Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ticket and travel recommendations for CWS

Looking to take my family to the CWS and seeing the NCAA website is selling individual game tickets through an exchange site. Just curious what some of you experienced folks would recommend as far as getting tickets. I saw a link to some GA ticket books but it isnít working. Any idea where these seats are in the stadium?

Trying to take me elderly father with us but itís looking like tickets and lodging are hard to come by at this late date. Lodging is sold out except for a few options on home rentals. Any of you Six Packers have any useful hacks for a fist time attendee?

women's basketball | men's basketball Yes | No

My son and I went last year (our first). We came from damn near south Carolina, so we flew.... bought the air tickets the morning after we beat Vandy.

the GA book that is being offered is mainly for "locals"... but it will put you in the outfield (only). that's a real cattle call. that line is insane daily. first game, we stood in that line and it looked like an easy 5000 people in the line. won't bother with that again. however, the upside is they let you attempt to upgrade the tickets to chairs along the baselines the mornings of the games. the little/big area outside of the stadium that first weekend is really great, lots of things for most ages. souvenirs we found were pretty varied -- as in, there was a shop there... and a shop over there...and a shop over there... with different options.

hotels, same as you, we found everything close booked. that sucked. we stayed on the outskirts of town (cuz I had free nights). would like to stay in the middle of it all if possible.

food... heh... some really great options around Omaha. don't believe the hype of "the drover" though.

There's an app to buy single game tickets. Use that. It's worth the prices. Reasonable. Chairbacks.

Stay a bit out of town you'll be fine.

Last year was HOT. May not be this year but plan for that.

Use that ticket exchange and if your heart can take it, buy the tickets as close to game time. I bought mine last year before I left and paid double what I would have if I had waited. Don't be cheap, it's not like you do this 2-3 times per year and there are reasonable prices for chairbacks.

I'm considering going again, it is a great experience.

It would be nice if we could pin a thread with this information. We are about to finish one trip but plan on going if we are in the final

Get War & Peace audio book if driving**

Also word of warning to everyone driving:

I-29 between KC and Omaha is closed because itís been underwater on and off since March.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Use the Waze app for driving directions. You'll thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    My son and I went last year (our first). We came from damn near south Carolina, so we flew.... bought the air tickets the morning after we beat Vandy.

the GA book that is being offered is mainly for "locals"... but it will put you in the outfield (only). that's a real cattle call. that line is insane daily. first game, we stood in that line and it looked like an easy 5000 people in the line. won't bother with that again. however, the upside is they let you attempt to upgrade the tickets to chairs along the baselines the mornings of the games. the little/big area outside of the stadium that first weekend is really great, lots of things for most ages. souvenirs we found were pretty varied -- as in, there was a shop there... and a shop over there...and a shop over there... with different options.

hotels, same as you, we found everything close booked. that sucked. we stayed on the outskirts of town (cuz I had free nights). would like to stay in the middle of it all if possible.

food... heh... some really great options around Omaha. don't believe the hype of "the drover" though.

Thanks, this helps a lot. Getting in line with 5000 sounds painful and someone else mentioned buying chairbacks on game day is cheaper anyway. Looks like staying outside Omaha is my only option right now, but not a big issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by onewoof View Post
    There's an app to buy single game tickets. Use that. It's worth the prices. Reasonable. Chairbacks.

Stay a bit out of town you'll be fine.

Last year was HOT. May not be this year but plan for that.
    what app do you use for the single game tickets?

Definitely go with Waze. When they make a sudden and drastic change to your directions, follow them. I have avoided hours long backups thanks to Waze telling me alternate routes almost as soon as accidents happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ll Martain ll View Post
    Also word of warning to everyone driving:

I-29 between KC and Omaha is closed because it’s been underwater on and off since March.
    THIS....we drove through there two weeks ago and it closed again the day after we went through. The Missouri River flooding is for real.
    -VH

Quote Originally Posted by DreadNought View Post
    Looking to take my family to the CWS and seeing the NCAA website is selling individual game tickets through an exchange site. Just curious what some of you experienced folks would recommend as far as getting tickets. I saw a link to some GA ticket books but it isn’t working. Any idea where these seats are in the stadium?

