Bigger issue to me, regarding the Clarion Ledger, bigger than the error.....

....was that we unveiled the new park, with the statues and all, and we sweep scoring 36 runs, yet Ole Miss got the massive front cover shoot of Parker Caracci, on a day that they freaking lost to Wright State. They could have run that story on him any time in the last 2 months (and nothing against Parker, he is a great young man).

That shows the more direct bias than the error, which I could believe was made elsewhere.

17 out of 17 sixpackers like this post
    Left Field Lofts | Left Field Dumpster Yes | No

They have an opportunity to make money on advertising (both print and clicks), sell a few copies as keepsakes, increase goodwill to half their citizenry, and provide thoughtful, accurate, professional, relevant and good coverage of a state institution that is positive for the state of Mississippi and instead they pass on it and still manage to **** it up.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

IF CL was still a legitimate news souce,

I'd be upset, but they are now just an average rag.

Controlled from foreign sources, trying to get internet hits.

It is what it is.
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

Whats sad is that they probably got more clicks from people linking their 17 up than if they had just written a normal write up. I would have just gone about my day and ignored them like I always do. Still didnít click any link, but Iím sure a bunch of other folks who didnít know any better did.

The CL is nothing but a marketing tool for the University of Mississippi. How many examples must people see to notice what most of us saw years ago.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I dropped the Clarion Ledger in the 90's because I couldn't take the bias. I

have not missed them.
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Same.. I don't think there was a morning of my youth where the CL wasn't on the breakfast table. Somewhere along the way in the late 90's I thought.. Why am I paying good money for this BS?

I dropped the bitches when they dropped the Jackson Daily Edition whenever the 17 that was.
    ďThis is the flip side," Cuomo said. "Tax the rich, tax the rich, tax the rich. The rich leave, and now what do you do?Ē

Overlooked in all this is that there was a 12-hr hostage situation in Clinton...

...that ended at about 2:30 PM on Saturday with four people dead, and there was NO coverage of this in the Sunday Clarion-Ledger.

It's not just sports that's awful over there.
    -VH

Upset at fish wrap?
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Those still stoking the flames of outrage over CL horseshit are wayyyyyy behind.

For 17s sake stop reading. Stop clicking. Let that propagandist troll rag die the painfully embarrassing death it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by T-TownDawgg View Post
    Those still stoking the flames of outrage over CL horseshit are wayyyyyy behind.

For 17s sake stop reading. Stop clicking. Let that propagandist troll rag die the painfully embarrassing death it deserves.
    The outrage serves a purpose. Folks need to be aware of the measure of the Ole Miss resolve.

By the way, I didn't read or click anything. I simply saw sixpackspeak's tweet with the picture.

In this day and age of social media, I think it's been proven that relying on local newspapers for news is outdated. The only stories worth reading in any media are the ones that aren't time sensitive i.e. investigative pieces. Clarion Ledger better pick up on that, and quickly. They could create a niche for that if they wanted.

This canít be overstated. Itís the nicest sports facility in the state by a long shot. A State university spent $68 million on the finest baseball facility in the history of the college sport. Something that our state hasnít been able to say but once in 1987. At this grand opening, we have MLB all stars, record holders, and legends giving speeches and making appearances all weekend.
    Thatís an enormous local story. It deserved multiple articles, pictures, Hell... a special section. And they screw up the lone article written.
    Let. It. Die.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

GOAT, the only purpose any outrage generated will serve is making those children at the CL laugh like hyenas. Just what they want.

In this instance, the best form of outrage is to completely stop reading.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Twitter
    @guyfromgulfport
    Quote Originally Posted by RutherfordBHayes View Post
    This canít be overstated. Itís the nicest sports facility in the state by a long shot. A State university spent $68 million on the finest baseball facility in the history of the college sport. Something that our state hasnít been able to say but once in 1987. At this grand opening, we have MLB all stars, record holders, and legends giving speeches and making appearances all weekend.
    Thatís an enormous local story. It deserved multiple articles, pictures, Hell... a special section. And they screw up the lone article written.
    Let. It. Die.
    If PDS@DNF would have been built in Lafayette County, there would have been a 12 page, full color, bonus section in Sunday's paper.

