Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 97
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    Just listened, I agree with Hadad on a few things and disagree on others (so pretty much the norm). The comment about us having a smart, supposedly organized coach but not a smart or organized team was pretty spot on. I do think Hadad's comments about the QB position are a little off base and don't take into effect how big of a difference the Stevens injury makes. And we can't really be that innovative on offense when you're having to play a freshman that simply isn't ready yet. There are quite a few things about our QB room that Joe really can't help right now.

    Stevens - has looked good when healthy, but unfortunately is not healthy right now
    KT - not a good fit for this offense, quit on his team a week before the season, also supposedly not healthy right now
    Mayden - still just a freshman and also involved in tutorgate
    Shrader - Tough as nails, but still a true freshman that's really raw and would be redshirting if we could count on the other backups in the QB room at all

    I also thought the harping on the QB rushing yards was silly. Two of our three touchdowns were on QB runs and Shrader had almost 100 yards on over 8 YPC. The bigger issue is that without a healthy Stevens were are not a good passing team right now. But again, I think it's reasonable to expect the offense to not be as good when your starting QB is injured and you're having to play a true freshman backup. Joe's not doing a perfect coaching job, but I also don't think people are acknowledging that he's been dealt a really tough hand with injuries and suspensions and we're less than a month into the season.
    i just can't agree with his. He was hired as an offensive savant and genius. if all he can do is his three plays, then why did we hire him. figure it out. draw some sstuff up that will work for what he can do. earn that pay check.


    2 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by 8dog View Post
    And we bunched formations to help them
    this. we do not spread the field horizontally at all and use the whole field. We could run the football a little better if we would use some side to side motion with receivers. look at what the Cowboys are doing with more this year. using the qb's legs. spread defenses out horizontally. using motion to confuse the defense and figure out what they are doing. using receivers in the run game and zone read! that is real innovation and genius. not what we are doing.


    1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  3. #43
    $altyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    In limbo
    Posts
    456
    Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    In 2013 we started off 7-0, then won 1 more game the entire rest of the year.
    I think you meant 2012. We started out 2013 by losing to OK State in Houston.
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

    J_e M__rhead - Where's the O?


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  4. #44
    Defensive Coordinator Shamoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10,721
    i have a really hard time seeing KT being a cancer. he put in his time for years, got shafted in the last minute (from his perspective), and made an emotional decision that he regretted to some degree. he doesnt strike me as a "me first" guy in the least. he seems more pissed and disappointed. he is a # 2 qb on this team with a healthy stevens, but no reason not to play him with the game on the line. if he was so dangerous, he shouldnt be with the team.


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    i just can't agree with his. He was hired as an offensive savant and genius. if all he can do is his three plays, then why did we hire him. figure it out. draw some sstuff up that will work for what he can do. earn that pay check.
    We're playing a true freshman at QB who was never expected to have a meaningful role this year. If you can't accept that this particular situation is going to cause your offense to have some inherent limitations, there's no pleasing you. Our two three and outs in the 4th quarter were caused by a really bad drop by Zuber and a poor throw to a wide open receiver on the much talked about 3rd and 2 play. The playcalling wasn't the issue in those situations, we had guys in the right position to move the chains, but we simply did not execute.

    I get that Joe is responsible for everything in the program but I mean come on, let's be realistic here. Guys have to make plays, too. Playcalling wasn't perfect but we had many instances of well designed plays where receivers were open and we couldn't complete the pass because the throw wasn't good or the guy simply didn't catch the ball.


    3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogg31 View Post
    I think people forget that it took Mullen some time to learn on the job here as well. Yes, we had the early Gator Bowl year in 2010, which was awesome, but there were even people then that said he did it with Croomís recruits (of all things)...

    Then in 2011 and 2013 we entered the Egg Bowl at 5-6 and went on to finish 7-6 both times.

    In 2013 we started off 7-0, then won 1 more game the entire rest of the year.

    I guarantee you that if you read this board from back then there were people calling for his head that whole time. Glad we hung in there.