Trying to take me elderly father with us but it’s looking like tickets and lodging are hard to come by at this late date. Lodging is sold out except for a few options on home rentals. Any of you Six Packers have any useful hacks for a fist time attendee?
    Tips for anyone traveling from the Southeast:

1) Unless you have an irrational affection for rural Missouri, fly there. Thank me later.
    2) Check Airbnb / VRBO / etc, In the old days at Rosenblatt, thousands of folks in the neighborhood around there and the zoo would rent their houses out. Now that those places are not right on top of the stadium, these places are way more of a bargain as those folks still need the income. Do this plus Uber / Lyft to save some coin on staying downtown.
    3) Mattress Factory for libations.
    4) Most anywhere downtown for good steak or other fare. A lot of hood restaurants.

Is there tickets going to be available through MSU or only through the NCAA exchange?

they were available at the counter the morning of....

If you don't mind driving a bit....

Lincoln is less than an hour from the stadium. Also, look at possible hotels in Gretna (W. Omaha).

If you want to spend some money, find tickets online at various fansites.

Which games to attend?

I plan on going for two games max. Will have 2 kids (under 10) with me. I'm thinking about skipping the weekend game, and going to game 2 and possibly game 3. I realize that could stretch from Monday to Friday. But I figure the tickets will be cheaper for those games, and maybe slightly smaller crowds. Would that be a good assumption?

I actually like the outfield seats. They are cheap, easy to purchase, and a great view of the game. The down side is you need someone in line early to hold your place. We rotated folks in our group, and the people around were doing the same.We took a cooler with food and beverages for lunch in the line. Versus Indiana, we bought 3rd base seats for $70 each, and i felt like we overpaid for the spot. Craigslist is loaded with tickets, and they will meet you at the park. Hotels are a crap shoot, but they are available if you do some digging. My dime on the trip to the CWS.

Twitter
    @adawg43
    Quote Originally Posted by kired View Post
    I plan on going for two games max. Will have 2 kids (under 10) with me. I'm thinking about skipping the weekend game, and going to game 2 and possibly game 3. I realize that could stretch from Monday to Friday. But I figure the tickets will be cheaper for those games, and maybe slightly smaller crowds. Would that be a good assumption?
    I'm doing the same. I booked hotel from Monday through Friday and then tried to find air tickets. Cheapest Tix I could find for round trip with flight home on Friday was close to $700 each for 2 travelers. Wound up finding flights out of GTR for $365 round-trip for each of willing to stay an extra day and come home on Saturday. What the heck. I guess I'll just stay an extra day and enjoy the week with my 7 year old grandson and more baseball.

You might try calling hotels directly, a lot of LSU fans are probably canceling reservations today. If Ole Miss were to win today, a lot of Arkansas fans will be doing the same.
    Otherwise, look at AirBNB. Last year there were some great options. (Haven't checked this year because we're staying with the family we booked with last year.) I will say staying downtown is awesome, we've done that before, but it's pricey. Omaha is not that hard to get around so staying on the outskirts is not bad.
    ...Ole Miss fans do not believe in Jesus.
    Dawgstudent, 12-12-13

There was a thread on this last year that was very helpful to me, since that was my first trip there. Here are my lessons from last year.
    First and foremost, just go if you can. You can find tickets. Hotels were tougher.
    Overall, you can spend as much or as little as you want. You can stay downtown and get nice seats every game, or you can stay in Iowa and get Gen Admission tix every game.

Tickets :
    Agreed on previous post about last-minute tickets. We got ours the day before for about $100, and could have gotten for half that an hour before the game started.
    There is an app called "primesport" that you can buy tickets on, and an app called "Flash Seats" that works with it. You buy tickets on PrimeSport, and then there was an option to send them to "Flash Seats", and the ticket shows up on your phone so they can scan that. I was paranoid about this process, but it worked nicely. I think you need to set it up before you go, to be safe. And they have an outlet at the stadium in case you have any issues.
    OR : You can get Gen Admission tickets booklets and go to any game. Our fans travel and will show up, but not all do. The line for our 1st game was a mile long, but I was able to walk into the Florida/UT game in the 1st inning with no line at all. It's a great way to watch games that you aren't as interested in. These are $10 each I think, or you can get a package of 10 tickets for $80 or something like that. They sell them at Hy-Vee grocery stores (and none of our hotel concierge folks knew this, but 6pack message board did)
    OR : You can go to the box-office the morning of the games. Show up before 8:30 and they give you a place in line. This didn't work well for us because we had 6 in our group and they would only sell tickets in groups of 4 or less. You may want to google details. This site was helpful to me last year :
    https://www.ncaa.com/championships/b...cket-questions

