OT: things to do in Mobile

going to Mobile for the weekend with the wife and 12 year old daughter. Planning on going to the USS Alabama and Bellingrath Gardens for the Christmas lights Saturday. Any recommendations for other activities or places to eat? Thanks in advance.

Pounding faces | Pounding sand Yes | No

Drink airplane bottles of vodka at the hotel.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by msudawg05 View Post
    going to Mobile for the weekend with the wife and 12 year old daughter. Planning on going to the USS Alabama and Bellingrath Gardens for the Christmas lights Saturday. Any recommendations for other activities or places to eat? Thanks in advance.
    Sunday brunch at Spot of Tea is really good. Take the kids to the moon pie store downtown, they have ice cream and stuff for the kids.

The original Wintzell's is pretty cool if you like oysters.
    90 percent of college football teams do not cheat...the other 10 percent are ranked.

The Oyster House and Felix’s on the causeway have good seafood. One of mine and my wife’s favorite places in Mobile is Via Emilia, which is a small Italian/comfort food place near South Alabama. It is a chalkboard menu type place dependent on the ingredients they buy that particular day. Super good food.

If you feel like driving an hour - the Christmas light display at Jones Park in Gulfport is really cool...

My wife is from Diamondhead, and we went to the Gulfport lights last year while visiting her family. It was very well done. Now she’s wanting to check Bellingrath Gardens off her list.

If you want to take a ~30 min drive, check out Daphne and Fairhope. Look up Papa’s Place in Daphne for a Restaurant option and bring your own wine

If you don’t mind driving 30 minutes. Go to Jesse’s in Magnolia Springs. It is my favorite restaurant of all. We drive from Pensacola to eat there at least twice a year.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Callahan’s Irish Social Club, best burger you’ve ever had. Yes it looks like a dump but it a cool place. I think they do a Sunday brunch as well

I think they still have the Christmas lights show at Hank Aaron stadium, but Gulfport's light show at Jones Park puts that in the shade....

I have a vague memory of going to Dauphin Island as a kid. Is it worth driving to? Seems like I remember an old fort being there?

when u get to mobile keep on driving toward florida

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

I always like the tunnel that takes you out of it

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

Hank Aaron Museum then Iron Hand Brewing.

Cross the bay and take the H-181 exit south 1 mile +- to Malbis. Tour the Malbis Greek Orthodox Church there. Old and really pretty. Should be open for guided tours on Saturday.

Definitely jesses. Very good steak. And gambinos in fairhope. Seafood tortellini. Very good. Never really ate much or did much in mobile itself. Couple of decent eating places and bars downtown. The best places are across the bay.