    Programs that allow coaches time to build ALMOST always come out ahead.

    Programs that coach-hop habitually seem to always end up at the bottom. See: Tennessee, Ole Miss.
    Apples to Oranges comparison as Mullen followed the Sherill collapse/Croom disaster. JoMo followed the Mullen revival including an 8 win team with virtually everybody back and THE best defense in school history. Mullen got a lot more leeway and deservedly so. JoMo gets less leeway and again, deservedly so.


    1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  7. #47
    It was a good pod other than the comments about Shrader/Stevens. Almost everyone wants a healthy Stevens over Shrader at this point. Joel did a good job of checking Hadad on this point.


    1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  8. #48
    Doesnít Like Tennessee
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,094
    Good point and Iíll agree 100% with that. I will also add that Mullen played the hardest schedule in the nation that first season, so we knew he had his hands full.

    Iím thinking more of the sentiment in 2011 when we were 5-6 after getting drilled 44-17 by Arkansas and then in 2012 when we started 7-0, then had this stretch:

    Bama loss - 38-7
    TAMU loss - 38-13
    LSU loss - 37-17
    Arky win - 45-14
    OleMiss loss - 41-24
    Northwestern loss - 34-20

    I just remember a lot of folks wanting Mullen gone so we could hire the next hot guy, whoever that was at the time.


    4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogg31 View Post
    Good point and Iíll agree 100% with that. I will also add that Mullen played the hardest schedule in the nation that first season, so we knew he had his hands full.

    Iím thinking more of the sentiment in 2011 when we were 5-6 after getting drilled 44-17 by Arkansas and then in 2012 when we started 7-0, then had this stretch:

    Bama loss - 38-7
    TAMU loss - 38-13
    LSU loss - 37-17
    Arky win - 45-14
    OleMiss loss - 41-24
    Northwestern loss - 34-20

    I just remember a lot of folks wanting Mullen gone so we could hire the next hot guy, whoever that was at the time.
    There are times that Mullen crapped the bed. There were times that we all were frustrated. There's no question about that.

    The culture of the program was different though. When we had bad losses under Mullen, it was typically because we had uneven talent due to his recruiting shortcomings or he was checked out looking for another job. But his teams played hard. Heck, screw playing hard. His teams knew how to generally line up and be in position to make a play.

    Right now we look like a rudderless ship as a football program, and there is little evidence that there is a plan forward.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogg31 View Post
    Good point and I’ll agree 100% with that. I will also add that Mullen played the hardest schedule in the nation that first season, so we knew he had his hands full.

    I’m thinking more of the sentiment in 2011 when we were 5-6 after getting drilled 44-17 by Arkansas and then in 2012 when we started 7-0, then had this stretch:

    Bama loss - 38-7
    TAMU loss - 38-13
    LSU loss - 37-17
    Arky win - 45-14
    OleMiss loss - 41-24
    Northwestern loss - 34-20

    I just remember a lot of folks wanting Mullen gone so we could hire the next hot guy, whoever that was at the time.
    There's always going to be Ebbs and Flows with our program. Mullen had equity built in with what he had accomplished. JoMo has no equity. JoMo inherited the best defense in the country and lost 5 games. JoMo has already lost 4 games as the favorite when Mullen only lost 5 in his entire career here. No one really wanted Mullen gone until he started job hunting every year around the Egg Bowl.

    We need a coach at MSU that can win with equal or less talent than the teams we play. I'm not seeing that from Joe. He's having a hard time winning when we have more talent. For the life of me I can't understand why Cohen valued an offensive coordinator more than a head coach at a place like Troy who proved he could win big games like winning at LSU.


    6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    There's always going to be Ebbs and Flows with our program. Mullen had equity built in with what he had accomplished. JoMo has no equity. JoMo inherited the best defense in the country and lost 5 games. JoMo has already lost 4 games as the favorite when Mullen only lost 5 in his entire career here. No one really wanted Mullen gone until he started job hunting every year around the Egg Bowl.

