Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cord Cutting... but I want to watch State football and live outside of MS

I know there have been plenty of cord cutting threads, but does anyone have recommendations on what a guy in Virginia should go with if I want to watch college football, specifically state?

From what i've read, it sounds like Hulu Live may be the best option since you get ESPN channels and potentially have local channels.
    Hail State, Braves, Panthers, Liverpool

Starter | Suspended Yes | No

Hulu live and espn app both work for me. Hulu wont travel though. I get the slight bit out of my area and it denies my login.

I think your cheapest option would be Sling Orange version and their Sports Pack added on, should be about $35 from what I remember. I've got Hulu Live and it's $44.99

Been here in SD for 3 years. They donít carry SEC network up here, so Sling is the way to go, like the previous poster said.

Can you DVR anything on Hulu?

YouTube TV has SEC Network and several ESPNs. Also unlimited DVR.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

For what itís worth, Amazon has a 4K fire stick on sale for $25 right now, and it comes with a $45 Sling credit.

Deal runs out after today though for anyone interested

PS Vue and never look back

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaDawg View Post
    I know there have been plenty of cord cutting threads, but does anyone have recommendations on what a guy in Virginia should go with if I want to watch college football, specifically state?

From what i've read, it sounds like Hulu Live may be the best option since you get ESPN channels and potentially have local channels.
    its quite impressive

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

For you YouTube TV guys....what speed internet are you running? Anything faster than the run-of-the-mill basic cable company plan?
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst

YouTube TV for the win

Quote Originally Posted by LTblows View Post
    YouTube TV has SEC Network and several ESPNs. Also unlimited DVR.
    There is no better option that YouTube TV. It has all the sports and local channels and unlimited DVR and itís affordable and it never messes up with normal internet speeds. Itís the best.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Yes, but only up to 50 hrs worth I think but I've never used it and have had it over a year. Sling also has Cloud DVR if you go that route (never used it either) and they both have local channels included. Hulu has announced a new interface coming out any day so you may want to wait a little while. Sling has some freebies right now too. You can get a free Roku, or a free antenna, or a free air tv device, etc if you sign up and prepay 3 months. Sling was a bit buggy when I had it but I think it was partly my crappy internet service in Starkville (MaxxSouth, or MaxxSUCK as its better known here). Hulu had a few more channels my wife wanted so that's why we changed in the first place. If I could get just ESPN and SEC Network somehow a la carte I would drop Hulu Live though and go w/ just their $5.99/mo service. It's funny, when I had cable or satellite I watched a ton of tv. Once I cut the cord and got away from it a little, I watch way less now than ever but its nice to have it for the sports when I want it. It saved me about $88/month 4 years ago when I first did it, no telling how much that has gone up since then, sure it would be a lot more savings now.
    The poster formerly known as: dawgebag

Another vote for Youtube TV. Runs great on my Cable Internet plan. I get locals and all the ESPN channels and SEC Network. Unlimited DVR. Travels well as long as you log in to your home area every 3 months or less. Costs 53 bucks a month. My only drawback is it doesn't have the History Channel. That may or may not be a deal breaker for some.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Live in Baton Rouge and got sling with sports package (extra $5) and have never missed a state game. Has entire espn platform and can use sling to create a espn account. Sling is also very mobile. Often set up game outside with use of roku or on my phone. Sling will also give you a roku if you sign up. Only negative is you wonít be able to get cbs but donít have to worry about state and cbs this year. I catch my local channels free with cheap antenna.

FYI

Disney Corp. owns HULU, and all that "that" implies.

I suspect I'll be headed that way before long.
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

Another vote for YouTube TV.

Best interface, good price, has most all the right channels and locals. I run it on Roku and Xbox. I didn't miss an MSU game last year with YouTube TV and the ESPN app

Travels really well, use it on your phone, computer or wherever else you go.

It may be somewhat limited what devices you can run it on, as Firestick didn't support to it, but I think that changed recently.

Have had Comcast, Dish, Directv, Playstation Vue, and now Youtube TV.

