2022 Football Scheduling Scenario

I was on the Syracuse SBNation site and read an article on 2022 scheduling for Syracuse and it affects MSU in that there are a few Power 5 schools looking for Group 5 opponents and there arenít that many choices remaining. And he makes some guesses what he thinks would be the most likely matchups.

TL; DR: MSU versus UAB possibility in 2022? Plausible. There are other schools though.

Link to article: Here.

Pounding faces | Pounding sand Yes | No

I'd like to play UAB again. It's "their turn" in the USM/Tulane/Memphis/UAB rotation.

I surprised the spot hasnt been filled yet considering these teams know about this huge payout we gave USM for the 2 for 1. Troy also has an opening but we already have a 2 for 1 one with them later in the decade.

BTW, Tulane should never be in the rotation for scheduling again considering how they cancelled on us back in 2016 which allowed UMASS of all team to have leverage on us scheduling. That Boston trip to play UMASS should never be in the cards for any SEC school

0 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

We'll be looking for a buy game to fill the 2022 spot. Don't have room to give another road game until 2027. Tulane changed ADs and football coaches since they cancelled on us. And BTW, the trip to Foxboro and Gillette Stadium was pretty awesome.

3 out of 3 sixpackers like this post

Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    I surprised the spot hasnt been filled yet considering these teams know about this huge payout we gave USM for the 2 for 1. Troy also has an opening but we already have a 2 for 1 one with them later in the decade.

BTW, Tulane should never be in the rotation for scheduling again considering how they cancelled on us back in 2016 which allowed UMASS of all team to have leverage on us scheduling. That Boston trip to play UMASS should never be in the cards for any SEC school
    You can't blame Tulane for 17ing us when voluntarily turned around and bent over for them. Get mad at LT or whoever put that deal in place.

Quote Originally Posted by patdog View Post
    We'll be looking for a buy game to fill the 2022 spot. Don't have room to give another road game until 2027. Tulane changed ADs and football coaches since they cancelled on us. And BTW, the trip to Foxboro and Gillette Stadium was pretty awesome.
    I could see us doing a buy game with ULM, MTSU, or UAB.

Actually it doesnít look like thereís room for an away game until 2028.

Future Football Schedules has us at Troy in 2027.

There may be buy games in 2022 as well as 2024 - 2027.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon Eagle View Post
    Actually it doesnít look like thereís room for an away game until 2028.

Future Football Schedules has us at Troy in 2027.

There may be buy games in 2022 as well as 2024 - 2027.
    I can not believe that we actually agreed to go back to Troy. Anyone that went understands. They are absolutely the most bush league program in the Sun Belt. It's hard to put into words to do it proper justice. They had Thunder Stixx in a lame attempt to have their own artificial noise makers for one thing. But the kicker was their go cart dressed up like an air plane that they drove out after every score. I can't remember the name of it- something like "Falcon one you are cleared for take off on runway T R O J A N!" Their PA guy is the worst in the country. That pass was IN COM PLETE. I digress.

I digress. I guess we could do a 2-1 with UAB where they come to Starkville in 2022 and then we do Starkville in 2027 and Birmingham in 2028.

I think it would be fun to play Tulane at there home stadium. UAB is also building a new stadium.

UAB will have the new city stadium open then (it should open in 2022 I think) so it'll be a nice place to go. It's not huge (I think 45,000 or so) but will suit UAB nicely for years to come. I don't know if they're going to demolish Legion Field or not.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackdog3 View Post
    I think it would be fun to play Tulane at there home stadium. UAB is also building a new stadium.
    We play at Tulane in 2023, I believe itís going to be in their stadium rather than the Super Dome.

I agree. I can get behind and understand going to places like Tulane, Memphis, UAB, etc, but the Troy and La Tech road trips puzzle me. Georgia State would be another road game at non-P5 school that wouldnt be bad.

Don't think tulane plays in the dome anymore

I think that was a great opportunity for our players to get to play in a nice NFL stadium more than anything.

Twitter
    https://twitter.com/stephenedavis
    It's a shame it has to be local. We should play UTSA in San Antonio 2 for 1 and have a cool road game right down the road from me.
    Never argue with an idiot. People watching won't be able to tell the difference.

2 out of 2 sixpackers like this post

That would actually be a very cool series. I'd love to visit the city of my birth for the first time in over 50 years.

With the SEC having aTm, I can see us playing Group 5 Texas schools and San Antonio is a nice city.

UTSAís 2022 non-conference schedule looks set but theyíre looking for opponents the following years.

Though in 2028 and 2029, Texas Tech is already on the schedule as well as of course aTm so I kind of wonder about traveling to Texas at least twice in a season... wait... unless the conference schedule changes it looks like weíre hosting both of them in 2028 so we could go to San Antonio that year.

Yes to UTSA

The issue is, road trips to schools like Tulane and Memphis require a home-and-home. Which leaves you with a lot more expensive buy games than if you do a 2-for-1 with a UAB, USM, Troy or LA Tech. Really need a mix of the two options.

1 out of 1 sixpackers like this post