Stadium beer :
    I'm a beer snob. There was 1 place that sold "craft beer" that was behind home plate. So if you sit in outfield, you can either walk far for good beer, or not-so-far for lite beer. Prices are average stadium prices.

Parking :
    There is a lot next to the stadium that apparently fills up early. People tailgate there and it's a good scene overall. I think it's $15. I parked there for the first game, but it took forever to get out after the game. The next game we used the hotel shuttle and saved about 30 minutes getting out. There is also ample parking on the West side of the stadium on the side of the streets, but it also fills up. It's fun to get there early and enjoy the crowds and local bars.

Hotels :
    I think I paid $400/night or close to that, close to downtown but couldn't walk to the stadium. Across the river had more availability for much less $$. Honestly I'd probably do that for my next trip, but was willing to pay for my 1st time. It may be a little more effort getting back to the room obviously.

Misc :
    I took my 9 and 11 year-old last year, and it was their first college baseball game.
    Omaha zoo is great, and I usually don't like zoos
    There are lots of activities around the stadium to enjoy, especially for kids.
    Locals seem to have preferred the Rosenblatt days, saying the new stuff is too corporate and the $$ is too centralized. This may be true, but it's still done very well.
    There are a LOT of people who just go to the series regardless of what schools make it. Folks who just like baseball and live in the area. I thought that was pretty cool.

I loved our experience last year and only stayed til Tuesday (saw 2 MSU games, and 2 others). I'd love to go back this year.

Another thing I recommend is find out the published practice schedule and go to Creighton to see the team. If you have kids it's a great time for autographs afterwards and you can stand right by the bullpen and listen to the seams of 95 mph fastballs whiz past.

The schedule is strict for each team's time so there's no waiting around. If you're staying downtown you can easily walk there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...!4d-95.9472079

Compiling a list - provide feedback please

NCAA Men’s College World Series

• June 15 thru June 26
    • Website

• ^ spend time looking at this website

MSU CWS Info

• Website

• ^ also visit here and read everything

TD Ameritrade Park

Airports

Hotels/Rentals

Driving

Tickets

Weather

• June averages

• Highs 84į
      • Lows 62į

Team Practice

Site seeing

Last edited by onewoof; 06-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by hdogg View Post
    There was a thread on this last year that was very helpful to me, since that was my first trip there. Here are my lessons from last year.
    First and foremost, just go if you can. You can find tickets. Hotels were tougher.
    Overall, you can spend as much or as little as you want. You can stay downtown and get nice seats every game, or you can stay in Iowa and get Gen Admission tix every game.

Tickets :
    Agreed on previous post about last-minute tickets. We got ours the day before for about $100, and could have gotten for half that an hour before the game started.
    There is an app called "primesport" that you can buy tickets on, and an app called "Flash Seats" that works with it. You buy tickets on PrimeSport, and then there was an option to send them to "Flash Seats", and the ticket shows up on your phone so they can scan that. I was paranoid about this process, but it worked nicely. I think you need to set it up before you go, to be safe. And they have an outlet at the stadium in case you have any issues.
    OR : You can get Gen Admission tickets booklets and go to any game. Our fans travel and will show up, but not all do. The line for our 1st game was a mile long, but I was able to walk into the Florida/UT game in the 1st inning with no line at all. It's a great way to watch games that you aren't as interested in. These are $10 each I think, or you can get a package of 10 tickets for $80 or something like that. They sell them at Hy-Vee grocery stores (and none of our hotel concierge folks knew this, but 6pack message board did)
    OR : You can go to the box-office the morning of the games. Show up before 8:30 and they give you a place in line. This didn't work well for us because we had 6 in our group and they would only sell tickets in groups of 4 or less. You may want to google details. This site was helpful to me last year :
    https://www.ncaa.com/championships/b...cket-questions

Stadium beer :
    I'm a beer snob. There was 1 place that sold "craft beer" that was behind home plate. So if you sit in outfield, you can either walk far for good beer, or not-so-far for lite beer. Prices are average stadium prices.

