who take great care with their patients, and there are millions of people who get real relief from chiropractic care. There are also people who get messed up from a simple ďsnapĒ of the neck. I have a cousin who had cervical disk issues for years. He worked for UPS as a driver for over 20 years and just prior to his retirement he decided he had to do something as he was losing the feeling in his fingers and hands. He made an appointment at a place in Tampa. Something or other Spinal institute. Itís well-known, the name has just escaped me. He went one day, did the pre-op stuff, spent the night at the Hyatt Regency across the street from the clinic, went in the next morning and had the surgery. He and his wife went back to the Hyatt that night, back to the clinic the next morning for post-op visit, and were on their way back home to Pensacola before noon. He went back for a follow-up a month later and heís done. No pain anymore, no tingling in his fingers or neuropathy, nothing. He swears itís a miracle. Itís all micro surgery-he had 3 incisions about 3/4Ē to 1Ē. I wish I could remember the name of the place. If I ever have anything done, thatís where Iím going. They have several other clinics around the country. I know thereís one in Dallas, or at least in the Metroplex. Itís something Spinal Institute. Damn. Old age memory is no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest4Moore View Post
    I'm having a nerve root epidural in my lumbar region next Friday due to disc and stress fracture issues from years of athletics. Anyone had one of these shots done? I'm confused on how exactly it fixes the problem instead of just bandaging the pain.
    Iíve had lots of those injections over the years and I finally just stopped because they didnít help me any more. At first I could get a few weeks of relief, but later on they did nothing.

The pain that I experience in my lumbar spine is from inflammation, and I suspect that is the problem for a lot of people with damage to the spinal spectrum. Mine is from multiple disk herniations (disks impinging on nerves), degenerative disk disease and spinal stenosis, or a narrowing of the spinal canal.

Instead of the injections I have found that taking a round of steroids works wonders. Methylprednisolone (prednisone) comes in the form of a dose pak that you take for a period of 5-7 days. It gets rid of the inflammation and the pain by the 4th day. Yeah, Iím well aware of the terrible things that steroids do to your body but sometimes you just get sick of hurting for weeks and months at a time. I only take the prednisone once a year, twice at the most. Such is life when you live with chronic pain

Sounds interesting, I think I've saw commercials for a place that does like 1" incisions and says "you'll be back to work the next day." Don't know bout all that, but I will research it heavily before anyone gets another scalpel near my spine. Btw I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but my thumb on that arm has been numb since this started last Saturday.

looked it up, there's a Florida Spinal Institute in Tampa, looks to be a branch of a nationwide Laser Spinal Institute. There is a branch in Tupelo called the Aurora Spinal Institute. I've seen the building but never checked it out. Thanks for the input, another note on the notepad of things to ponder.

And thanks to the mods for allowing this topic for staying as long as it has. Of course I could google or webMD this stuff but I value the info and life experiences of ppl who have had similar problems that I've felt like I've known some of you for years.