Name:  19eoxa.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  19.8 KB

"CL" Clarion Ledger or Colonel LandShark. It is a lot easier to accept their written "stories" if we think of them as the latter, Colonel LandShark.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Now Robert St. John, a great bulldog fan, with some local mustard mixed in for the USM eagles announced they have cut his column. Shocker... not really. It was one of the readable things in there so it had to go as well.
    Last edited by PubDawg; 02-18-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Typo

And they donít understand the toxic rivalry

I did not read or did I click on the Clarion ledger. I got the info from here. They canít understand the toxic rivalry. Cheater U. has always gotten plus coverage. It goes back to when the Hedermans sp. and the political environment of this state were all pro Cheater U. MSU only got the crumbs from the table of atheletic events. They treated MSU like red headed step child. Remember Sherrill NCAA investigation and the Clarion Ledger ran a story about the investigation in the paper every day and sometimes two articles. This went on for years.
    Yet Cheater U. goes thru NCAA investigation with much more grievous cheating (academic fraud ACT) buying players etc yet the Clarion Ledger crickets!
    I will enjoy the day that bird cage liner is dead and gone! You reap what you sow!

President Hayes, you should be careful with your condemnation of the Bearion-Ledger. Your point will be picked up by their crack staff and the new headline will read "MSU spends $68 million for a ballfield, while departments are cut and education is stripped." or "MSU's new $68 million facility will only be used X number of days per year."

It is way over due for our administration to cut them loose. In these days of the internet we do not need CL to get our story out. We should pump up the online paper as much as possible.

Or perhaps ... MSU baseball field finished with 20% cost overrrun ... originially costed at $55M, final cost $68M.

^^This. Pull credentials. Simple. Effective. State fans don't read it. If given the scoop they'd just deliberately 17 it up anyway.

As a former employee of Gannett Publishing, I feel like that place is on the ropes and in a daze. I can hear the ref counting down in my head now. I left 3 years ago and the building was more than half empty then. In my time there they reduced the staff by over 60% with layoff after layoff. It was extremely stressful working in that kind of environment, not knowing if you were going to be shown the door any day. The best thing I did was get out when the getting was good three years ago. I know more former co-workers who have been bought out since I left. A friend I still have up there tells me that the place is a ghost town. It's a sad situation, as I've watched them get rid of all of the talented people, and I'm not just talking about in the newsroom. Gannett centralized so many of the functions that it takes to produce a newspaper, that a newspaper could not be produced from beginning to end in that one location anymore. Most of the content is canned articles from the USA Today. Knowing what I know, it's really hard to take them seriously as a legitimate news source anymore. Most likely, someone out of state put that caption above the article, someone who doesn't know a thing about Mississippi or Mississippi sports.

I know I don't post much on this site, but i do enjoy reading everyone's posts everyday, so keep up the good work. GO STATE!!

Isn't that pretty much the situation at all newspapers, except those in large cities? And even those aren't what they once were --- even the NY Times and other large city papers have downsized.

That said, the CL does seem to screw things up for MSU at critical points.

All the while getting all the UofM sports news error free on a consistent basis. Anyone still defending this paper refuses to see it for what it is. A propaganda arm for one school in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    All the while getting all the UofM sports news error free on a consistent basis. Anyone still defending this paper refuses to see it for what it is. A propaganda arm for one school in the state.
    Yep, for a place supposedly desparate for money and customers, they manage to do an excellent job of alienating roughly half of their potential readership.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    Controlled from foreign sources
    Therein lies the root of the problem. The Clarion Liar you read today isn't the Liar of old when you had local editors like Rick Cleveland that knew the 17n difference between State and Ole Miss. They couldn't pay me to take a subscription to the piece of $h1t they call news now.
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

J_e M__rhead - Where's the O?

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    Thanks for the insight. I appreciate you posting this.

Most likely, someone out of state put that caption above the article, someone who doesn't know a thing about Mississippi or Mississippi sports.
    Even little things, like the difference between State and Ole Miss....

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    for a place supposedly desparate for money and customers
    If this were still a locally owned newspaper, I would say you're exactly right. But since this is owned by Ganett, I'd say they probably don't give a flyin' 17.

Quote Originally Posted by $altyDawg View Post
    If this were still a locally owned newspaper, I would say you're exactly right. But since this is owned by Ganett, I'd say they probably don't give a flyin' 17.
    Well if they are not interested in increasing the circulation and readership of their material I guess I don't understand why they are even in business.

Quote Originally Posted by $altyDawg View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I appreciate you posting this.

Even little things, like the difference between State and Ole Miss....
    A novel idea might be hey, if you don't know anything about the topic you are captioning, just don't caption it and leave it be with the article standing on its own. I know that's really radical thinking but it would actually work. I guess I don't get letting people who know nothing about the topic write headlines and captions.

Pretty sure Ganett is in the business to make money too. They're just too inept to adapt to the changing marketplace.