Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maroon Eagle - Can you explain the USM hate towards us?

You mention this a few times over the years that you have USM ties, and in the other thread you said you got to know many MSU graduates. Rosey mentioned that he has a big USM family and he has never understood the chip on the shoulder towards MSU. Specifically because we have always played them and Ole Miss has not. Seems like they'd see MSU favorably and harbor more hate towards Ole Miss. He says there is always some incident between them and us every time we play in Hattiesburg.

It's even more weird because in general MSU fans are more down to earth. Why do they choose to hate us?

Shame too, because Hattiesburg is a good town with a good economy, and we need more of those in Mississippi (and Mississippi State graduates to move to them).

Starter | Suspended Yes | No

Goat's Selfie:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44b069e5bf527919a22c62fe624b4bf0--daily-affirmations-saturday-night-live.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	13414

9 out of 10 sixpackers like this post

30 Years ago USM, STATE and Ole Miss were pretty much neck and neck in

football and generally in other sports as well. Then came the SEC network and all that wonderful money allowing the towns of Oxford/Starkville and the campuses of Ole Miss and State to take a large step forward. I'd be jealous too.

For what it's worth most USM folks I know dislike Ole Miss much more than State.
    I don't always drink but when I do I become a message board genius**

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

This plus USM's being left behind during the conference realignment more than any other FBS program.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Not ME, but a USM grad who posts occasionally and has lurked for years. I don't see the hate of USM toward MSU from our side. It's actually more along the lines of seeing MSU favorably and hating Ole Miss, because everyone not from Ole Miss should hate Ole Miss. Sure we'd like to come to Starkville and win a football game, who wouldn't? Some of us remember when our program stood toe-to-toe with you guys for a while before the SEC revenue machine kicked in about 15 years ago and y'all left us in the dust. I have a lot of family who are MSU people. We all get along fine. I don't root for you guys to lose, unless you're playing us. Definitely no hatred here. After all, how much hate can 10 fans generate?

12 out of 12 sixpackers like this post

Ole Miss is the aloof big brother**.

MSU is the middle brother who knows how to needle big brother**.

Southern Miss is the baby brother who needles the middle brother too hoping to get the attention of Ole Miss.

MSU knows though that big brother** doesn't care about the baby brother so he plays along with Southern Miss's antics.
    Last edited by Maroon Eagle; 07-11-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Sarcasterisks added for the sarcasm impaired.

2 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

My experience has been the opposite. I know quite a few USM alums who are big Ole Miss fans and I just shake my head and chuckle when I think of them as being wannabes.

I remember the '89 game at Southern Miss. It was pretty heated. Plastic cups being hurled by State students from the upper deck and the Famous Maroon Band playing Florida State's War Chant.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post
    Ole Miss is the aloof big brother.

MSU is the middle brother who knows how to needle big brother.

Southern Miss is the baby brother who needles the middle brother too hoping to get the attention of Ole Miss.

MSU knows though that big brother doesn't care about the baby brother so he plays along with Southern Miss's antics.
    Ole Miss has not been our “big brother” in 30 years. They own the all time winning % over us because of a time period before desegregation. That has nothing to do with anyone’s status in 2019.
    Last edited by campshelbydog842003; 07-11-2019 at 03:02 PM.

LOL. Perhaps I should have sarcasterisked big brother. I thought the comment about needling big brother made my intentions clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post
    Ole Miss is the snotty little brother that imagines itself as the big brother.

MSU is just a brother who is not pretencious but who despises any brother who thinks they are the favorite son in the family.

Southern Miss is the baby brother who stopped growing after the other two brothers started reaching early adulthood.

MSU doesn't mind baby brother all that much. In fact, they kind of feel sorry for them, and there is a slight amount of respect because they don't picture themselves as the favored son. In fact, they wouldn't mind if they grew a little, at least to a young teenager.
    I hope it's ok, but I fixed it for you.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by OneParticularHarbor View Post
    Not ME, but a USM grad who posts occasionally and has lurked for years. I don't see the hate of USM toward MSU from our side. It's actually more along the lines of seeing MSU favorably and hating Ole Miss, because everyone not from Ole Miss should hate Ole Miss. Sure we'd like to come to Starkville and win a football game, who wouldn't? Some of us remember when our program stood toe-to-toe with you guys for a while before the SEC revenue machine kicked in about 15 years ago and y'all left us in the dust. I have a lot of family who are MSU people. We all get along fine. I don't root for you guys to lose, unless you're playing us. Definitely no hatred here. After all, how much hate can 10 fans generate?
    Regional in 17 was pretty damn heated. You could tell they legitimately hated us......which of course made it all the more fun that we pretty much stole the regional from them.

Back when we played USM in Jackson every year (early 80s) I was ringing my cowbell and golden goofball yelled at me "You're on the wrong side".

I said "This is a neutral site, buddy". I don't care what anyone says, there is no "home side" for a game that is at neither campus.

I have disliked them ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by preacher_dawg View Post
    I hope it's ok, but I fixed it for you.
    I don't feel sorry for them. I actually respect them - a lot. If the Metro Conference had gotten off the ground, we'd be in trouble. Also, they are in a very desirable part of the state and if any big economic boom ever happens, it will likely be south MS and the Coast.

