Lemonis vs M oorhead

Both first year head coaches. One is meeting large expectations and depending on who you ask one did not. Lemonis seems to be having the type of success many though Moorhead would have with a veteran team. I know baseball and football are both different types of sports but it seems to me one coach has a knack for getting the most of his players potential even in year one with a bunch of guys who arenít his guys, and the other only gets mediocre production out of veteran bunch in year 1.
    I will admit when both were hired I was more initially concerned with Lemonis but he has done everything you could ask of him. I think we got a good one. Still not convinced on Moorhead. He may turn out good but after watching his ability to get the most potential out of players Iím not quite convinced.

2 out of 14 sixpackers like this post
    Left Field Lofts | Left Field Dumpster Yes | No

Why don't you get off Coach Joe's ass and enjoy baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    Both first year head coaches. One is meeting large expectations and depending on who you ask one did not. Lemonis seems to be having the type of success many though Moorhead would have with a veteran team. I know baseball and football are both different types of sports but it seems to me one coach has a knack for getting the most of his players potential even in year one with a bunch of guys who arenít his guys, and the other only gets mediocre production out of veteran bunch in year 1.
    I will admit when both were hired I was more initially concerned with Lemonis but he has done everything you could ask of him. I think we got a good one. Still not convinced on Moorhead. He may turn out good but after watching his ability to get the most potential out of players Iím not quite convinced.
    Hey, we picked up a transfer today, Bulldog fan.

9 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

I know baseball and football are both different types of sports
    You should have stopped with this.

12 out of 14 sixpackers like this post

Iím simply comparing the two types coaches. One seems completely able to get full potential out of players he is given. The other does not. No need for a system of players or whatever Lemonis has coached up his boys itís refreshing to see a first year head coach get after it and not make excuses and getting the most he can out of what he was given.

2 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

I don't think you're real.

Iím simply comparing the two types coaches. One seems completely able to get full potential out of players he is given. The other does not. No need for a system of players or whatever Lemonis has coached up his boys itís refreshing to see a first year head coach get after it and not make excuses and getting the most he can out of what he was given.
    NOTICE OF ALLEGATIONS to the Chancellor of the University of Mississippi

[(4) Intentional, willful or blatant disregard for the NCAA constitution and bylaws [NCAA Bylaw 19.9.3-(m) (2016-17)]

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

The baseball team made the CWS last year with a lot of the same guys. They kinda already made their bonafides. They proved they could do it.

The football team had potential based on a lot of maybes. They had not proven much

I feel great about the baseball program. Lemonis has exceeded expectations so far. With that, the stadium, the good story from last year's run, Mangum, Self, Ginn. It's so much good going on I'm not sure why you are thinking football...but anyway.

I feel ok about football. He didn't do great. He didn't do awful. He is highly regarded by people that no more than anyone here. He made some questionable decisions. Buts he's a new head coach (Lemonis has D1 head coach experience btw).

So I feel better about baseball. But it's still the first year for both. We all should know nothing long term is really known. Lemonis may be just riding the hot streak we ended on last year and may not look so great in a few years..... Moorhead may end up being all people thought he could be before he wss hired

I don't feel nearly as excited about football as I do baseball. But I feel ok about it. I sure as hell don't want it to hinder my enjoyment of the baseball season though

Amazing the excuses made in this thread.

This thread is dead on. Thanks trojandawg for having actual expectations.

Don't let anyone in here shit on you just because you're embarrassed to lose to ******* Iowa with the #1 defense in the country.

0 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by wtw2400 View Post
    Amazing the excuses made in this thread.

This thread is dead on. Thanks trojandawg for having actual expectations.

Don't let anyone in here shit on you just because you're embarrassed to lose to ******* Iowa with the #1 defense in the country.
    Absurd. Football is a far more complicated game with many more moving parts on each and every play, requiring far more assistant coaches, etc. While there are some variances in the way baseball is played one team from another, they pale in comparison to the differences one finds in football programs. And the "unknowns" on each play from multiple players makes football a far more complicated game, and it's not even close.

There is absolutely no way anyone can make a fair comparison in how a 1st year football coach did vs a 1st year baseball coach. Hell, a whole bunch of you on here were really pissed we didn't offer Henderson the full-time gig after this same team (pretty much) got hot and lucky late and had that magical run to the CWS.