Parking :
    There is a lot next to the stadium that apparently fills up early. People tailgate there and it's a good scene overall. I think it's $15. I parked there for the first game, but it took forever to get out after the game. The next game we used the hotel shuttle and saved about 30 minutes getting out. There is also ample parking on the West side of the stadium on the side of the streets, but it also fills up. It's fun to get there early and enjoy the crowds and local bars.

Hotels :
    I think I paid $400/night or close to that, close to downtown but couldn't walk to the stadium. Across the river had more availability for much less $$. Honestly I'd probably do that for my next trip, but was willing to pay for my 1st time. It may be a little more effort getting back to the room obviously.

Misc :
    I took my 9 and 11 year-old last year, and it was their first college baseball game.
    Omaha zoo is great, and I usually don't like zoos
    There are lots of activities around the stadium to enjoy, especially for kids.
    Locals seem to have preferred the Rosenblatt days, saying the new stuff is too corporate and the $$ is too centralized. This may be true, but it's still done very well.
    There are a LOT of people who just go to the series regardless of what schools make it. Folks who just like baseball and live in the area. I thought that was pretty cool.

I loved our experience last year and only stayed til Tuesday (saw 2 MSU games, and 2 others). I'd love to go back this year.
    I spent the better part of today working on accommodations and found a great house outside Omaha. I don’t mind the drive of 20-30 min so we can all spread out for up to 12 days. This thread is gold for all the helpful tips from the people who have been before. This is a bucket list trip and my elderly parents are going so it will be a memorable experience. Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like tickets won’t be a huge concern but I will be working on that through the week.

I’m going to want to hear where the Six Pack eats and drinks! Let me hear from you. Hope they use Dales on those Omaha steaks!

Awesome list! High fives, (both e-hands).

I just booked my hotel in Council Bluffs, Iowa which is about 3 miles from the stadium for 3 nights(Sunday-Wednesday) for about $450 total. I would definitely suggest staying in CB and waiting last minute to get tickets on the FlashSeats. People buy and sell rapidly on there so keep it updated.

Went last year bought GA books. Got in line to exchange that morning day of and got chairbacks but they were way up. The line you have to spread your people out because they lottery pick the starting spot in line so make sure you spread out. First game last year, they were still trying to get people in GA outfield seats into the 4th inning. So glad we upgraded because we would have had to stand in the hot line for hours and miss a good part of the game. Either do the say of tickets early in the morning for ticket lottery or buy chairbacks on third party. There are plenty and decent prices on third party. If I make it back this year, Iíll do that. Midweek games are much easier donít have to worry as much about tickets and the ticket lines in the morning.

Part of the problem last year for the first game is they got behind and didnít have any time before the game to start letting people in. I barely got in the stadium and sat down in a chairback before they started.

It was hot last year. Definitely had hard time finding places to cool off. It was better to go off a few blocks.

We stayed in west Omaha for much cheaper than downtown. We did go downtown to hang out and bar hop. They put on some big parties near the park so check that out

I have a question

I went to Omaha the year we lost UCLA. We didn’t have tickets when we left MS. and lined up at TD Ameritrade stadium ticket office for the first game of the of the championship. These were for chairback seats. We were like number 180 in the line. There were probably 1,800 state fans in the line. Right before they opened the ticket office a official came along and gave everybody in the line a piece of paper with a number on it. After everyone in the line received a number the official came back and announced that by random pick that they were breaking the line at person 120. That everybody from 1-119 were required to go to the back of the line and that everybody from 120 and back moved up. I was lucky and got to purchase 4 tickets. These were terrible seats.

The next day we were more prepared. There were 3 in our group. We spread our group in the line. And again they did the numbering and this day they broke the line like at 420. We had a person in our group at number 460. Again we were able to buy 4 tickets. That morning there was a horrible storm that blew thru downtown and I got soaked standing in the line.