The only difference I see in USM and Florida State (similar schools) is that FSU got in a big conference and the population of Florida boomed.

Well, heck, they only have 10 fans. It only stands to reason that we would be sitting on their side of the stadium too.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Holding Inc View Post
    I don't feel sorry for them. I actually respect them - a lot. If the Metro Conference had gotten off the ground, we'd be in trouble. Also, they are in a very desirable part of the state and if any big economic boom ever happens, it will likely be south MS and the Coast.
    I agree with most of this-- I don't think we'd have been in trouble because the SEC is so strong a brand. I'd have loved to seen Metro Conference football in the early 1980s but Florida State had higher aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Humphrey View Post
    This plus USM's being left behind during the conference realignment more than any other FBS program.
    The Hub metro area has around 123K and they can only get 15K to a game. That shit show should have been left out.

3 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

If not for the Generosity of MSU, Mississippi Southern’s athletic department would not exist.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Check your PM's.

I don't get where this so called hate comes from either. I am from Poplarville, so I had to go to Hattiesburg for everything. There are more state, Ole piss and lsu fans there vs usm fans. I think more of the so called anger towards us has dealt with baseball, but I still don't see where this is coming from besides a few media posts. Most usm fans are genuine towards us in my experiences.

This is fake news. The majority of USM fans I know either like State or at the very least have a begrudging sense of respect for State. Maybe the octogenarian USM fans don’t like State, but it’s an extreme minority. Now Ole Miss on the other hand, we hate those bastards.

I agree. they're not even passionate enough to attend home games much less hate somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by 11thEagleFan View Post
    This is fake news. The majority of USM fans I know either like State or at the very least have a begrudging sense of respect for State. Maybe the octogenarian USM fans don’t like State, but it’s an extreme minority. Now Ole Miss on the other hand, we hate those bastards.
    The Landsharks are scared to play USM. With good reason, probably.

That game was a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by thatsbaseball View Post
    I agree. they're not even passionate enough to attend home games much less hate somebody.
    You’re nuts if you think they aren’t passionate. They are much more loyal than their counterparts in surrounding states.

Quote Originally Posted by coach66 View Post
    football and generally in other sports as well. Then came the SEC network and all that wonderful money allowing the towns of Oxford/Starkville and the campuses of Ole Miss and State to take a large step forward. I'd be jealous too.

For what it's worth most USM folks I know dislike Ole Miss much more than State.
    Pretty much every non OM fan dislikes OM. They are just to arrogant to realize it.

The only difference I see in USM and Florida State (similar schools) is that FSU got in a big conference and the population of Florida boomed.
    I feel sorry for them because they pretty much were demolished by factors outside of their control. Ole Miss and Mississippi State baseically had a few decades of incompetence while USM seemed at competent. But they couldn't do anything to take advantage of it because they weren't in the SEC, even though the gaps between the SEC and other conferences weren't as massive then. Then they had the trifecta of the SEC taking off right when MSU got competent leadership and USM had some incompetence (although I'm not sure incompetence is fair; they made some moves out of desperation b/c they knew they were being left out). Even with UM now being in the wilderness, there is zero chance that USM is going to catch them or pass them over any period of time b/c the money and allure of the SEC for recruits makes up for any incompetence of UM..

I know that we all like to moan and groan about SEC bias towards Bama along with all kinds of other crap, but if we’re being honest... the fact that both MSU and OM are even in the SEC is about as lucky as hitting the lottery. Talk about being in the right place at the exactly right damn time

USM is jelly of our Frisbee team. they're natty champs.

And that we werent dumb enough to leave like GT and Tulane

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    I know that we all like to moan and groan about SEC bias towards Bama along with all kinds of other crap, but if we’re being honest... the fact that both MSU and OM are even in the SEC is about as lucky as hitting the lottery. Talk about being in the right place at the exactly right damn time
    nm

While we’re on the topic, can someone remind me as why as recently as 5-6 years ago, all you’d hear from MSU people is “We can’t play USM in football!!! There is absolutely nothing to gain from it, dammit!!!”

I don’t know all the history there, but as a fan, I’ll say that I’d MUCH rather watch a matchup against the buzzards than 17ing Abilene Christian. It just seems like one of those statements than no one really knew why they were saying. They had just heard it enough times that they had to repeat it

That's because they are all LSU fans and Ole Miss is their real rival.**

Quote Originally Posted by GloryDawg View Post
    The Hub metro area has around 123K and they can only get 15K to a game. That shit show should have been left out.
    15k...?
    Went to Marshall game last year and may have been 10-11k there....maybe.

Have a USM friend who said they have a few thousand who stay at their tailgating spots and never come into stadium.
    He said obviously it would help some if they would all come in although not much.

There was a “click bait” story several years ago that specifically showed areas of the country and which college programs were popular. Jones county and Forrest county were Alabama leaning. Go figure.

