Sunday morning coffee football thoughts:

MSU TODAY

We were never going to beat LSU and their talent but I have to credit the players for making it closer than I predicted.

I hope Shrader stays healthy this season. I love this kid and his Moxy. He is something we can build a team around. We need to find a guy on defense to be that guy on the other side of the line. I hope our RS OL signees can help out next season.

Speaking of OL, it was amazing how our offense suddenly changed when Darryl Williams was injured. We had two or three penalties in a row if I remember against the offensive line, which we had mostly avoided to that point. We need to eliminate guys who can't play disciplined next spring.

Guidry and Thomas played their best game. I know it sounds like someone yelling in the stands but we really need to throw to Green more than once a game. His YAC is high.

Some of our young defensive players are growing up but we really really need some talent and brains recruited at DB.

We cannot run block against a quality DL.

We are WASTING Kylin Hill trying to only run him up the middle or on a jet sweep. He needs some space to make people miss. He is strong but he is not big enough to just send him up the middle for 3 or 4 yards.

Our effort yesterday was a STEP in the right direction and maybe something we can build upon. We have fallen so far we need to concentrate on steps that lead to something.

Penalties should merit some sort of conditioning penalty on Monday after practice. Wouldn't hurt for everyone to do them anyway but we have to find something like running laps or sprints or something to make these guys think.

FYI, basketball is practicing.

SEC TODAY

LSU is the best team in the league as long as Tua is on the sidelines, but it is still close no matter what.

Bama has the best defense in both crimson and striped uniforms.

Auburn holds it's own destiny in their hands.

Mullenski will limp into the SEC Championship game because of their defense.

I'm glad South Carolina is not on our schedule.

Tenn has talent but a !#@%# moron for a head coach.

MSU has a couple of talented players, great freshman QB, and a completely lost coach.

Ole Miss has some talent freshmen but they are gonna run out of depth down the stretch.

Arkansas would do great in the JUCO.

Missouri needs to be back in the Big 12.

Kentucky is ready for basketball.

Georgia is a coach away from contending.

My CFP Teams today are in order:

LSU
    Clemson
    Bama
    Ohio State

6 out of 6 sixpackers like this post
    Roll Tide What? | 17 You Yes | No

I agree with many of your points. I donít think you should list Arkansas as a Juco Level Team before we have played them though. This post might come back to night you about 2 minutes after that game ends.

" I have to credit the players for making it closer than I predicted." Matt Wyatt commented during the second quarter when both teams were kinda muddling around with LSU leading on field goals "now if we score a touchdown you're gonna see a completely different LSU offense" and voila we scored and they put it in a different gear. With all due respect to you and the team, even though we played with greater effort, O kept the score down.

In the good ol' days, players would run stadium stairs for mental mistakes (bad penalties, fumbles, missed tackles, etc.), but I'm not sure schools can enforce that kind of stuff anymore since it would take away from the limited supervised practice time. You could make it "voluntary" but if there were any repercussions for not doing it then you risk breaking the NCAA rules. If the S&C coach tried to make it part of their workout, it would still be obvious that he was only making the penalized players run the stairs. I think the only way to pull it off would be to have the players demand the other players do it, like the "kangaroo courts" in baseball clubhouses.

But I guess they can run them like Hell in between drills on practice day. Maybe I'm off base on this, and if so someone let me know.

Also, I hate that I typed "repercussions" because it reminded me of that weak ass Finebaum segment on SEC Nation Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    MSU TODAY

Our effort yesterday was a STEP in the right direction and maybe something we can build upon. We have fallen so far we need to concentrate on steps that lead to something.

Penalties should merit some sort of conditioning penalty on Monday after practice. Wouldn't hurt for everyone to do them anyway but we have to find something like running laps or sprints or something to make these guys think.

Overall, I concur with you. The areas above are coaching issues to me (they indicate an undisciplined and/or fundamentally unsound team)

I would say ALL SEC coaches are victims of bad timing as long as Saban is coaching in the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    MSU TODAY

We are WASTING Kylin Hill trying to only run him up the middle or on a jet sweep. He needs some space to make people miss. He is strong but he is not big enough to just send him up the middle for 3 or 4 yards.

Jeez I had hoped after what we saw, this narrative would stop. He doesn't have the speed to turn the corner in the SEC. we tried multiple ways (+5) to get him to the outside in space. We had negative yards almost every time. Off tackle isn't up the middle fwiw. He's not a disciplined player either, and part of that falls on Moorhead. His pass blocking is shit and his attitude is worse. Head is too scared to sit his ass for it. If it were up to me, he wouldn't be starting next week after showing his ass this week.

ETA: I forgot about asking to be replaced on a crucial 3rd and 1 because he was winded after two runs. Head had to take a timeout to get him back in there. He's a "me" player and not a "we" player and it shows.
    Last edited by tenureplan; 10-20-2019 at 05:11 PM.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by thatsbaseball View Post
    " I have to credit the players for making it closer than I predicted." Matt Wyatt commented during the second quarter when both teams were kinda muddling around with LSU leading on field goals "now if we score a touchdown you're gonna see a completely different LSU offense" and voila we scored and they put it in a different gear. With all due respect to you and the team, even though we played with greater effort, O kept the score down.
    This. I doubt it was as much about our effort as it was LSU sleepwalking through the game.

I disagree with his talent but that's your opinion. I am not happy with his temper tantrums on the field. It's one thing to look like you are pissed at yourself, it is quite another to look like you are throwing your shitty OL under the bus.

Please don't repost this on Twitter.**

His pass blocking has improved a lot, but it still isn't great. There was one play yesterday where Gary Danielson was all excited to show how Kylin Hill picked up the blitz. Then when they showed the replay, the tackle pushed the defender deep and Hill pretty much whiffed on him, but he wasn't able to get to Shrader.

I remember that Dawgzilla. I noticed he missed the block totally...lol. And I hate to agre with baseball but O took his foot off the gas. I figured they could score as much as they wanted. That team is awesomely good. Tenureplan....that is my take also. Lee Witherspoon will be a better back. Hill dances in the hole too much. Sometimes ya just gotta head north and hit it. Maybe you can get 2 yards. I don't blame him much for getting mad. His line is hot garbage but they did better against LSU. They tried anyway. Tennessee manhandled them.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Kylin is also not playing as well as he was. Dancing too much. Trying to beat people to the edge that he canít beat. Needs to be putting his foot in the ground and going hard north and south. He used to almost guaranty a 3 yard gain. He isnít getting making those plays like he was.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post