So was Morris the problem? Or is Arkansas the problem?

In these types of situations, I typically wonder if the University is more at fault for:

a) Not having realistic expectations and an honest assessment of their program when hiring

b) Not hiring the appropriate personality and/or skill set fit for the culture

c) An existing toxicity in the culture that no coach will succeed in despite his best efforts

d) Not hiring well period (arguably similar to a) or b) above)

It's easy to lay blame on the coach, but Arkansas hasn't exactly been the healthiest of environments to coach in nor had a hell of a lot of success despite some of the good coaches they've had.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Plays like a high school | Sounds like a high school Yes | No

A and C,

are you speaking of Auburn?
    Jack may be gone, but he is "EVER PRESENT"

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    The personnel donít fit the scheme at all. Itís a totally different offense from Big Bert to Morris. They had so many players transfer that no matter what he did, there wasnít much talent to work with. Hindsight is 20-20 and it looked to be a decent hire but with all the factors above it turned into a total shit show.

The other issue is recruiting. Itís vital for Arkansas to recruit Texas well and I think that was some of the reasoning behind Morris. It never panned out.

Quote Originally Posted by karlchilders View Post
    are you speaking of Auburn?
    Haha...Some on this board might have assumed I was speaking of MSU, too

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post
    The personnel donít fit the scheme at all. Itís a totally different offense from Big Bert to Morris. They had so many players transfer that no matter what he did, there wasnít much talent to work with. Hindsight is 20-20 and it looked to be a decent hire but with all the factors above it turned into a total shit show.

The other issue is recruiting. Itís vital for Arkansas to recruit Texas well and I think that was some of the reasoning behind Morris. It never panned out.
    I agree with what you said in general, then you say it never panned out. I would argue it might have in a few more years. How do we know? Heís got two classes of recruits in there right now.

I guess at the end of the day a decent coach beats San Jose and Western Kentucky. But then again this stuff happens to a lot of good coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by DesotoCountyDawg View Post

You make good points. I'm wondering if a the SEC losing streak wasn't so pronounced, if Morris would have lasted longer than 2 years.

Where I see University leadership's role is making sure that the situation doesn't turn from bad to dumpster fire. To your point, Arkansas recognized this and pulled the plug quickly. However, Arkansas' actual program status is far from their self-perceived status, and I think this is what is causing bad hires.

Both. Morris isnít a good coach. But theyíve got longer term problems. One of which is continuing to hire coaches completely unsuited for the players they have.

SixPack's Official Farmer DesotoCountyDawg's Avatar
    The SEC losing streak was bad and the losing to G5 schools just made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    Both. Morris isnít a good coach. But theyíve got longer term problems. One of which is continuing to hire coaches completely unsuited for the players they have.
    Why is that a long term problem? Seems they can fix that immediately.

Do you want a quick fix? Because I can give you a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by BingleCocktail View Post
    You make good points. I'm wondering if a the SEC losing streak wasn't so pronounced, if Morris would have lasted longer than 2 years.

Where I see University leadership's role is making sure that the situation doesn't turn from bad to dumpster fire. To your point, Arkansas recognized this and pulled the plug quickly. However, Arkansas' actual program status is far from their self-perceived status, and I think this is what is causing bad hires.
    I donít see how it could get any worse. They are the definition of a dumpster fire. Bad was 2017.

Yeah, that can be fixed. But it requires a program with a history of making bad decisions to start making good ones. No reason Arkansas shouldnít be a consistent 8-win program.

Jerry Jones runs AR just like he does Dallas- Poorly

The thing is, he ran off two of last yearís Arkansas starting QBs to bring in Hicks and Starkel to run ďhis systemĒ and they sucked. He also is responsible for the RB Boyd (who in his defense is very good) and all three starting receivers.

This was the easiest schedule he would ever have at Arkansas and he won 2 games with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfan14 View Post
    The thing is, he ran off two of last yearís Arkansas starting QBs to bring in Hicks and Starkel to run ďhis systemĒ and they sucked. He also is responsible for the RB Boyd (who in his defense is very good) and all three starting receivers.

This was the easiest schedule he would ever have at Arkansas and he won 2 games with it.
    I donít know the answer for you man. I can level for sure, but itís like MS has the exact thing Arkansas needs to succeed (talent in state) but Arkansas has the exact thing MSU needs (money).

Yeah. If you're going to run off QBs to bring in transfers, you should probably bring in transfers who are actually better than the guys you ran off.

The UA fired AD Jeff Long. Then the womenís AD fired Brett Bielema. She very vocally declared she was in-charge and interviewed coaches (multiple failures to hire) until she settled on Chad Morris. It took seemingly forever to hire him. They fired Bert in Nov. and went like 6-8 weeks without a hire. I guess the board of trustees saw the impending train wreck and hired another Menís AD. She left for greener pastures at another university. Now Arkansas has a gigantic mess. At least the new AD seems to be on the right track. Morris was not his pick or apparently anyone elseís except that former womenís AD.
    Last edited by Maroonandwhite; 11-11-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Haven't overcome the Broyles as AD era still

Quote Originally Posted by Maroonandwhite View Post
    The UA fired AD Jeff Long. Then the women’s AD fired Brett Bielema. She very vocally declared she was in-charge and interviewed coaches (multiple failures to hire) until she settled on Chad Morris. It took seemingly forever to hire him. They fired Bert in Nov. and went like 6-8 weeks without a hire. I guess the board of trustees saw the impending train wreck and hired another Men’s AD. She left for greener pastures at another university. Now Arkansas has a gigantic mess. At least the new AD seems to be on the right track. Morris was not his pick or apparently anyone else’s except that former women’s AD.
    If I recall correctly, they were also doing (or not doing) all of this at the same time their neighbor Tennessee had a very public, very visible dumpster fire going on, which allowed Arkansas's similarly terrible coaching search to stay underneath the radar.
    -VH