All of this is Mullen's fault. He himself created an atmosphere where we

expected to win. Not only that but he created a real rivalry with those people up north like we had never seen. So, you can thank Mullen for all this angst. (Please note my sarcasm)

For those of us still around, this isn't all too diff from the Croom year where we lost the 6 players or so because of the gun incident. I know how much some of you hate croom and will immediately jump to say this isn't anything like that...but if you look at the glass half full, Croom beat bama twice and had a killer defense. If he wouldn't have been so bullheaded on his offense I truly think he would have done great things here...but that is just me. Mullen came into a really good situation with super low expectations and a cleaned up program. If you hire mullen first I'm not sure he makes it through those first 3 years with his attitude and having to clean out the Nick turner's in there. Who knows? We are where we are because we built upon the indian burial grounds and maybe nobody ever fixes it :-)

1 out of 5 sixpackers like this post
    Chef Pruitt | Coach Pruitt Yes | No

Oh, and it really is the fault of all you left lane drivers who break the law and drive 90 and expect all slower people to get out of your way in an instant :-)...

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by rebsgoingdown View Post
    expected to win. Not only that but he created a real rivalry with those people up north like we had never seen. So, you can thank Mullen for all this angst. (Please note my sarcasm)

For those of us still around, this isn't all too diff from the Croom year where we lost the 6 players or so because of the gun incident. I know how much some of you hate croom and will immediately jump to say this isn't anything like that...but if you look at the glass half full, Croom beat bama twice and had a killer defense. If he wouldn't have been so bullheaded on his offense I truly think he would have done great things here...but that is just me.
    Yes, it's just you. Croom didn't have anything going for him except Ellis Johnson.

Mullen came into a really good situation with super low expectations and a cleaned up program. If you hire mullen first I'm not sure he makes it through those first 3 years with his attitude and having to clean out the Nick turner's in there. Who knows? We are where we are because we built upon the indian burial grounds and maybe nobody ever fixes it :-)
    This is just revisionist history. Mullen came into a situation not that much different than Croom did. Had some good pieces. Had some big holes. Mullen's second season might not have been as good, but he would have pretty much immediately gotten us to bowl eligibility and that would have made it easier to build on.

For those of us still around, this isn't all too diff from the Croom year where we lost the 6 players or so because of the gun incident. I know how much some of you hate croom and will immediately jump to say this isn't anything like that...but if you look at the glass half full, Croom beat bama twice and had a killer defense. If he wouldn't have been so bullheaded on his offense I truly think he would have done great things here...but that is just me. Mullen came into a really good situation with super low expectations and a cleaned up program. If you hire mullen first I'm not sure he makes it through those first 3 years with his attitude and having to clean out the Nick turner's in there. Who knows? We are where we are because we built upon the indian burial grounds and maybe nobody ever fixes it :-)
    Croom beat Bama twice because Bama sucked at that time. The SEC in general was nothing like it is today. He also lost to Maine, Louisiana Tech, and a bunch of others. Croom is a permanent stain on our football program's history.
    Last edited by Drebin; 09-16-2019 at 10:53 AM.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    Yes, it's just you. Croom didn't have anything going for him except Ellis Johnson.

This is just revisionist history. Mullen came into a situation not that much different than Croom did. Had some good pieces. Had some big holes. Mullen's second season might not have been as good, but he would have pretty much immediately gotten us to bowl eligibility and that would have made it easier to build on.
    To be fair, Jackie left Croom some skill but no linemen. Croom left Mullen some linemen but no skill. For all his faults, Croom did leave the program slightly better than he found it. If anything he lowered expectations so the fans would buy into the next guy (we're seeing the opposite effect now).

But either way Croom was so terrible. Just terrible.

I know how much some of you hate croom and will immediately jump to say this isn't anything like that...but if you look at the glass half full, Croom beat bama twice and had a killer defense
    Dear lord, it's come to this.

Per Football Outsiders, under Croom, we had the 45th, 52nd, 23rd & 51st best defense in the country his last four years (the stat doesn't go back to his first year). Killer defense, my ass. Our final scores were always charitable to our defense because our opponents knew all they had do was score a couple of touchdowns, don't turn it over, and kill clock.
    Last edited by VegasDawg13; 09-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Croom is one of the worst FBS head coaches in the history of the sport. Ever.

Can we please let Croom go?!? Every time I hear Croom I cringe.

These people that keep bringing up Croom really have no idea how bad it was.
    SixPack's Amateur - Professional Golf Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by Diggin Out Yo Wife View Post
    To be fair, Jackie left Croom some skill but no linemen. Croom left Mullen some linemen but no skill. For all his faults, Croom did leave the program slightly better than he found it. If anything he lowered expectations so the fans would buy into the next guy (we're seeing the opposite effect now).

But either way Croom was so terrible. Just terrible.
    Croom wasn't left a good situation, but I think you give Mullen Omarr Conner and Jerious Norwood, and the linemen we had, and he beats Main, UAB, Vanderbilt, which puts us at 6-5. Arkansas also would have been in reach that year. I do think he left a better roster overall for a coach like Mullen, who could make Relf a pretty solid QB. But for most coaches, I think the rosters would have been about equally desirable.

Croom is on the Mount Rushmore of terrible SEC coaches.

We are nowhere close to how bad things were then (but we could be).

Quote Originally Posted by johnson86-1 View Post
    Croom wasn't left a good situation, but I think you give Mullen Omarr Conner and Jerious Norwood, and the linemen we had, and he beats Main, UAB, Vanderbilt, which puts us at 6-5. Arkansas also would have been in reach that year. I do think he left a better roster overall for a coach like Mullen, who could make Relf a pretty solid QB. But for most coaches, I think the rosters would have been about equally desirable.
    No doubt. Any average coach would have won 6 in 2004 at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by DogStuckAtUM View Post
    Croom is on the Mount Rushmore of terrible SEC coaches.

We are nowhere close to how bad things were then (but we could be).
    Who else would be on that, in the modern era? Gerry Dinardo, Will Muschamp, Joker Phillips?

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    Who else would be on that, in the modern era?
    Joker Phillips, John L Smith, and coming soon, Matt Luke
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

J_e M__rhead - Where's the O?