Kylin and the role of running backs in college football...

I'm sure it's frustrating for Kylin Hill to start out like a house on fire against ULL, USM, K-State and KY, and then run into a wall against Auburn, TN and LSU. Moorhead and Shrader may be missing some opportunities to get him the ball more, but still...it's not good for the team to see Hill shaking his head and throwing his hands up after a play doesn't go his way. He's got to keep his cool on the field.

Speaking of running backs, did anyone notice the graphic they put up during the game yesterday about the leading rushers in the SEC?

Name:  Rushers.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  19.6 KB

Three of the top four play for bottom teams. The game has changed. It may be better these days to have a running back who has almost as many yards receiving as rushing. That said, I believe Vaughn at Vandy is leading the league in receiving yards among running backs. 21 catches for 223 yards and a nice 10 yard average. If he only had a better supporting cast...
    Last edited by Beerbully; 10-20-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    The game is always bigger than us, and it's always teaching us.

Roll Tide What? | 17 You Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbully View Post
    I'm sure it's frustrating for Kylin Hill to start out like a house on fire against ULL, USM, K-State and KY, and then run into a wall against Auburn, TN and LSU. Moorhead and Shrader may be missing some opportunities to get him the ball more, but still...it's not good for the team to see Hill shaking his head and throwing his hands up after a play doesn't go his way. He's got to keep his cool on the field.

Speaking of running backs, did anyone notice the graphic they put up during the game yesterday about the leading rushers in the SEC?

Name:  Rushers.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  19.6 KB

Three of the top four play for bottom teams. The game has changed. It may be better these days to have a running back who has almost as many yards receiving as rushing. That said, I believe Vaughn at Vandy is leading the league in receiving yards among running backs. 21 catches for 223 yards and a nice 10 yard average. If he only had a better supporting cast...
    Tailbacks are still very valuable. Yes the game has changed but you still have to run the ball when it gets down to it, especially in bigger games. Usually people who can run the ball, can throw it too. Balance, in other words.

I would say that simple statistics are what is becoming worthless.

Good post. I think itís a very really criticism of Moorhead that we canít get the ball to him in more creative ways.

That said, Hill needs to run the ball better. Heís leaving some yards on the field. I know those jump-defender runs look awesome, but they pretty much guarantee you to be tackled. Heís stepping out of bounds a lot too rather than taking contact.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

According to the bean counting stats guys, Saquon Barkley was a 400 yard receiver in 2016 at Penn State and a 600 + yard receiver in 2017 at Penn State. And that was during Joe MoorBonehead's time as Offensive Coordinator at Penn State - they used screen passes, swing passes, shovel passes, wheel routes, etc. to get Barkley the ball in space.

My personal Conspiracy Theory : James Franklin is the Offensive Genius, not Joe MoorBonehead...also Truman Capote most likely wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird" not Harper Lee.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191020-195215_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	512.0 KB 
ID:	14355

Point taken about balance.

Hill is at 643 yards rushing and 75 yards passing for the season. At this point, it may be tough for him to hit 1000 yards rushing. But if he were to reach 900 plus another 200 receiving, we probably win four of the last five.

Capote, for sure.

Well to be fair he should run for 300 against Abilene Christian. So he should be able to get 57 more against the other 4 opponents combined.***

Will be close

Abilene Christian (4-4, 3-3) has a road trip to Thibodeaux and home games with Sam Houston and SELA before its season finale in StarkVegas. Despite an inexplicable loss to Incarnate Word, ACU has walloped Houston Baptist and outlasted SFA in double overtime to extend its current win streak to two. Playing a Southland Conference team at the beginning of the season is quite different from playing one at the end of the season. The freshmen, by then, will be virtual sophomores, etc. I submit that Abilene, home of good country music and armadillos and such, will be the classic trap game for M-State, which will no doubt be looking ahead to its annual Egg Bowl affair. I'm not predicting an upset, but certainly an uncomfortable first half and corresponding reflux issues.