    We need a coach at MSU that can win with equal or less talent than the teams we play. I'm not seeing that from Joe. He's having a hard time winning when we have more talent. For the life of me I can't understand why Cohen valued an offensive coordinator more than a head coach at a place like Troy who proved he could win big games like winning at LSU.
    Man, this is a really great post.


    3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  12. #52
    that's it right there.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  13. #53
    i agree there will be issues with a freshmen QB; however, we hired an offensive guru. you have a stud running back. shrader is a pretty good runner. drop something up they can do. We beat this team last year running it down their throat. If KT isn't hurt then we are doing a disservice not giving him a shot at coming in and trying something. If he is hurt, then that is excusable. Tommy obviously can't go and needs to sit until he is. Shrader is tough is nails and has been impressive for a freshmen. He just isn't read yet.

    I'm just going off our coach being a tabbed as an offensive mind. Got to figure it out and score points.


    0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It was a good pod other than the comments about Shrader/Stevens. Almost everyone wants a healthy Stevens over Shrader at this point. Joel did a good job of checking Hadad on this point.
    Yep, I definitely disagreed with some of the comments about Schrader/Stevens. Schrader is going to be a very good QB in time, maybe even great, but its obvious he is not ready right now to make all the reads you have to make in the Moorhead offense against a quality defense. Schrader ran the ball in situations he should not have because he was getting flustered in his decision making. A healthy Stevens is night and day better than Schrader at this time on running this offense properly but Stevens can't help us if his shoulder is too banged up to make an accurate throw.

    Also, can someone explain to me why Thompson wants to be redshirted? What does it matter unless he plans on being a grad transfer next year? He has one year to redshirt of the 3 years he has left so if he uses that redshirt year this year with us and has to sit out somewhere next year via transfer then sitting out burns a year of eligibility anyway and he goes a full 2 years without playing any meaningful football. I guess he either thinks he can be a grad transfer, is going to transfer down to FCS, OR thinks he can somehow get a hardship waiver from the NCAA for there to be any thought of him redshirting here at MSU this year. Got to be more to the story.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  15. #55
    Man I wish we could pull some threads up from 2 years ago about how we could never win big games because our go to play was QB draw and Mullen would never gets us over the hump due to lackluster recruiting and a predictable offense


    2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yep, I definitely disagreed with some of the comments about Schrader/Stevens. Schrader is going to be a very good QB in time, maybe even great, but its obvious he is not ready right now to make all the reads you have to make in the Moorhead offense against a quality defense. Schrader ran the ball in situations he should not have because he was getting flustered in his decision making. A healthy Stevens is night and day better than Schrader at this time on running this offense properly but Stevens can't help us if his shoulder is too banged up to make an accurate throw.

    Also, can someone explain to me why Thompson wants to be redshirted? What does it matter unless he plans on being a grad transfer next year? He has one year to redshirt of the 3 years he has left so if he uses that redshirt year this year with us and has to sit out somewhere next year via transfer then sitting out burns a year of eligibility anyway and he goes a full 2 years without playing any meaningful football. I guess he either thinks he can be a grad transfer, is going to transfer down to FCS, OR thinks he can somehow get a hardship waiver from the NCAA for there to be any thought of him redshirting here at MSU this year. Got to be more to the story.
    It only works if he graduates early, IMO. Else he should have gotten out before this year.

    The issue that no one wants to admit, is that there was no one beating down his door.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  17. #57
    KT has either graduated or is going to graduate this year. So he can enter the transfer portal after the season and have 2 years of immediate eligibility.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    It makes no sense to me. If you're not going to play him, why did you even ask him not to transfer in the first place?
    He didnít. He told him if he found the right opportunity he should go, but if not he should stay at least through the season. He likely also made a handshake deal with him that if he kept his nose to the grindstone that he would preserve his redshirt and help him find a good landing spot after the season.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    i agree there will be issues with a freshmen QB; however, we hired an offensive guru. you have a stud running back. shrader is a pretty good runner. drop something up they can do. We beat this team last year running it down their throat. If KT isn't hurt then we are doing a disservice not giving him a shot at coming in and trying something. If he is hurt, then that is excusable. Tommy obviously can't go and needs to sit until he is. Shrader is tough is nails and has been impressive for a freshmen. He just isn't read yet.