Youtube TV hands down over the others. I had a promo and upgraded internet connection to gig speed, but I had normal speed before and it worked fine. If you can't find a device that supports the app, I suggest getting a $35 chromecast (sometimes they throw in one for free if you sign up for youtube tv) as long as you own a smartphone. With that device you can cast to your TV from the app on your phone. Your phone becomes your remote so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell Dawg View Post
    Live in Baton Rouge and got sling with sports package (extra $5) and have never missed a state game. Has entire espn platform and can use sling to create a espn account. Sling is also very mobile. Often set up game outside with use of roku or on my phone. Sling will also give you a roku if you sign up. Only negative is you wonít be able to get cbs but donít have to worry about state and cbs this year. I catch my local channels free with cheap antenna.
    Without CBS I'd miss all the Alabama football games.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Just read an article the other day about how unbelievably complicated this is all going to get in the coming years.

Apparently, Disney will be pulling all of its Pixar, Marvel, etc content from Netflix and such so that it can put it all on its upcoming Disney Plus streaming service. Then, all the NBC content will also be pulled so that it can be packaged with HBO Max streaming. I assume theyíre owned by the same parent. Not to mention that Apple is about to launch its own service

Competition is great, but man... there are about to be about a dozen different options that could all make a case for being bought

I live in Falls Church. The best/ cheapest option Iíve found is Sling plus the sports package. I have never missed a state game that I wanted to watch.

I just went Hulu for baseball season and it worked great $50/month with no commercials. Will be in NYC next week will try the app and see but I don't recall a issue and but not sure I tried it just do not remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Hulu live and espn app both work for me. Hulu wont travel though. I get the slight bit out of my area and it denies my login.

For anyone this helps, I run YouTube tv nearly flawlessly on DSL. Itís so slow Googleís speed test often indicates I shouldnít be able to stream.

Not sure if this has been addressed before, but how does Sling, Hulu, etc. work on multiple televisions? Besides the den, I have a patio tv we prefer when the weather is cooler (I live in Texas). Right now, I still have DirecTV with multiple IR boxes going through a tuner for surround sound and external speakers, so I can have a different game on different televisions with great sound. I'm curious if I could cut the dish without giving up the premium sound.

Quote Originally Posted by AllbyMyRelf View Post
    I live in Falls Church. The best/ cheapest option Iíve found is Sling plus the sports package. I have never missed a state game that I wanted to watch.
    This has been my route the past few seasons as well. Sling's gone up a little in price recently, but it's still only $35 ($25 for the base "Orange" package and $10 for the sports add on). With that you get the entire ESPN family of networks, the SEC Network (and the SEC Network's alternate channel), and access to the WatchESPN app where you can watch all the games on demand after they're over. (You also get Bein and the Pac-12 Network, among other random sports channels.) Not having access to the Fox Sports channels is I guess lame, but honestly, my football TV time is so limited these days that it wouldn't matter if I had them. Just carving out 3 or 4 hours each Saturday for the State games on one of the ESPN channels is hard enough.

Sling doesn't get you local channels, so if that's a must and you're unwilling to get an HD antenna for those -- I've got a random $35 one from WalMart that does just fine -- you should probably opt for a different service.

Twitter
    @fishwater99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienfield View Post
    Without CBS I'd miss all the Alabama football games.
    CBS is over the air for free.

So at $44.95 Hulu you get you can watch on 2 devices at once. For an extra $14.95/month you can watch HULU on 100(or as many as you want).

Quote Originally Posted by cajunken View Post
    Not sure if this has been addressed before, but how does Sling, Hulu, etc. work on multiple televisions? Besides the den, I have a patio tv we prefer when the weather is cooler (I live in Texas). Right now, I still have DirecTV with multiple IR boxes going through a tuner for surround sound and external speakers, so I can have a different game on different televisions with great sound. I'm curious if I could cut the dish without giving up the premium sound.

YouTube tv.
    We can have 3 tv’s streaming at the same time with no issues. My avg download speed is 230mbs.
    I do have the eero mesh systems which was expensive but is awesome. Zero issues.

I appreciate all of the responses.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 912
Size:  3.69 MB

UPDATE: I cancelled DirecTV and now just have to make the decision on streaming before the season starts.

No cancellation fee either! It was costing me around $130 a month ... then I had to get internet through the local cable which was another $80.

UPDATE: I cancelled DirecTV and now just have to make the decision on streaming before the season starts.

No cancellation fee either! It was costing me around $130 a month ... then I had to get internet through the local cable which was another $80.
    Another vote for YouTube TV. The others have mentioned the perks. The fact YouTube is a subsidiary of Google is just added confidence that I’m getting the best streaming service.
    Last edited by Dawg007; 07-21-2019 at 07:58 AM.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I cut the cord last week. Was spending 305 per month on Comcast internet, cable and phone. Now, with c-spire fiber and YouTube tv Iím down to $150 month.

You tube tv is great, but running it on an amazon fire stick requires downloading 3 different apps. All this after Google and Amazon have a supposedly called a truce.
    Iíd recommend a Roku platform with YouTube Tv.

Must haves at my house are HLN, QVC(wife lives David Venables), The Food Networks and Hallmark channels along with all the Sports Channels required to watch college sports, Fox News, Fox Business, One America News, and all 3 networks on local + Fox.

Which one can give me all that?

Iíve got Hulu and prime video. Works pretty good for me. For those worrying about traveling w Hulu.... I have Apple TV and if I try and travel w the Apple TV and log into Hulu I have to burn one of the 4 relocation log ins. You get 4 per year I believe. But I learned that if use the app on my phone and mirror it to my Apple TV it doesnít ask me to log in, this not using one of the four. The Apple TV is expensive tho. I use it for work presentations a lot, so itís worth the cost to me. Probably not for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    Just read an article the other day about how unbelievably complicated this is all going to get in the coming years.

Apparently, Disney will be pulling all of its Pixar, Marvel, etc content from Netflix and such so that it can put it all on its upcoming Disney Plus streaming service. Then, all the NBC content will also be pulled so that it can be packaged with HBO Max streaming. I assume they’re owned by the same parent. Not to mention that Apple is about to launch its own service

Competition is great, but man... there are about to be about a dozen different options that could all make a case for being bought
    I think eventually Netflix is going to devolve back into a niche service for only its original content. They have an insane amount of debt right now, and a major slowdown in new subscribers that is killing their stock price and future outlook. Whether anyone will still pay the current $16 per month for it for the 4K content in that scenario remains to be seen. I personally don’t watch very much Netflix that isn’t their original shows though, there is better content on both Prime and Hulu in many cases. The only thing preventing the above from happening is for them to either file bankruptcy or get bought out by an Apple, Amazon, etc. Either way, it’s hard to see them pulling out of the spot they are currently in on their own.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 07-20-2019 at 04:34 PM.

So now it's $80 plus $35 at $115. Compared to $130. Big savings of $15/month. Worth it?

Sounds like he picked up some internet that he did not have (broadband).

Yes, their stock took a major hit this week

Decrease in the number of new subscribers. % wise, (did not say how many just did not renew, after the price increase)

And they lost some of their key shows,

But, I suspect the real problem is the increased competition, coming out of the woodwork.

Relatively new industry. And they are playing against some Big Players.

Iím not an economist, so tfwiw ...

If people were willing to pay $x per month, I think at some point, this is all going to shake out where weíre paying $x/month again ó maybe slightly happier with what weíre paying for. Maybe. The lower fees are temporary. Just my prediction.
    Last edited by turkish; 07-20-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Sports wise , as soon as ESPN thinks they have the upper hand again

they will kick us in the cods.

Gotta pay for that Long Horn Network.

That's about all I would save at current rates. Not worth it to me. I've done the cord cutting thing and it's ok but the consistency(lack of down time) of cable is worth a little more to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Allday View Post
    I cut the cord last week. Was spending 305 per month on Comcast internet, cable and phone. Now, with c-spire fiber and YouTube tv Iím down to $150 month.

You tube tv is great, but running it on an amazon fire stick requires downloading 3 different apps. All this after Google and Amazon have a supposedly called a truce.
    Iíd recommend a Roku platform with YouTube Tv.
    you should have done some negotiating. Iíve never paid more than 160 for Comcast bundle with tv, internet, and security. Just recently dropped security and now babe internet and tv for 141 a month.