Once we we got to our seats that evening there were people sitting in our seats. I politely asked them to move, the guy pulls out his tickets and he had tickets to the seats. I go get a stadium usher and explain the problem. Others were standing with the usher and they also had seats that had been double sold. The usher got a supervisor to come to where we were. This person had a fan of tickets. She gave two tickets to a couple of people in front of me. They were terrible tickets. I noticed when the lady turned to me that there were 3 tickets in her hand that were 4 rows behind the MSU dugout. I told her I wanted those tickets, she started to say no but I told her after all we had been thru that would be the only tickets I was going to settle for. She gave me the tickets and as they say the rest is history!

The question, last year did anyone stand in the line and did they break the line etc. ??

Definitely good to know to spread out multiple spots. Scalpers do it to and they move through out the line. I kept getting g pissed when the guy in front of us kept going back in the line and then trying to come back to his spot. One guy got pissed when he got out of line and didnít have the right number officials told him he needed to go further back in line with his number.

We messed up first time and all got in line at the same time and place. That was the wrong idea. Definitely have to spread the group out.

Bump

so for the 6:30 start time Sunday

what time do I need to be in General Admission line that day?

Quote Originally Posted by guy from tweeter View Post
    so for the 6:30 start time Sunday

what time do I need to be in General Admission line that day?
    We got in line literally 2 hours before game time, and the 1st game went long, so we were in 3+ hours. We had our kids (8 and 10) so people were cool with us holding a place in line while one parent walked around w/ the kids. And we were about 200 people deep in the line. Just keep an eye on the line, and when it starts getting long, get a spot. Our fans will show up. And if you do park on the NE side of the field, the lot is close to the line. So if you are more prepared than I was last year, you could send someone to get beers from the car while you wait (obviously put it in a cup, like a yeti w/ a cap over it).

In 2013, we stayed about 5-7 miles west of the stadium. It was a good value, and then it was easy to pay $20 to park near the stadium. We ended up staying a week.

Anyone ever played golf in Omaha or have any suggestions on some good public courses?

I went in 2013 and have a few suggestions:

1.) Staying in downtown Omaha is overrated. Stay out a few miles and get a much cheaper place and drive in. You ain't missing much in downtown Omaha.
    2.) We got in the general admission line with a big group and pounded beers for about 3 hours. It was a blast (except for the fact that I had to stand next to John Hevesy and listen to him bitch and complain about us going to piss and getting in and out of line like the cocksucker he is). If you don't have kids with you and you are down for that sort of scene, I highly recommend it. It was a nice time meeting other folks and pregaming. If you have kids and don't want to stand in line all day, get some chairbacks that someone else on here has already told you how to purchase. It's going to be hot, so I don't recommend doing a 3 hour wait in line with young ones.
    3.) There are not many bar scenes in Omaha, but the Mattress factory was fun. It's really close to the stadium.
    4.) If you can afford to fly, do that. That drive is 17'ing awful even when booze cruising.

Be a man and hitchhike all the way to Omaha!

Is it lame to go to Omaha by yourself? Just about every Razorback and State friend I have is unable to make the trip and Iím dying to see this team in Omaha.

With hotel prices the way they are Iím also strongly considering sleeping in my car with a camping sleeping pad lol

Quote Originally Posted by NWADog View Post
    Is it lame to go to Omaha by yourself? Just about every Razorback and State friend I have is unable to make the trip and Iím dying to see this team in Omaha.

With hotel prices the way they are Iím also strongly considering sleeping in my car with a camping sleeping pad lol
    Not at all lame. I'm going to do the same if we win a couple of games. Can't find anybody that can go. To hell with it. Drive and get a cheap AirBnb.

Quote Originally Posted by NWADog View Post

I'm not lying when I say this, but PM me if you need a place. Me and a buddy booked an airbnb that sleeps 4 comfortably. Same spot we stayed last year. Great location, 1.5 miles from the stadium. Our other 2 guys couldn't get off work. If you need a place to crash, and aren't a serial killer, PM me. If you are a serial killer, that's fine, we'll just have you pay a higher pct for the insurance risk.

We fly in Saturday morning from Bham and are there through Wednesday.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post