OT: who here lives in Dinsmor or palisades in the Jackson are

http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/201...dered.html?m=1

Missing HOA funds? Boy I would be livid

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Plays like a high school | Sounds like a high school Yes | No

I live in Palisades. There are some really unhappy people right now. I don't have any inside info other than this also affects the Indian Creek, Dinsmore, Bridgewater, Barrington and Easthaven subdivisions. We have fired Ridgeway Lane as our management company. I would imagine a lawsuit will be forthcoming. We do have some questions for our current board but that will be for a later day.

Maybe the lawsuit-happy gatekeepers in Dinsmor and B'water should have been watching their own houses instead of wasting the last couple of years trying to keep satan Costco from coming to Mississippi.

LOF'ingL

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

If you need an HOA in your neighborhood then you donít live in as good of a neighborhood as you think. I lived in one of these gluckstadt neighborhoods for a few years and hated the HOA. Never could understand what I was paying money for.

3 out of 9 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by ronpolk View Post
    If you need an HOA in your neighborhood then you donít live in as good of a neighborhood as you think. I lived in one of these gluckstadt neighborhoods for a few years and hated the HOA. Never could understand what I was paying money for.
    You say that until your next door neighbor decides to raise free range chickens or he moves his Classic 73 Pinto that he had in high school to the edge of your yard because his wife is tired of it sitting in the driveway.

8 out of 11 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    You say that until your next door neighbor decides to raise free range chickens or he moves his Classic 73 Pinto that he had in high school to the edge of your yard because his wife is tired of it sitting in the driveway.
    A subdivision can have restrictive covenants to stop these things without having an HOA.

5 out of 6 sixpackers like this post

An enforcement body set up for the enrichment of its membership? Shocked, shocked I tell you.

Covenants are as good as enforcement. Who enforces the RCs? [Don't answer the city or county, because that would be showing your ignorance].

The answer is that subdivision restrictive covenants are enforced (1) by an HOA assuming one is set up and active; or (2) by other property owners in the subdivision; i.e., the neighbors. [Hint: neither a city nor a county will enforce subdivision restrictive covenants which are private contractual agreements between private property owners].

Next question: Where there is no HOA, and the neighbors are forced to enforce the restrictive covenants, how do the neighbors go about doing that?

The answer: the neighbors are forced to file a private cause of action in a court of competent jurisdiction and seek a court order requiring the non-compliant property owner to conform their property condition to the covenants.

Last question: Who pays for the private cause of action and its prosecution?

Answer: the neighbor who brings the enforcement action, with a slight possibility of recovering those costs from the non-compliant property owner, assuming that the neighbor is able to prove the violation and assuming the court is willing to order that the fees and costs be reimbursed.

Nothing promotes neighborliness like suing your asshat neighbor over chickens or basketball goals or limb debris piles (Rand Paul). This is why there is a place for having an HOA. At least some level of enforcement is possible instead of leaving the situation up to neighbors to sue neighbors.
    Last edited by Shmuley; 11-11-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    ďIím not going to take anything off the table at this point in time ... but I will tell you this,Ē Cohen began, ďthis person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy.Ē - Intense Bastard, April 5, 2018.

7 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

when we lived in Austin, the neighborhood we moved into was absent children...and we had two young ones. for the first year, we got nasty HOA letters about the position of our dumpster....the height of the grass... the disposition of leaves on the front lawn.... you name it.... WEEKLY. then the next door neighbor died (he was mid 80s)....and strangely, the letters stopped coming.

he was always very nice to us in person, but he'd have had a hard as 17 time suing us in court having to actually be upfront.

