Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For Next Season: What record allows JoMo to stay vs being terminated

Now that this regular season is over, let's look at next season:
    What must the team's record be at the end of NEXT season for JoMo to keep his job?

What team record ends in his dismissal?

This assumes no tutorgate, etc

My thoughts:
    8 - 4 = everyone relatively satisfied
    7 - 5 = grumbling but people point to improvement
    6 - 6 = coin toss
    5 - 7 = gone - Cohen stays but is on his own hot seat
    4 - 8 = gone + Cohen too.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post
    Hip breakers | Ankle breakers Yes | No

It depends on what Ole Miss does apparently, they are our 17ing standard

11 out of 13 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by tenureplan View Post
    This ^^^^. And their actions appear to be dependent on ours as well. Luke appeared to be fine for another year until we decided to keep Jo. I think UM was as shocked as we were and I think they looked at one another and said “hey this is our chance to jump ahead. If we’re gonna pull the plug, let’s do it now and we’ll be a step ahead of them when they’re likely doing the same thing”.

4 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

I feel like you hit the nail on the head although I think it becomes easier to fire him in year three at 6-6 than year two.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

If there is a "tutorgate" next year he should be fired before the season starts

2 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

I don't look at overall records, but product on the field. Those backing Moorhead's 6-6 effort, egg bowl championship, and 10th consecutive bowl game do not grasp how easy the schedule was. If Kentucky had figured out their QB situation earlier, if Ole Miss had not gone full retard.....we have a losing record, and that's just not acceptable. We really should have won 8 games against this schedule.

We all expected a loss against Auburn or Alabama, or even A&M, but we didn't expect those games to be over before the band got into their seats.

7 out of 8 sixpackers like this post

8-4 will save his job. 7-5 might save it, but it really depends on the eye test at that point. Are we still making dumb penalties? Is the offense still inept? 6-6 or below, and we should fire him.

I'm hoping we start 4-0 with New Mexico, NC State, Arkansas, and Tulane, but I could see us dropping one of those. We'll likely lose to A&M and Auburn, and we'll certainly lose to LSU and Bama. That'll have use at 4-4 going into Missouri and Kentucky. He needs to win at least one of those and probably both. If he goes 1-1 in those games, he needs to look good doing it. Then we need to beat Alabama A&M and Ole Miss to finish the year.

Next season hinges on not losing one we shouldn't then looking good against Missouri and UK.

I don't think he will be fired next year at 7-5. 6-6 may be a possibility I guess- but fewer than 6 wins and he should be out, no questions asked.
    A trained monkey should be able to sweep nonconference and go .500 against Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky and Ole Miss.
    ...Ole Miss fans do not believe in Jesus.
    Dawgstudent, 12-12-13

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

1. Minimum 6-6
    2. Be competitive, disciplined, ready/prepared to play each game. Cut out dumb penalties.
    3. Consistent Offensive output
    4. College level functioning special teams

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

If he goes 8-4, then he's finally equaled Dan at that point and is winning the games he's supposed to win (or getting an upset plus an unexpected loss).

I agree...but apparently what the right people saw was good enough for them.

I think if you have #2,3,4, they should have more wins. I'd say at 6-6 he should be gone.

He's safe at 7-5. At 6-6 and losing the Egg he's gone. 6-6 and win the egg and I think it's 50/50... A lot of us might be kicking rocks again.

One additional thought

If the team goes 6 - 6 with the final loss to UPissNMiss then he's gone.

He can’t go 6-6. He just can’t.

He stays at 1-11 as long as he beats UM***
    Last edited by ddog; 12-02-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    ​"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." LAO TZU

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Any rational Male State fan that accepts another 6-6 season should have his man card pulled because he is definitely a pussy. Any female State fan that accepts 6-6 next year doesn’t know crap about football and should have to spend the next 12 months barefoot and cooking.

1 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Agreed, if you play to that level of achieving 2,3,4 the rest will take care of itself.if they do those things and get nipped by a fg or td I can live with that.

We were completely non-competitive way too much this year.

7-5 gets him a Year 4.

6-6.

I know this is a terrible time for “sources”, but I recently talked to a cigar boy and he said anything less than 7-5 in 2020 and he’s gone for sure.

Which means he will probably go exactly 7-5 and we don’t look any better, decide to keep him yet again and our national nightmare continues

Really pretty simple, the bar has just officially been lowered. Back to the 60's boys.

If we go 4-8 but beat OM he stays. 4-8 with a loss to OM he goes

I agree that he needs to go 7 - 5 to be safe. Anything less and should be shown the door.

8-4 or better = safe
    7-5 with win over UM = probably safe
    7-5 with loss to UM = probably fired
    6-6 or worse = fired

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/stephenedavis
    7-5 and we don't look like a bunch of monkeys 17ing a football.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Twitter
    Post Of The Year

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 652
Size:  236.2 KB

I don't know about "should have" won, but 8 wins was achievable. I think winning 2 out of K. State, Kentucky, and Tennessee was a reasonable expectation, which would have been 7 wins.

Like you, I don't think the overall record is as important as the quality of play. I answered a thread in preseason just that way; for me to keep supporting him, Moorhead was going to have to show some improvement offensively. We did improve a little, but not nearly enough to be satisfied with his performance. Plus the generally sloppy play and apparent lack of preparedness for the team leaves me pretty disappointed.

I was one of Moorhead's biggest supporters -- and I still think its possible for him to correct a few things and get the ship turned back around -- but his total performance so far is not acceptable.

4 out of 4 sixpackers like this post

No idea. Better ask Cohen.

Twitter
    I'm hoping we start 4-0 with New Mexico, NC State, Arkansas, and Tulane, but I could see us dropping one of those. We'll likely lose to A&M and Auburn, and we'll certainly lose to LSU and Bama. That'll have use at 4-4 going into Missouri and Kentucky. He needs to win at least one of those and probably both. If he goes 1-1 in those games, he needs to look good doing it. Then we need to beat Alabama A&M and Ole Miss to finish the year.

Based upon previous experience, I can honestly say I can see us opening with

4-0
    2-2
    1-3

We will see.
    Last edited by IBleedMaroonDawg; 12-02-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Better to ask his puppeteers.

If the team comes out flat and not ready to play repeatedly like this year: 6-6
    MSU Class of 2011

You can't accept the fact you got bad information that said Joe was gone regardless can you?
    MSU Class of 2011

5 out of 7 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    This ^^^^. And their actions appear to be dependent on ours as well. Luke appeared to be fine for another year until we decided to keep Jo. I think UM was as shocked as we were and I think they looked at one another and said “hey this is our chance to jump ahead. If we’re gonna pull the plug, let’s do it now and we’ll be a step ahead of them when they’re likely doing the same thing”.
    Wow you are thinking way way way too highly of the OM Athletic Department. Might want to rethink that one.

ETA: I accidentally upgraded your post.
    Last edited by TheStateUofMS; 12-02-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    MSU Class of 2011

0 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
    I don't look at overall records, but product on the field. Those backing Moorhead's 6-6 effort, egg bowl championship, and 10th consecutive bowl game do not grasp how easy the schedule was. If Kentucky had figured out their QB situation earlier, if Ole Miss had not gone full retard.....we have a losing record, and that's just not acceptable. We really should have won 8 games against this schedule.

We all expected a loss against Auburn or Alabama, or even A&M, but we didn't expect those games to be over before the band got into their seats.
    Disagree on Kentucky. They were a much better team when we beat them than Ole Miss is now. We pretty much stuffed Plumlee. I think we would have been fairly similar with Bowden. He can't throw AT ALL either. Plumlee is serviceable.

The Dogs played pretty well the other night. Enjoy it. Other than the series when we came out throwing and allowed OM to get back in the game, it was a pretty good effort. The fluke 4th down and awful officiating is why the game seemed closer. We ran the ball most the night like we should have. Even Mullen would inexplicably try and throw it when we were pounding teams. True freshman QB looks good. If we hold on to Marks, we might have some real weapons to contend with. When I watch LSU's offense, it's identical to ours, but they have a hell of a QB and an incredible WR core. Our WR core is meh, so I think we have better days ahead on offense if we can upgrade at WR, which we seem to be doing.
    MSU Class of 2011

6-6 and he stays, especially if he wins the Egg Bowl. I think Cohen is setting us up for long-term mediocrity.

Well Crazy Eyes Luke went 6-6, 5-7, and 4-8 and initially was keeping his job until the Network spoke. So Moorhead can go 8-5, 6-6, and 5-7, and the Cigar Boys who averaged a 2.65 GPA at State will think that is an improvement and give him 4 more years.***

I'm more pessimistic on Moorhead than you, but I see a glimmer of hope still.
    MSU Class of 2011

He probably will. And he'll probably keep his job for it.