    I'm just going off our coach being a tabbed as an offensive mind. Got to figure it out and score points.
    Kylin and Shrader had over 34 carries and 193 yards between the two of them (6 YPC). I feel like that's a pretty good usage of them in the running game. And K-State is clearly a better team than they were a year ago. We couldn't complete passes with our starting QB playing injured and his backup still being really raw as a passer. To me that's the biggest reason why we couldn't move the ball, not playcalling.

    I don't even disagree that Joe hasn't shown us that he's an offensive wizard up to this point. But I think the personnel limitations are certainly a significant piece of the puzzle. I know the competitions wasn't great the first two weeks but we had no problems moving the ball when Stevens was healthy and looked much crisper in the passing game. Other than 6 quarters to start this season, Joe has never had a QB who is an accurate passer when healthy since he's been here. It's fine to be skeptical that his offense may never work here, but I don't think that can be said definitively yet.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    KT has either graduated or is going to graduate this year. So he can enter the transfer portal after the season and have 2 years of immediate eligibility.
    KT is just now entering the first semester of his true JR year so pretty impressive if he completes his degree in 3 years even with taking some summer courses.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  21. #61
    Good post...hard to argue with


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  22. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    There's always going to be Ebbs and Flows with our program. Mullen had equity built in with what he had accomplished. JoMo has no equity. JoMo inherited the best defense in the country and lost 5 games. JoMo has already lost 4 games as the favorite when Mullen only lost 5 in his entire career here. No one really wanted Mullen gone until he started job hunting every year around the Egg Bowl.

    We need a coach at MSU that can win with equal or less talent than the teams we play. I'm not seeing that from Joe. He's having a hard time winning when we have more talent. For the life of me I can't understand why Cohen valued an offensive coordinator more than a head coach at a place like Troy who proved he could win big games like winning at LSU.
    I think there's some truth to this, but to play devil's advocate, Moorhead did have head coaching experience (at an FCS school, I know) and turned a losing program into one of the better ones in the FCS while he was there. Also had an upset win over an FBS team (it was a bad Army team, but still, FCS over FBS upsets are notable). I think it's easy to say "why didn't we hire Neal Brown?" in hindsight, and he probably would've done fine here, but at the time Moorhead was considered to be an equal or better option by most experts on the issue. Troy beating LSU that year was a big deal, but they then turned around and lost to South Alabama the next week while scoring 8 points at home.

    Just don't think it's a cut and dry issue. Brown might have been a better hire, but I don't think you can say that for sure at this juncture.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  23. #63
    Message Board Hero 8dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,303
    He got here in Jan of 2017 so he is a semester ahead.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  24. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    i agree there will be issues with a freshmen QB; however, we hired an offensive guru. you have a stud running back. shrader is a pretty good runner. drop something up they can do. We beat this team last year running it down their throat. If KT isn't hurt then we are doing a disservice not giving him a shot at coming in and trying something. If he is hurt, then that is excusable. Tommy obviously can't go and needs to sit until he is. Shrader is tough is nails and has been impressive for a freshmen. He just isn't read yet.

    I'm just going off our coach being a tabbed as an offensive mind. Got to figure it out and score points.
    LOL at all this offensive mind crap. That's AD speak. The offense runs with a healthy Tommy Stevens. Without him, it doesn't. Shrader will be good, but like you said, he's a freshman and isn't ready.

    For better or worse, that's what Cohen hired - an offensive system. I think you and I would agree that Mullen was more of a moldable coach. But even he could not overcome overall talent. I don't know that the offensive system approach will work, but I'm willing to try it.