Live in an HOA. Hear chickens clucking every morning. See broke down cars in driveways. They donít do shit unless you donít pay your dues.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Yes, this is the problem with the HOA model. Their utility can be abused by dickheads. But HOA boards sometimes have to nut up and tell the dickheads who want to obsess over every 17n supposed violation to "take it to court" themselves if they feel so strongly. That usually shuts down Mr. Passive Aggressive.
    ďIím not going to take anything off the table at this point in time ... but I will tell you this,Ē Cohen began, ďthis person is going to have serious baseball experience as a head coach. This person is going to have made trips to Omaha, Nebraska. This person is going to have expertise in an area of the game and in all facets of the game. And this person is going to make our fan base very happy.Ē - Intense Bastard, April 5, 2018.

Sounds like you needed to get the trash can in, mow your yard and rake some leaves.

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    Sounds like you needed to get the trash can in, mow your yard and rake some leaves.
    nah. still don't have a problem....and no, there's no weeds/leaves/etc. in my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Junction John View Post
    Maybe the lawsuit-happy gatekeepers in Dinsmor and B'water should have been watching their own houses instead of wasting the last couple of years trying to keep satan Costco from coming to Mississippi.

LOF'ingL
    That was Greenwood Plantation.
    -VH

We have a very reasonable HOA fee, and they take care of common area maintenance (and do a good job), have the club house available, pool, tennis, workout room ... plus they don't let residents get out of had with their house and lawn maintenance. And they take care of the large lake we have. Some people will keep their place up on their own, others won't do it unless required to. If HOAs are too restrictive, the simple answer is ... buy somewhere else that don't have restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Junction John View Post

LOF'ingL
    I find it really strange that Mississippi, especially the Jackson area, doesn't have a Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    when we lived in Austin, the neighborhood we moved into was absent children...and we had two young ones. for the first year, we got nasty HOA letters about the position of our dumpster....the height of the grass... the disposition of leaves on the front lawn.... you name it.... WEEKLY. then the next door neighbor died (he was mid 80s)....and strangely, the letters stopped coming.

he was always very nice to us in person, but he'd have had a hard as 17 time suing us in court having to actually be upfront.
    You had a permanent dumpster? No wonder you got HOA letters. And yes, HOAs take care of all the items you mentioned.

Our HOA has an Enforcement Committee made up of residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuley View Post
    Covenants are as good as enforcement. Who enforces the RCs? [Don't answer the city or county, because that would be showing your ignorance].

The answer is that subdivision restrictive covenants are enforced (1) by an HOA assuming one is set up and active; or (2) by other property owners in the subdivision; i.e., the neighbors. [Hint: neither a city nor a county will enforce subdivision restrictive covenants which are private contractual agreements between private property owners].

Next question: Where there is no HOA, and the neighbors are forced to enforce the restrictive covenants, how do the neighbors go about doing that?

The answer: the neighbors are forced to file a private cause of action in a court of competent jurisdiction and seek a court order requiring the non-compliant property owner to conform their property condition to the covenants.

Last question: Who pays for the private cause of action and its prosecution?

Answer: the neighbor who brings the enforcement action, with a slight possibility of recovering those costs from the non-compliant property owner, assuming that the neighbor is able to prove the violation and assuming the court is willing to order that the fees and costs be reimbursed.

Nothing promotes neighborliness like suing your asshat neighbor over chickens or basketball goals or limb debris piles (Rand Paul). This is why there is a place for having an HOA. At least some level of enforcement is possible instead of leaving the situation up to neighbors to sue neighbors.
    This is the quality content that I come here for. Not sarcasm

3 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

This^^. Our POA fee is a reasonable $400/year. It covers a pool, fishing pond, tennis courts, street lights, walking trail,and a few other things. While they prevent folks from building dumb stuff on their property or being completely neglectful, they also aren't sweating me when I let the grass get a hair tall or whatever.

I can assure you some of the louder protesters live in the other 2 subdivisions.

I can name many of them.

Greenwood is closest to the site, but there are only about 30 houses in that neighborhood. A lot of that noise came from the others.

Didn't mean to get us off topic in this thread.

There are reasons... but thankfully we seem to be getting dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century in spite of ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    ^^^spends a lot of time disappointed in SPS^^^

5 out of 5 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by ababyatemydingo View Post
    Wait, are you saying you are not being sarcastic or you don't come here for the sarcasm, because one of those is a lot more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by tatedog View Post
    Wait, are you saying you are not being sarcastic or you don't come here for the sarcasm, because one of those is a lot more realistic.

Was not being sarcastic in my post. but i absolutely come here for the sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    ^^^spends a lot of time disappointed in SPS^^^

17 off, horse hack

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    @missouridawg3
    We currently have a resident with 3 lawsuits against our HOA and itís board members. Itís such a shit show.

What am I paying for?

1 - they cut my grass and trim my hedges
    2 - They took a tree down in my front yard at my request.
    3 - They come by and weed eat, blow away the clippings and pick up the limbs
    4 - They keep the drains open and the curbs cleaned.
    5 - They keep the lake (Cascades) clean.
    6 - They make the neighbors keep their fences decent.

I’ve lived most of my life living in the country where I can piss in my front yard and it’s going to take a real good pair of binoculars to impress my neighbors. We bought a second/retirement home a few years ago in a gated community with an HOA. Needless to say it took some getting used to. Soon after we purchased I added a paver patio, after completing the patio I had about half a wheel barrow load of sand left over so I proceed to dump the sand in a wooded common area and spread it out in a low spot. A 17ing snowbird saw me do it and called the cops, not the HOA board but this 17er called 911. I’m still working in the yard when the cop shows up telling me that 17er want to press charges on me for illegal dumping, I show him what I had done and he just laughed and got back in his car and drove off. I tried to get along with the old bastard but I finally bought a second lot and told him in an owners meeting that I had two votes and I would use both to vote opposite of whatever he voted and that I would outlive him anyway. He was on the HOA board and when his term was up other owners encouraged me to run against him so I did, he got three votes.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    I live in a neighborhood that has been around since the 70ís and itís a very well kept place that everyone manages to take care of without paying $500 plus per year to a management company.

HOA exist because people are too afraid to have a conversation with their neighbors and work something out if a problem comes up.
    Last edited by ronpolk; 11-11-2019 at 07:17 PM.

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

How should one approach that conversation if the neighbor has abandoned the house, but is still current on the taxes,and fails to take care of it?

Guess everybody canít nut up like you and tell folks whatís what.

I live in a neighborhood that has been around since the 70ís and itís a very well kept place that everyone manages to take care of without paying $500 plus per year to a management company.

HOA exist because people are too afraid to have a conversation with their neighbors and work something out if a problem comes up.
    They also exist to be petty ....and not confrontational too.

Thatís it, Iím telling Mr. Kotter!

Nah man you have the wrong attitude. They can have a good purpose. Itís just a basic set of standards, mainly to protect property values. Some developments need them, others do not. They are especially useful for upkeep of common areas.

Just like anything else, they are only as good as the people running them.

Quote Originally Posted by horshack View Post
    Thatís it, Iím telling Mr. Kotter!

you got my sarcasm. bravo

What if you have that conversation with your neighbor & he tells you to go 17 yourself.

Agreed on all account but you can have an HOA do all of that with very low dues if any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    What if you have that conversation with your neighbor & he tells you to go 17 yourself.
    Haha well I guess youíd find out how big of a problem you really had with your neighbor then. Iíve had several different neighbors in my life. Iíve lived in 4 states and neighborhoods with and without HOA boards and Iíve never had a neighbor tell me to go 17 myself. I donít know maybe Iíve just been lucky.

I can tell you without a doubt though, the best neighborhoods Iíve lived in are neighborhoods that regulate themselves without having to pay HOA. Iíve lived in 2 neighborhoods in particular that were older and well established neighborhoods that function very well and have a great sense of community.

We wouldn't need any laws at all, if it weren't for assholes

That's what y'all get for not wanting to live near the pineapples**