Baseball is a very simple game. Football is not.

7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

Iím as disappointed with moorehead as anyone. But I donít think any rational person thought moorehead would have the type of season lemonis is having. What the baseball team is doing right now is pretty special.

The mods should change your font to yellow matching the color of your short bus

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    Absurd. Football is a far more complicated game with many more moving parts on each and every play, requiring far more assistant coaches, etc. While there are some variances in the way baseball is played one team from another, they pale in comparison to the differences one finds in football programs. And the "unknowns" on each play from multiple players makes football a far more complicated game, and it's not even close.

There is absolutely no way anyone can make a fair comparison in how a 1st year football coach did vs a 1st year baseball coach. Hell, a whole bunch of you on here were really pissed we didn't offer Henderson the full-time gig after this same team (pretty much) got hot and lucky late and had that magical run to the CWS.

Baseball is a very simple game. Football is not.
    Lemonis broke record for most wins by 1st year coach in SEC. While it's easy to say "Baseball is a very simple game. Football is not." It's also easier to lose to anybody in baseball.
    Truth is football losing 5 games with 3 first rounders on the #1 defense falls at the feet of the head coach who lost 2-3 games he shouldn't have. All because he tried to force a square peg in round hole. Our receivers were terrible and yet he continued to force the ball in the air.
    Lemonis has pushed the right buttons. He has stuck with guys even when many here were crying for a switch.
    You can say he had more to work with but his own peers picked our team to finish 6th in west.
    Baseball and football are different. No sh1t Sherlock. Football is more complex. But to diminish what Lemonis has done this year is silly. Florida is loaded with talent and most likely won't make the tournament.

I can explain, we are a baseball school, always have been always will be. We are learning how to win in football.

You can't compare Coaches in two different sports, it isn't the same.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

"No shit Sherlock"?? Are you serious? I used the, "football and baseball are different" words because those words were the ones chosen by the OP I was responding to...Sherlock.***

Winning in baseball is a LOT easier for us than winning in football. Sure, decisions made by a HC can and do make a difference, but there are a fraction of as many decisions to be made in baseball as compared to football, and what each of the 11 players on your team does on each play can make a HUGE difference in the outcome. More moving parts means more potential points of failure. On any given football play all 11 are in action for the entire play. In baseball it is defensively as little as 2, pitcher & catcher, and is often 4..pitcher, catcher, fielder and 1st baseman. Sometimes it's more, but not all that often.

And in baseball those players mostly just play their position without being told what to do every play, and rarely needing to do anything differently than what they've been doing for years. Sometimes the players need a little more coordination with one another, but the routine plays typically don't even involve most of the players. Offensively you have the batter, and perhaps base-runners, so from 1 to 4 players actually engaged on any given play, with their roles simple, with few options.

Baseball is a game far more tied to pure talent and a little luck than football. A baseball HC has far fewer opportunities within a game to make a "costly wrong decision" than a football coach. A baseball HC has decisions to make within a game. A football coach has exponentially more to make. A baseball HC can be mediocre or worse, yet his team can still win a bunch in spite, because, by and large, baseball players know what to do in every situation without being told. Sure, they sometimes make mistakes, as does everyone...but at our team's level, these kids know. Look at Henderson last year. I love Gary, and think he's a great guy. But his contribution last year was not smart coaching, strategy, etc. It was providing a stable, low-key atmosphere the team needed at that time in the wake of the Cann fiasco. In reality, Henderson blundered a lot last year, but our players were talented enough, lucky enough and self-confident enough to overcome, not just the Cann fallout, but also Henderson's blunders.

While I'd have no problem if you want to claim Henderson helped some with the self-confidence, that doesn't change the fact Henderson made some really bad choices during the season that helped make that miracle run at the end necessary.

A mediocre football HC in the SEC is going to get his ass handed to him week-after-week and get absolutely destroyed by the better teams. A football HC has so much more to work on, and so much more with which to be concerned that comparing the job of a football HC to to that of a baseball HC is silly.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 05-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Long but solid post
    What's the difference in a Hippo and a Zippo?

One is a little lighter