Thread: Shear time

Shear time

How would you compare your current level of wool to January of 2018? This board was suffocatingly wooly back then. We had just hired an offensive savant. Had an amazing defense. What could go wrong? This time around, we hired an offensive genius and our defense sucks.

Some of y’all are just trying to kick as many dead injuns as possible. I’ve been an Leach fan for a long time, but you’ve got to respect the negative possibilities.

1 out of 4 sixpackers like this post
    Pounding faces | Pounding sand Yes | No

Not near as wooly bc we don't have that 2018 defense, but the EEs we got this year from HS and Juco are all really solid and the Juco group somewhat similar to that Juco group from the 2018 team.

I think longer term I feel wooly about Leach, but I'm hoping for 8-4 this year.
    MSU Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jethreauxdawg View Post
    How would you compare your current level of wool to January of 2018? This board was suffocatingly wooly back then. We had just hired an offensive savant. Had an amazing defense. What could go wrong? This time around, we hired an offensive genius and our defense sucks.

Some of y’all are just trying to kick as many dead injuns as possible. I’ve been an Leach fan for a long time, but you’ve got to respect the negative possibilities.
    I think mainly folks are excited that we got a “high floor” hire. We’re still going to suck against Bama and LSU every year and some combination of Auburn, TAMU, and our East rotating opponent most years. There’s no denying that. But locking in another 6-8 years of 7-8 win football would keep us relevant for awhile. At the conclusion of Leach’s tenure, there’s a real possibility that there will be legal adults who weren’t alive the last time MSU missed a bowl game. That’s crazy to think about. And that is the foundation you have to start with before you can ever think about bigger things like SEC titles and national titles.

0 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by jethreauxdawg View Post

Not even close to the same. In 2018 we were coming off an 8 win season with virtually everybody back and a team playing well. January 2020 we are coming off of two years of underperformance and obvious team dysfuction. Can't get wooly again until I see progress on the field.

I'm never woolly. I always expect the worst and hope for the best. Transitions can be tough and I'm not sure we have the personnel to run Leach's offense yet. Which means we might lose some games we're not expecting to lose. If we hit 6-6, I'll be happy.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

Two different types of wool. Going into the 2018 season, we're expecting a big time bowl with elite talent coming back but wondering if a first time HC is going to get us to 10-2 or run the table at 12-0.

2020, being excited to have a pulse on offense thanks to a proven coach and just continuing our bowl streak is much more realistic. All the wool about what Leach will do at State in 6-8 years, not sold on. Air Raid offense in the SEC is still questionable and Mike Leach is 58, how many more years can he do this at a high level?

One thing people need to come to grips with is that next year is not going to be pretty. The Vegas O/U will likely be 6, and no matter who we have calling the plays, our receiving Corp is not going to be what Leach needs

That said, if Leach gets to 7-8 wins with this group while knocking off an Auburn or A&M in the process, the wool will be thick

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post

even if our defense stays in the 70's in total defense, our offense should take a huge step forward (it was also in the 70's in total offense). an offense in the teens and a defense in the 70's is going to win a lot of games and i expect the defense to be somewhere in the 50's next season.

We have mike ******* leach im wooly as hell

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

I never expected Moorhead to come in and win 10 games, so was only moderately wooly in 2018. Figured there would be issues with it being a new staff and his first year as head coach.

But I was a sheep left dying in the ditch after two years under Moorhead. Leach has rescued me from death. Maybe I'll begin to grow new wool this fall.

Hoping for 7 wins, will be happy enough with 6. But I'm thinking 6 wins are going to be hard to come by. Our team is way behind on S and C.
    Also, it will be interesting to see how the team responds to Leach's Way of Coaching.
    I suspect there will be some guys transferring out this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinfeld View Post
    the wool will be thick
    Ahhh, Nathalie!

some things you just know ... and most everyone knows we are in a better position now under a proven experienced HC as opposed to a coordinator we were taking a chance on ..... better mindset = thicker wool (but that may be because I was never wooly with Jo when he got here - just too many questions then

ETA - meant to respond to OP and not to DoggieDaddy

I'm a pretty realistic fan. In 2020, I'm happy as long as we win 6, are competitive in most games, and are entertaining.

We have holes at WR, LB, and in the secondary. Need some Juco guys to help get a pass rush as well.