While we’re on the topic, can someone remind me as why as recently as 5-6 years ago, all you’d hear from MSU people is “We can’t play USM in football!!! There is absolutely nothing to gain from it, dammit!!!”

I don’t know all the history there, but as a fan, I’ll say that I’d MUCH rather watch a matchup against the buzzards than 17ing Abilene Christian. It just seems like one of those statements than no one really knew why they were saying. They had just heard it enough times that they had to repeat it
    If they ever beat us, you will understand.

Were you around in the 80s? And don't say losing to them in baseball in 2018 wasn't bad, because it was. But baseball is another animal entirely than football.

Quote Originally Posted by fedxdog View Post
    There was a “click bait” story several years ago that specifically showed areas of the country and which college programs were popular. Jones county and Forrest county were Alabama leaning. Go figure.
    That's kind of an underlying point of this thread. MSU could make up some SERIOUS ground in south MS, from Natchez across to Lucedale. 84 and 98 corridors in other words. A lot of fans could be gained in this area, it's underutilized, and it's growing.

Because ten years ago it was more or less accurate. Now that we've had competent management for a while and the SEC TV money has had time to have an effect, giving USM an lifeline doesn't matter. And even if we pulled a south alabama against them, although it'd be embarrassing, it wouldn't really change anything. IN hindsight, it probably wouldn't have mattered ten years ago either b/c the SEC money was already going to more or less make USM irrelevant, but it would have given USM a chance to slow their descent.

I don't think this is that unusual.... at all.

I lurk on a number of boards from time to time and G5 schools almost universally hate the P5 schools in their state. ULL/Tulane/LaTech fans hate LSU, Memphis/MTSU fans hate Tennessee, Marshall fans hate WVU, etc. USM fans hating State isn't that odd, especially when you consider that the programs have a long history of playing, though obviously the bulk of that was several decades ago.

mentioned that he has a big USM family and he has never understood the chip on the shoulder towards MSU. Specifically because we have always played them and Ole Miss has not. Seems like they'd see MSU favorably and harbor more hate towards Ole Miss.
    There's some of this. While there may be resentment, a lot of USM fans do have some respect for State because you guys will play us in pretty much all of the sports. We've played football in the recent past and of course have the 3 games coming up over the next few years. There was a basketball series that I believe was a 4 or 5 year deal at the Mississippi Coliseum but we backed out of it for some reason. Our new coach is an old school USM guy and has said that he wants to work with Howland and Davis on some kind of series in hoops. And then the baseball home/home these past 2 seasons.

It's even more weird because in general MSU fans are more down to earth. Why do they choose to hate us?
    Many USM fans group both fanbases in the same category (generally as a bunch of arrogant, elitist a-holes from Jackson and North Mississippi). They view State (and OM) in the same light that you guys view OM. That's not all USM fans that they think like that. But some.

You’re nuts if you think they aren’t passionate. They are much more loyal than their counterparts in surrounding states.
    USM has a very passionate fan base. Like you said, much more passionate/loyal than other G5 schools in other states. There just ain't a bunch of us, especially post-AAC realignment when all of our old rivals left (coupled with the Ellis Johnson disaster and the ensuing rebuild). When Fedora was here, we had some of the highest attendance outside the BCS/P5. Now we're middle of the pack, maybe even in the bottom 1/2, in the G5 support wise with about 12-14k actual people at each home game.

There's an old/young split. The older fans hate Ole Miss more because they remember the games from the 70s and early 80s. Plus largely Ole Miss-led efforts to hurt USM through the IHL board many, many years ago. For the most part, the younger fans tend to dislike State more. That's because we haven't really played Ole Miss in much of anything recently aside from some midweek baseball games and a basketball series that Eustachy and Kennedy agreed to over a decade ago. There's been a lot more competition between USM/State with football games, couple hoops games, and several battles in baseball over the last 8-9 years. I will say that MSU fans outnumber OM by a decent bit in South Mississippi, so there is more interaction between USM/MSU than there is USM/OM fans.

USM's fanbase skews old, so I bet if you polled, Ole Miss would be the winner here.

Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegas Steve View Post
    Regional in 17 was pretty damn heated. You could tell they legitimately hated us......which of course made it all the more fun that we pretty much stole the regional from them.
    [mentions 2017 Hattiesburg Regional]

Name:  474.gif
Views: 971
Size:  133.0 KB

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

little bro syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by wpmusm View Post
    I lurk on a number of boards from time to time and G5 schools almost universally hate the P5 schools in their state. ULL/Tulane/LaTech fans hate LSU, Memphis/MTSU fans hate Tennessee, Marshall fans hate WVU, etc.
    Yeah I guess I could see that regarding ULL, Tulane and La Tech, but seems like a lot of them double as LSU fans. I wish USM fans would do that for MSU, I would certainly return the favor. I want to pull for Southern but their fans won't allow it.

In Alabama, you would not even know the UAB or Troy fans. They all double as Bammers or Aubs. South has more of a loyal following, I guess because they are so detached.

Speaking of Memphis, seems like they hate Ole Miss much more than Tennessee, maybe because Memphis is such an Ole Miss dominated city? Who knows.