    0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  25. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin Out Yo Wife View Post
    LOL at all this offensive mind crap. That's AD speak. The offense runs with a healthy Tommy Stevens. Without him, it doesn't. Shrader will be good, but like you said, he's a freshman and isn't ready.

    For better or worse, that's what Cohen hired - an offensive system. I think you and I would agree that Mullen was more of a moldable coach. But even he could not overcome overall talent. I don't know that the offensive system approach will work, but I'm willing to try it.
    You are moving the goalposts if you think Jomo's reputation as an offensive mind is just "AD speak." It's why he was hired. There are youtube videos out there that document it. Someone with that kind of reputation should not have an offense that's dependent on one player. When's the last time this offense did any misdirection? When's the last time this offense ran a screen pass? There's tons of stuff you can do within the confines of an offense to mitigate the risk that comes with a freshman QB.

    I think we were sold a bill of goods.


    6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  26. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    I think there's some truth to this, but to play devil's advocate, Moorhead did have head coaching experience (at an FCS school, I know) and turned a losing program into one of the better ones in the FCS while he was there. Also had an upset win over an FBS team (it was a bad Army team, but still, FCS over FBS upsets are notable). I think it's easy to say "why didn't we hire Neal Brown?" in hindsight, and he probably would've done fine here, but at the time Moorhead was considered to be an equal or better option by most experts on the issue. Troy beating LSU that year was a big deal, but they then turned around and lost to South Alabama the next week while scoring 8 points at home.

    Just don't think it's a cut and dry issue. Brown might have been a better hire, but I don't think you can say that for sure at this juncture.
    I was as wooly as anyone when we hired Moorhead. I thought we were getting the next coaching superstar. One of the things I pointed to as evidence of this was the turnaround job he did at Fordham. Well, we aren't getting that JoMo, whether it's because the types of students are different, the job is much bigger on scale here, it's just tougher in the SEC, or he can't handle the additional pressure. Whatever the reason, it just ain't happening.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  27. #67
    You're right, I can't say for sure on Neal Brown. He's the guy I wanted at the time so I'm still pissed we didn't hire him. His recruiting ties to the South were a big factor to me. And accomplishing what he did at Troy was more impressive than Moorhead's time at Fordham-at least to me.

    But a little more digging into Moorhead's 2 years at PSU would have showed we hired a guy who was coaching 2 NFL WR's an NFL TE, NFL RB, and a NFL QB. That's right, he was coaching 5 NFL skill position players his first year at Penn State. Coach34 could light up the scoreboard with that talent.

    I did fall into the media hype on Moorhead after we hired him and I was also just relieved that we didn't hire Pruitt b/c I didn't want a defensive guy as our head coach. And I also thought Pruitt was just a product of Saban and Alabama.
    Last edited by HoopsDawg; 09-16-2019 at 11:56 AM.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  28. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    You are moving the goalposts if you think Jomo's reputation as an offensive mind is just "AD speak." It's why he was hired. There are youtube videos out there that document it. Someone with that kind of reputation should not have an offense that's dependent on one player. When's the last time this offense did any misdirection? When's the last time this offense ran a screen pass? There's tons of stuff you can do within the confines of an offense to mitigate the risk that comes with a freshman QB.

    I think we were sold a bill of goods.
    He made a colossal gaffe by not gameplanning for Shrader all week, and sitting Stevens. Now we've got the same issue going into Kentucky.

    Look it is what it is, the guy may suck, and if it comes to his firing after next year the program will suffer big time, especially with Ole Miss likely hiring a new coach next year and having a one year start on us. The hire really needs to work out if we want to create any separation.


    0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  29. #69
    Defensive Coordinator Shamoan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10,721
    like him or not, we are stuck with sloppy joe until he quits or is fired. que shmuley


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  30. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin Out Yo Wife View Post
    He made a colossal gaffe by not gameplanning for Shrader all week, and sitting Stevens. Now we've got the same issue going into Kentucky.

