Thread: Just a thought

Just a thought

Would it be dumb to throw the bank at a coach like Gary Patterson? Then let him bring in an offensive coordinator like art briles and keep Shoop. If we want to win we have to be able to pay for it. We play in the best conference in the nation time to buck up.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post
    Hip breakers | Ankle breakers Yes | No

Patterson turned down LSU. He’s not coming here

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAWG44 View Post
    Would it be dumb to throw the bank at a coach like Gary Patterson? Then let him bring in an offensive coordinator like art briles and keep Shoop. If we want to win we have to be able to pay for it. We play in the best conference in the nation time to buck up.
    As I said before, the SEC West is the most expensive division to win games and cost 5-7 million per year (head coach) to win 7-8 plus games/year consistently. See AnM, and 7-8 games is all they will win this year and they are paying Fisher more than that.
    Someone else said, The HC at state just needs to win the games they’re supposed to win and a few they’re not supposed to win but unfortunately it cost very large amounts of money to even do that apparently.

Patterson currently makes $1.5million more at TCU than Moorhead makes at MSU. Also, he has been there since the start of the century and it is a school in a major conference with recent elite success. What motivation is there to move, even if we may him another half million over what he is making now($2mm more than Moorhead right now)- that cant be enough to move such an entrenched coach.

That doesnt even begin to address the hotmess that is Briles. There is a reason why he isnt coaching in college right now...

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Doesn’t Like Tennessee
    Mike Norvell is the highest paid coach in G5. The guy is a proven program builder and great recruiter.

Norvell is a guy we should make a run at, along with Bill Clark, and give them the $$ to bring their entire staffs (the ones they want to keep) with them so everyone gets a raise. They need to be able to implement their programs on day 1 and hit the ground running, not waste time trying to piece together a staff.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    Mike Norvell is the highest paid coach in G5. The guy is a proven program builder and great recruiter.
    Norvell's teams fight like hell every Saturday. I sure hope he's on our sideline instead of theirs when we play them in 2021.
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

J_e M__rhead - Where's the O?

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Didnt Justin Fuente get Memphis going after the Porter era?

Patterson ain't coming, but I would at the very least give Mark Richt's agent a call.

Quote Originally Posted by HumpDawgy View Post
    Patterson ain't coming, but I would at the very least give Mark Richt's agent a call.
    Yeah, let's hire the guy who couldn't win big at UGA or Miami. He will kill at MSU with that 1994 offense.

Fuente's on a downward trajectory at VT. A cautionary tale.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Fuente's on a downward trajectory at VT. A cautionary tale.
    That's right. Be careful hiring coaches from Memphis, UCF, South Florida, Cincy. These are the LSU's and Bama's of the group of 5's.

Twitter
    @clayvaughn33
    Be careful hiring coaches from Memphis, UCF, South Florida, Cincy.
    Don't forget Fordham.***
    I've polished a seat in every SEC football stadium with my butt.

J_e M__rhead - Where's the O?

Quote Originally Posted by $altyDawg View Post
    Don't forget Fordham.***
    The Clemson of FCS. The sole reason I don't want Dave Clawson is b/c he coached at Fordham.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yeah, let's hire the guy who couldn't win big at UGA or Miami. He will kill at MSU with that 1994 offense.
    Yeah, he didn't win much did he?

Coaching Records

Mark Richt 171-64, 73%
    Dan Mullen 85-49, 63%
    Joe Moorhead 11-8, 58%

I'm not saying Richt will win 70% of his games here, but I'm sure you would prefer another Big 10 coordinator with no FBS HC experience. I'll take my chances on the guy with a lot of SEC HC experience and his 1994 offense that is probably light years better than what we run now.

Another comparison:

Kirby Smart - 33-10 .760
    Mark Richt - 145-51 .740
    Vince Dooley - 201-77 .715

Mark Richt was a damn good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Another comparison:

Kirby Smart - 33-10 .760
    Mark Richt - 145-51 .740
    Vince Dooley - 201-77 .715

Mark Richt was a damn good coach.
    surely you don't want Mark Richt. Oh my gosh.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    surely you don't want Mark Richt. Oh my gosh.
    Just because he under performed at Georgia and Miami doesn't mean he couldn't do amazing things here.******

Exactly how did he underperform at Georgia? He's their 2nd winningest head coach ever, .020 behind their current coach.

He coached at Georgia during an incredibly weak stretch of SEC East years (outside of Meyer's brief stint at Florida there was almost no sustained success by any other SEC East program). In the second half of his tenure I believe he won less than 40% of the time against ranked competition. I don't think there's a single Georgia fan who shed a tear when he was fired.
    Last edited by tatedog; 10-14-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by $altyDawg View Post
    Norvell's teams fight like hell every Saturday. I sure hope he's on our sideline instead of theirs when we play them in 2021.
    Norvell has really grown on me. The Memphis boosters I know have made it clear that they are going to make somebody pay an inordinate amount of money to get him.