Thread: CWS trivia

CWS trivia

Without using internet search.
    Can anyone Name the first year the CWS was played?
    What two teams played in the championship?
    Bonus: What famous person played on the team that won it?

Left Field Lofts | Left Field Dumpster Yes | No

1948. Yale beat in a 2 out of 3 series. George Bush played for Yale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdog View Post
    Without using internet search.
    Can anyone Name the first year the CWS was played?
    What two teams played in the championship?
    Bonus: What famous person played on the team that won it?
    1947 in Kalamazoo. Thats all I know.

1947. California beat Yale. I had to look up the famous person who played for Cal.

Patdog got it! No prize! Sorry!
    My dad graduated MSU 49. Hired by Shell oil company and moved to Midland/Odessa Tx. He played in a summer baseball league there. His teammate was George Bush for several summers. I have a old black and photo of the team but I donít know how to post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowdog View Post
    Patdog got it! No prize! Sorry!
    My dad graduated MSU 49. Hired by Shell oil company and moved to Midland/Odessa Tx. He played in a summer baseball league there. His teammate was George Bush for several summers. I have a old black and photo of the team but I donít know how to post it here.
    Pat has the year wrong. The first year was 1947. Bush played on the 48 team.
    CWS HISTORY

The inaugural College World Series was played in 1947 in Kalamazoo, Mich., who hosted again in 1948. The tournament was then moved the following year to Wichita, Kan., and in that same year, former President George H. W. Bush was captain of the Yale baseball team that made the Series.

Quote Originally Posted by West Tn Dawg View Post
    Pat has the year wrong. The first year was 1947. Bush played on the 48 team.
    CWS HISTORY

The inaugural College World Series was played in 1947 in Kalamazoo, Mich., who hosted again in 1948. The tournament was then moved the following year to Wichita, Kan., and in that same year, former President George H. W. Bush was captain of the Yale baseball team that made the Series.
    I stand corrected! Ooops!

So apparently Jake Wimberly (105.9 sports radio host) reads the pack. He used this very trivia question on his show this afternoon to give away gift certificates to Legends Sports Grill.