    Look it is what it is, the guy may suck, and if it comes to his firing after next year the program will suffer big time, especially with Ole Miss likely hiring a new coach next year and having a one year start on us. The hire really needs to work out if we want to create any separation.
    Just so you know, Shrader took reps with the ones all week last week, so you are wrong aGAIN.

    I want Jomo to work out, too. More than you know. I've met the guy personally and I really like him. He's the kind of guy that fits our program personality-wise, and he relates to the kids and seems to recruit better. But there are some serious, serious, serious warning signs that he's not the guy. These signs didn't just appear last week. Instead of calling people idiots and downvoting all their posts, I think some of you should probably open your mind and see things how they are, and not how you want them to be. In this era of college football in the SEC, you can't afford to stand pat when you know that you have a problem.


    7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  31. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    You're right, I can't say for sure on Neal Brown. He's the guy I wanted at the time so I'm still pissed we didn't hire him. His recruiting ties to the South were a big factor to me. And accomplishing what he did at Troy was more impressive than Moorhead's time at Fordham-at least to me.

    But a little more digging into Moorhead's 2 years at PSU would have showed we hired a guy who was coaching 2 NFL WR's an NFL TE, NFL RB, and a NFL QB. That's right, he was coaching 5 NFL skill position players his first year at Penn State. Coach34 could light up the scoreboard with that talent.

    I did fall into the media hype on Moorhead after we hired him and I was also just relieved that we didn't hire Pruitt b/c I didn't want a defensive guy as our head coach. And I also thought Pruitt was just a product of Saban and Alabama.
    I think it was reasonable to think that Moorhead played a big part in Penn State's turnaround at the time. They were terrible offensively before he got there. I realize that he had a ton of talent to work with, but Penn State has always had talent and they were really bad offensively for a long time before Moorhead arrived as OC.

    It's possible the guy is a good coach but the fit here is not great for some reason. It would not surprise me if he were to get fired here in 2-3 years, then go be a head coach or OC at another school and suddenly start having success again. I think it's also possible he eventually gets it figured out here, though.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  32. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    You're right, I can't say for sure on Neal Brown. He's the guy I wanted at the time so I'm still pissed we didn't hire him. His recruiting ties to the South were a big factor to me. And accomplishing what he did at Troy was more impressive than Moorhead's time at Fordham-at least to me.

    But a little more digging into Moorhead's 2 years at PSU would have showed we hired a guy who was coaching 2 NFL WR's an NFL TE, NFL RB, and a NFL QB. That's right, he was coaching 5 NFL skill position players his first year at Penn State. Coach34 could light up the scoreboard with that talent.

    I did fall into the media hype on Moorhead after we hired him and I was also just relieved that we didn't hire Pruitt b/c I didn't want a defensive guy as our head coach. And I also thought Pruitt was just a product of Saban and Alabama.
    On your comment about a defensive coach at MSU....would that really be a bad thing? I've long thought our strength at MSU (and recruiting in the state of MS) was defense, so why not maximize that. The kicker would be getting a guy who had a plan for an offense that could generally work at MSU (like Mullen's). Collins and Diaz fit this mold. And more often than not, defensive guys are great at fundamentals and recruiting. Coaching defense ain't rocket science honestly.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  33. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    Just so you know, Shrader took reps with the ones all week last week, so you are wrong aGAIN.

    I want Jomo to work out, too. More than you know. I've met the guy personally and I really like him. He's the kind of guy that fits our program personality-wise, and he relates to the kids and seems to recruit better. But there are some serious, serious, serious warning signs that he's not the guy. These signs didn't just appear last week. Instead of calling people idiots and downvoting all their posts, I think some of you should probably open your mind and see things how they are, and not how you want them to be. In this era of college football in the SEC, you can't afford to stand pat when you know that you have a problem.
    I don't downvote anything. Never have. If I disagree with you I tell you.


    0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  34. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    You're right, I can't say for sure on Neal Brown. He's the guy I wanted at the time so I'm still pissed we didn't hire him. His recruiting ties to the South were a big factor to me. And accomplishing what he did at Troy was more impressive than Moorhead's time at Fordham-at least to me.

    But a little more digging into Moorhead's 2 years at PSU would have showed we hired a guy who was coaching 2 NFL WR's an NFL TE, NFL RB, and a NFL QB. That's right, he was coaching 5 NFL skill position players his first year at Penn State. Coach34 could light up the scoreboard with that talent.

    I did fall into the media hype on Moorhead after we hired him and I was also just relieved that we didn't hire Pruitt b/c I didn't want a defensive guy as our head coach. And I also thought Pruitt was just a product of Saban and Alabama.
    2 nfl RBs, sanders is Philly starter


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  35. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggin Out Yo Wife View Post
    On your comment about a defensive coach at MSU....would that really be a bad thing? I've long thought our strength at MSU (and recruiting in the state of MS) was defense, so why not maximize that. The kicker would be getting a guy who had a plan for an offense that could generally work at MSU (like Mullen's). Collins and Diaz fit this mold. And more often than not, defensive guys are great at fundamentals and recruiting. Coaching defense ain't rocket science honestly.
    Wow, you wanted Diaz after he left us not once, but twice? No thanks. He would have been a terrible fit.

    We need a head coach with a good offensive system to win at MSU. Our defense will always be fine with a competent defensive coordinator.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  36. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    2 nfl RBs, sanders is Philly starter
    Gracious, he had more talent than Shoop had last year.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  37. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    We need a head coach with a good offensive system to win at MSU.
    Like Joe Moorhead?


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  38. #78
    Yeah - it made no sense. Opening driven I think KSU had all 11 defenders within 10 yards of the LOS. Good luck running into that.

    We also need to see Stevens against a P5 team. We moved the ball well against smaller schools last year too, then sputtered against teams with a pulse. If we don’t get 3 TOs Saturday, I’m not sure we put up 21 points.


    1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  39. #79
    I hope that KT has some sort of injury rather than him just not playing. I have no doubt (others may) that at this point KT is ahead of Shrader as far as being game ready talent wise. If we just forfeited the game against K State because we didnít want to play KT then I really do not understand why he is allowed to be on the team. Maybe he is being punished for quitting.


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

  40. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    How did you feel leaving the stadium after a loss during Mullen's first year? I'll tell you how I felt: "Man, it sucks to lose, but he's really changing the culture of this program and our guys are buying in and playing hard."

    How did you feel after leaving the stadium Saturday? I'll tell you how I felt: "Man, what happened to our team? Where's the toughness? Where's the adjustments? Where's the discipline?"

    Mullen was handed a Pinto and had to work to turn it into something.

    Moorhead was handed a Cadillac and all he had to do was maintain and not screw it up.

    Thus, your comparison is faulty.
    Mullen was handed a pinto? Yea I beg to differ on that one. That 2009 team, Mullenís first year, had:

    Johnthan Banks
    Jamar Chaney
    Cox
    McPhee
    Kyle
    Charles Mitchell
    Broomfield
    A pretty stacked O line with sherrod, saulsberry, brignone and Tobias Smith
    And letís not forget Boobie Dixon

    Far far from being a pinto to me


    Baseball coach got laid | Football coach got laid Yes | No

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
SixPack Sponsors







Disclaimer: Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Mississippi State University or any other Mississippi State sports website. Neither this message board nor its rules and regulations are associated with Scottish & Newcastle PLC d/b/a Bulldog Strong Ale. The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by SixPackSpeak.com. The interactive nature of the SixPackSpeak.com Discussion Forums makes it impossible for SixPackSpeak.com to assume responsibility for any of the content, including photographs and/or images, posted by participants. The ideas, suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, opinions, comments, advice, and observations made by participants of the interactive Discussion Forums are not endorsed by SixPackSpeak.com.


Partner of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties