Is there a pattern in Cohenís hiring?

I look at personality traits of Moorhead and Lemonis. They are more introverted and cerebral than loud, intense, extroverted. That approach may work in baseball but not when you have to instill confidence and discipline and ďwillĒ your team to victory in a football game.
    Perhaps the IB wants to hire coaches that have an agreeable, passive yes man chemistry than a coach with passion.
    Iím not down on Cohen, just curious if others find merit in this observation?

3 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Chef Pruitt | Coach Pruitt Yes | No

Well they both are polar opposites to his first hire, Cannizzaro. May be something to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Allday View Post
    I look at personality traits of Moorhead and Lemonis. They are more introverted and cerebral than loud, intense, extroverted. That approach may work in baseball but not when you have to instill confidence and discipline and “will” your team to victory in a football game.
    Perhaps the IB wants to hire coaches that have an agreeable, passive yes man chemistry than a coach with passion.
    I’m not down on Cohen, just curious if others find merit in this observation?
    Never really seen it that way. I mean, he was instrumental in finding Mullen, remember that.

He wanted a super recruiter in baseball, because we are an attractive program. You have to maximize your strengths. Pretty much any coach can win if you have big time players. That's all Nick Saban really is. Cannizaro was also considered a super recruiter. It's obvious that's what he wanted.

In football, he wanted an offensive innovator, and Moorhead has the credentials. It doesn't get much deeper than that.

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I hate Saban as much as the next guy but saying all he is is a super recruiter is a joke. Everything that is Bama football is because of Saban. He is Bama football. Take him away and Bama returns to being the Bama they're supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG61 View Post
    I hate Saban as much as the next guy but saying all he is is a super recruiter is a joke. Everything that is Bama football is because of Saban. He is Bama football. Take him away and Bama returns to being the Bama they're supposed to be.
    He's also an outstanding fundamentals coach. I mean, that's what he is. So yeah.

I'm not saying this like it's some easy thing to do. Being an elite recruiter is the single most important thing in college sports. If a coach has that skill, he most likely has the ability to gain buy-in and is able to instill confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG61 View Post
    ITake him away and Bama returns to being the Bama they're supposed to be.
    Which is what? A mere 3 national championships per decade instead of five?

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

ďNever really seen it that way. I mean, he was instrumental in finding Mullen, remember that.Ē

No.. they both started coaching at MSU in 2009. Cohen May have sat in on some interviews but to say he ďfoundĒ Mullen? I donít remember that. My point is, Iím not convinced Cohen would put up with a passionate coach again after Mullen and Cannizarro. Unless his hand is forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Allday View Post
    “Never really seen it that way. I mean, he was instrumental in finding Mullen, remember that.”

No.. they both started coaching at MSU in 2009. Cohen May have sat in on some interviews but to say he “found” Mullen? I don’t remember that. My point is, I’m not convinced Cohen would put up with a passionate coach again after Mullen and Cannizarro.
    Well, you are wrong, on all points. Cohen and Mullen had a great relationship. Cohen tried very hard to keep him.

0 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

The Alabama that had 1 national title in 30 years before Saban won his first there.

Saban is Darth Vader with a death choke on everything Bama football. Nobody dares to fail him. I'm not sure which is more impressive about him, his coaching or his never ending Napoleons.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    The Alabama that had 1 national title in 30 years before Saban won his first there.
    That's who Alabama is "supposed" to be? That may be who we want them to be, but I dont think that is their destiny.

And he definitely had passion.

Or so we heard...

Thatís who they were the day they hired Nick Saban. Thatís just a fact.

Nope, Byrne took Cohen to the interview in Atlanta, Cohen didn't "find him". And Stricklin MAY have tried to keep him, but Cohen?

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by the peeper View Post
    Nope, Byrne took Cohen to the interview in Atlanta, Cohen didn't "find him". And Stricklin MAY have tried to keep him, but Cohen?
    I mean how do you even respond to this level of ignorance

So, you're saying while Greg Byrne and then Stricklin both were our AD, Cohen was calling the shots? Cohen was making Byrne look so good he went to AZ then Bama, and then made Strick look so good he got the FL gig? What are you smoking?

Strick tried to keep Mullen the last few years he was here. Whether he actually had any success or it was nobody really wanted him is the argument. The last year here, nobody was keeping him here whether he went to TN, FL, or wherever was there only question.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Returns to what bama football is suppose to be?
    Can you elaborate in normal down to earth human talk?

Saban has never been shy about saying recruiting the best players is the largest factor in success on the field.
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst