Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RPOdawg View Post
    He canít go 6-6. He just canít.
    ^^^Has legit cred.
    MSU Class of 2011

Hip breakers | Ankle breakers Yes | No

If you're gonna fire him for 6-6 next year, why didn't you pull the trigger this year?

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    I don't look at overall records, but product on the field. Those backing Moorhead's 6-6 effort, egg bowl championship, and 10th consecutive bowl game do not grasp how easy the schedule was. If Kentucky had figured out their QB situation earlier, if Ole Miss had not gone full retard.....we have a losing record, and that's just not acceptable. We really should have won 8 games against this schedule.

We all expected a loss against Auburn or Alabama, or even A&M, but we didn't expect those games to be over before the band got into their seats.
    This guy gets it.

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/stephenedavis
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Any rational Male State fan that accepts another 6-6 season should have his man card pulled because he is definitely a pussy. Any female State fan that accepts 6-6 next year doesnít know crap about football and should have to spend the next 12 months barefoot and cooking.
    It does not matter what anyone thinks except a small group of small minded people that got there bragging rights again after decades of having to deal with crap.

The 4th down wasn't a fluke. It was awful defense. Offense was below average. Defense overall was pretty good except for that last drive. Not nearly enough against such a bad team.

1. Probably
    2. I doubt it.
    3. I'd be very surprised.
    4. It can't be any worse.

Anything less than 7-5 in the regular season and he should be let go. If he goes 7-5 in the regular season and loses the bowl game and he should be let go.

What does 5 and 7 or 4 and 8 have to do with Cohen?

Cohen is only leaving if he fails to fire Moorhead If Moorhead needs firing.

1 win or 5 and itís no different for Cohen. He isnít coaching.

If he wins 3 and doesnít fire him or doesnít want to and the powers do, yeah heíll probably go, but thatís true for any number of wins if other things hold true.

Ok flip that and be consistent. In 2018, if Mitchell and Guidry donít drop 2 passes we are 10 and 3. I could name several more that help get to 10 and 3 and possibly 11 and 2.

Stick to funny magazine posts.

Anyone saying 6-6 or 7-5 is just kidding themselves. It will take 5-7 or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    Ok flip that and be consistent. In 2018, if Mitchell and Guidry don’t drop 2 passes we are 10 and 3. I could name several more that help get to 10 and 3 and possibly 11 and 2.

Stick to funny magazine posts.
    I have been completely consistent. It shouldn't have come down to two plays in 2018. We had the best defense on the planet, 2 1000-yard rushers, the SEC's all-time leading running QB and one of the best offensive lines in the SEC. The savant should've been able to muster up a little more offense.

Stop making excuses for that disaster.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by PBRME View Post
    Anyone saying 6-6 or 7-5 is just kidding themselves. It will take 5-7 or worse.
    I agree that thereís almost no chance he is fired at 7-5. But 6-6 is a definite possibility. As Iíve said in other threads, it means we either lose the Egg Bowl or start 4-6 and have lost multiple games to the likes of NC State, Missouri, Kentucky, or someone worse than that. I donít see him surviving that either way at 6-6.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStateUofMS View Post
    Disagree on Kentucky. They were a much better team when we beat them than Ole Miss is now. We pretty much stuffed Plumlee. I think we would have been fairly similar with Bowden. He can't throw AT ALL either. Plumlee is serviceable.

The Dogs played pretty well the other night. Enjoy it. Other than the series when we came out throwing and allowed OM to get back in the game, it was a pretty good effort. The fluke 4th down and awful officiating is why the game seemed closer. We ran the ball most the night like we should have. Even Mullen would inexplicably try and throw it when we were pounding teams. True freshman QB looks good. If we hold on to Marks, we might have some real weapons to contend with. When I watch LSU's offense, it's identical to ours, but they have a hell of a QB and an incredible WR core. Our WR core is meh, so I think we have better days ahead on offense if we can upgrade at WR, which we seem to be doing.
    The defense played well the other night - played their asses off, in fact, except for one horrendous coverage breakdown. The offense was hot ass. aGAIN. And it wasn't for lack of effort, or really even execution. We ran the ball well enough when we actually committed to it. It was about tempo and play-calling. The guy with the huge forehead and the runaway eyebrow is responsible for that.
    Last edited by Drebin; 12-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Hard to say not knowing how good our opponents are. But given what we think we know now, I would say 6-6 is the floor. That would probably mean 4 SEC road losses and 2 SEC losses at home to more talented Auburn and Texas A&M. It would be disappointing, but I don't think you can fire a coach after 20 wins in 3 seasons based on win-loss record. I think 7 or 8 wins is very possible. I predict 4 non-con wins. Arkansas and Missouri should be wins at home. How we feel about the season will probably come down to Texas A&M, Auburn, @ Kentucky, and @ Ole Miss.

Quote Originally Posted by paindonthurt View Post
    What does 5 and 7 or 4 and 8 have to do with Cohen?

Cohen is only leaving if he fails to fire Moorhead If Moorhead needs firing.

1 win or 5 and itís no different for Cohen. He isnít coaching.

If he wins 3 and doesnít fire him or doesnít want to and the powers do, yeah heíll probably go, but thatís true for any number of wins if other things hold true.
    I can't see Cohen falling on the sword for Joe like that if it actually comes to that.

Because coaches usually arenít fired after two seasons unless they are unmitigated disasters. Weíre more in the insanely disappointing camp, but thereís a difference. And that just isnít going to get someone fired after two seasons no matter how big the writing on the wall may be.

I think 7-5 is the minimum level of success required for him to get 2021. This is an even numbered year, and those always set us up for relative success.

I think the ultimate litmus tests are going to be for him to start 4-0 and not go 0-4 against the October stretch of Auburn-Bama-LSU-A&M. We’re gonna have to get one of those 4. If we don’t do both of the above, we’re gonna need a perfect November to get to 8-4 and a 1-loss November would be 7-5. If we don’t do either, it’s gonna require us to run the table down the stretch just to hit 7-5. I think we’ll know by Halloween what our 2021 future is going to be with Moorhead.
    Last edited by Go Budaw; 12-03-2019 at 03:00 AM.

This season was an end zone piss, a missed extra point and a potential OT loss away from being an unmitigated disaster.

We'd give him a second chance if he went 0-12.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    6-6 and he stays, especially if he wins the Egg Bowl. I think Cohen is setting us up for long-term mediocrity.
    Patdog we've gone round and round over the years about Cohen but I think we certainly can agree that he over-thinks himself into mediocrity at times. He did it while coaching and he's doing it as AD. I have no question that the picking and choosing of games for the suspensions was Cohen's idea, in order to reach bowl eligibility. He achieved that, but in doing so, he may have cost us another win or two and also cost us a lot in team morale. Very reminiscent of his constant meddling and tinkering as a baseball coach. When he finally got out of the way and let the players play, the team nearly won the national championship.

A lot of things went wrong this year, but I personally believe that the terrible handling of suspensions was the biggest problem (well, beyond the event that triggered the suspensions). The next was bringing in Tommy Stevens (not because Tommy sucked, but because he was injury prone and the strife it caused inside the locker room). Not to mention it did away with the QB excuse Moorhead had, which lost him a lot of fan support.

Quote Originally Posted by RPOdawg View Post
    He can’t go 6-6. He just can’t.
    Why not? Do none of you realize the state of the roster? We won't have the talent (and maturity) to truly compete until 2021 at best.

Sure Ws: New Mexico, Tulane, Alabama A&M
    Tossups: NC State, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Ole Miss
    Sure Ls: Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Auburn

If you split the tossups, we are right on the 5-7/6-6 line. 6-6 will be an accomplishment.
    Last edited by The Situation; 12-03-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Budaw View Post
    I think 7-5 is the minimum level of success required for him to get 2021. This is an even numbered year, and those always set us up for relative success.

I think the ultimate litmus tests are going to be for him to start 4-0 and not go 0-4 against the October stretch of Auburn-Bama-LSU-A&M. Weíre gonna have to get one of those 4. If we donít do both of the above, weíre gonna need a perfect November to get to 8-4 and a 1-loss November would be 7-5. If we donít do either, itís gonna require us to run the table down the stretch just to hit 7-5. I think weíll know by Halloween what our 2021 future is going to be with Moorhead.
    I would feel better if he found a way to beat A&M or Auburn, but I donít think an 0-4 October dooms him at all. Our November schedule is manageable and itís entirely possible we win our last four.

Would not shock me at all if we got to 8-4 by going winless in October but undefeated in September and November. Talk about a pendulum of emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
    Patdog we've gone round and round over the years about Cohen but I think we certainly can agree that he over-thinks himself into mediocrity at times. He did it while coaching and he's doing it as AD. I have no question that the picking and choosing of games for the suspensions was Cohen's idea, in order to reach bowl eligibility. He achieved that, but in doing so, he may have cost us another win or two and also cost us a lot in team morale. Very reminiscent of his constant meddling and tinkering as a baseball coach. When he finally got out of the way and let the players play, the team nearly won the national championship.

A lot of things went wrong this year, but I personally believe that the terrible handling of suspensions was the biggest problem (well, beyond the event that triggered the suspensions). The next was bringing in Tommy Stevens (not because Tommy sucked, but because he was injury prone and the strife it caused inside the locker room). Not to mention it did away with the QB excuse Moorhead had, which lost him a lot of fan support.
    Good post dude. Common sense comments

True.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedMaroonDawg View Post
    7-5 and we don't look like a bunch of monkeys 17ing a football.
    So I see you are one of those MSU fans with unreal expectations.***

^^^^complimenting himself...pretty sick^^^^

I didn't think the offense looked that bad. We went 10-14 passing which is 71% and no int. Not many yards, but both teams played fairly well. Shrader had that crucial fumble, but other than that, we stuck to the game plan of running Kylin. The zone reads were great calls too to get Shrader into the EZ.

I didn't like the decision to start passing the ball with a lead. Just stick to the run. I remember Dan would do the same thing though. I didn't have a lot to complain about. Offense could have been better in the big play department, but I thought we had a good game plan to win the game. The game looked a lot closer bc of the ending which involved a busted coverage on 4th and 24 and some horrible officiating.
    MSU Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgzilla View Post
    I don't know about "should have" won, but 8 wins was achievable. I think winning 2 out of K. State, Kentucky, and Tennessee was a reasonable expectation, which would have been 7 wins.

Like you, I don't think the overall record is as important as the quality of play. I answered a thread in preseason just that way; for me to keep supporting him, Moorhead was going to have to show some improvement offensively. We did improve a little, but not nearly enough to be satisfied with his performance. Plus the generally sloppy play and apparent lack of preparedness for the team leaves me pretty disappointed.

I was one of Moorhead's biggest supporters -- and I still think its possible for him to correct a few things and get the ship turned back around -- but his total performance so far is not acceptable.
    We did not improve offensively. Per FPI:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/offEfficiency/tab/efficiency

http://www.espn.com/college-football...tab/efficiency

Per Football Outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff/2019
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff/2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
    Why not? Do none of you realize the state of the roster? We won't have the talent (and maturity) to truly compete until 2021 at best.

Sure Ws: New Mexico, Tulane, Alabama A&M
    Tossups: NC State, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Ole Miss
    Sure Ls: Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Auburn

If you split the tossups, we are right on the 5-7/6-6 line. 6-6 will be an accomplishment.
    If you project a home game against Arkansas to be a toss-up, then you project us to have our worst team since at least Croom. There's no way in hell that can still be on Mullen in Year 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDawg13 View Post
    If you project a home game against Arkansas to be a toss-up, then you project us to have our worst team since at least Croom. There's no way in hell that can still be on Mullen in Year 3.
    Arkansas could be a good bit improved depending on their hire. They had a very young team last year\, and they are still an SEC level foe. Yeah we probably do beat them, so that puts us at 6-6 splitting the other tossups.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUDC11 View Post
    I would feel better if he found a way to beat A&M or Auburn, but I donít think an 0-4 October dooms him at all. Our November schedule is manageable and itís entirely possible we win our last four.

Would not shock me at all if we got to 8-4 by going winless in October but undefeated in September and November. Talk about a pendulum of emotions.
    I mentioned this above - but it bears repeating here - if they go 8-4 with the 2020 schedule then he's basically equaled Dan from the standpoint of: Dogs win the games they are expected to and lose the games they are not. Dan mostly got the team to that point Sometimes they would get an upset - What was frustrating about Dan was when Big Game Dan showed up. Team would do well in a big game but come up short and it often appeared it was due to poor game decisions.

I will say this - rationally JoMo really has few excuses in 2020 - it's his QB, his offense, his recruits are coming as 2nd year, etc. Honestly he should make 8-4 given the schedule. All the things we saw this year just aren't acceptable - the false starts, sloppy play, terrible special teams, etc. Also if there is another tutorgate or something like it, a number of people need to be fired. That's just not acceptable.

10-2 or he can drag his own Yankee ass out of here and go kick some 17ing rocks

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    This season was an end zone piss, a missed extra point and a potential OT loss away from being an unmitigated disaster.
    You can play that game all day with numerous coaches at numerous schools.

In 2011, Mullen needed both a miracle punt return by Chad Bumphis (that he initially fumbled about 20 yards behind him) AND a late missed FG in the 4th quarter to keep from losing to Louisiana 17ing Tech at home and finishing 5-7. And that was in Year 3, too.